inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The decade's biggest true-crime stories in the U.S. (by year)

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/16/17 at 4:16 pm

2017: Cosmo Dinardo Murders, Ohio Facebook Live Shooting (Steve Stephens), Delphi Murders.
2016: Todd Kohlhepp (serial killer), Dallas Police Killings, Orlando Pulse Shooting, Murder Of Haruka Weiser.
2015: Oregon Shooting, Lafayette Theater Shooting, Charleston Shooting, New York Prison Break.
2014: Washington School Shooting, Eric Frein Manhunt, Murder Of Hannah Graham, Georgia Hot Car Death, Elliot Rodger Shooting.
2013: DC Shooting, George Zimmerman Trial, Boston Marathon Bombing, Chris Dorner Manhunt.
2012: Sandy Hook Shooting, Murder Of Jessica Ridgeway, Aurora "Batman" Shooting, Murder Of Skylar Neese, TJ Lane Shooting.
2011: Israel Keyes (serial killer), Casey Anthony Trial, Seal Beach Shooting, Tucson Shooting.
2010: Murder Of Yeardley Love, John Albert Gardner Murders.

You probably heard about many of these, but not all of them.

Subject: Re: The decade's biggest true-crime stories in the U.S. (by year)

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/16/17 at 4:24 pm

In 2014 Picksburgh had the Cyanide Murder Case. Perp Robert Ferrante, a prominent researcher at the University of Picksburgh, killed his wife Autumn Klein by lacing her food with the stuff.  He was convicted.

http://people.com/crime/dr-robert-ferrante-found-guilty-in-wifes-cyanide-poisoning-death/

In 2016, in nearby Wilkinsburg, we had the Wilkinsburg Massacre of 2016, in which six people were murdered and three others shot. The perps are still awaiting trial, and a local TV anchorwoman was fired after accurately predicting the profile of the perps before they were identified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Wilkinsburg_shooting

Written By: 2001 on 07/16/17 at 5:52 pm

2017: Cosmo Dinardo Murders, Ohio Facebook Live Shooting (Steve Stephens), Delphi Murders.
2016: Todd Kohlhepp (serial killer), Dallas Police Killings, Orlando Pulse Shooting, Murder Of Haruka Weiser.
2015: Oregon Shooting, Lafayette Theater Shooting, Charleston Shooting, New York Prison Break.
2014: Washington School Shooting, Eric Frein Manhunt, Murder Of Hannah Graham, Georgia Hot Car Death, Elliot Rodger Shooting.
2013: DC Shooting, George Zimmerman Trial, Boston Marathon Bombing, Chris Dorner Manhunt.
2012: Sandy Hook Shooting, Murder Of Jessica Ridgeway, Aurora "Batman" Shooting, Murder Of Skylar Neese, TJ Lane Shooting.
2011: Israel Keyes (serial killer), Casey Anthony Trial, Seal Beach Shooting, Tucson Shooting.

I only heard of these. They made international news.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/16/17 at 6:19 pm

I only heard of these. They made international news.

You mean to say that you're unfamiliar with the whole Casey Anthony debacle?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/16/17 at 7:03 pm

The ones in bold I know of.

Though, I did have to search some of them up to refresh my memory.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/16/17 at 7:23 pm

The ones in bold I know of.

Though, I did have to search some of them up to refresh my memory.

You seem to know a lot. Do you hae a particular interest in true crime?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/16/17 at 7:26 pm

You seem to know a lot. Do you hae a particular interest in true crime?

Nope, I don't.

Half of the events I highlighted I forgot about and just looked them up and remembered. The others were really big & newsworthy events.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/16/17 at 7:41 pm

Nope, I don't.

Half of the events I highlighted I forgot about and just looked them up and remembered. The others were really big & newsworthy events.

Ah, yeah, I know of all those incidents for the simple reason that true-crime is an interest of mine and I follow the news constantly (though this barrage of Trump-age political BSing is making me turn my head)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/16/17 at 7:45 pm

Ah, yeah, I know of all those incidents for the simple reason that true-crime is an interest of mine and I follow the news constantly (though this barrage of Trump-age political BSing is making me turn my head)

I'm honestly very tired of the Trump news. I just wish that it was over :-\\.

Written By: 2001 on 07/16/17 at 9:16 pm

I looked it up and it doesn't ring any bells.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 07/17/17 at 3:31 pm

She was convicted and appeared in a court appearance.

