inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Any changes as of 7/20/17?

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/20/17 at 6:23 pm

Since the last time I asked this question?
:D

Subject: Re: Any changes as of 7/20/17?

Written By: Zelek3 on 07/20/17 at 7:08 pm

Personally I believe in the idea that late 2016 kicked off the late 2010s, similar to late 2006 kicking off the late 2000s.

Around August/September onwards, memes began to influence real life when Hillary attacked Pepe the Frog, the alt right rose to mainstream prominence, Trump unexpectedly won the election, the term "fake news" rose to the fray, etc. All pivotal changes that caused the shift from the mid 2010s to late 2010s.

So 2017 basically feels the same as late 2016 so far.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/20/17 at 7:32 pm

Personally I believe in the idea that late 2016 kicked off the late 2010s, similar to late 2006 kicking off the late 2000s.

Around August/September onwards, memes began to influence real life when Hillary attacked Pepe the Frog, the alt right rose to mainstream prominence, Trump unexpectedly won the election, the term "fake news" rose to the fray, etc. All pivotal changes that caused the shift from the mid 2010s to late 2010s.

2017 is not that different from 2015. Not much besides the President has changed since 2015.

Written By: Zelek3 on 07/20/17 at 7:39 pm

2017 is not that different from 2015. Not much besides the President has changed since 2015.

Memes didn't intermingle with reality in 2015 though.

Written By: kr37 on 07/20/17 at 7:55 pm

This year still feels much the same as 2015 and 2016, even though there is a different president, because Trump has been in the headlines since summer of 2015, two years ago.
Overall this year does not feel that different from the past couple years, though I remember someone on here saying that this year felt calmer. Perhaps it does.... I'm not quite sure.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/20/17 at 8:07 pm

This year still feels much the same as 2015 and 2016, even though there is a different president, because Trump has been in the headlines since summer of 2015, two years ago.
Overall this year does not feel that different from the past couple years, though I remember someone on here saying that this year felt calmer. Perhaps it does.... I'm not quite sure.

I agree.

Written By: 2001 on 07/20/17 at 9:14 pm

The new Game of Thrones season started, Nintendo launched their online app for the Switch and it's a disaster, Spiderman Homecoming came out and it's great, Donald Trump Jr. imploded, Uber introduced tipping, the first Tesla Model 3 rolled off the assembly. I think those are the main events that have occurred since the 5th of July.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/22/17 at 10:17 pm

No basically the same. In a lot of ways it's been almost exactly the same since Trump announced his run, now I'd say early 2015 is more different than now than I thought it was in January or something because it was actually "pre Trump" in terms of his presidential campaign. 2013-early 2015 was maybe a bit less charged and nasty as right now is, even if it was definitely getting bad. This year is a little different than even 2016 with Trump actually being president now. Honestly I even sort of miss 2016 now (at least say early 2016) slightly knowing Obama was actually still president then, even though everything was falling apart definitely. With Trump in there now and all the dumb stuff coming from the White House lately, it's just almost too much to handle. God every year seems to get worse WTF. I thought 2013 was bad back then, but idk now it seems slightly better than today. It's seems like it's always like this. It just seems to get worse and worse.  :-\\

Written By: bchris02 on 07/22/17 at 10:56 pm

No basically the same. In a lot of ways it's been almost exactly the same since Trump announced his run, now I'd say early 2015 is more different than now than I thought it was in January or something because it was actually "pre Trump" in terms of his presidential campaign. 2013-early 2015 was maybe a bit less charged and nasty as right now is, even if it was definitely getting bad. This year is a little different than even 2016 with Trump actually being president now. Honestly I even sort of miss 2016 now (at least say early 2016) slightly knowing Obama was actually still president then, even though everything was falling apart definitely. With Trump in there now and all the dumb stuff coming from the White House lately, it's just almost too much to handle. God every year seems to get worse WTF. I thought 2013 was bad back then, but idk now it seems slightly better than today. It's seems like it's always like this. It just seems to get worse and worse.  :-\\

I generally start the Trump era in spring of 2016 when he won the primary.  Before that, nobody thought he would even make it very far.  He was kind of a "joke" candidate and Jeb Bush was the favored one.

