inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is it just me or did the late 2000's/early 2010's feel empty?

Written By: Lizardmatum on 07/19/17 at 7:17 am

Does anyone else remember the late 2000's and early 2010's feeling kind of empty? I don't really know how to explain it but at this time there just seemed to be this void and an empty feeling like something was missing especially compared to the mid 2000's or even mid 2010's which felt kind of pop culturally full and heavy in a way. Maybe it was because we were going through an economic crisis at the time and it felt like the world had come to a standstill and all the colorful and upbeat fashion and music was covering up this feeling? I personally love the era which is pretty obvious but I was just wondering if anyone else felt this way about it or noticed what I mean.

Subject: Re: Is it just me or did the late 2000's/early 2010's feel empty?

Written By: bchris02 on 07/19/17 at 1:57 pm

Does anyone else remember the late 2000's and early 2010's feeling kind of empty? I don't really know how to explain it but at this time there just seemed to be this void and an empty feeling like something was missing especially compared to the mid 2000's or even mid 2010's which felt kind of pop culturally full and heavy in a way. Maybe it was because we were going through an economic crisis at the time and it felt like the world had come to a standstill and all the colorful and upbeat fashion and music was covering up this feeling? I personally love the era which is pretty obvious but I was just wondering if anyone else felt this way about it or noticed what I mean.

The late '00s and early '10s were the best years of my life.  It was a major improvement over the mid '00s and was much better than the mid '10s.

Written By: 2001 on 07/19/17 at 2:38 pm

I'm not 100% sure what is meant by this.  :-[

Written By: Lizardmatum on 07/19/17 at 3:20 pm

The late '00s and early '10s were the best years of my life.  It was a major improvement over the mid '00s and was much better than the mid '10s.

I agree I feel this way as well. 
I'm not 100% sure what is meant by this.  :-[

I guess what I'm trying to say is that in the late 2000's and early 2010's pop culture was less saturated. whereas in the mid 2000's and the mid 2010's it was more heavy. I 'm finding so far that I prefer the late and early parts of each decade as opposed to the mid section because I personally find the end and start of a decade to have a more relaxed or less over saturated feel when it comes to the pop culture of things like fashion and atmosphere. Who knows maybe it's just me  :-\\

Written By: John Titor on 07/19/17 at 6:28 pm

I agree 100% the feeling started around 2008

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/19/17 at 10:22 pm

Nope. I want to go back. The mid-2010s is trash.

8)

Written By: Longaotian00 on 07/20/17 at 12:10 am

8)

WHY?! >:( what makes u think the mid 2010s are trash??

Written By: 80sfan on 07/20/17 at 1:47 am

I loved watching Youtube videos during the 2008 to 2011 era.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/20/17 at 10:50 am

8)

I agree.  I am quite ready for mid '10s culture to be over.  Soulless EDM that's hard to sing or dance to and trap rap are getting very old by this point.

Sometimes I miss 2009-2012 so much it's actually physically painful.  Those were the best years of my life.

Written By: 2001 on 07/20/17 at 5:11 pm

8)

But we're in the late 2010s!

Written By: exodus08 on 07/20/17 at 5:27 pm

Miss the 2000s

Written By: wixness on 07/20/17 at 5:40 pm

Yeah the music was awful but as one of the users said, I would like to go back, since this was the last time in this new millennium that long hair on guys was cool.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/20/17 at 11:24 pm

I think the mid-2010s (previously I made an error and said 2010s) is trash because mid 2010s music is very uneventful and overly calculated but not intellectual. 2008-2012 was the first time I ever felt like both mainstream culture and Indie culture, was average or above average. The mainstream music was empty, but mainstream music, in general, is 90% soulless. At least you could dance to the soulless music of 2008-2012. Tell me what's so non-empty about mid-2010s music.

THAT'S NOT RHETORICAL.

SERIOUSLY.

I WANT TO KNOW.

I like rock, but I don't care for most pop punk. I didn't care for most shake ya ass rap nor did I care for most "I'm hardcore and I hate life" rock. That was most of the 2000s for me.

Something changed back in 2008. I also kind of changed in 2008. The culture changed.I disliked George Bush ever since he pulled this country into a thousand war in Iraq and I really appreciated when most of the country was ready for him to hit the road back in 2008. I went from being someone who would barely sway to someone who'd fully express themselves on the dance floor. Trust me. Going wild on the dancefloor is SOOO much fulfilling than standing around or simply swaying. When the music moves you, fking move!

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/20/17 at 11:26 pm

But we're in the late 2010s!

But we can't make an assessment of the late 2010s until it is done.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 07/21/17 at 12:19 am

I think the 2010s is trash because I didn't care for 2000-2007. 2008 was the first time I ever felt like both mainstream culture and Indie culture, were all average or above at the same time.

I'm confused. You tell me the reason you think the 2010s are trash is because you didn't like the 2000s!?!  ???

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/21/17 at 12:23 am

I'm confused. You tell me the reason you think the 2010s are trash is because you didn't like the 2000s!?!  ???

I just edited my post. lol. I melded your op with my thoughts about an op in the 2000s board in my head.

Written By: PaperSkin on 07/21/17 at 3:35 pm

For me I didnt mind the early 2010s afted 2012 so 2013i onwards as there was still loads of things not just pop culture wise but life was much more interesting the olympics was held in my city 2011 was my favourite year had lots of nice trips and holidays some of my favourite films and TV Shows was out then and etc. 2010 I didnt mind because it still felt part of the 2000s for me which was my best decade.

I think 2014 to present has been the worst years tbh

Written By: Escondudo on 07/22/17 at 4:03 pm

It's a very subjective question, but I disliked the late 2000s very much as well. I spent most of that time retreating to 80s  and early 90s music, which I like, but didn't want to rely on.

The films were also quite weak, with the sole exception of The Dark Knight. Avatar sucked, by the way. I also don't like super hero movies. Directors don't use CGI  in a way that helps me suspend disbelief. It looks fake. Ticket sales don't equal quality. (Rant done.)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/22/17 at 4:18 pm

The films were also quite weak, with the sole exception of The Dark Knight. Avatar sucked, by the way. I also don't like super hero movies. Directors don't use CGI  in a way that helps me suspend disbelief. It looks fake. Ticket sales don't equal quality. (Rant done.)
I have a feeling this means you don't like most of today's movies since they have a superhero theme to them. I don't blame you at all for that. Now, I actually do like the films, but there are too many of them.

Written By: Escondudo on 07/22/17 at 6:09 pm

The dramas, comedies, and indie films are good. The action comedies of this time are especially entertaining. So, I'm fine  ;D

I have a feeling this means you don't like most of today's movies since they have a superhero theme to them. I don't blame you at all for that. Now, I actually do like the films, but there are too many of them.

Written By: PaperSkin on 07/22/17 at 8:09 pm

The only Superhero films I like are Deadpool Amazing Spiderman and GOTG (Although the second one felt worse than the first) the rest are just meh too me, I dont really enjoy this decade because its making too many superhero films that it seems generic now. I rarely go to the cinemas now unless the film is very very exceptional.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/22/17 at 8:22 pm

The dramas, comedies, and indie films are good. The action comedies of this time are especially entertaining. So, I'm fine  ;D
Well, that's good. Yeah, I've seen some of them you mentioned and while they are good, they seem to have the dark and serious vibe which comes off too strong.

The only Superhero films I like are Deadpool Amazing Spiderman and GOTG (Although the second one felt worse than the first) the rest are just meh to me, I don't really enjoy this decade because it's making too many superhero films that it seems generic now. I rarely go to the cinemas now unless the film is very very exceptional.
Yeah, I agree. The directors have gone overboard with he superhero films, and irt's getting tiring. I wish there was more variety like before.

Hey, what's your favorite decade?

Written By: Escondudo on 07/22/17 at 9:51 pm

You weren't asking me, but my favorite decade is the 90s.  ;D

Well, that's good. Yeah, I've seen some of them you mentioned and while they are good, they seem to have the dark and serious vibe which comes off too strong.
Yeah, I agree. The directors have gone overboard with he superhero films, and irt's getting tiring. I wish there was more variety like before.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/22/17 at 10:14 pm

You guys just don't seem to care about superheroes in general. That's why the over abundance of superhero movies seem boring. The 2010s and early 2020s have and will bring so many superheros, supervillians and other comic book characters to the big screen when they for so long haven't been on the big screen or got little attention. It's a great thing in my view. However, of course you guys don't have to like them

Written By: bchris02 on 07/22/17 at 10:39 pm

You guys just don't seem to care about superheroes in general. That's why the over abundance of superhero movies seem boring. The 2010s and early 2020s have and will bring so many superheros, supervillians and other comic book characters to the big screen when they for so long haven't been on the big screen or got little attention. It's a great thing in my view. However, of course you guys don't have to like them

I don't dislike superhero movies.  There are some that I've liked such as Guardians of the Galaxy and most of the Captain Americas.  However, it's not my favorite genre or anything and I can take or leave most of them.

I think the issue, and I think Star Wars is in danger of this just as Marvel is, is overhype and overexposure. 

Written By: Brian06 on 07/22/17 at 10:45 pm

I'm actually not THAT big of a fan of circa 2010 to be honest, though I still liked it better then than now. I liked Lady Gaga and all that but idk I guess I'm more of a Christina Aguilera and Beyonce fan at heart really. Genie In A Bottle any day over Poker Face as much as I like Gaga. So for me I prefer 2000 or 2005 to say 2010 generally.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/22/17 at 11:22 pm

I'm actually not THAT big of a fan of circa 2010 to be honest, though I still liked it better then than now. I liked Lady Gaga and all that but idk I guess I'm more of a Christina Aguilera and Beyonce fan at heart really. Genie In A Bottle any day over Poker Face as much as I like Gaga. So for me I prefer 2000 or 2005 to say 2010 generally.

I was in 8th grade when Genie In A Bottle was popular.  I was a young adult during the Lady Gaga era.  I can't imagine spending my young adulthood during the late '90s/early '00s (instead of the late '00s/early '10s).  It would have been cool to get into rave culture of ca. 2000.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/22/17 at 11:35 pm

I was in 8th grade when Genie In A Bottle was popular.  I was a young adult during the Lady Gaga era.  I can't imagine spending my young adulthood during the late '90s/early '00s (instead of the late '00s/early '10s).  It would have been cool to get into rave culture of ca. 2000.

