inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: John McCain has brain cancer

Written By: Brian06 on 07/20/17 at 11:16 am

I was really saddened by the news I saw this morning that Senator John McCain has been diagnosed with brain cancer. Apparently one of the worst forms too.  :( I truly am so saddened by this, McCain is a good decent man who has served this country with great honor. He's one of the few decent ones left in the Republican party. I wish him the best and pray that he could recover or at very least not suffer too much. :\'(

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/20/politics/john-mccain-cancer-battle/index.html

Subject: Re: John McCain has brain cancer

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/20/17 at 11:20 am

I don't wish him any harm, I wish him the best, but in case you're unaware, he was known for a dangerously hawkish foreign policy (more of what we DON'T need from our "leaders").
In some regards, he seemed a tad more sensible than far-right wing of the GOP but that's the same GOP that helped indirectly produce the Alt-Right.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/20/17 at 11:22 am

I don't wish him any harm, I wish him the best, but in case you're unaware, he was known for a dangerously hawkish foreign policy (more of what we DON'T need from our "leaders").
In some regards, he seemed a tad more sensible than far-right wing of the GOP but that's the same GOP that helped indirectly produce the Alt-Right.

Yeah I don't really agree with his foreign policy or some other issues, but still I do actually respect the man unlike say Trump.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/20/17 at 12:15 pm

I respect McCain as a person, so I hope that he can beat this terrible diagnosis. I wish him the best. However, I could just feel that there was something just not right with John ever since last year and I felt that he shouldn't have ran for re-election.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/20/17 at 12:24 pm

I respect McCain as a person, so I hope that he can beat this terrible diagnosis. I wish him the best. However, I could just feel that there was something just not right with John ever since last year and I felt that he shouldn't have ran for re-election.

Yeah I knew at least after seeing him at that Comey hearing a bit over a month ago when McCain sounded incoherent at times in his questioning that something most likely was wrong with him.

Written By: HugMePlz on 07/20/17 at 12:30 pm

John McCain was the very first presidential candidate I rooted for back in 2008, when I was only 6 then, and with that, I do wish him the best of luck on fighting his cancer.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/20/17 at 3:49 pm

I was really saddened by the news I saw this morning that Senator John McCain has been diagnosed with brain cancer. Apparently one of the worst forms too.  :( I truly am so saddened by this, McCain is a good decent man who has served this country with great honor. He's one of the few decent ones left in the Republican party. I wish him the best and pray that he could recover or at very least not suffer too much. :\'(

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/20/politics/john-mccain-cancer-battle/index.html

While I certainly wish him well re: health, he's been a terrible senator over the past six or seven years. He has come down on the wrong side of almost every foreign policy situation, including Libya, Syria, and
Ukraine.

Written By: 2001 on 07/20/17 at 4:27 pm

My sister had brain cancer; that stuff is pure misery. Wishing him a speedy recovery and him and his family as little pain as possible.  :(

One thing I find really respectable about him is he didn't use those conspiracy theories about Obama to his advantage and nipped that fake news in the bud back in 2008. That was a different time.  :(

Written By: 80sBaby90sTeen on 07/20/17 at 4:53 pm

John McCain was the very first presidential candidate I rooted for back in 2008, when I was only 6 then, and with that, I do wish him the best of luck on fighting his cancer.

A 6 year old interested in politics?

Written By: HugMePlz on 07/20/17 at 5:03 pm

Nah, I wasn't really interested in politics at the time, but I did remember rooting for McCain in that election.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/20/17 at 5:07 pm

Nah, I wasn't really interested in politics at the time, but I did remember rooting for McCain in that election.

What would you describe yourself as politically?

Written By: HugMePlz on 07/20/17 at 5:17 pm

What would you describe yourself as politically?

To make it short so we don't go fully off topic, a centrist (leaning both left and right).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/20/17 at 5:21 pm

To make it short so we don't go fully off topic, a centrist (leaning both left and right).

Just one more question, who did you support in 2012 and 2016?

Written By: exodus08 on 07/20/17 at 5:26 pm

Sad :(

Written By: 2001 on 07/20/17 at 5:29 pm

Sad :(

You're back. :o

Written By: exodus08 on 07/20/17 at 5:29 pm

You're back. :o

Yes I'm Back ;)

Written By: HugMePlz on 07/20/17 at 5:30 pm

Just one more question, who did you support in 2012 and 2016?

2012, Barack Obama, mostly due to the influence of my grandparents whom I lived with that that time.

2016, Hilary Clinton because Bernie Sanders lost the Democratic nomination.

Anyway, suppose we get back on topic.