I do agree though.  You are really starting to feel some distance between today and as recently as 2015.  Music hasn't really changed much since 2013, but other areas of culture have shifted quite significantly since early 2015.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/22/17 at 11:03 pm

I generally start the Trump era in spring of 2016 when he won the primary.  Before that, nobody thought he would even make it very far.  He was kind of a "joke" candidate and Jeb Bush was the favored one.

I do agree though.  You are really starting to feel some distance between today and as recently as 2015.  Music hasn't really changed much since 2013, but other areas of culture have shifted quite significantly since early 2015.

Latin pop is rising to the mainstream. It didn't dominate the mainstream in 2015. Give it 6 months and Latin pop/reggaeton could be everywhere. Pop-punk is exploding underground, and could reach the mainstream by next year or 2019.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/22/17 at 11:07 pm

I honestly feel that the world is getting more monoculturistic (if that's a word). I feel like this is because of the rise of social media and digital devices such as smartphones, HDTVs, etc. It's sad to me that technology is killing the relative uniqueness of humans. Oh well, I can't do anything about it.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/23/17 at 1:15 am

I agree. Except I believe the shift started early 2016 with Brexit and all that. It is just like how it was in 2006 (which I felt a shift early that year too) and if it follows the same pattern as the '00s, the next shift should be in late 2018/early 2019.

Yeah I feel this too but even music changed a little bit. Nothing drastic but there is a slightly different vibe now compared to 2015.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/17 at 7:05 am

I honestly feel that the world is getting more monoculturistic (if that's a word). I feel like this is because of the rise of social media and digital devices such as smartphones, HDTVs, etc. It's sad to me that technology is killing the relative uniqueness of humans. Oh well, I can't do anything about it.

We've become oblivious zombies when we're on our phones lately. ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/23/17 at 8:11 am

Yep.  It all started when I'd take a bus ride and everybody was yapping on their cell phones.

Now they are dead silent, with their heads nodded down working their "smart phones" and iPads.  ::)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/23/17 at 8:53 am

Yep.  It all started when I'd take a bus ride and everybody was yapping on their cell phones.

Now they are dead silent, with their heads nodded down working their "smart phones" and iPads.  ::)

Both of you are correct.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/23/17 at 10:33 am

I agree. Except I believe the shift started early 2016 with Brexit and all that. It is just like how it was in 2006 (which I felt a shift early that year too) and if it follows the same pattern as the '00s, the next shift should be in late 2018/early 2019.
Yeah I feel this too but even music changed a little bit. Nothing drastic but there is a slightly different vibe now compared to 2015.

Brexit didn't occur in early 2016 ;D. That was in June, well into the year. I do agree with you though that since Brexit there has been a pretty distinct shift in 2010's culture. It was also around the time Nintendo started to enter a recent Renaissance with the popularity of Pokémon Go.

The Summer of 2016 up to about January 20, 2017 was probably the mid 2010's to late 2010's cultural transition looking back (JB's dominance solidified, Lady Gaga's slight comeback, Brexit, Trump's astounding victory, Pokémon Go, 4K becoming standard, announcement of Nintendo Switch and release of PS4 Pro, controversial IPhone 7 launch, etc.). Since January 21st, 2017, we've been in the cultural Late 2010's, even though many mid 2010's culture (the hipster trend for instance, although this may just be more of a core 2010's trend looking back) remains culturally relevant.

Written By: kr37 on 07/23/17 at 12:08 pm

I think that there certainly have been some things that have changed within this year, but overall everything going back to 2014 feels very current, at least to me. Unfortunately it seems like since then things have been getting more negative. I hope things get more positive soon, but probably the current atmosphere will fade out as 2014 feels more old and dated and thus people want something new.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/17 at 12:26 pm

Wherever you go whether it be on public transportation or off they're going to be on their stupid phones. ::)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/48/64/1d/48641d86c454a4fb6d77eb473152e679--funny-phone-wallpaper-wallpaper-iphone-quotes.jpg

Written By: #Infinity on 07/23/17 at 12:28 pm

Brexit didn't occur in early 2016 ;D. That was in June, well into the year.