Yeah I mean I'm around your age, but I mean I just hold c. 2000 with a certain degree of nostalgia that I guess I'd consider more special to me personally than c. 2010 music. That late '90s-early '00s music was like the first stuff I truly loved and I guess it seems more special for that. When I hear "No Scrubs" I get all warm and fuzzy thinking about when I was some 12 year old who had no clue how crappy people can be and a catchy pop song was THE WORLD to me. Of course I was just like a young teenager then as opposed to a young adult in my early 20s like in 2010. 2000 is like the old days now to me that actually seems like truly a very long time ago to me now, 2010 is more I miss it but I suppose I still sort of tie it to the present. Maybe it's that 2010 isn't old enough yet I don't know.  :-\\ You sort of get what I'm saying don't you though?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/22/17 at 11:37 pm

I don't dislike superhero movies.  There are some that I've liked such as Guardians of the Galaxy and most of the Captain Americas.  However, it's not my favorite genre or anything and I can take or leave most of them.

Fair enough.

I think the issue, and I think Star Wars is in danger of this just as Marvel is, is overhype and overexposure.

Star Wars is always going to be a bit overhyped. However, The Force Awakens was great. I also heard that Rogue One was great (even though I didn't watch it). The Last Jedi seems like it's going to be awesome as well and I can't wait for it.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/23/17 at 3:09 am

Oh definitely. That's why I always say everything started to suck in 2008 and the early 2010s were a depressing time. This was probably because of the economic crisis.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/23/17 at 3:12 am

You like the mid 2010s?  :) FINALLY someone on here besides me who doesn't mind the mid 2010s. It's refreshing hearing someone not hate and talk bad about it haha. I think the early 2010s were a lot worse. If things keep going how they are now in 2017 for the rest of the 2010s, then the mid 2010s will be the best era of the decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/23/17 at 3:15 am

For me I didnt mind the early 2010s afted 2012 so 2013i

Totally agree with this. In fact 2012 was the worst year of my life, and 2013 was actually one of the best years of my life! If there is anything to save the early 2010s it is 2013. But I didn't like 2010 - 2012.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/23/17 at 5:26 am

You like the mid 2010s?  :) FINALLY someone on here besides me who doesn't mind the mid 2010s. It's refreshing hearing someone not hate and talk bad about it haha. I think the early 2010s were a lot worse. If things keep going how they are now in 2017 for the rest of the 2010s, then the mid 2010s will be the best era of the decade.

I think a big part of the reason why I liked the early 2010s was that the indie music scene was on a roll. I think if it wasn't for that, I might have felt different, but I highly doubt it.

Written By: PaperSkin on 07/25/17 at 8:14 pm

My favourite decade is without a doubt the 2000s, society was less complicated, life was simple, everyone wasn't obssessed over politics and the world felt more casual rather than against each other, I loved Watching Disney, Nick and Cartoon Network, playing computer games and playing my Nintendo Wii with my friends while playing with a camcorder and I preferr the Music and TV from that period too, I loved watching MTV and Reality TV shows then and sitcoms. Whereas nowadays I just constantly watch Netflix. Even though there was less then it still felt like there was more, if that makes sense.

I also enjoyed the early 2010s  especially 2010-2012 and sometimes even 2013.  Why do people like Mid 2010s curious lol?

Written By: wixness on 07/25/17 at 8:17 pm

My favourite decade is without a doubt the 2000s, society was less complicated, life was simple, everyone wasn't obssessed over politics and the world felt more casual rather than against each other, I loved Watching Disney, Nick and Cartoon Network, playing computer games and playing my Nintendo Wii with my friends while playing with a camcorder and I preferr the Music and TV from that period too, I loved watching MTV and Reality TV shows then and sitcoms. Whereas nowadays I just constantly watch Netflix. Even though there was less then it still felt like there was more, if that makes sense.

I also enjoyed the early 2010s  especially 2010-2012 and sometimes even 2013.  Why do people like Mid 2010s curious lol?

The hipster or 90s aesthetic, but also maybe when same sex marriage was a thing for more countries than ever.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/25/17 at 8:34 pm

I don't love the mid '10s but they are wayy better than the early '10s. I'm one of the only ones on here who don't hate the mid 2010s and despise the early '10s haha. I do love the 2000s though.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/25/17 at 9:50 pm

Are you sure people weren't obsessed with politics, society was less complicated and life was simpler oooorrr.........were you just really young?  ;)

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/25/17 at 9:54 pm

I actually watch more television these days than I ever did during the 2000s.

Of course some of that probably had to do with me being a broke college student at the time, but still.  :)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/25/17 at 10:05 pm

Are you sure people weren't obsessed with politics, society was less complicated and life was simple oooorrr.........were you just really young?  ;)

I get the impression that he was born sometime in the Early 2000s. :P

Written By: Bab2781 on 07/31/17 at 9:19 am

I think the early 2010's have been the best years so far. That being 2010-2012. Now 2012 is my favorite year of this decade when it comes to movies and music.

Written By: John Titor on 10/30/17 at 4:09 pm

Was thinking about this today and yes you are right

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/30/17 at 8:36 pm

2007-2008 was colourful and upbeat. 2009-2012 felt downtrodden because of the crisis and the 2012 fear. Cartoons and video games started getting worse around that time. The former hasn't really recovered since, but the latter has improved immensely as indies rose to prominence and the AAA scene has declined in importance and stopped using focus test groups full of 12 year old's.

Written By: John Titor on 10/31/17 at 10:28 am

2007-2008 was colourful and upbeat. 2009-2012 felt downtrodden because of the crisis and the 2012 fear. Cartoons and video games started getting worse around that time. The former hasn't really recovered since, but the latter has improved immensely as indies rose to prominence and the AAA scene has declined in importance and stopped using focus test groups full of 12 year old's.

late 2009 is when things started feeling like very colorless very blasie blah, yes we had upbeat songs from Gaga, Kesha, Black eyed peas, but it still felt empty as hell.

You could tell pop culture was trying tho, 2010 and 2011 did have this almost y2k like vibe to it, but it felt super half assed.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/31/17 at 1:02 pm

I loved loved loved the late 2000s/early 2010s. I partied through the great recession. Sucks for those who didn't. You're one day closer to never having the chance to have those experiences.

Live ya life b!tches.  8)

Written By: Slim95 on 10/31/17 at 1:33 pm

The early 2010s had a colourful, upbeat vibe but it felt fake and forced. Yeah it was pretty empty. Everything felt superficial and materialistic.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/31/17 at 1:36 pm

It seems like it was a very polarizing era.  Most people either loved it or hated it.

Personally it was the best era of my life and I am not sure I'll ever experience another era that comes close.  I miss it so much it hurts sometimes.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/31/17 at 1:50 pm

The early 2010s had a colourful, upbeat vibe but it felt fake and forced. Yeah it was pretty empty. Everything felt superficial and materialistic.

The mid 2010s try to seem meaningful, but it felt fake and forced.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/31/17 at 2:11 pm

The mid 2010s try to seem meaningful, but it felt fake and forced.

No it really didn't. That's what I liked about it. Nothing felt fake and forced and it wasn't trying to be anything it wasn't. It was real and authentic. Gritty darker culture is my favourite because it's raw and real and more down to earth. It wasn't perfect or the best era ever by any stretch, but I did enjoy it a lot. Also put "tried" as in past tense because we are in the late 2010s now and the mid 2010s are behind us.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/31/17 at 2:14 pm

Even though 2010s culture is more defined by early 2010s trends overall, I am very glad we took a step into another direction around 2013 in terms of culture. I know most people disagree with me and think culture turned for the worst in 2013, I would say it was a good step in direction. As for the late 2010s, 2016 took culture into a pretty bad direction to be honest. The music that is out these days and the overall trends really suck.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/31/17 at 2:31 pm

The Late 2000s like 2008/9 I agree were pretty crap. However I think the Early 2010s like 2010/11 were a lot better

Written By: Slim95 on 10/31/17 at 2:36 pm

I loved the late 2000s personal-life wise, literally my favourite era for my personal life. My life was great back then. Culturally it was pretty bad. Not terrible but not great. As time passes the culture of that era starts to grow on me but it will never be as awesome as the early and mid 2000s.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/31/17 at 2:38 pm

I loved the late 2000s personal-life wise, literally my favourite era for my personal life. My life was great back then. Culturally it was pretty bad. Not terrible but not great. As time passes the culture of that era starts to grow on me but it will never be as awesome as the early and mid 2000s.

Yeah. I prefer the Early/Mid 2000s a lot more.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/31/17 at 2:40 pm

Yeah. I prefer the Early/Mid 2000s a lot more.

I enjoyed the culture of that time a lot.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/31/17 at 2:44 pm

The one positive of the early 2010s I can think of is the economy (here in Canada). We were very economically strong during this time, These were the days when the loonie was at 90 cents USD (now it's not even 80 cents). I miss the days when I was able to buy U.S. products and not pay a fortune because our loonie was almost on par with the US dollar. Alberta started booming again after the great recession, jobs were everywhere, we were doing better economically than the U.S. at the time (relatively speaking) because they got hit hard from the 2009 recession. Now the economy is really bad here and the 2015 recession hit us much harder than the 2009 recession. So yeah I miss the economy and where Canada was at during that time. I also get nostalgic for Jack Layton winning official opposition in the 2011 election and Harper not screwing over the country yet. Those were good times politically.  8)

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/31/17 at 2:46 pm

The one positive of the early 2010s I can think of is the economy (here in Canada). We were very economically strong during this time, These were the days when the loonie was at 90 cents USD (now it's not even 80 cents). I miss the days when I was able to buy U.S. products and not pay a fortune because our loonie was almost on par with the US dollar. Alberta started booming again after the great recession, jobs were everywhere, we were doing better economically than the U.S. at the time (relatively speaking) because they got hit hard from the 2009 recession. Now the economy is really bad here and the 2015 recession hit us much harder than the 2009 recession. So yeah I miss the economy and where Canada was at during that time. I also get nostalgic for Jack Layton winning official opposition in the 2011 election and Harper not screwing over the country yet. Those were good times politically.  8)

What the hell is a loonie? Is that your currency? ???

Written By: Slim95 on 10/31/17 at 2:51 pm

What the hell is a loonie? Is that your currency? ???

