inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: There won't be any core 2010s nostalgia

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/01/17 at 8:53 pm

I haven't heard of 1930s nostalgia because the 1930s sucked. Same with the 2010s.

Subject: Re: There won't be any core 2010s nostalgia

Written By: 2001 on 08/01/17 at 9:02 pm

Ermm if I can sit through mid 2000s nostalgia, you can definitely handle mid 2010s nostalgia.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/01/17 at 10:07 pm

Ermm if I can sit through mid 2000s nostalgia, you can definitely handle mid 2010s nostalgia.

what's there to be nostalgic about for the mid 2010s?

Written By: Escondudo on 08/01/17 at 10:12 pm

Every jazz club is a center for 1920s and 1930s nostalgia. It's way too soon to judge what people will be nostalgic for when it comes to the mid 2010s.

I haven't heard of 1930s nostalgia because the 1930s sucked. Same with the 2010s.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/01/17 at 10:50 pm

Every jazz club is a center for 1920s and 1930s nostalgia. It's way too soon to judge what people will be nostalgic for when it comes to the mid 2010s.

1920s and early 1930s when it still had some 1920s culture but darker. Not core 1930s.

Written By: wixness on 08/01/17 at 11:19 pm

I hope this will be the case. I will lose my proverbial excrement if it isn't.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/01/17 at 11:56 pm

I hope this will be the case. I will lose my proverbial excrement if it isn't.

Yeah I mean there was at least underground individuality and edge in the 00s. Not so much in the 10s.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/02/17 at 12:14 am

WHY?!, I don't understand why everyone on here hates on the 2010s so much! >:(. Just wait till 2027 and then see what you think, I know I will be very nostalgic for the 2010s :P

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/02/17 at 12:16 am

WHY?!, I don't understand why everyone on here hates on the 2010s so much! >:(. Just wait till 2027 and then see what you think, I know I will be very nostalgic for the 2010s :P

People on this board seem to like the early 2010s, but hate the mid-late 2010s. It's a rather common sentiment on here that 2009-2012 was an optimistic era, but 2013/2014-present has been more of a bitterly cynical and divisive one.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/02/17 at 4:28 am

Well for one, those women's blouses that have the shoulder cutouts.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/02/17 at 5:57 am

Core 2010s nostalgia will happen at some point. Nostalgia naturally forms out of the passage of time, so people will one day become fond of the popular culture of this era, as horrible as it may be. I can just imagine someone in 2026 or 2027 being nostalgic for songs such as "Shut Up and Dance", "Cheerleader" or "Uptown Funk".

Written By: mqg96 on 08/02/17 at 12:00 pm

People said the exact same thing about the core 2000's for YEARS! So this thread is an EPIC FAIL!

Written By: Slim95 on 08/02/17 at 1:46 pm

Yes there will be. Everyone here sounds like how they sounded during the 2000s. You do realize the 2000s were the most hated decade when they ended? I clearly remember that. Everyone's hate for the 2010s here is absolutely ridiculous. A couple years ago people hated the early 2010s and now they are praising it (I still hate it). The point is nostalgia happens with the passage of time and even if you don't see it now, people will miss this time period in the future, especially 2010s kids.

If technology changes a lot and moves away from conventional smartphones, I can see nostalgia being even bigger. For me personally I get most nostalgic for "simpler times" so I miss the time without cell phones and social media in the 2000s. If there is new advanced technology that grows and becomes popular next decade, smartphones will look like old school technology and people will miss these simpler times as well. It's just the way it is.

There is good and bad in every decade. Stop focusing on the bad only and look around and find stuff you like.

Written By: wixness on 08/02/17 at 7:51 pm

There is good and bad in every decade. Stop focusing on the bad only and look around and find stuff you like.

Which reminds me, I have mixed feelings about Black Veil Brides. I like their aesthetic, although I think their music is a bit lighter than I like. They have been relevant in the 2010s and Andy so far has moved into a solo project, which is also my source of mixed feelings of the band. Thing is, it's also the only band I feel like that tries to keep the spirit of the 2000s alive even though they resemble KISS more than various 2000s alternative rock bands.