Well, of course the term "early" could just as well stretch as late as August 2016, not to mention as early as November 2015. It's certainly more convenient than saying mid. 8-P

I do agree with you though that since Brexit there has been a pretty distinct shift in 2010's culture. It was also around the time Nintendo started to enter a recent Renaissance with the popularity of Pokémon Go.

Pokémon GO kicked the bucket after like a few weeks. Now it's just another generic app.

The Summer of 2016 up to about January 20, 2017 was probably the mid 2010's to late 2010's cultural transition looking back (JB's dominance solidified, Lady Gaga's slight comeback, Brexit, Trump's astounding victory, Pokémon Go, 4K becoming standard, announcement of Nintendo Switch and release of PS4 Pro, controversial IPhone 7 launch, etc.). Since January 21st, 2017, we've been in the cultural Late 2010's, even though many mid 2010's culture (the hipster trend for instance, although this may just be more of a core 2010's trend looking back) remains culturally relevant.

I really don't think we're deep enough into the decade to know when the obvious mid-late cutoff is for this decade, at least not culturally. Geopolitically, it's quite obvious.

Written By: 2001 on 07/23/17 at 2:26 pm

Wherever you go whether it be on public transportation or off they're going to be on their stupid phones. ::)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/48/64/1d/48641d86c454a4fb6d77eb473152e679--funny-phone-wallpaper-wallpaper-iphone-quotes.jpg

Hey, I'm posting on inthe00s! It's more social than staring at the floor. :P

Written By: 2001 on 07/23/17 at 2:48 pm

The economy is really strong in 2017. That is what stands out the most about this year.

Written By: Howard on 07/24/17 at 2:44 pm

Trump is still president and O.J. will be a free man.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/24/17 at 2:46 pm

Trump is still president and O.J. will be a free man.

Trump being exposed for corruption and O.J. being set free....is it the 1990s again or just deja vu? :D

Written By: Slim95 on 07/24/17 at 3:51 pm

Brexit didn't occur in early 2016 ;D. That was in June, well into the year. I do agree with you though that since Brexit there has been a pretty distinct shift in 2010's culture. It was also around the time Nintendo started to enter a recent Renaissance with the popularity of Pokémon Go.

Last time I checked, June is still considered early 2016...  ??? The second half of the year (late 2016) starts in July..

Written By: Slim95 on 07/24/17 at 3:53 pm

The economy is really strong in 2017. That is what stands out the most about this year.

Not here it isn't. Although the loonie is went up to 80 cents which is good. But it will probably go back down again.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/24/17 at 3:56 pm

Last time I checked, June is still considered early 2016...  ??? The second half of the year (late 2016) starts in July..

That's because you use the halves system. Most people use the thirds system (January to April as the early part of the year, May to August as the middle part of the year, September to December as the late part of the year).

Written By: Slim95 on 07/24/17 at 3:57 pm

I think that there certainly have been some things that have changed within this year, but overall everything going back to 2014 feels very current, at least to me. Unfortunately it seems like since then things have been getting more negative. I hope things get more positive soon, but probably the current atmosphere will fade out as 2014 feels more old and dated and thus people want something new.

2014 doesn't feel "dated". But it definitely does feel like a different era compared to now and I notice this quite well when I look at videos from 2014. It feels like we are quite removed and in a different time/atmosphere than we were in 2014. It will look quite dated 2-3 years from now.

Written By: 2001 on 07/24/17 at 5:09 pm

Wow, when did DJ Khaled's "I'm the One" come out? This is an awesome song. That dude's on fire!

Also, Shawn Mendes' "There's Nothin' Holding Me Back" is the first song of his that I like.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/24/17 at 5:19 pm

Wow, when did DJ Khaled's "I'm the One" come out? This is an awesome song. That dude's on fire!

"I'm the One" came out on April 28, 2017. Did you hear "I'm the One" just now, lol?

Written By: 2001 on 07/24/17 at 5:26 pm

"I'm the One" came out on April 28, 2017. Did you hear "I'm the One" just now, lol?

I heard it at a party yesterday. ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/24/17 at 5:30 pm

I heard it at a party yesterday. ;D

Wow, lol ;D.