Yes, the loonie is one Canadian dollar. It gets compared to the US dollar in the markets. This is a loonie:

https://cdn3.volusion.com/aujxd.ayqsr/v/vspfiles/photos/623932080126-3.jpg?1496126966

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/17 at 2:53 pm

Yes, the loonie is one Canadian dollar. It gets compared to the US dollar in the markets. This is a loonie:

https://cdn3.volusion.com/aujxd.ayqsr/v/vspfiles/photos/623932080126-3.jpg?1496126966
The pound coin has been changed in to that shape, what is the diameter of the Canadian Dollar?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/31/17 at 2:57 pm

The pound coin has been changed in to that shape, what is the diameter of the Canadian Dollar?

26.5 mm according to Google.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/17 at 3:01 pm

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/nintchdbpict000159803819.jpg?w=960

26.5 mm according to Google.
Thanks, and according to Google, the new UK Pound coin is 22.5mm.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/31/17 at 3:15 pm

No it really didn't. That's what I liked about it. Nothing felt fake and forced and it wasn't trying to be anything it wasn't. It was real and authentic. Gritty darker culture is my favourite because it's raw and real and more down to earth. It wasn't perfect or the best era ever by any stretch, but I did enjoy it a lot. Also put "tried" as in past tense because we are in the late 2010s now and the mid 2010s are behind us.

Nope. The mid 2010s was fake and empty. It tried to seem meaningful but it failed and most people know it. Apparently, you just missed it. Sorry. Too bad, so sad.

I'm okay with all perspectives because all of this is really based on the individual but I'm just being a satire of you.

Written By: John Titor on 10/31/17 at 4:24 pm

It seems like it was a very polarizing era.  Most people either loved it or hated it.

Personally it was the best era of my life and I am not sure I'll ever experience another era that comes close.  I miss it so much it hurts sometimes.

Like I said it felt like the early 2000s but half assed.

2010 and 2011 had this dreamy like feel to it but it was half assed.
The reason for this is because the economy was dead while you had upbeat music, upbeat movies,upbeat culture.
It was not synchronizing correctly.

Written By: John Titor on 10/31/17 at 4:28 pm

Nope. The mid 2010s was fake and empty. It tried to seem meaningful but it failed and most people know it. Apparently, you just missed it. Sorry. Too bad, so sad.

I'm okay with all perspectives because all of this is really based on the individual but I'm just being a satire of you.

the mid 2010s was trying to be a version of the mid 2000s and mid 90s, and it failed, it was filled with dark shows like walking dead, horror movies,
just sheesh people got sick of. Social media getting worse with Sugar Babys and prostitution become a norm.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/31/17 at 4:29 pm

No they weren't empty or fake. They were authentic and real. The early 2010s were fake and empty.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/31/17 at 5:18 pm

No they weren't empty or fake. They were authentic and real. The early 2010s were fake and empty.

I know you are but what am I?

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/31/17 at 5:22 pm

the mid 2010s was trying to be a version of the mid 2000s and mid 90s, and it failed, it was filled with dark shows like walking dead, horror movies,
just sheesh people got sick of. Social media getting worse with Sugar Babys and prostitution become a norm.

I don't know what the mid-2010s were going for but I didn't care for them. As much as I hate Trump. this is the first year where I've felt like things were rearranging and I'm cool with that.  I don't know what's coming soon but I have hope. Currently, the right wing is in the seat to be criticised and a lot of the young right-wingers are seeing what it's like to be in the driver's seat and they are not liking it.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/31/17 at 6:42 pm

I don't know what the mid-2010s were going for but I didn't care for them. As much as I hate Trump. this is the first year where I've felt like things were rearranging and I'm cool with that.  I don't know what's coming soon but I have hope. Currently, the right wing is in the seat to be criticised and a lot of the young right-wingers are seeing what it's like to be in the driver's seat and they are not liking it.

I think we are the opposite in everything. I don't like where things are going now in the late 2010s and you do haha.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/01/17 at 12:29 am

You think music genres such as EDM and trap, as well as artists like Ariana Grande and Meghan Trainor are "authentic and real"?  ::) Wash your mouth out with soap! You need to listen to artists such as The Beatles, Queen and Nirvana. That's real and authentic music. The Mid 2010s were not a "real and authentic" time for pop culture. If anything, they are the epitome of over-commercialism and corporate greed, especially with all the reboots and sequels in movie franchises.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/01/17 at 1:54 am

You think music genres such as EDM and trap, as well as artists like Ariana Grande and Meghan Trainor are "authentic and real"?  ::) Wash your mouth out with soap! You need to listen to artists such as The Beatles, Queen and Nirvana. That's real and authentic music. The Mid 2010s were not a "real and authentic" time for pop culture. If anything, they are the epitome of over-commercialism and corporate greed, especially with all the reboots and sequels in movie franchises.

No they were an authentic and real time in culture... It absolutely was and not all about corporate greed (not anymore than the early 2010s anyway) It was real and gritty and not superficial. There's more to culture than just music... I never said I think those genres are real, I hate that kind of music. I don't listen to mainstream music anyway, mainstream music is not the only basis for culture.... The mid 2010s were real and authentic, you can see this in TV shows, movies, fashion, attitudes, underground music, and more. Just accept that it was a great era.

Written By: Zelek3 on 11/01/17 at 2:12 am

We can't reminisce on the mid 2010s now, because 2017 hardly feels different from 2015 (pop culturally).

Written By: John Titor on 11/01/17 at 3:40 pm

early 2010s was EMPTYYYYYYYY with a lil bit of y2k

Written By: 2001 on 11/01/17 at 4:59 pm

I wore my outlandish orange shirt, orange shoes and an orange wristband on the fateful day: May 2, 2011. Jack Layton was going to force the telcoms to lift the 60GB bandwidth cap on the Internet, and I could finally play Xbox LIVE with my friends without having to worry about bandwidth. I miss my political priorities as an 18 year old. ;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/01/17 at 6:23 pm

I think we are the opposite in everything. I don't like where things are going now in the late 2010s and you do haha.

Probably. Why exactly do you not like where things are heading?

Written By: Slim95 on 11/01/17 at 6:59 pm

Probably. Why exactly do you not like where things are heading?

Because I hate the mainstream music and the general attitudes in 2017.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/01/17 at 8:47 pm

Because I hate the mainstream music and the general attitudes in 2017.

I don't think I've ever truly liked mainstream music. It's always been something between insufferable to tolerable to kinda okay. The mainstream has become kinda tolerable ever since trap receded a bit.

What is it about the music that you don't like and what makes today's attitude different from the rest of the mid-2010s?

Written By: Slim95 on 11/01/17 at 9:46 pm

I don't think I've ever truly liked mainstream music. It's always been something between insufferable to tolerable to kinda okay. The mainstream has become kinda tolerable ever since trap receded a bit.

What is it about the music that you don't like and what makes today's attitude different from the rest of the mid-2010s?

The music I hate is the EDM out now with the screwy effects, the trap music (Trap did NOT recede even a bit, it's bigger this year than it was last year, trap is literally everywhere) and many songs that are boring on the radio. It's definitely not tolerable. 2017 sucks. And I absolutely despise where culture is headed and it is getting much worse... 2015 was the last year I enjoyed pop culture because the mid 2010s pop culture was good and I already explained why I enjoyed it. 2017 is almost as bad as the early 2010s culturally, that's how bad it is.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/01/17 at 10:19 pm

The music I hate is the EDM out now with the screwy effects, the trap music (Trap did NOT recede even a bit, it's bigger this year than it was last year, trap is literally everywhere) and many songs that are boring on the radio. It's definitely not tolerable. 2017 sucks. And I absolutely despise where culture is headed and it is getting much worse... 2015 was the last year I enjoyed pop culture because the mid 2010s pop culture was good and I already explained why I enjoyed it. 2017 is almost as bad as the early 2010s culturally, that's how bad it is.

I check the billboard twice a month. Trap is still big but pop is starting to make up to some of the ground it lost to trap.

I honestly don't see how 2017 compares to the early 2010s . I really want to understand but I need something besides "it sucks. I'm right you're wrong."

Written By: Slim95 on 11/01/17 at 10:45 pm

I check the billboard twice a month. Trap is still big but pop is starting to make up to some of the ground it lost to trap.

I honestly don't see how 2017 compares to the early 2010s . I really want to understand but I need something besides "it sucks. I'm right you're wrong."

Because something sucking is opinion obviously... I can't make you understand, I simply don't like where things are heading and that's that. You have to accept my opinion that I hate early 2010s culture, and I dislike today's culture and where things are heading, and I enjoyed the mid 2010s. I accept yours so you have to accept mine, simple as that.

No trap is still huge... It's almost every second song on the top 20. Also pop sucks too... Even if trap were declining, the pop of today is not any better. so that's no indication of improvement... So music still sucks a lot now. In fact 2017 is the third worst year this decade in terms of mainstream music after 2011 and 2012.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/01/17 at 10:53 pm

I liked the early 2010s and I like 2017.  I can't figure out what exactly it is that is similar about them but I think 2017 has been the best year pop culturally since 2011 and for the first time in a while, I can say I like where things are headed (with the exception of the politics)

I guess my perception will always be the opposite of Slim95.  I really didn't like the mid '10s.  Although my personal life was in the toilet through most of the era, there was more to it than that.  The best way to sum up the mid '10s is that culture weren't sure where it wanted to go, so it simply settled on the "safest" option which is why it was dominated by the likes of Ariana Grande and songs like #Selfie.  I think what is different about 2017 is although a lot of what has been popular this year isn't far off from the mid '10s, there seems to be a lot more fresh stuff being tried and a lot of older artists trying to go in new directions, like Taylor Swift, Kesha, P!nk, Kendrick Lamar, and even Chris Brown.  One thing that hurt the mid '10s in my opinion is that in 2013 things settled into a status quo and pretty much just stayed there.  Only now, in 2017, are there signs of that breaking.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/01/17 at 11:26 pm

I liked the early 2010s and I like 2017.  I can't figure out what exactly it is that is similar about them but I think 2017 has been the best year pop culturally since 2011 and for the first time in a while, I can say I like where things are headed (with the exception of the politics)

I guess my perception will always be the opposite of Slim95.  I really didn't like the mid '10s.  Although my personal life was in the toilet through most of the era, there was more to it than that.  The best way to sum up the mid '10s is that culture weren't sure where it wanted to go, so it simply settled on the "safest" option which is why it was dominated by the likes of Ariana Grande and songs like #Selfie.  I think what is different about 2017 is although a lot of what has been popular this year isn't far off from the mid '10s, there seems to be a lot more fresh stuff being tried and a lot of older artists trying to go in new directions, like Taylor Swift, Kesha, P!nk, Kendrick Lamar, and even Chris Brown.  One thing that hurt the mid '10s in my opinion is that in 2013 things settled into a status quo and pretty much just stayed there.  Only now, in 2017, are there signs of that breaking.

