inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When will trap finally die?

Written By: bchris02 on 08/05/17 at 11:18 pm

Earlier this year it seemed like trap may have been on its last legs.  This summer proved that incorrect.  I would say right now, trap is ruining hip-hop and is ruining top 40 radio as a whole.  It's had a good run, having been the dominant sound in hip-hop since 2013.  However, I think its time to go.  I find all of today's trap songs sound so similar its hard to differentiate between them.

Subject: Re: When will trap finally die?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/06/17 at 12:00 am

The worst is when I'm on a lunch break, eating outside or something, and a bunch of stupid teenagers walk by with speakers hooked up to their phones playing that awful f*cking drum sound over the drunk rambles and mumbles that's supposed to be "rap". I hope it dies soon because it seriously f*cking sucks.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 08/06/17 at 12:14 am

I heard trap today too, in the parking lot of my neighborhood Whole Foods (out of all places). Being my friendly self, I nodded at one of the occupants of the vehicle and he nodded back.
I don't particularly care for trap, but it doesn't irk me the same way that 2010s teen pop does. This wave of teen pop is almost a goner, good riddance. If trap manages to last another year or two, good for its fanbase but I doubt it'll endure past 2019. 

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/06/17 at 12:18 am

It'd be fine if kids didn't blast it in otherwise quiet areas. This is what happens when parents neglect their children, they're forced to blast trap for attention!

Written By: Slim95 on 08/06/17 at 3:08 pm

Probably 2019

Written By: #Infinity on 08/06/17 at 4:28 pm

Sadly, we're still stuck in an era in which even the most repetitive, mundane trap songs are considered intelligent works of art. I have a feeling it'll be quite awhile before trap influences fade away to make room for hip hop that's actually hip and actually hops.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/06/17 at 5:50 pm

I hope before the year is over. The trap sub-genre has run its course which is why I took a break from hip-hop (except the non-trap ones) for some time.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/06/17 at 9:17 pm

Sadly, we're still stuck in an era in which even the most repetitive, mundane trap songs are considered intelligent works of art. I have a feeling it'll be quite awhile before trap influences fade away to make room for hip hop that's actually hip and actually hops.

I am just ready for less songs like this.

2DBBb3_p8eg

And more like this.

NLZRYQMLDW4

The saturation of the worst types of trap has reached absurd levels this summer.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/06/17 at 9:56 pm

2DBBb3_p8eg

And more like this.

NLZRYQMLDW4

The saturation of the worst types of trap has reached absurd levels this summer.

When you put Kendrick Lamar DNA here I was like WTF are you joking but then I saw your post "And more like this." and I was like okay lol you're keeping it real!  ;D  8)

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/06/17 at 10:16 pm

I'm ready for trap to die off, to. I want to see what Hip Hop will do once trap run its course. I wouldn't consider Kendrick trap though. He's the go to when you want to get away from it.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/17 at 12:07 am

2DBBb3_p8eg

And more like this.

NLZRYQMLDW4

I don't like both songs. I think I'm the only one in the planet who thinks Lamar is overrated.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/07/17 at 12:14 am

aJkEcpCxehU

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/07/17 at 12:15 am

I think I'm the only one in the planet who thinks Lamar is overrated.

That's how I feel about hip-hop music in general.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/17 at 12:33 am

aJkEcpCxehU

I think we are experiencing the peak of trap music now as we speak.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/07/17 at 12:45 am

You think that an entire genre of music is overrated? ???

Written By: Brian06 on 08/07/17 at 12:53 am

I have mixed feelings about rap but generally I like it. Some of it does really annoy me though. It depends on my mood too, sometimes I get in rap moods, other times I can't stand it.  :-\\

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/17 at 12:58 am

I don't like both songs. I think I'm the only one in the planet who thinks Lamar is overrated.
What are you drinking? ::) Lamar is underrated. He has own thing going. He's not riding on everyone's success like some of these today's rappers.

Even early hip hop?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/07/17 at 2:03 am

You think that an entire genre of music is overrated? ???

Yep. Rap music just doesn't appeal to me whatsoever, to be honest. I personally don't think rap music requires a lot of talent, like pop, rock and other genres of music do. As long as you can rhyme and say words quickly, you're a rap artist. Anyone can do that. Rap music wouldn't be so bad if most songs didn't use the same beat/tune throughout the entire song. It's too repetitive. That's why I really like Linkin Park, even though a lot of their songs contain rapping in the lyrics. The actual sound/beat isn't repetitive.