I actually heard the song the same day it came out. The video was uploaded on YouTube the same day (April 28, 2017). The video had around 400,000 views (now it has over 516 million views :o). I thought it was OK at first but then I heard the song again at the beginning of June because one of my friends played it and it sounded better than before, lol. Now, it's one of my favorite songs of this year :D.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/24/17 at 10:40 pm

I'm not feeling DJ Khaled so far. I'm the One is too simple and hollow for my tastes. Wild Thoughts is decent but I feel like the Independent Women/Maria Maria samples are the reason for that.

Tyler The Creator just released Flower Boy and what I've heard so far is good.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/17 at 10:43 pm

I'm not feeling DJ Khaled so far. I'm the One is too simple and hollow for my tastes. Wild Thoughts is decent but I feel like the Independent Women/Maria Maria samples are the reason for that.

Tyler The Creator just released Flower Boy and what I've heard so far is good.
Independent women? Like Destiny's Child or is it by another artist with that same song title?

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/24/17 at 10:46 pm

Independent women? Like Destiny's Child or is it by another artist with that same song title?

Yep, Destiny's Child.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/24/17 at 10:47 pm

Yeah that does sample Independent Women by Destiny's Child. I'm listening to it now. That was one my favorite Destiny's Child songs back in the day. This song is alright but yeah it's probably because of the samples really.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/17 at 10:50 pm

Yeah, that does sample Independent Women by Destiny's Child. I'm listening to it now. That was one my favorite Destiny's Child songs back in the day. This song is alright but yeah it's probably because of the samples really.

Yep, Destiny's Child.
I listened to Wild thoughts a few times and I have heard the Maria Maria sample, but not the Independent Women one. I must have missed it. Is it the melody playing throughout the whole song except the chorus?

Written By: Brian06 on 07/24/17 at 10:51 pm

Listening to "Independent Women, Pt. 1" on my blue iMac back in 2001...omg the nostalgia. I remember burning CDs back that with songs like that and "Survivor" and thinking it was so amazing. I wanna go back to those days!

Written By: Brian06 on 07/24/17 at 10:51 pm

I listened to Wild thoughts a few times and I have heard the Maria Maria sample, but not the Independent Women one. I must have missed it. Is it the melody playing throughout the whole song except the chorus?

Yeah I missed it at first but now I definitely hear it.

Actually I think it's supposedly "Maria Maria" but that songs beat actually has similarities to "Independent Women" too. Did "Maria Maria" and "Independent Women" originally sample some other song? I'm confused now tbh lol.  ???

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/17 at 11:03 pm

Actually I think it's supposedly "Maria Maria" but that songs beat actually has similarities to "Independent Women" too. Did "Maria Maria" and "Independent Women" originally sample some other song? I'm confused now tbh lol.  ???
Maybe they did. However, I think it's less common to find samples in R&B and rock compared to hip hop.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/17 at 11:06 pm

Listening to "Independent Women, Pt. 1" on my blue iMac back in 2001...omg the nostalgia. I remember burning CDs back that with songs like that and "Survivor" and thinking it was so amazing. I wanna go back to those days!
Oh hell yeah! That song along with survivor and even bootylicious  :D :D ;D ;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/24/17 at 11:07 pm

Bg10rIsWI5s

Independent Women was one of my favorite songs from back then, too. As much as I didn't care for the early 2000s, Destiny's Child was one of the bright spots.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/17 at 11:17 pm

Bg10rIsWI5s

Independent Women was one of my favorite songs from back then, too. As much as I didn't care for the early 2000s, Destiny's Child was one of the bright spots.
It was mine as well!

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/24/17 at 11:19 pm

I'm confused now, too. Because I didn't know that...bassline? melody (I'm not a music major)... is used very prominently in both Maria Maria and Independent Women. But based on my short research by looking through wikipedia, songfacts, etc...it looks like Independent Women was the first to use it.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/24/17 at 11:22 pm

It was mine as well!