Exactly!  ;D That's the exact reason I dislike 2016 and 2017 because they have some resemblance to the early 2010s. We're exact opposites haha.

For me music in 2017 was absolute garbage. There's not a single song in the top 20 right now I can tolerate. Although one thing that prevented 2017 from being the worst year in music this decade was early 2017. Early 2017 up until around May or June was not very bad and I liked a couple songs that were high in the charts at that time like Something Just Like This, Shape of You, Paris, I Feel It Coming and some others. But now it's just so bad and not tolerable to me. Wayy too much pop, EDM, and trap music. It's all just noise to me. Taylor Swift's new songs are total trash and I honestly didn't mind her stuff from 2014/2015 but her songs make my ears bleed now. The trap music is awful this year. It just doesn't seem like music is going into any positive direction or any meaningful change. Hopefully 2018 will be an improvement for both underground and mainstream music. I think it will because both Hopsin and Eminem are expected to release their albums in November of this year.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/01/17 at 11:37 pm

Exactly!  ;D That's the exact reason I dislike 2016 and 2017 because they have some resemblance to the early 2010s. We're exact opposites haha.

I only like fresh if it is good. And for me music in 2017 was absolute garbage. There's not a single song in the top 20 right now I can tolerate. Although one thing that prevented 2017 from being the worst year in music this decade was early 2017. Early 2017 up until around May or June was not very bad and I liked a couple songs that were high in the charts at that time. But now it's just so bad and not tolerable to me. Wayy too much pop, EDM, and trap music. It's all just noise to me. The trap music is awful this year. It just doesn't seem like music is going into any positive direction or any meaningful  change. Hopefully 2018 will be an improvement.

April was about the time I started liking it.  I think 2017 is going to end up being to the '10s what 1997 was to the '90s.  2017 has opened up a lot of possibilities for where things could go.  I think 2018 is going to be the year where we will really see the new culture become more established.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/01/17 at 11:40 pm

April was about the time I started liking it.  I think 2017 is going to end up being to the '10s what 1997 was to the '90s.  2017 has opened up a lot of possibilities for where things could go.  I think 2018 is going to be the year where we will really see the new culture become more established.

Well I certainly hope the songs that are popular now don't become the new thing for the coming years. I think 2018 will have some changes in terms of music and some brand new styles of music will appear in late 2018 and 2019 which may set the stage up for the 2020s. There's nothing new and unique in music this year. Latin pop is not a new, fresh genre it just a fad that has been popular before. Same as rock, EDM, and all the other mainstream genres this year. Nothing new. There needs to be a brand new sound in music, not something that mimics previous eras.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/02/17 at 12:49 am

To be honest, music wise, 2017 has disappointed me, but I had very unrealistic expectations to begin with. Realistically though, I would have to agree with bchris02, 2017 has been the best year for mainstream music since the Early 2010s. I like that music is slowly starting to diversify again, as well as the greater presence of rock in the mainstream. Hope it continues.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/02/17 at 12:51 am

Why do so many people like 2017's music? It really sucks.  8-P

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/02/17 at 12:52 am

Why do so many people like 2017's music? It really sucks.  8-P

I don't. I'm just suggesting, in my opinion, that 2017 has been the best year for mainstream music since the Early 2010s.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/02/17 at 4:24 pm

Because something sucking is opinion obviously... I can't make you understand, I simply don't like where things are heading and that's that. You have to accept my opinion that I hate early 2010s culture, and I dislike today's culture and where things are heading, and I enjoyed the mid 2010s. I accept yours so you have to accept mine, simple as that.

No trap is still huge... It's almost every second song on the top 20. Also pop sucks too... Even if trap were declining, the pop of today is not any better. so that's no indication of improvement... So music still sucks a lot now. In fact 2017 is the third worst year this decade in terms of mainstream music after 2011 and 2012.

I wasn't demanding you justify yourself. I wanted to know because I'm genuinely curious. I'm not sure why I approve of this year more than the last couple of years and I was hoping you could provide insight.

If music isn't all that different from the last few years...then why do you hate it so much?

Written By: Slim95 on 11/02/17 at 5:48 pm

I wasn't demanding you justify yourself. I wanted to know because I'm genuinely curious. I'm not sure why I approve of this year more than the last couple of years and I was hoping you could provide insight.

If music isn't all that different from the last few years...then why do you hate it so much?

Not super different, but slightly different. The difference is big enough for me to hate it. Music isn't as catchy anymore and trap actually got worse than it was in the mid 2010s.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/02/17 at 7:02 pm

Not super different, but slightly different. The difference is big enough for me to hate it. Music isn't as catchy anymore and trap actually got worse than it was in the mid 2010s.

I'm not sure "catchy" is how I would describe the mid 2010s, especially when compared to the early '10s when you had electropop-era Lady Gaga and Ke$ha.

It definitely seems like people who liked the early '10s but disliked the mid '10s are warmer on 2017.  I would say at this point in my opinion, 2017 is the third best year for music this decade and the best year since 2011.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/02/17 at 7:59 pm

I'm not sure "catchy" is how I would describe the mid 2010s, especially when compared to the early '10s when you had electropop-era Lady Gaga and Ke$ha.

It definitely seems like people who liked the early '10s but disliked the mid '10s are warmer on 2017.  I would say at this point in my opinion, 2017 is the third best year for music this decade and the best year since 2011.

Lady Gaga and Kesha were NOT catchy... They sucked. Mid 2010s pop music was catchy. Way better than both early and late '10s. Music was very good in thr mid '10s.

Well I hate 2017 and the early 2010s. I don't like 2016 either. 2013 (I know it's technically a early 2010s year) 2014 and 2015 are all years I love.

Written By: Rainbowz on 11/02/17 at 8:16 pm

I liked the early 2010s and I like 2017.  I can't figure out what exactly it is that is similar about them but I think 2017 has been the best year pop culturally since 2011

I couldn't agree more with this. I think 2017 has been a really good year for music. Better than last year.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/02/17 at 8:17 pm

Lady Gaga and Kesha were NOT catchy... They sucked. Mid 2010s pop music was catchy. Way better than both early and late '10s. Music was very good in thr mid '10s.

Well I hate 2017 and the early 2010s. I don't like 2016 either. 2013 (I know it's technically a early 2010s year) 2014 and 2015 are all years I love.

I really liked Gaga especially in her very early days 2008/2009. "The Fame" and "The Fame Monster" are good albums. Around "Born This Way" she got too weird for me though. Kesha ummm, well she's purely a guilty pleasure singer. Objectively she sucks though and has little if any "talent". Gaga has a pretty good voice at least. Actually I think "Timber" is probably the best Kesha song and that was like one of her later ones late 2013 I think. I'll admit I actually loved "Timber" and still do.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/02/17 at 9:39 pm

I really liked Gaga especially in her very early days 2008/2009. "The Fame" and "The Fame Monster" are good albums. Around "Born This Way" she got too weird for me though. Kesha ummm, well she's purely a guilty pleasure singer. Objectively she sucks though and has little if any "talent". Gaga has a pretty good voice at least. Actually I think "Timber" is probably the best Kesha song and that was like one of her later ones late 2013 I think. I'll admit I actually loved "Timber" and still do.

I like weird music. Gaga didn't get weird in my opinion but she did get less fun. I never really liked Kesha but Tic Tok was a fun song.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/02/17 at 9:41 pm

Give us a list of good catchy mid 2010s songs. The late 10s aren't even done yet btw.

I just wish I knew what exactly makes this year so different to you.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/02/17 at 11:15 pm

Give us a list of good catchy mid 2010s songs. The late 10s aren't even done yet btw.

I just wish I knew what exactly makes this year so different to you.

From mid 2010s and 2013:
Uptown Funk (greatest mainstream song of this decade)
Thrift Shop
Happy
Shut up and Dance
Treasure
Blurred Lines
Rather Be

And many more underground songs. Hell even trap wasn't as bad back then. I remember hating Fetty Wap and Trap Queen but his music is considered good compared to the garbage trap this year.

These are only a few, many more. 2017 totally sucks in comparison and I don't like where things are headed in the late 2010s.

Written By: John Titor on 11/03/17 at 9:25 am

I get you 100% and I feel the same way, 2017 has the closest feel to 2011 or 2010. I think it is because the mids 2010s felt so dark and bland. 2015 comes to mind when I think of the blandness of the mid 2010s.  I have stated before in another thread but

The addition of:

MTV TRL
Fuller House back
Music getting a little better
Social media obsession dying a little bit
Pop Culture in gen this year seems more BRIGHTER (like more 2010 ish)

it just feels I don't know like Pop culture is back

Written By: Slim95 on 11/03/17 at 10:36 am

I get you 100% and I feel the same way, 2017 has the closest feel to 2011 or 2010. I think it is because the mids 2010s felt so dark and bland. 2015 comes to mind when I think of the blandness of the mid 2010s.  I have stated before in another thread but

The addition of:

MTV TRL
Fuller House back
Music getting a little better
Social media obsession dying a little bit
Pop Culture in gen this year seems more BRIGHTER (like more 2010 ish)

it just feels I don't know like Pop culture is back

I loved the dark feeling of 2015. I hate the bright stuff of the early 2010s. I don't think the mid '10s were bland though. It had an identity it was just pretty gritty which I liked.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/03/17 at 1:59 pm

Now I'm wondering if you are just trolling.  You may not like Lady Gaga and similar electropop artists but her songs were very catchy for a lot of people.  I am thinking of stuff like Poker Face, Telephone, and Bad Romance.  Those were the kind of songs people would get stuck in their head and they would hum all day.  YOU may not have liked Lady Gaga but there was a reason she was the biggest pop star on the planet from 2009-11.

From mid 2010s and 2013:
Thrift Shop
Happy
Shut up and Dance
Treasure
Blurred Lines
Rather Be

See I dislike every one of these songs except for Blurred Lines.  I am not going to say they suck though because my tastes are my tastes, NOT fact.  I think you really like the disco/funk revival and with that being the case, I can see why you prefer the mid '10s.