Also, a lot of rap songs just have stupid lyrics in general. I don't understand why so many people like it, to be honest. I can understand why people like pop, rock, country, jazz and other genres of music. Most people will disagree with me and I respect their opinions. However, I personally believe that rap is one of the worst (if not, the worst) genres in music.  8-P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/07/17 at 9:48 am

Yep. Rap music just doesn't appeal to me whatsoever, to be honest. I personally don't think rap music requires a lot of talent, like pop, rock and other genres of music do. As long as you can rhyme and say words quickly, you're a rap artist. Anyone can do that. Rap music wouldn't be so bad if most songs didn't use the same beat/tune throughout the entire song. It's too repetitive. That's why I really like Linkin Park, even though a lot of their songs contain rapping in the lyrics. The actual sound/beat isn't repetitive.

Also, a lot of rap songs just have stupid lyrics in general. I don't understand why so many people like it, to be honest. I can understand why people like pop, rock, country, jazz and other genres of music. Most people will disagree with me and I respect their opinions. However, I personally believe that rap is one of the worst (if not, the worst) genres in music.  8-P

Woah...those are pretty strong words. I get that it's your opinion but still rap, as a whole, is not overrated.

I don't like country music, in general, but I wouldn't call it overrated....it's just not my cup of tea. Rap is just not your cup of tea, that doesn't mean that it's overrated.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/07/17 at 10:02 am

Woah...those are pretty strong words. I get that it's your opinion but still rap, as a whole, is not overrated.

I don't like country music, in general, but I wouldn't call it overrated....it's just not my cup of tea. Rap is just not your cup of tea, that doesn't mean that it's overrated.

The dislike of Hip Hop comes from the stunners that sadly, over shadows the true potential of the genre. I like how there's a genre that according to some, takes "less talent" because then, that genre you need cleverness to get into to.

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/07/17 at 10:33 am

Bring back real HipHop.
92FCRmggNqQ
q1Et1siZhTk
5oVbT3vYvF4
lSipXuqHt40

Rescue us, Kanye, from this dying art form.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/17 at 3:27 pm

It'd be fine if kids didn't blast it in otherwise quiet areas. This is what happens when parents neglect their children, they're forced to blast trap for attention!

They do that in my neighborhood too and my neighborhood is almost always quiet.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/17 at 3:30 pm

What are you drinking? ::) Lamar is underrated. He has own thing going. He's not riding on everyone's success like some of these today's rappers.

Even early hip hop?

I like early hip hop.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/17 at 6:15 pm

No he is very overrated... Do you know how mant fanboys he has? Always sucking up to him. I can name 10 rappers better than him in the underground...

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/17 at 6:31 pm

No, he is very overrated... Do you know how many fanboys he has? Always sucking up to him. I can name 10 rappers better than him in the underground...
He has a lot, but that doesn't mean he is overrated. KL is one of the best and most real rappers out there today along with some others.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/17 at 6:45 pm

He has a lot, but that doesn't mean he is overrated. KL is one of the best and most real rappers out there today along with some others.

That is absolutely wrong he is not one of the best rappers. I can name so many underground rappers better than him. And he isn't "real". That's part of his image to make him look unique. The label works with him to make him get thid image to his fans. He is still a mainstream rapper with new beats. He is overrated, very much so.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/07/17 at 7:09 pm

I think we are experiencing the peak of trap music now as we speak.

I would agree.

Summer of 2017 has definitely been dominated by terrible, auto-tuned mumbling trying to pass as hip-hop.  I think the video is correct in that trap really has nowhere else to go from here.  This is evidenced by all the awful one-hit wonder trap rappers currently polluting the charts.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/07/17 at 7:12 pm

I would agree.

Summer of 2017 has definitely been dominated by terrible, auto-tuned mumbling trying to pass as hip-hop.  I think the video is correct in that trap really has nowhere else to go from here.  This is evidenced by all the awful one-hit wonder trap rappers currently polluting the charts.

Auto tune is still around?  :o I don't listen to a lot of rap anymore like I used to back in the '00s so I don't know all that much about current rap.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/17 at 7:14 pm

That is absolutely wrong he is not one of the best rappers. I can name so many underground rappers better than him. And he isn't "real". That's part of his image to make him look unique. The label works with him to make him get this image to his fans. He is still a mainstream rapper with new beats. He is overrated, very much so.
If he isn't real, then why has he gone through so much that has personally impacted him? Oh, and KL isn't as mainstream as you think. He has been underground much longer than out of the surface.

I would agree.

Hopefually, trap dies before the year is over. Hip-hop needs an overhaul.

Is auto tune still around?  :o I don't listen to a lot of rap anymore like I used to back in the '00s so I don't know all that much about current rap.
Yeah. Some rappers use it and are horrible at it.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/07/17 at 7:17 pm

Trap music won't die as long as most rap fans and young people (15-29 years olds) in general today continue to like it....which is the case.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/17 at 7:36 pm

If he isn't real, then why has he gone through so much that has personally impacted him? Oh, and KL isn't as mainstream as you think. He has been underground much longer than out of the surface.