Nice.  :)

You know what? I'm gonna take it back and say I didn't care for the non-music culture of the early 2000s. I actually remember enjoying a lot of music during that time. However, I didn't care for the mainstream music culture of the mid-2000s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/17 at 11:26 pm

Nice.  :)

You know what? I'm gonna take it back and say I didn't care for the non-music culture of the early 2000s. I actually remember enjoying a lot of music during that time. However, I didn't care for the mainstream music culture of the mid-2000s.
Do you remember enjoying the games from that time?

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/24/17 at 11:38 pm

Do you remember enjoying the games from that time?

I was never really big on games although I did get sucked into Final Fantasy 7, 8, and Parasite Eve back in the late 90s. Mainly for the stories. I do remember playing a lot of Guitar Hero and smoking a lot of hookah with my friends in 2006. lol

Written By: John Titor on 07/26/17 at 4:45 pm

TRL is back as of July 14th

ppF0bvgmMm0&t=9s

Trump bans Transgenders, sadly

Written By: 2001 on 07/26/17 at 8:15 pm

The first Tesla Model 3 will be delivered on Friday. Get hyped!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/26/17 at 8:34 pm

The first Tesla Model 3 will be delivered on Friday. Get hyped!

The Tesla Model 3 is decent. However, my dream car (of the cars that I can afford eventually) is the BMW 3 Series 8).

Written By: 2001 on 07/26/17 at 8:58 pm

The Tesla Model 3 is decent. However, my dream car (of the cars that I can afford eventually) is the BMW 3 Series 8).

Silly, that's not an electric (I don't think)! Tesla is the future  8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/26/17 at 9:43 pm

Silly, that's not an electric (I don't think)! Tesla is the future  8)

I didn't say it was electric. When it comes to cars...I'm more traditionalistic.

However, I can deal with electric cars like Teslas but not self driving ones 8-P.

Written By: 2001 on 07/26/17 at 10:33 pm

I didn't say it was electric. When it comes to cars...I'm more traditionalistic.

However, I can deal with electric cars like Teslas but not self driving ones 8-P.

Wrong side of history.

In the future, diesel car shaming will be a thing.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/26/17 at 11:19 pm

Wrong side of history.

In the future, diesel car shaming will be a thing.

Wrong side of history...how? ???

Also, who said anything about diesel cars?

Written By: 2001 on 07/27/17 at 10:28 am

Wrong side of history...how? ???

Also, who said anything about diesel cars?

It was a joke lol.

I meant diesel/petrol.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/27/17 at 10:38 am

It was a joke lol.

OH OK :P.

I meant diesel/petrol.

I don't think that we have "diesel/petrol" here in the US.

Unless, you mean cars that run on diesel fuel and cars that run on gasoline ⛽.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/17 at 2:30 pm

I was reading that they might bring back Microsoft Paint after all.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/27/17 at 2:34 pm

I was reading that they might bring back Windows Paint after all.

They didn't even get rid of it and all they were talking about was just moving it.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/27/17 at 9:51 pm

The reviews for The Emoji Movie are finally coming in, and I gotta say...wow, I certainly didn't have expectations for a particularly positive response, but I'm in awe by just how flat-out abysmal the reception has been (it's currently at a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes with over 20 critics' reviews and counting). And I'm delighted to hear that, as it practically feels like we're finally getting vengeance over pointless phone culture, in addition to saying no to a sellout product that's thinks it's cutting edge but is really chalked full of clichés and lowbrow writing. Gotta love what RT has for the film's Critical Consensus, by the way.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/27/17 at 11:54 pm

The reviews for The Emoji Movie are finally coming in, and I gotta say...wow, I certainly didn't have expectations for a particularly positive response, but I'm in awe by just how flat-out abysmal the reception has been (it's currently at a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes with over 20 critics' reviews and counting). And I'm delighted to hear that, as it practically feels like we're finally getting vengeance over pointless phone culture, in addition to saying no to a sellout product that's thinks it's cutting edge but is really chalked full of clichés and lowbrow writing. Gotta love what RT has for the film's Critical Consensus, by the way.
I'm not sure if anyone has noticed it, but I realized that the phone culture has been very popular for the past few years. Emojis are literally everywhere to where they are now toys as well. I have a feeling that because of that film, there could be a backlash against phone culture and it might come soon.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/28/17 at 8:09 am

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed it, but I realized that the phone culture has been very popular for the past few years. Emojis are literally everywhere to where they are now toys as well. I have a feeling that because of that film, there could be a backlash against phone culture and it might come soon.