Written By: 2001 on 11/03/17 at 2:24 pm

From mid 2010s and 2013:
Thrift Shop
Happy
Shut up and Dance
Treasure
Blurred Lines
Rather Be

And many more underground songs. Hell even trap wasn't as bad back then. I remember hating Fetty Wap and Trap Queen but his music is considered good compared to the garbage trap this year.

These are only a few, many more. 2017 totally sucks in comparison and I don't like where things are headed in the late 2010s.

I love those songs too :D

I like 2017 songs too, like Attention, Despacito, Wild Thoughts, I'm The One, Passionfruit, Humble, Feels, Sign of the Times, There's Nothing Holding Me Back, New Rules and a lot of others.

I think it was early 2017 that was a bit weak. I remember feeling like every other song sounded like it could've been written by the Chainsmokers *yawn*. I'm not really a fan of songs like Swish Swish, Shape of You, The Cure, It Ain't Me etc. They're not bad but they were so predictable and unoriginal. Around summer 2017 is when things started going back to normal and we got artists trying new things.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/03/17 at 2:32 pm

Now I'm wondering if you are just trolling.  You may not like Lady Gaga and similar electropop artists but her songs were very catchy for a lot of people.  I am thinking of stuff like Poker Face, Telephone, and Bad Romance.  Those were the kind of songs people would get stuck in their head and they would hum all day.  YOU may not have liked Lady Gaga but there was a reason she was the biggest pop star on the planet from 2009-11.

See I dislike every one of these songs except for Blurred Lines.  I am not going to say they suck though because my tastes are my tastes, NOT fact.  I think you really like the disco/funk revival and with that being the case, I can see why you prefer the mid '10s.

No I am not trolling. Why would you think that? Lady Gaga's music sucks and I will never like it and I don't find it catchy at all.

Yes I loved the disco/funk revival. Most of the songs I liked from the mid '10s were thid style. And one of the only mainstream songs I liked this year was Feels which is also has another throwback vibe. I do enjoy this style very much.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/03/17 at 2:35 pm

I like 2017 songs too, like Attention, Despacito, Wild Thoughts, I'm The One, Passionfruit, Humble, Feels, Sign of the Times, There's Nothing Holding Me Back, New Rules and a lot of others.

I think it was early 2017 that was a bit weak. I remember feeling like every other song sounded like it could've been written by the Chainsmokers *yawn*. I'm not really a fan of songs like Swish Swish, Shape of You, The Cure, It Ain't Me etc. Around summer 2017 is when things started going back to normal and we got artists trying new things.

I liked early 2017. The Chainsmokers put out good songs during that time. Things went totally downhill musically once summer came for me. It did not feel like artists were trying new things. It was the same sound as other eras. Latin pop has been tried and done before. So has trap.

Written By: 2001 on 11/03/17 at 2:37 pm

I liked early 2017. The Chainsmokers put out good songs during that time. Things went totally downhill musically once summer came for me. It did not feel like artists were trying new things. It was the same sound as other eras. Latin pop has been tried and done before. So has trap.

Chainsmokers by themselves are good, but when everyone sounded like them, that wasn't a good thing IMO. ;D

Written By: bchris02 on 11/03/17 at 2:46 pm

No I am not trolling. Why would you think that? Lady Gaga's music sucks and I will never like it and I don't find it catchy at all.

Yes I loved the disco/funk revival. Most of the songs I liked from the mid '10s were thid style. And one of the only mainstream songs I liked this year was Feels which is also has another throwback vibe. I do enjoy this style very much.

That's your opinion.  It's NOT fact.  Your personal tastes are not universal and other people do and are allowed to have different tastes than you.  I think Uptown Funk is one of the worst and most annoying songs of this decade.  You love it.  That's okay.

I think it was early 2017 that was a bit weak. I remember feeling like every other song sounded like it could've been written by the Chainsmokers *yawn*. I'm not really a fan of songs like Swish Swish, Shape of You, The Cure, It Ain't Me etc. They're not bad but they were so predictable and unoriginal. Around summer 2017 is when things started going back to normal and we got artists trying new things.

I completely agree with this.  At the beginning of this year, about the only bright spot in my opinion was dancehall and some Chainsmokers stuff.  There was still way too much bland nu-teen pop and disco revival.  The second half of this year is what has made it a great year for music.  There is a lot of variety and experimentation out there right now and there are a lot of directions things could go from here.  The first half of the year was pretty much a continuation of 2016.  At that point, I was seriously wondering if I might be aging out of being able to enjoy pop music (most people do at some point).

I think 2017 will be looked back on as a transformational year much like 1997 was in the '90s. 

Written By: Slim95 on 11/03/17 at 2:49 pm

That's your opinion.  It's NOT fact.  Your personal tastes are not universal and other people do and are allowed to have different tastes than you.  I think Uptown Funk is one of the worst and most annoying songs of this decade.  You love it.  That's okay.

When did I say it was fact? I never said it was fact Lady Gaga sucks, obviously it is opinion I don't think that needs to be said... Hell I'm the one telling everyone else that. It's all about what you like.

Why do you think Uptown Funk was the worst song ever?  ??? It was the best mainstream song of this decade by far and it always gets played at parties and clubs to this day still.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/03/17 at 2:52 pm

I completely agree with this.  At the beginning of this year, about the only bright spot in my opinion was dancehall and some Chainsmokers stuff.  There was still way too much bland nu-teen pop and disco revival.  The second half of this year is what has made it a great year for music.  There is a lot of variety and experimentation out there right now and there are a lot of directions things could go from here.  The first half of the year was pretty much a continuation of 2016.  At that point, I was seriously wondering if I might be aging out of being able to enjoy pop music (most people do at some point).

I think 2017 will be looked back on as a transformational year much like 1997 was in the '90s.

I don't think 2017 was transformative at all. This was a horrible year culturally. Maybe 2018 will be transformative and better. 2017 is the same as 2016, a bit different from 2015 though.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/03/17 at 3:00 pm

Why do you think Uptown Funk was the worst song ever?  ??? It was the best mainstream song of this decade by far and it always gets played at parties and clubs to this day still.

I never liked late '70s disco and funk music either.  It's just not my style.  I even prefer songs like #Selfie over songs like Uptown Funk.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/03/17 at 4:03 pm

I don't think 2017 was transformative at all. This was a horrible year culturally. Maybe 2018 will be transformative and better. 2017 is the same as 2016, a bit different from 2015 though.

I don't agree. You may not like 2017 but this has been the year where the culture that has dominated since 2013 has begun to show cracks. 2018, most likely, will be the year where we see where things are going to go as we head in 2020. There are a lot of possibilities right now, some great and others awful. The '90s didn't end in 1997 but it was the year we started getting a glimpse of what was ahead. I think 2017 is similar in that respect.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/03/17 at 4:15 pm

I don't agree. You may not like 2017 but this has been the year where the culture that has dominated since 2013 has begun to show cracks. 2018, most likely, will be the year where we see where things are going to go as we head in 2020. There are a lot of possibilities right now, some great and others awful. The '90s didn't end in 1997 but it was the year we started getting a glimpse of what was ahead. I think 2017 is similar in that respect.

2017 wasn't transitional though.. 2016 maybe but 2017 was just an extension of 2016. No significance at all this year really. I think 2018 will truly be the transitional year, or late 2018 specifically.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/03/17 at 4:19 pm

I never liked late '70s disco and funk music either.  It's just not my style.  I even prefer songs like #Selfie over songs like Uptown Funk.

You and I are finally diverging across seas.  ;D

Who could resist this?

5X-Mrc2l1d0

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/03/17 at 4:35 pm

You and I are finally diverging across seas.  ;D

Who could resist this?

5X-Mrc2l1d0

Yeah, I was agreeing with him for the most part until he said that :P.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/03/17 at 4:53 pm

I love Uptown Funk and those styles of songs. It's really refreshing and catchy to me.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/03/17 at 7:10 pm

To those of you who did feel a transition this year (I didn't) where do you see culture going then? What kind of culture is the next era going to be? I honestly can't think of anything right now. Things certainly aren't upbeat now considering Trump is president and there is a terror attack every other week... I am genuinely curious to hear what you are talking about bchris when you said we transitioned to a new culture this year... What is the culture now then?

Written By: John Titor on 11/03/17 at 8:00 pm

To those of you who did feel a transition this year (I didn't) where do you see culture going then? What kind of culture is the next era going to be? I honestly can't think of anything right now. Things certainly aren't upbeat now considering Trump is president and there is a terror attack every other week... I am genuinely curious to hear what you are talking about bchris when you said we transitioned to a new culture this year... What is the culture now then?

The new culture right now we are in

-  MTV TRL
-Fuller House
- Prostitution/escorting/ sugar babying becoming normalized 
- Weekly Terrorist attacks
-Electric cars becoming more common
-4K TV really taking off
- Fatigue of Horror tv shows like Walking dead etc
-Dating apps peaking  (they are actually losing less members)
- Rise of STDs
- Streaming services like Sling TV and DiretvNOW taking over Comcast and coax cable services
-decline of Tablets
- Rise of devices like ROKU, amazon fire and apple tv
- Rise of Cardi B (won't last long)
-Horror movies become more campy like IT and Stranger things tv show.
- The chopped and screwed effect in pop music
- Hollywood pretty much imploding
-SJW backlash

Written By: Slim95 on 11/03/17 at 8:35 pm

The new culture right now we are in

-  MTV TRL
-Fuller House
- Prostitution/escorting/ sugar babying becoming normalized 
- Weekly Terrorist attacks
-Electric cars becoming more common
-4K TV really taking off
- Fatigue of Horror tv shows like Walking dead etc
-Dating apps peaking  (they are actually losing less members)
- Rise of STDs
- Streaming services like Sling TV and DiretvNOW taking over Comcast and coax cable services
-decline of Tablets
- Rise of devices like ROKU, amazon fire and apple tv
- Rise of Cardi B (won't last long)
-Horror movies become more campy like IT and Stranger things tv show.
- The chopped and screwed effect in pop music
- Hollywood pretty much imploding
-SJW backlash

Firstly, that's not what I meant by what the new culture. Secondly, most of these stuff started in 2016 which I agree was a little transitional. What I mean by new culture is what is the new popular thing and atmosphere you notice? No more hipsters? Who is replacing hipsters now? What style of music will dominate next year? We are still clearly in the core 2010s, the era of hipsters, electronic pop, Indie, Smart technologies, and other stuff. And we are also clearly in the era of the late 2010s and have been since last year, the era of Trump and all those things you've listed. I was asking about what this new fresh culture is, but you just listed significant events of this year which happens every year. I just don't see any signs of a new culture at the moment. Maybe in 2018 or 2019 new popular trends will come.