Written By: Howard on 07/17/17 at 3:33 pm

just the ones I highlighted.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/17/17 at 5:44 pm

Trayvon Martin's murder happened in late February 2012 and was big news.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/17/17 at 6:45 pm

Trayvon Martin's murder happened in late February 2012 and was big news.

You're right, it did. But the magnitude of the trial was the most astounding. Everyone, left and right, wanted to know the outcome. The traditional MSM was going crazy but so was pretty much every alternative media news source from Breitbart to DailyKOS to BuzzFeed. And, boy, were people talking. I was 15, it was the summer before my freshman year of HS, and I was following the trial like a hound.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/17/17 at 9:59 pm

You're right, it did. But the magnitude of the trial was the most astounding. Everyone, left and right, wanted to know the outcome. The traditional MSM was going crazy but so was pretty much every alternative media news source from Breitbart to DailyKOS to BuzzFeed. And, boy, were people talking. I was 15, it was the summer before my freshman year of HS, and I was following the trial like a hound.

The verdict in the Trial of George Zimmerman happened on my 14th birthday (July 13, 2013). I followed the trial closely and was disappointed to say the least with the verdict.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/18/17 at 7:32 pm

The verdict in the Trial of George Zimmerman happened on my 14th birthday (July 13, 2013). I followed the trial closely and was disappointed to say the least with the verdict.

2011 and 2016 actually seem quite different for being five years apart. I sometimes find it fascinating to believe that 2016 was just five years after 2011.

2011: Mass shootings were still not yet "ingrained" in society, Black Lives Matter didn't exist yet, ISIS was not really known yet, "beta male" wasn't a thing yet, SJW's and alt-right both didn't really exist yet, gay marriage wasn't legal yet (I am not against gay marriage), marijuana wasn't legal for recreational usage yet, no one really knew too much about stuff like Snapchat and Instagram (at least where I live), electropop still existed, Miley Cyrus and Amanda Bynes were both still "normal", no concern over North Korea's missile yet, no one really talked about Ukraine and Russia yet

2016: Electropop is long gone, mass shootings are "ingrained" in society, SJW's and the Alt-right both existed, ISIS is a household name, fear and moral panic is everywhere over the North Korean missile, Black Lives Matter has become a thing due to the deaths of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown, gay marriage is legal (again, not against gay marriage here), marijuana is legal for recreational use in some states, Snapchat and Instagram are household names for social media outlets (and even other stuff like Musical.ly and VSCO), electropop is replaced with trap and EDM, "beta male" is a thing, Bynes and Cyrus were past their "meltdown" phases, Ukraine and especially Russia were in everyone's heads

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/18/17 at 7:35 pm

2011 and 2016 actually seem quite different for being five years apart. I sometimes find it fascinating to believe that 2016 was just five years after 2011.

2011: Mass shootings were still not yet "ingrained" in society, Black Lives Matter didn't exist yet, ISIS was not really known yet, "beta male" wasn't a thing yet, SJW's and alt-right both didn't really exist yet, gay marriage wasn't legal yet (I am not against gay marriage), marijuana wasn't legal for recreational usage yet, no one really knew too much about stuff like Snapchat and Instagram (at least where I live), electropop still existed, Miley Cyrus and Amanda Bynes were both still "normal", no concern over North Korea's missile yet, no one really talked about Ukraine and Russia yet

2016: Electropop is long gone, mass shootings are "ingrained" in society, SJW's and the Alt-right both existed, ISIS is a household name, fear and moral panic is everywhere over the North Korean missile, Black Lives Matter has become a thing due to the deaths of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown, gay marriage is legal (again, not against gay marriage here), marijuana is legal for recreational use in some states, Snapchat and Instagram are household names for social media outlets (and even other stuff like Musical.ly and VSCO), electropop is replaced with trap and EDM, "beta male" is a thing, Bynes and Cyrus were past their "meltdown" phases, Ukraine and especially Russia were in everyone's heads

LOL, what does that have to do with my comment?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/18/17 at 9:03 pm

LOL, what does that have to do with my comment?

I know that it doesn't have anything to do with your comment, but do you agree with my post?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/18/17 at 9:08 pm

I know that it doesn't have anything to do with your comment, but do you agree with my post?

Oh OK, yeah I agree with it.

Check for new replies or respond here...