Written By: 2001 on 08/02/17 at 10:11 pm

My university years were from 2011-2016. I had fun, made my closest friends, tried many new things for the first time,  and really discovered who I was, so I'm going to be nostalgic for this period.

I like the fashion, the chic casual/preppy/hipster styles. Even the embarrassingly bad ones. Like this hipster beard I had in 2015. It's so embarrassing to look at my pictures from then, but it's nostalgic. I can already see my future kids laughing at me and saying "that's so 2010s!", the same way I react to my dad's '70s photos ;D

I like the dance music, there's a lot of stuff from 2011-2014 that already remind me of fun memories. You can go on YouTube and look them up and you'll already see comments like "who's watching in 2017?" and "I miss music from then!". Personally I miss a lot of the jazz infusion in music from 2014. Songs like Shake It Off, Uptown Funk, All About That Bass, Problems, Bang Bang etc. many others. I wonder why that style disappeared completely by mid-2015. Anyway, there are a lot of 2015-2017 music I'll be nostalgic for too. Especially the summer songs and Drake's music. They'll remind me of good memories.

I love the movies and the TV shows. 2014 is probably my favourite year of all time for movies for Interstellar alone.  Critics agree we're in the Golden Age of Television, despite what people on this forum say, and I agree with them: the 2010s is the best decade for TV imo.

I love the technology. It seems like every year I'm buying some life changing technology, and it's a really awe inspiring time to be a tech enthusiast. Sometimes you have take a step back to realize how far we've come, the world has completely changed since 2010. Also on the topic of technology, I'll be nostalgic for the Android vs. iOS OS wars of 2010-2015. It was like everyday I was arguing with my friends about that stuff. It's the 2010s version of Nintendo vs Sega ;D

I also love the progressive atmosphere of this decade. We went from 50% of Ontario being supportive of LGB (and almost non-existent support for T) rights like marriage in 2008 to 85-90% today (and 75% for the trans rights bill). There's also things like Idle No More (Native rights), this new wave of feminism, and the explosion of environmental activism this decade. All these thing are hip to me. We got marijuana legalized, euthanasia legalized, a carbon tax, free tuition for low income people, minimum wage increases, Canada Child Benefit (minimum income for all kids), a guaranteed minimum income pilot, working towards universal PharmaCare, 80% of the country was governed by a female premier (equivalent of state Governor) at one point, and in Ontario we elected our first female and openly lesbian premier (even though I didn't vote for her and she's terrible lol) etc. I can go on forever. It's the most progressive and transformative decade since the 1960s. I think people will look back on it with awe and remark on how forward thinking it was. I know in the US and Europe things went south in this regard, but thankfully not every country is following that trajectory LOL.

I think I'm starting to babble now so I'll stop there. I could honestly go on forever. There's a lot to be nostalgic for in this decade, it's not even particularly bad. You just gotta go out there and make beautiful memories for yourself.  8)

Written By: wixness on 08/02/17 at 10:39 pm

My university years were from 2011-2016. I had fun, made my closest friends, tried many new things for the first time,  and really discovered who I was, so I'm going to be nostalgic for this period.

I like the fashion, the chic casual/preppy/hipster styles. Even the embarrassingly bad ones. Like this hipster beard I had in 2015. It's so embarrassing to look at my pictures from then, but it's nostalgic. I can already see my future kids laughing at me and saying "that's so 2010s!", the same way I react to my dad's '70s photos ;D

I like the dance music, there's a lot of stuff from 2011-2014 that already remind me of fun memories. You can go on YouTube and look them up and you'll already see comments like "who's watching in 2017?" and "I miss music from then!". Personally I miss a lot of the jazz infusion in music from 2014. Songs like Shake It Off, Uptown Funk, All About That Bass, Problems, Bang Bang etc. many others. I wonder why that style disappeared completely by mid-2015. Anyway, there are a lot of 2015-2017 music I'll be nostalgic for too. Especially the summer songs and Drake's music. They'll remind me of good memories.