I don't know if this is apart of an ongoing trend, but since around the start of this year, I have noticed that people are checking their phones much less regularly in public. It's almost as if the novelty factor surrounding smartphones has completely worn off and people aren't as enticed to use their phones as they once were just a couple of years ago.

I hope a backlash against phone culture is beginning to emerge. To be honest, I hate the fact that smartphones have completely taken over people's lives. It's rare to have a conversation with someone who doesn't check their smartphone at least once during a conversation. :(

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/28/17 at 9:26 am

A few people may have backslashed against smartphones but most haven't and won't. I wish we could return to a world where we had cellphones but not smartphones but that time is long gone now.

Written By: Howard on 07/28/17 at 1:14 pm

I don't know if this is apart of an ongoing trend, but since around the start of this year, I have noticed that people are checking their phones much less regularly in public. It's almost as if the novelty factor surrounding smartphones has completely worn off and people aren't as enticed to use their phones as they once were just a couple of years ago.

I hope a backlash against phone culture is beginning to emerge. To be honest, I hate the fact that smartphones have completely taken over people's lives. It's rare to have a conversation with someone who doesn't check their smartphone at least once during a conversation. :(

I definitely agree that smartphones have taken over people's lives, it's everywhere now, you just can't escape it so I know how you feel.

Written By: Howard on 07/28/17 at 1:16 pm

A few people may have backslashed against smartphones but most haven't and won't. I wish we could return to a world where we had cellphones but not smartphones but that time is long gone now.

I wish I could return where people had face to face conversations, that's the time I'd like to return to.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/28/17 at 1:38 pm

Eh. Is it really the worst thing that somebody wants to check in on something during your conversation or should every conversation be the center of the universe?  :P

Written By: Zelek3 on 07/28/17 at 3:35 pm

I feel you, I miss the 2001-2006 era, though probably mostly because those were my childhood years.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/28/17 at 3:54 pm

I think the only thing that gets me about smartphone culture is the driving while smartphoning. Now, THIS is a real life and death matter and unfortunately, even for me, it's hard to resist the urge to look through my Spotify while driving as I try to find a song.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/28/17 at 3:55 pm

I feel you, I miss the 2001-2006 era, though probably mostly because those were my childhood years.

Yeah, same here.

Written By: 2001 on 07/28/17 at 4:13 pm

Eh. Is it really the worst thing that somebody wants to check in on something during your conversation or should every conversation be the center of the universe?  :P

It's not fun when you're watching a movie or other video, and the person is on their phone all the time and keeps missing important parts, and then you have to explain to them what they missed. In general, I don't like it, being on a phone while talking means "what's on my phone is more interesting than you". Maybe it's true, but we have manners and social rules for a reason. :P I think smartphones are new thing so people are still trying to figure out what social rules to place on them, but hopefully one day "don't look at your phone while talking to someone" will be just as much of a rule as "cover your mouth when you sneeze" ;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/28/17 at 5:40 pm

It's not fun when you're watching a movie or other video, and the person is on their phone all the time and keeps missing important parts, and then you have to explain to them what they missed. In general, I don't like it, being on a phone while talking means "what's on my phone is more interesting than you". Maybe it's true, but we have manners and social rules for a reason. :P I think smartphones are new thing so people are still trying to figure out what social rules to place on them, but hopefully one day "don't look at your phone while talking to someone" will be just as much of a rule as "cover your mouth when you sneeze" ;D

The movie theater phone thing is a definite no-no, I forgot about that one. I'm okay with kicking out serial texters. Watching movies at home? Don't freaking tell the person what happened. If they wanna pay attention to their phones and miss things, let em.

To me, it really depends on the conversation. I've always hated the whole, "when we're together, we gotta talk talk talk and never be silent" thing. Getting on my phone is a nice way of saying that I just wanna fking do my own thing right now since there's nothing really important to talk about. I get that there are moments where that can be rude, especially when the subject calls for full attention but jeez...do we really have to talk the entire time we're together?