Written By: John Titor on 11/03/17 at 9:03 pm

Firstly, that's not what I meant by what the new culture. Secondly, most of these stuff started in 2016 which I agree was a little transitional. What I mean by new culture is what is the new popular thing and atmosphere you notice? No more hipsters? Who is replacing hipsters now? What style of music will dominate next year? We are still clearly in the core 2010s, the era of hipsters, electronic pop, Indie, Smart technologies, and other stuff. And we are also clearly in the era of the late 2010s and have been since last year, the era of Trump and all those things you've listed. I was asking about what this new fresh culture is, but you just listed significant events of this year which happens every year. I just don't see any signs of a new culture at the moment. Maybe in 2018 or 2019 new popular trends will come.

Pop punk is underground right now and its about to become big again, the culture is brewing and there are EMO night festivals almost every 3 weeks on the West Coast.

If you are not living in LA, New York or any top 5 area, it's hard to see these changes as these areas tend to get the new atmosphere first.

Written By: 2001 on 11/03/17 at 9:12 pm

To me the transition started as early as summer 2015 and ended summer 2017, so I can agree that 2016 was the big transition year in between. There were a few major changes that happened in 2017, namely Trump actually becoming president and wreaking havoc, Switch being released, Latin pop-infusion, and now you have those stories about Kevin Spacey coming out and House of Cards, one of the biggest 2010s shows, is getting cancelled.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 11/03/17 at 9:16 pm

To me the transition started as early as summer 2015 and ended summer 2017, so I can agree that 2016 was the big transition year in between. There were a few major changes that happened in 2017, namely Trump actually becoming president and wreaking havoc, Switch being released, Latin pop-infusion, and now you have those stories about Kevin Spacey coming out and House of Cards, one of the biggest 2010s shows, is getting cancelled.

What sort of things made you think the transition started in mid 2015?

Written By: 2001 on 11/03/17 at 9:45 pm

What sort of things made you think the transition started in mid 2015?

Charlie Hebdo, oil price crash being permanent, refugee crisis and Trump.

I actually made a post here in early 2016 that we might already be in a transition, because I never felt 2015/6 was all the similar to 2013 and 2014, but back then I hoped it was "all a blip" and it would tide over soon. But nope, it seems like these things are the new normal.  :-\\

I'll try to see if I can find the post.

Written By: 2001 on 11/03/17 at 9:53 pm

Charlie Hebdo, oil price crash being permanent, refugee crisis and Trump.

I actually made a post here in early 2016 that we might already be in a transition, because I never felt 2015/6 was all the similar to 2013 and 2014, but back then I hoped it was "all a blip" and it would tide over soon. But nope, it seems like these things are the new normal.  :-\\

I'll try to see if I can find the post.

Oh score! I actually made the post in late 2015. ;D

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=50714.msg3324822#msg3324822

I see some roots of the late 2010s taking place with the extreme rise in xenophobia this year, especially with the Syrian refugee crisis. It might be a late 2010s thing but it might be too early to say, it might be just a blip.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/03/17 at 10:49 pm

As for Trump, ever since I realized campaign Trump wasn't an act but...actual Trump...and nothing was going to change him, I knew his downfall was around the corner. After the Republicans failed to repeal Obamacare after gaining so much power, the writing was on the walls. Single payer may not happen within the next 3 years but I know it's inevitable in my lifetime. This is not 2000. Or 2002. Or 2004. I understand that the left is in a screwed up place right now but good god... they're not going out and trying to defend the Confederacy. Democrats will come back and they will come back with a lot of clout. The left needs to do a lot of spring cleaning with the corporate Democrats. That's where my skepticism lies with. Not the inevitable defeat of Trump and the current Republicans in power.

The thing is...there has always been such ugliness in the world and any kind of upbeatness was the result of ignoring all the ugly.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/03/17 at 11:00 pm

I personally believe things started changing in 2016 and are continuing to change this year.

I don't know where culture is going, but with music, one thing I've noticed is Hip Hop as a whole is continuing to surge in popularity. Pretty sure there's around 40 Hip Hop songs predicted to make the Billboard 2017 Year End 100 List. I think it was closer to 30 last year.

I've also heard people say Alternative R&B, which is currently semi underground music, but rising very fast, is going to break into the mainstream within the next few years. There's a few mainstream artists considered Alt R&B by many, including Frank Ocean, but he's not a fan of being called one himself and the others don't necessarily fit in it either.

The Weeknd and just maybe SZA are really the only examples of ones who've broke into the mainstream, but after The Weeknd broke through with Wicked Games, he kind of went mainstream R&B/Pop with his 2015 album Beauty Behind the Madness, it did help him get become the superstar he is though.

With SZA, who blew up this year, she has Alternative R&B influences, but I personally wouldn't call her an Alternative R&B artist, since she has so many from other genres as well. I've discussed this topic a small bit on the 2017 music thread, and I'd discuss more if anyone wants to.

Here's a link to Pulse Music Board's predictions and calculations for the Billboard Year End List btw. http://pulsemusic.proboards.com/thread/136215/hot-100-year-predictions-2017?page=223

But the the thing is all of those things you have listed were already popular in 2016 (even 2015 with the Weeknd). None of these are new. Even if they were, it's not a fresh culture bringing back R&B, and already known genre for a long time. I do agree with you 2016 saw a slight transition, but I just don't see that transition going into brand new culture because it still feels core 2010s right now.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/03/17 at 11:01 pm

Pop punk is underground right now and its about to become big again, the culture is brewing and there are EMO night festivals almost every 3 weeks on the West Coast.

If you are not living in LA, New York or any top 5 area, it's hard to see these changes as these areas tend to get the new atmosphere first.

Maybe. I personally don't see it but we shall wait and see if pop punk comes back to the mainstream.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/03/17 at 11:05 pm

All of these aren't significant enough to leave core 2010s culture and a brand new era from this decade. We left the mid 2010s but core 2010s and stuff that was popular last year still are here. Only a few latin songs came out and I do not see that at all as some musical transformation because latin pop was popular before too. I want a brand new genre of music to be mainstream. 2017 just doesn't feel transitional at all. I think 2017 will be similar to how 2012 was. 2012 was not transitional at all but 2013 was, so the same case will happen now and 2018 will be the transitional year. I do agree with you that even from 2015 to 2016 there was a transition to where we are now in the late 2010s and I think that transition ended when Trump got elected as president. A lot of people here think we are going through a transition but I think it ended and we are 100% solidly in the late 2010s now (still in the core 2010s though). I think a new transition into early 2020s culture will start next year and by the end of 2018, we will be out of the core 2010s and late 2010s culture.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 11/03/17 at 11:06 pm

Late 2000s felt empty, Early 2010s didn't

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 11/03/17 at 11:41 pm

But the the thing is all of those things you have listed were already popular in 2016 (even 2015 with the Weeknd). None of these are new. Even if they were, it's not a fresh culture bringing back R&B, and already known genre for a long time. I do agree with you 2016 saw a slight transition, but I just don't see that transition going into brand new culture because it still feels core 2010s right now.

I may have worded things strangely, it seems like you misinterpreted some of what I was saying. The genre originated in the mid 2000's apparently, but I can't find a single song before 2014 that would be classified as it, so it's pretty fresh, just not well known, and it's different from normal mainstream R&B. The Weeknd stopped making Alt R&B once he got mainstream, so he isn't who I'm talking about when it comes to making this genre big. Artists like Kelela, James Blake, Daniel Caesar, Alina Baraz, Sinead Harnett, and Majid Jordan are some of the rising Alternative R&B artists I'm referring to, the genre usually mixes R&B with Electronic and Indie Rock styles, but also some other genres. :)

Here's two examples of what I'm talking about.
FG2PgVl0Nlc

ePi5BLJogyA

Written By: Slim95 on 11/04/17 at 1:49 am

I may have worded things strangely, it seems like you misinterpreted some of what I was saying. The genre originated in the mid 2000's apparently, but I can't find a single song before 2014 that would be classified as it, so it's pretty fresh, just not well known, and it's different from normal mainstream R&B. The Weeknd stopped making Alt R&B once he got mainstream, so he isn't who I'm talking about when it comes to making this genre big. Artists like Kelela, James Blake, Daniel Caesar, Alina Baraz, Sinead Harnett, and Majid Jordan are some of the rising Alternative R&B artists I'm referring to, the genre usually mixes R&B with Electronic and Indie Rock styles, but also some other genres. :)

Here's two examples of what I'm talking about.
FG2PgVl0Nlc

ePi5BLJogyA

Maybe but I still don't see it going in this direction in the mainstream yet or any other new genre at the moment.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 11/04/17 at 2:16 am

Maybe but I still don't see it going in this direction in the mainstream yet or any other new genre at the moment.

I agree, I don't see it going there either at the moment, but I've seen a lot of people predict this genre is to break through within the next few years, that's why I brought it up.

When I said it was semi underground, that's because it's not really known by the mainstream, but it's not necessarily unknown either. Kelela went from like 500,000 streamers per month on Spotify earlier this year to 1,200,000, and Daniel Caesar went from around 800,000 earlier this year to 3,250,000, so these artists are rising fast.

Written By: John Titor on 11/04/17 at 10:04 am

Maybe. I personally don't see it but we shall wait and see if pop punk comes back to the mainstream.

Slim what state do you live in, that would tell you if you are seeing anything new pop up in vibe

Written By: Slim95 on 11/04/17 at 12:53 pm

Slim what state do you live in, that would tell you if you are seeing anything new pop up in vibe

I don't live in the States I live in Canada. Maybe it's a a bit different up here.

Written By: Shemp97 on 11/08/17 at 7:35 pm

The more I think about it, the more I realize that 2016 probably was the big transitional year of the core 2010s. It seemed the long and drawn-out early '10s fatigue finally set in and with a new conservative US president, some new prime ministers, and Brexit, we are currently experiencing a battle of ideals with the far left wreaking.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/09/17 at 1:48 pm

The more I think about it, the more I realize that 2016 probably was the big transitional year of the core 2010s. It seemed the long and drawn-out early '10s fatigue finally set in and with a new conservative US president, some new prime ministers, and Brexit, we are currently experiencing a battle of ideals with the far left wreaking.