I love the movies and the TV shows. 2014 is probably my favourite year of all time for movies for Interstellar alone.  Critics agree we're in the Golden Age of Television, despite what people on this forum say, and I agree with them: the 2010s is the best decade for TV imo.

I love the technology. It seems like every year I'm buying some life changing technology, and it's a really awe inspiring time to be a tech enthusiast. Sometimes you have take a step back to realize how far we've come, the world has completely changed since 2010. Also on the topic of technology, I'll be nostalgic for the Android vs. iOS OS wars of 2010-2015. It was like everyday I was arguing with my friends about that stuff. It's the 2010s version of Nintendo vs Sega ;D

I also love the progressive atmosphere of this decade. We went from 50% of Ontario being supportive of LGB (and almost non-existent support for T) rights like marriage in 2008 to 85-90% today (and 75% for the trans rights bill). There's also things like Idle No More (Native rights), this new wave of feminism, and the explosion of environmental activism this decade. All these thing are hip to me. We got marijuana legalized, euthanasia legalized, a carbon tax, free tuition for low income people, minimum wage increases, Canada Child Benefit (minimum income for all kids), a guaranteed minimum income pilot, working towards universal PharmaCare, 80% of the country was governed by a female premier (equivalent of state Governor) at one point, and in Ontario we elected our first female and openly lesbian premier (even though I didn't vote for her and she's terrible lol) etc. I can go on forever. It's the most progressive and transformative decade since the 1960s. I think people will look back on it with awe and remark on how forward thinking it was. I know in the US and Europe things went south in this regard, but thankfully not every country is following that trajectory LOL.

I think I'm starting to babble now so I'll stop there. I could honestly go on forever. There's a lot to be nostalgic for in this decade, it's not even particularly bad. You just gotta go out there and make beautiful memories for yourself.  8)

Only thing I like about this is the politics. I just want the part of the 2010s back when emo and scene was still cool.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/02/17 at 11:21 pm

Nailed it. I completely agree with you on this.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/02/17 at 11:26 pm

Yeah that style of music actually saved the 2010s. Ever since it left around late 2015 music has been really horrible. I still believe Uptown Funk was the greatest popular song of this decade. Oddly enough I do already miss some of the music from the mid 2010s even some of the poppy Taylor Swift stuff (Don't tell anyone I said that  :-X). Even though at the time I didn't really appreciate the music, now compared to what is always on the radio now that music (all the throwbacks and jazzy songs) was actually good!

Even though I didn't listen to him Sam Smith also wasn't too bad and he was one of the most popular singers in 2014. 2013 is still my favourite year for music this decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/02/17 at 11:34 pm

Game of Thrones, Star Wars movies, my university years, Hopsin (one of my favourite rappers), pre-2016 smartphone hype (back when it was exciting as now phones have gotten boring), some social media apps are all things I will be nostalgic for in the future.

Pokemon GO, Fidget Spinners, Hunger Games, superhero films of this decade, vines, memes of this decade, trap music and today's EDM style are all things other people may get nostalgic for in the future.

There are plenty of stuff to get nostalgic for. In fact, there is actually more cultural trends/fads this decade then there were in the 2000s!

Written By: Howard on 08/03/17 at 5:13 am

Game of Thrones, Star Wars movies, my university years, Hopsin (one of my favourite rappers), pre-2016 smartphone hype (back when it was exciting as now phones have gotten boring), some social media apps are all things I will be nostalgic for in the future.

Pokemon GO, Fidget Spinners, Hunger Games, superhero films of this decade, vines, memes of this decade, trap music and today's EDM style are all things other people may get nostalgic for in the future.

There are plenty of stuff to get nostalgic for. In fact, there is actually more cultural trends/fads this decade then there were in the 2000s!