I'm happy seeing people wishing McCain luck battling his cancer, and angry seeing people rooting for his death.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/20/17 at 7:28 pm

How does one even develop brain cancer...especially the most aggressive form?

Is it because he had melanoma in his cheek?

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 07/20/17 at 7:41 pm

How does one even develop brain cancer...especially the most aggressive form?

Is it because he had melanoma in his cheek?

I knew a person who died from glioblastoma (grade 4 glioma) and read a lot about it. It seems they're not sure what causes it, though there's many theories ranging from viral effects on cells to exposure to certain chemicals to underlying disorders that predispose one to develop brain cancer, although genetic predisposition does not seem to be a common factor. It's also not a secondary tumor that results from metastasis of cancer in another organ. For example, when lung cancer cells travel to the brain and tumor develop in the brain, it's not glioma, as the cells are differently mutated. The causes of glioblastoma are pretty much a mystery at this point, and it's a horrific disease. It's almost certainly fatal and the treatments used to prolong life by a number of months, like removal of the tumor or chemotherapy, can cause paralysis in the face, permanent loss of hearing in an ear, frequent nausea etc. There's also the pain of what feel like migraines.

The person I knew gave up on treatment in her late 20s, after only months of treatment, because it was virtually hopeless and the pain and misery were too much.

Definitely not a good way to go

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 07/20/17 at 7:45 pm

Back in 1988, I recall hearing on the car radio while my dad was driving about the chances of Bush becoming president. I remember thinking about a bush being the president (which I knew to be a powerful guy). It was a weird thought.  :)

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 07/20/17 at 7:51 pm

2012, Barack Obama, mostly due to the influence of my grandparents whom I lived with that that time.

2016, Hilary Clinton because Bernie Sanders lost the Democratic nomination.

Anyway, suppose we get back on topic.

I'm happy seeing people wishing McCain luck battling his cancer, and angry seeing people rooting for his death.

Yeah, regardless what anyone thinks of his politics, it's ugly when someone roots for a hideous cancer death.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 07/20/17 at 7:54 pm

My sister had brain cancer; that stuff is pure misery. Wishing him a speedy recovery and him and his family as little pain as possible.  :(

One thing I find really respectable about him is he didn't use those conspiracy theories about Obama to his advantage and nipped that fake news in the bud back in 2008. That was a different time.  :(

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of cancer was it? I knew someone with glioblastoma and I spent months reading about it, back in 2011-12, and about various other brain cancers (since hers was initially mistaken for the more benign meningioma).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/20/17 at 8:11 pm

I knew a person who died from glioblastoma (grade 4 glioma) and read a lot about it. It seems they're not sure what causes it, though there's many theories ranging from viral effects on cells to exposure to certain chemicals to underlying disorders that predispose one to develop brain cancer, although genetic predisposition does not seem to be a common factor. It's also not a secondary tumor that results from metastasis of cancer in another organ. For example, when lung cancer cells travel to the brain and tumor develop in the brain, it's not glioma, as the cells are differently mutated. The causes of glioblastoma are pretty much a mystery at this point, and it's a horrific disease. It's almost certainly fatal and the treatments used to prolong life by a number of months, like removal of the tumor or chemotherapy, can cause paralysis in the face, permanent loss of hearing in an ear, frequent nausea etc. There's also the pain of what feel like migraines.

The person I knew gave up on treatment in her late 20s, after only months of treatment, because it was virtually hopeless and the pain and misery were too much.

Definitely not a good way to go

Oh wow. That's brutal but thanks for the information.

Written By: 2001 on 07/20/17 at 9:31 pm

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of cancer was it? I knew someone with glioblastoma and I spent months reading about it, back in 2011-12, and about various other brain cancers (since hers was initially mistaken for the more benign meningioma).

It was lymphoma.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 07/20/17 at 9:37 pm

It was lymphoma.

So hers was a secondary brain tumor?

Written By: 2001 on 07/20/17 at 9:45 pm

So hers was a secondary brain tumor?

I'll ask my mother when I get the chance. To be honest, I don't really know, I was just told they discovered a brain tumour, and a letter I got from the social worker (so I could defer my exams at university) mentioned lymphoma.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 07/20/17 at 10:26 pm

I'll ask my mother when I get the chance. To be honest, I don't really know, I was just told they discovered a brain tumour, and a letter I got from the social worker (so I could defer my exams at university) mentioned lymphoma.

I don't mean to pry. At this point, after reading a lot about them, brain tumors fascinate me.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/20/17 at 11:22 pm

I hope he gets well soon. Having any type of cancer is not the business. One thing I appreciate about him though is that he doesn't go overboard with the fake news BS.

Check for new replies or respond here...