What we are experiencing is a backlash against the social progress of the Obama years.  A lot of people are having trouble coming to terms with things like gay marriage, trans visibility, and a society where fundamentalist Christianity is no longer the "conscience of the culture."  They are having trouble coming to terms with the fact that we had an African American President and a successful one at that.  They are seething that a black man fixed the mess that the previous white President, George Bush, created. People want to revert to a 1950s-type society where gays are in the closet, women are in the kitchen, minorities know their place, and everyone goes to church and are desperate and willing to go to great lengths to achieve it.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 11/09/17 at 1:51 pm

What we are experiencing is a backlash against the social progress of the Obama years.  A lot of people are having trouble coming to terms with things like gay marriage, trans visibility, and a society where fundamentalist Christianity is no longer the "conscience of the culture."  They are having trouble coming to terms with the fact that we had an African American President and a successful one at that.  They are seething that a black man fixed the mess that the previous white President, George Bush, created. People want to revert to a 1950s-type society where gays are in the closet, women are in the kitchen, minorities know their place, and everyone goes to church and are desperate and willing to go to great lengths to achieve it.

As far as I am concerned, most of the racist types tend to be neo-pagans (especially Odinists and Norse pagans), not Christians.

Written By: John Titor on 11/09/17 at 2:27 pm

I don't think its just that , I also think the whole backlash against feminism is because of the way men have been treated in the last few years.
The whole thing that Harvey and Spacey did is horrible, but now I am seeing things like

"Adam Sandler had his hand on someones knee at a talk show  (The woman said it was no concern btw) "
and people are trying to witch hunt for things.

I notice things like this (I talked about it in another thread)

https://i.imgur.com/AaZpIp1.jpg

As a woman I find it infuriating ,what my gender has resorted to in the last few years.
The media is using Female empowerment as a tag line to make money.

Check out this commercial

T7rW-1ZXS4M

Eating is something we all do, but they are trying to use female empowerment to get money for cereal.
if you check out the comments they are getting DRAGGED for it.

https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/GSTBcPM.png

Also the dating world is dead tbh, my ex boyfriend uses it and shows me many of the women on there have things like

Looking for man that makes 301K a year, has a huge house, Huge Car, is 6 foot 8.
Meanwhile the girl is working at Mcdonalds and is not that very good looking.

So this whole thing is causing a Gender war, I expect it to come to head next year,

If you noticed a lot of articles have the title now,  "where have all the good men gone"
A lot of men pretty much gave up with some of the things that were going on tinder etc.

Now on a matter ob Obama, yep the Republicans are loosing their sheesh over all the progress he did for gay marriage etc.
Trumps crew are mad but they can't do jack sheesh.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/09/17 at 4:13 pm

As far as I am concerned, most of the racist types tend to be neo-pagans (especially Odinists and Norse pagans), not Christians.

This, exactly right. Racism isn't a Christian trait, neither is any of the new right wing movement going on now. If anything Christianity is dying a fast rate from both the right wing and the left. Trump is actually looked at as an antichrist in Christian circles (Obama has been seen that way too though)

Written By: Zelek3 on 11/09/17 at 4:16 pm

This, exactly right. Racism isn't a Christian trait, neither is any of the new right wing movement going on now.

Well, some of them are, but I believe they're mostly LARPing.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/09/17 at 4:18 pm

Well, some of them are, but I believe they're mostly LARPing.

Those who are racist aren't Christians then because Christianity is against racism.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/09/17 at 9:39 pm

Honestly, which genres died out and became big again? If anyone can tell me two or even one...I'll start believing pop punk going mainstream again is a possibility.

Written By: TheKid99 on 11/09/17 at 10:11 pm

It seems like it has definitely been thriving underground. The scene was dead from 2008-2012 but 2013-present it has come back roaring to life.

Pop punk is awesome. And my favorite genre.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/09/17 at 10:57 pm

This, exactly right. Racism isn't a Christian trait, neither is any of the new right wing movement going on now. If anything Christianity is dying a fast rate from both the right wing and the left. Trump is actually looked at as an antichrist in Christian circles (Obama has been seen that way too though)

I can tell religion plays a very different role in Canadian politics than it does the US.

In the US, Christianity is basically the Southern Baptist convention which might as well be the Old Confederacy reborn.  Their primary objective is to restore this ideal "White Christian America" with a culture similar to the 1950s.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/09/17 at 11:26 pm

I can tell religion plays a very different role in Canadian politics than it does the US.

In the US, Christianity is basically the Southern Baptist convention which might as well be the Old Confederacy reborn.  Their primary objective is to restore this ideal "White Christian America" with a culture similar to the 1950s.

No it has nothing to do with countries. I took religious studies as an elective and Chrsitianity, as the rules in the religion, is not racist in its nature at all. The bible never promoted racism, it just has nothing to do with Christianity so the people who are racist shouldn't call themselves Christian, but they would be fake Christians like Westboro Baptist Church. Racism simply isn't Christian. The ongoing racism is coming from an evil source, not religion. However you are right that racists are way more prominent in the U.S. than in Canada.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/10/17 at 12:38 pm

I guess what I'm trying to say is that in the late 2000's and early 2010's pop culture was less saturated. whereas in the mid 2000's and the mid 2010's it was more heavy. I 'm finding so far that I prefer the late and early parts of each decade as opposed to the mid section because I personally find the end and start of a decade to have a more relaxed or less over saturated feel when it comes to the pop culture of things like fashion and atmosphere.

The pop culture of each period is alive and well in the earliest part of each period. Take the '90s for example. Super Mario Brothers 3 was released for the Nintendo Entertainment System. Roseanne was a top-rated show. Madonna was at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart with Vogue. As the '90s went on, the general public began moving away from that point in history (the first few months of the year 1990) and towards the start of the Y2K era (the first few months of the year 1999). So, the late '90s felt more like the first two years of the Y2K era and less like the year 1990.The middle part of each period is like the Reuleaux triangle of a Venn diagram. Culture from the earliest part of each period is on its way out in the middle part, while a new pop culture is born. Like you were saying, the mid section of a time period is more saturated than the other parts. The mid section also sides more with the latter part of a time period (especially towards the end) than it does with the earliest part.

Who knows maybe it's just me  :-\\

You are not alone. I prefer the early (1990-1992) and late '90s (1996-1998) to mid '90s (1993-1995). For some odd reason, most people today are convinced that the mid '90s were the best part of the '90s overall. I'll never understand how they choose The X-Files over Twin Peaks and hardcore rap over hip hop. The early '90s had something for everyone. You cannot really say the same for the mid '90s. The mid '90s were flat out bad for everything, in my opinion.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/10/17 at 1:08 pm

The pop culture of each period is alive and well in the earliest part of each period. Take the '90s for example. Super Mario Brothers 3 was released for the Nintendo Entertainment System. Roseanne was a top-rated show. Madonna was at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart with Vogue. As the '90s went on, the general public began moving away from that point in history (the first few months of the year 1990) and towards the start of the Y2K era (the first few months of the year 1999). So, the late '90s felt more like the first two years of the Y2K era and less like the year 1990.The middle part of each period is like the Reuleaux triangle of a Venn diagram. Culture from the earliest part of each period is on its way out in the middle part, while a new pop culture is born. Like you were saying, the mid section of a time period is more saturated than the other parts. The mid section also sides more with the latter part of a time period (especially towards the end) than it does with the earliest part.

You are not alone. I prefer the early (1990-1992) and late '90s (1996-1998) to mid '90s (1993-1995). For some odd reason, most people today are convinced that the mid '90s were the best part of the '90s overall. I'll never understand how they choose The X-Files over Twin Peaks and hardcore rap over hip hop. The early '90s had something for everyone. You cannot really say the same for the mid '90s. The mid '90s were flat out bad for everything, in my opinion.

I've found the early part of the decade most definitely defines the culture of the decade the most (as in the case of the 2000s and 2010s). Although it's not necessarily the best time in the decade (early '10s were the worst time of the decade for me)

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/10/17 at 2:24 pm

I've found the early part of the decade most definitely defines the culture of the decade the most (as in the case of the 2000s and 2010s). Although it's not necessarily the best time in the decade (early '10s were the worst time of the decade for me)

I agree with this to an extend now. The early 2000s doesn't exclusively represent the 2000s anymore. 04 is another great definitive of then.

Written By: 2001 on 11/10/17 at 4:23 pm

Religion is dead in Canada. In my class of 30ish people, when asked to raise your hand if you believe in God, only 5 or 6 people (including me  :-
No it has nothing to do with countries. I took religious studies as an elective and Chrsitianity, as the rules in the religion, is not racist in its nature at all. The bible never promoted racism, it just has nothing to do with Christianity so the people who are racist shouldn't call themselves Christian, but they would be fake Christians like Westboro Baptist Church. Racism simply isn't Christian. The ongoing racism is coming from an evil source, not religion. However you are right that racists are way more prominent in the U.S. than in Canada.

No, he's right. A plurality of Christians in Canada are Catholic, and even they're mostly atheistic "cultural Catholics" like in Québec and not real Catholics. Only less than 10% are evengelical. The US has a lot more ecenaglical people, I think it was 30%, and they have other crazy sects like Mormons and Baptists.

Christianity isn't just about what's in the Bible, it also strongly ties into personal identity. All religions are inherently divisive like that.  Even "peaceful" Buddhists are now gunning down Rohingya Muslims because they see them as foreign and not pure Buddhist Burmans like themselves. Christians are the same, they are prejudiced against non-Christians or people they perceive to be not as Christian as them.

Christianity was used as a tool to oppress and control black people. It was believed that slavery was justified because they were saving heathens by converting them into the true faith. The Bible also contains many passages that condone slavery. They were taught that a good slave obeys their master. That's before you get into how churches are still racially segregated today. Martin Luther King describes Sunday mass as the "most segregated hour in America", and it's still true to this day. They have white churches and black churches. Dylan Roof shot up a black church to instigate his race war, and they weren't talking about the colour of the building.