Why would I get nostalgic for that? They're pieces of junk. ::)

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 08/03/17 at 5:34 am

There definitely was some nostalgia for the 1930s, ever heard of Swing music? It was in its prime in the 1930's.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/03/17 at 7:12 am

Why would I get nostalgic for that? They're pieces of junk. ::)

People don't want to admit it, but fidget spinners definitely remind me of a fad that would have been VERY POPULAR and ADDICTIVE in the 90's or early 2000's. It just has that vibe I'm telling you. Everybody on here is complaining about it because it was made in the mid 2010's and it's easy to criticize something a time period you don't like. I would take fidget spinners over Pokemon toys any day. I agree with most of Slowpoke's points and Slim's too. Now I'm not a big fan of most trap music but I do like some trap elements in other genres of music (outside of hip-hop). I think 2000's and 2010's music are equally good in different ways but it depends on how you look at it. I believe the trap music in hip hop songs and disco/teen pop revival are just as bad as the emo/punk/rock and snap songs of the mid 2000's. Electropop throughout the 2010's have been better than the 2000's, but hip-hop and R&B music were clearly better in the 2000's than 2010's.

Pokemon GO was really fun last year. I've always been a huge fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies since it started in 2008, and some of the Marvel shows on Netflix are phenomenal especially Agents of Shield (my banner). The DC movies are starting to pick up but my only favorites so far are Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman. There's a lot of pop culture of TV and movies that could easily compete with the 2000's or are better, that's just a fact. Movies from 2012-present have been better than most of the 2000's. The only thing that makes TV in the 2000's better than the 2010's is the fact that cable television was better (including networks like Nick, Disney, CN, ABC Family, G4, Food Network, etc.). Throughout the 2010's cable television has been dying with lack of content and repetitive schedules because of digital streaming services, the internet, and Netflix, and speaking of Netflix, that's the modern day Blockbuster. If you want to find your favorite shows today, just go on Netflix, Hulu, HBO, On Demand, or any other digital service, and don't give me the "it costs too much; we can't afford it." accuse because that's equivalent to how people couldn't afford cable back in the 90's, a Blockbuster subscription, or how people couldn't afford digital cable back in the 2000's. The outlets have always been there and those always cost an amount per month.

The political and worldly cultural events have been a lot worse in the 2010's than it was in the 2000's, especially since Trump got in office, but things were already bad before then with police brutality, ISIS, SJW's, and politically correctness due to certain folks making everybody afraid to embrace their true beliefs. The gaming industry throughout the 2010's has been worse than the 2000's. I'd take late 5th gen, 6th gen, and early 7th gen any day over 7th and 8th gen. Although, I have to say 2017 for gaming has surprising been one of the better years for gaming in a long time with Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8: Deluxe, Nintendo Switch, Injustice 2, etc.

Written By: Emman on 08/03/17 at 4:38 pm

There definitely was some nostalgia for the 1930s, ever heard of Swing music? It was in its prime in the 1930's.

I don't know if there was explicit Thirties nostalgia in the 1960s but a lot of the rock musicians of that time were heavily influenced by '30s folk-blues. There was a kind of '30s revival in the late 1980s as well, especially with Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal video, the club is even called "Club 30s". The angular, boxy designs of the '80s in general is like neo Art Deco.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/04/17 at 12:49 am

People said that about the 2000s as well when they were ending.  For me, there are some things about the mid '10s I will miss.  I honestly don't mind a lot of the culture of the mid '10s, especially 2014-15 era, and wish I could have experienced it under better circumstances.  I wish I could have been myself through that era being that it seemed to focus a lot on individualism.

I think the late '10s will be the era nobody will be nostalgic for.  There isn't much good I can think of in today's culture if this is representative of the late '10s.  This is probably the peak year for trap music and disco revival, the worst genres of the '10s.  Electropop is dead and even EDM teen pop seems to be waning.  To find good music, you pretty much have to go underground these days.

As for the '30s, there was plenty of '30s nostalgia.  It's simply that the era has faded out of "pop culture" and into "pop history." 

Written By: superblyexhausted on 08/04/17 at 5:12 pm

This is the funniest post I've ever read on this site and I'm not quite sure why. You just blanket dismissed two entire decades without a second thought and it's almost amazing.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 06/28/21 at 1:03 pm

it's hard to be nostalgic for an era with zero identity

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 06/28/21 at 1:26 pm

Or one devoid of hope.
I'm not talking about the 2020s. It may be familiar to people who read my posts that I consider 2018 "the year hope goes to die."

