inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is teen pop finally on its way out?

Written By: bchris02 on 07/22/17 at 10:48 pm

If there is any defined change so far in 2017 compared to the mid '10s is that teen pop isn't near as prominent.  Ariana Grande's latest single was a flop.  One Direction, The Wanted, and 5 Seconds of Summer are irrelevant.  You also don't have a lot of people like Cher Lloyd still on the radio.  You do still have some long-term mainstays like Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus.  They have both matured significantly though since their debut as teen pop.  Maybe it's just because she's between albums, but Taylor Swift hasn't been conspicuously absent from Top 40 recently compared to most of the mid '10s.

While EDM, trap rap, and disco revival are still going strong, it looks like teen pop might be on its way out.  Generally teen pop eras only last about 4-5 years before evolving into something else so this one is about at its expiration anyways.

Subject: Re: Is teen pop finally on its way out?

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/22/17 at 11:01 pm

I think we are under transition from the teen pop/trap rap era to an era where latin pop and pop-punk are more prominent. Simplistic music that is either party material or angst driven (respectively).
We will have to wait and see when trap rap fully fizzles out because it's well past its prime... and as for teen pop, 2010s teen pop is definitely dying out.
Latin pop and/or pop-punk (currently thriving underground) could be among the defining genres of the 2020s. I predict that latin pop will primarily be a late 2010s/early 2020s thing and pop-punk (or punk-rock) could thrive in the mainstream beginning late 2018/2019 and last well into the 2020s. We will see.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/22/17 at 11:10 pm

I think we are under transition from the teen pop/trap rap era to an era where latin pop and pop-punk are more prominent. Simplistic music that is either party material or angst driven (respectively).
We will have to wait and see when trap rap fully fizzles out because it's well past its prime... and as for teen pop, 2010s teen pop is definitely dying out.
Latin pop and/or pop-punk (currently thriving underground) could be among the defining genres of the 2020s. I predict that latin pop will primarily be a late 2010s/early 2020s thing and pop-punk (or punk-rock) could thrive in the mainstream beginning late 2018/2019 and last well into the 2020s. We will see.

I hope you are right.  I might actually like next decade's music better than '10s music if this is the direction it's going, despite the fact that I am getting older.

Post-grunge kept on well past its prime.  I would say it was fresh in the early '00s but by around 2005 I was wondering how or why Nickelback was still popular.  Fast forward to 2009 and post-grunge is still going.  It finally fizzled out in 2010 with "September" by Daughtry being the last song that had significant radio airplay.

I can see trap following the same path, continuing well past its expiration date.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/22/17 at 11:16 pm

Didn't One Direction all go solo? I hear a lot of a lot of songs I think are One Direction members gone solo, one has a song with T Swift actually. The Wanted are like one hit wonders from 2012. Haven't heard about them in a while. 5 Seconds of Summer is another group that I honestly have only heard maybe 2 songs from, and that was possibly 3 years ago. Bieber is like a featured artist on a lot rap songs now, I can't help but laugh when hearing him on all these hip hop songs. Miley...she's around with that new song that was her first in a while. Ariana actually has a good voice so I sort of like her...sometimes. :D Taylor Swift...tired of her overrated. Cher Lloyd eh she had a couple of hits a few years back, yeah she's not really relevant right now.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/23/17 at 2:15 am

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but just because a music scene may be thriving underground, it does not necessarily mean that it will emerge in the mainstream in a few years time. Psychedelic rock has been booming in the Australian underground music scene since the Early 2010s, but with the exception of successful album releases (i.e King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard released an album exactly a month ago which debuted at #3), the genre has yet to truly breakthrough into the mainstream. None of the singles have appeared in the Top 50.

Don't get me wrong, it would be great if there is a change in the music scene and pop-punk emerges in the next year or so. However, i'm not getting my hopes up.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/23/17 at 2:22 am

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but just because a music scene may be thriving underground, it does not necessarily mean that it will emerge in the mainstream in a few years time. Psychedelic rock has been booming in the Australian underground music scene since the Early 2010s, but with the exception of successful album releases (i.e King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard released an album exactly a month ago which debuted at #3), the genre has yet to truly breakthrough into the mainstream. None of the singles have appeared in the Top 50.

Don't get me wrong, it would be great if there is a change in the music scene and pop-punk emerges in the next year or so. However, i'm not getting my hopes up.

I don't blame you for your pessimistic approach, but the attitude in the past few years has gotten more angsty and rebellious than at the start of the decade (when it was cheerier by comparison). This current mood reflects pop-punk, and being that we are headed for some serious "early-mid 2000s" nostalgia, the pop-punk era will be looked at with more fondness in the coming years. That's why I see foresee a brief comeback to the mainstream as early as 2018/2019, and at least by the early 2020s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/17 at 10:35 pm

I actually think it's been on its way out for some time. The artists who were placed in that genre have pretty much changed their image and music. AG's Dangerous Woman album (aside from Side to Side) is much different compared to her first two. Malibu is much different compared to Wrecking Ball. Even SG has mature songs (except Same Old Love.). I honestly think Teen pop went back underground some time ago.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/24/17 at 10:37 pm

I actually think it's been on its way out for some time. The artists who were placed in that genre have pretty much changed their image and music. AG's Dangerous Woman album (aside from Side to Side) is much different compared to her first two. Malibu is much different compared to Wrecking Ball. Even SG has mature songs (except Same Old Love.). I honestly think Teen pop went back underground some time go.

"It Ain't Me" is actually very solid from Selena. Selena Gomez...another one of my weird guilty pleasures and long time crushes. :D  ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/17 at 10:40 pm

"It Ain't Me" is actually very solid from Selena. Selena Gomez...another one of my weird guilty pleasures and long time crushes. :D  ;D
I heard that song many times and I agree. It is good.

Written By: aja675 on 07/26/17 at 10:30 am

Shouldn't this thread have been made last year?

Written By: Bab2781 on 07/26/17 at 10:45 am

Pop will never fade out.

Written By: John Titor on 07/26/17 at 4:43 pm

If there is any defined change so far in 2017 compared to the mid '10s is that teen pop isn't near as prominent.  Ariana Grande's latest single was a flop.  One Direction, The Wanted, and 5 Seconds of Summer are irrelevant.  You also don't have a lot of people like Cher Lloyd still on the radio.  You do still have some long-term mainstays like Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus.  They have both matured significantly though since their debut as teen pop.  Maybe it's just because she's between albums, but Taylor Swift hasn't been conspicuously absent from Top 40 recently compared to most of the mid '10s.

While EDM, trap rap, and disco revival are still going strong, it looks like teen pop might be on its way out.  Generally teen pop eras only last about 4-5 years before evolving into something else so this one is about at its expiration anyways.

Teen pop is being heavily promoted on TRL so I would say no lol  It is making a comeback
ppF0bvgmMm0&t=9s

Check for new replies or respond here...