And while some skin heads might be neo-pagan, the truth is virtually all of the 46% of people who voted Trump were Christian, and Christianity was a huge reason they voted Trump. Trump received record turnout from evangelicals, and Catholics also flipped to Republican for the first time since '92. He is a huge Christian icon in American Christian culture. This was one of the first articles I read after the election and it had me seething: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2016/11/09/exit-polls-show-white-evangelicals-voted-overwhelmingly-for-donald-trump/

https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/F6VBHIFMBE6E5DWTODDQOK5QCY.jpg

Lastly, if I remember correctly, Chris's father is a pastor who advocates for the death penalty for gay people, and he lives in a stereotypical southern white rural area, or what they call "real America", so I 100% believe what he has to say on this issue.  :-X

*rant over* ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 11/10/17 at 6:57 pm

Religion is dead in Canada. In my class of 30ish people, when asked to raise your hand if you believe in God, only 5 or 6 people (including me  :-black church to instigate his race war, and they weren't talking about the colour of the building.

And while some skin heads might be neo-pagan, the truth is virtually all of the 46% of people who voted Trump were Christian, and Christianity was a huge reason they voted Trump. Trump received record turnout from evangelicals, and Catholics also flipped to Republican for the first time since '92. He is a huge Christian icon in American Christian culture. This was one of the first articles I read after the election and it had me seething: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2016/11/09/exit-polls-show-white-evangelicals-voted-overwhelmingly-for-donald-trump/

https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/F6VBHIFMBE6E5DWTODDQOK5QCY.jpg

Lastly, if I remember correctly, Chris's father is a pastor who advocates for the death penalty for gay people, and he lives in a stereotypical southern white rural area, or what they call "real America", so I 100% believe what he has to say on this issue.  :-X

*rant over* ;D

No the point of Christianity is what is in the bible and faith. It has nothing to do with identity and racism. Those are all pagan/human stereotypes and characteristics people made, but has nothing to do with Christianity itself. Same goes for any religion. I know many Christians and none of them are racist or bad people.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 11/28/17 at 1:11 pm

Glad someone gets this!  ;D I also prefer the early and late 90's to the mid part!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/28/17 at 1:35 pm

I think I've already made it known that I'm a big fan of the early '90s (1990-1993) 8).

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/28/17 at 1:46 pm

I think I've already made it known that I'm a big fan of the early '90s (1990-1992) 8).

Fixed that for you.

Written By: ofkx on 11/28/17 at 1:58 pm

Can we keep religion and Trump out of this topic? There's a section on the forums specifically made for those discussions, and this is not it.

I don't believe the early 2010s define the 10s at all. Vine and Snapchat didn't exist, Instagram was not that popular, Wizard's Of Waverly Place, Hannah Montana, iCarly, and Zack And Cody were all still on air, Obama was still in his first term for most of it, selfie culture was barely a thing, LMFAO were still relevant and popular, Bruno Mars was singing cheesy romantic songs, Youtube was still homemade videos and not an actual business, and Rage comics were still popular. None of the stuff that define the 10's were relevant back then. Although a lot of seeds were being planted. I'd say the mid-10s (2013-2016) will be remembered as the most ~iconic~ part of this decade.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/28/17 at 2:11 pm

Can we keep religion and Trump out of this topic? There's a section on the forums specifically made for those discussions, and this is not it.I don't believe the early 2010s define the 10s at all. Vine and Snapchat didn't exist, Instagram was not that popular, Wizard's Of Waverly Place, Hannah Montana, iCarly, and Zack And Cody were all still on air, Obama was still in his first term for most of it, selfie culture was barely a thing, LMFAO were still relevant and popular, Bruno Mars was singing cheesy romantic songs, Youtube was still homemade videos and not an actual business, and Rage comics were still popular. None of the stuff that define the 10's were relevant back then. Although a lot of seeds were being planted. I'd say the mid-10s (2013-2016) will be remembered as the most ~iconic~ part of this decade.

So, the 2010s are best defined by what came out of the 2010s? :o
Is that what you're telling us?

Written By: ofkx on 11/28/17 at 2:21 pm

So, the 2010s are best defined by what came out of the 2010s? :o
Is that what you're telling us?

I'm not sure I understood you correctly ???.
Vines are a huge part of this decade, but Vine only launched in 2013. Snapchat launched in 2011, but only really gained popularity around 2013.
Selfies were a thing in the early 2010s, but they weren't as popular as in the mid-2010s.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/28/17 at 2:47 pm

Vines are a huge part of this decade, but Vine only launched in 2013. Snapchat launched in 2011, but only really gained popularity around 2013.

I know. That happened in the 2010s. The 2010s are the novennium (“9-year ”) of Instagram and Twitter. Vines and Snapchat will define the 2020s. 

Selfies were a thing in the early 2010s, but they weren't as popular as in the mid-2010s.

The hashtag #selfie was used on Instagram for the first time in 2011 (first year of the 2010s), but we saw the rise of selfie culture in the mid 2010s. Both were events that occurred in the 2010s.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/28/17 at 2:51 pm

Can we keep religion and Trump out of this topic? There's a section on the forums specifically made for those discussions, and this is not it.I don't believe the early 2010s define the 10s at all. Vine and Snapchat didn't exist, Instagram was not that popular, Wizard's Of Waverly Place, Hannah Montana, iCarly, and Zack And Cody were all still on air, Obama was still in his first term for most of it, selfie culture was barely a thing, LMFAO were still relevant and popular, Bruno Mars was singing cheesy romantic songs, Youtube was still homemade videos and not an actual business, and Rage comics were still popular. None of the stuff that define the 10's were relevant back then. Although a lot of seeds were being planted. I'd say the mid-10s (2013-2016) will be remembered as the most ~iconic~ part of this decade.

Those were all 2010s things. Those stuff defines the 2010s way more than Snap Chat and Vines did. The early '10s are most definitely the most definitive part of this decade. Even when you google image "2010s decade" it shows you early '10s stuff.

Written By: ofkx on 11/28/17 at 3:02 pm

I know. That happened in the 2010s. The 2010s are the novennium (“9-year ”) of Instagram and Twitter. Vines and Snapchat will define the 2020s. 

The hashtag #selfie was used on Instagram for the first time in 2011 (first year of the 2010s), but we saw the rise of selfie culture in the mid 2010s. Both were events that occurred in the 2010s.

Vine shut down earlier this year. How would it define the 2020s? 2020s is still a couple of years away. Snapchat has been popular for a few years now. It's definitely a 2010s thing. I don't think anyone ever thought of it as a 2020s thing :o

Those were all 2010s things. Those stuff defines the 2010s way more than Snap Chat and Vines did. The early '10s are most definitely the most definitive part of this decade. Even when you google image "2010s decade" it shows you early '10s stuff.

Those were a lot more late 2000s than 2010s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/28/17 at 3:58 pm

Fixed that for you.

Well, the early '90s to me is 1990-1993 but...whatever :-X.

Written By: Rainbowz on 11/28/17 at 4:08 pm

Vine is ded

Written By: Zelek3 on 11/28/17 at 4:17 pm

Most of that stuff is definitely, absolutely, without a doubt 2010s in my books. Maybe because I was in high school then. That stuff holds a special/hated place in my heart.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/28/17 at 4:35 pm

2010 was the second worst year of my life   a fun time for pop culture. Everything was very colorful!

Written By: 2001 on 11/28/17 at 4:39 pm

2010 was the second worst year of my life   a fun time for pop culture. Everything was very colorful!

What was the worst year?

2010 was the best year of my life up to that point. Right now it's down to #3 or #4. This decade delivered.  :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 11/28/17 at 4:45 pm

What was the worst year?

2010 was the best year of my life up to that point. Right now it's down to #3 or #4. This decade delivered.  :-X

2009!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 11/28/17 at 5:18 pm

2009!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

So 2010 was an improvement ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 11/28/17 at 5:22 pm

So 2010 was an improvement ;D

Karma button. Must press.  :(  :(  :(

Tomorrow is my 29th birthday. Just a passive aggressive reminder.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/28/17 at 5:28 pm

Vine shut down earlier this year.

My mistake. I did not do my research on the company before I typed that.

How would it define the 2020s? 2020s is still a couple of years away.

That was a miscalculation on my part. I did not realize that Twitter shut down Vine earlier this year.

Snapchat has been popular for a few years now. It's definitely a 2010s thing.

Snapchat was launched in the 2010s. It does not define the 2010s, as a whole, like Instagram and Twitter do.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/28/17 at 5:29 pm

Well, the early '90s to me is 1990-1993 but...whatever :-X.

Early '90s culture (i.e. - Doogie Howser MD, A Different World, and The Wonder Years) was on its way out in 1993. '93 was the first year of the mid '90s.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/28/17 at 6:31 pm

Vine shut down earlier this year. How would it define the 2020s? 2020s is still a couple of years away. Snapchat has been popular for a few years now. It's definitely a 2010s thing. I don't think anyone ever thought of it as a 2020s thing :oThose were a lot more late 2000s than 2010s.

I personally believe 2010 - 2013 was the most definitive period of this decade. Not that mid '10s stuff should be ignored, those were also important but the early '10s defined this decade the most imo.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/28/17 at 7:50 pm

Early '90s culture (i.e. - Doogie Howser MD, A Different World, and The Wonder Years) was on its way out in 1993. '93 was the first year of the mid '90s.

1993 was a transitional year. Up until September 1993, it was still a mostly early '90s year.

Anyways, this is MY OWN personal thoughts not yours...so you don't have to agree or disagree with me.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/28/17 at 8:32 pm

Glad someone gets this!  ;D I also prefer the early and late 90's to the mid part!

The negative Nineties (1993-1995) were a terrible time for everything! I cringe when people call those years "the final years of the early '90s". 8-P

1993 was a transitional year.

Every year is a transitional year.

Up until September 1993, it was still a mostly early '90s year.

'93, from beginning to end, was the year of Gangsta-funk, Soulful R&B and Grunge music. The early '90s (HW Bush '90s) were the era of Glam metal, Pop, and Freestyle music. No part of '93 was early '90s. The general public moved on from the Bush '90s in late '92.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/28/17 at 10:55 pm

I wasn't alive in the first half of the '90s, so I wouldn't know when the transition was or what culture was like.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/28/17 at 11:04 pm

Every year is a transitional year.

'93, from beginning to end, was the year of Gangsta-funk, Soulful R&B and Grunge music. The early '90s (HW Bush '90s) were the era of Glam metal, Pop, and Freestyle music. No part of '93 was early '90s. The general public moved on from the Bush '90s in late '92.

Well, I disagree. I'll move on.

Check for new replies or respond here...