Written By: NightmareFarm on 06/28/21 at 1:30 pm

Or one devoid of hope.
I'm not talking about the 2020s. It may be familiar to people who read my posts that I consider 2018 "the year hope goes to die."

10s in general is devoid of hope after 2012

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 06/28/21 at 1:31 pm

Yep!

Written By: deloresthegreat on 06/30/21 at 2:46 am

I feel like it did have identity esp as someone who grew up back then

Written By: NightmareFarm on 06/30/21 at 5:09 am

I feel like it did have identity esp as someone who grew up back then

I assume we're talking about the mid 2010s(2014-2016), right?

Written By: deloresthegreat on 07/02/21 at 2:17 am

Yes.  I was a kid (and still technically am) but I feel like 2014 and 2015 at least did have a culture, 2016 idk about.  I think there will be nostalgia for those times

Written By: NightmareFarm on 07/02/21 at 5:52 am

Yes.  I was a kid (and still technically am) but I feel like 2014 and 2015 at least did have a culture, 2016 idk about.  I think there will be nostalgia for those times

Well I don't get how it did.

Music was pretty generic at the time. It wasn't the electropop we had in the first 4 years or the pop with similar production elements and mumble rap/trap era of the late 10s.

Gaming was still in transition between 7th and 8th gen.

Memes were in an experimental phase.

etc.

The only thing besides my personal life that feels iconic from that era is trump running for president, the rise of isis and gay marriage being legalised.

Written By: CarCar on 07/02/21 at 10:04 pm

I don’t get all the 2010s hate tbh

Written By: NightmareFarm on 07/02/21 at 10:08 pm

I don’t get all the 2010s hate tbh

What's there to like about it? Music sucked, gaming was mediocre, meh movies, everything feels dull and artificial(maybe because of technology???). Terror attacks are more normalised thanks to ISIS. Everything feels political. The economy sucked too.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/02/21 at 10:19 pm

Only the middle part of the 2010s was somewhat redeemable. But in all honesty the entire decade sucked. There was good and bad all decade but mostly bad. And the early 2010s were the worst part of the entire decade (besides 2018 which was exceptionally trash). The only year I would consider good and carefree was 2013. There was something about that year that just felt really good.

Written By: CarCar on 07/02/21 at 11:15 pm

What's there to like about it? Music sucked, gaming was mediocre, meh movies, everything feels dull and artificial(maybe because of technology???). Terror attacks are more normalised thanks to ISIS. Everything feels political. The economy sucked too.

I actually liked the music and videos games tbh. Except the movies got a little repetitive with the whole mcu thing, but I don’t really have the attention span for movies anyways, TV Shows are more my thing.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/03/21 at 7:45 am

The 2020's suck even more so there might be some nostalgia for the 10's in the near future, maybe the later part of this decade. For me everything after 2012 is kind of a blur and I don't remember many things that make the years distinct like the past years, other than basics like 2016 being the year of Trump's election and Pokemon Go, or 2015 being the year of "Uptown Funk" and "Hotline Bling". Other than that, those years kind of run together. I think having so many Marvel/Avengers movies made it feel that way, that it all looks the same. Also the music all sounds the same, mainly trap/mumble rap and generic pop.

Written By: CarCar on 07/08/21 at 9:19 am

2016 aesthetic
https://youtu.be/k9XIKZ24VrE

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 07/28/21 at 7:05 pm

I just meant that I would agree with Slim about 2018 being irredeemable, even though me and Slim are far from agreeing about 2013.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 07/28/21 at 8:13 pm

I just meant that I would agree with Slim about 2018 being irredeemable, even though me and Slim are far from agreeing about 2013.

Oh. Yeah, i'd definitely agree with that too. The year mumble crap was everywhere, fortnite exploded and MCU started to hit its peak in popularity.

Check for new replies or respond here...