Written By: 2001 on 07/28/17 at 6:19 pm

The movie theater phone thing is a definite no-no, I forgot about that one. I'm okay with kicking out serial texters. Watching movies at home? Don't freaking tell the person what happened. If they wanna pay attention to their phones and miss things, let em.

In one context, we were watching funny YouTube videos, and when it was my turn go pick something, I picked a funny video that's uses more "verbal humour" and you have to listen to what the person is saying. But everyone was on their phone and missed the jokes  :-\\ And yeah, it happens a lot when watching movies at home too.

To me, it really depends on the conversation. I've always hated the whole, "when we're together, we gotta talk talk talk and never be silent" thing. Getting on my phone is a nice way of saying that I just wanna fking do my own thing right now since there's nothing really important to talk about. I get that there are moments where that can be rude, especially when the subject calls for full attention but jeez...do we really have to talk the entire time we're together?

I can see what you mean. Awkward pauses are more annoying than someone being on their phone.

Written By: wixness on 07/28/17 at 6:59 pm

We probably should just keep supporting the guys that make smartphones and mobile broadband expensive.

Written By: 2001 on 07/28/17 at 7:02 pm

We probably should just keep supporting the guys that make smartphones and mobile broadband expensive.

Not a chance ;D

Written By: wixness on 07/28/17 at 7:14 pm

Not a chance ;D

My logic here is that eventually, the phones or more generous mobile broadband plans will be too much for the consumer.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/28/17 at 7:28 pm

My logic here is that eventually, the phones or more generous mobile broadband plans will be too much for the consumer.

Your logic doesn't take into account that the consumer would rather put up with smartphone culture than pay higher bills.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/28/17 at 7:41 pm

Your logic doesn't take into account that the consumer would rather put up with smartphone culture than pay higher bills.

This right here.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/28/17 at 8:36 pm

The only thing that will ease this "smartphone" craze is if an even more advanced phone/communication device were to somehow suddenly hit the market. That might not be for another 10 or so years.... maybe sooner...

Written By: Howard on 07/29/17 at 5:05 am

invasion of privacy.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/17 at 5:06 am

I think the only thing that gets me about smartphone culture is the driving while smartphoning. Now, THIS is a real life and death matter and unfortunately, even for me, it's hard to resist the urge to look through my Spotify while driving as I try to find a song.

and this is why you see commercials on texting and driving. ::)

Written By: wixness on 07/29/17 at 8:44 am

and this is why you see commercials on texting and driving. ::)

Those things existed before smartphones, when drivers were warned not to call and drive or else they'd be prosecuted.

Written By: Howard on 07/30/17 at 5:22 am

Those things existed before smartphones, when drivers were warned not to call and drive or else they'd be prosecuted.

and now we're seeing it with smartphones too which makes them more oblivious to what's around them.  ::)

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/02/17 at 12:34 am

I consider the shift to be late 2016 because it felt quite a bit darker and more apprehensive than the preceding months.

The day after the U.S. election, the atmosphere in my neighborhood felt dead.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/02/17 at 1:32 am

Same.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 08/02/17 at 10:23 am

I consider the shift to be late 2016 because it felt quite a bit darker and more apprehensive than the preceding months.

Might depend on location.
In Florida, I've noticed nothing but upbeat vibes and more greetings since the election.
Our population is generally conservative, and there was strong anti-Hillary sentiment (justified or not) throughout SoFla during the election.
In Texas, Louisiana and Nebraska, people seemed to be extraordinary friendly too but that might just be their nature. Didn't get a dark feeling out of my travels there in the past several months.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/02/17 at 1:23 pm

Might depend on location.
In Florida, I've noticed nothing but upbeat vibes and more greetings since the election.
Our population is generally conservative, and there was strong anti-Hillary sentiment (justified or not) throughout SoFla during the election.
In Texas, Louisiana and Nebraska, people seemed to be extraordinary friendly too but that might just be their nature. Didn't get a dark feeling out of my travels there in the past several months.

South Florida voted overwhelmingly for Hillary. Maybe, it's just the area you live in.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/17 at 2:43 pm

Scaramucci's gone.

Check for new replies or respond here...