Well that's your opinion. My opinion is that he is overrated and I do not like him. As I said I realize I am in the minority (further proving my overrated argument) as he has so many fans who treat him like a God. But Hopsin, Lecrae, Tech N9ne are all better than him as rappers. Not saying he is trash, I just think he is way too overhyped. Being a decent rapper in the mainstream isn't anything special. I listen to the underground stuff that is vastly superior.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/07/17 at 7:38 pm

I like some songs on Kendrick Lamar's DAMN album. However, I don't think that he is some "Hip-Hop God" or something.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/17 at 7:39 pm

Hopefually, trap dies before the year is over. Hip-hop needs an overhaul.

I do not think trap will be even close to dying before the year is over. It will probably pass its peak though by next year. It may not be completely dead until next decade.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/07/17 at 7:40 pm

I do not think trap will be even close to dying before the year is over. It will probably pass its peak though by next year. It may not be completely dead until next decade.

I agree with this.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/17 at 7:43 pm

Well, that's your opinion. My opinion is that he is overrated and I do not like him. As I said I realize I am in the minority (further proving my overrated argument) as he has so many fans who treat him like a God. But Hopsin, Lecrae, Tech N9ne are all better than him as rappers. Not saying he is trash, I just think he is way too overhyped. Being a decent rapper in the mainstream isn't anything special. I listen to the underground stuff that is vastly superior.
Well, he just started being overhyped. There was a thread made recently asking he will save hip-hop, and some said yes. Oh, and there are other artists out there who are being treated like gods more than KL.

Well, it has overstayed its welcome. It's literally everywhere compared to snap rap a decade ago.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/07/17 at 11:24 pm

I wish MCA was still alive so the Beastie Boys could come out with Liscenced to Ill 2 and save rap music.

Written By: Howard on 08/08/17 at 7:07 am

Auto tune is still around?  :o I don't listen to a lot of rap anymore like I used to back in the '00s so I don't know all that much about current rap.

I listen to the early, early days of hip hop when hip hop was all about rhyming and just having fun.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/08/17 at 7:07 pm

The Kendrick Lamar praise most likely comes from his lyrics actually being a believable echo from real Hip Hop. He's the next best thing that made it to mainstream status, trying to make a difference from mumble rappers. That's how he gets his attention.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/08/17 at 8:35 pm

What do you guys think is worse: snap or trap?  ;D

Rap subgenre names are pretty funny tbh:

Examples: crunk, snap, trap

What's next?  ;D

Written By: bchris02 on 08/08/17 at 10:56 pm

I think trap has been worse especially since 2016.  Beats slowed down and every background track seems to have the same synth piano.  Lyrics are pretty much autotuned mumbling.  It's hard to tell one song from another.  Does anybody else agree or am I just getting old?

2017 has definitely been the worst year for music since 2013.  It's also been the worst year for my personal life since 2013 so there might be some correlation there.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/08/17 at 11:10 pm

The Kendrick Lamar praise most likely comes from his lyrics actually being a believable echo from real Hip Hop. He's the next best thing that made it to mainstream status, trying to make a difference from mumble rappers. That's how he gets his attention.

It doesn't matter to me. I don't listen to him nor will I ever. I still listen to Hopsin and other underground rappers.

Speaking of Hopsin, THIS is what mainstream rap sounds like today.  ;D

IiNNBc557OQ

Written By: bchris02 on 08/08/17 at 11:14 pm

It doesn't matter to me. I don't listen to him nor will I ever. I still listen to Hopsin and other underground rappers.

Speaking of Hopsin, THIS is what mainstream rap sounds like today.  ;D

IiNNBc557OQ

Every song sounds the same.  It's hard to distinguish them.  Same beat, same auto-tuned mumbling.  This summer has been the absolute worst for it.  It seems like there's almost nothing else on the radio.

Here was the first song I remember that had today's sound.  It came out in 2011.  It was a new, fresh sound back then and there was enough diversity I kind of liked it.  Problem today is its hard to tell the songs apart.

CNdySYdVe0E

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/10/17 at 9:58 am

I agree. KL is definitely the next big thing. Hopefully, this type music makes a comeback and blows trap away.

I think trap has been worse especially since 2016.  Beats slowed down and every background track seems to have the same synth piano.  Lyrics are pretty much-autotuned mumbling.  It's hard to tell one song from another.  Does anybody else agree or am I just getting old?

2017 has definitely been the worst year for music since 2013.  It's also been the worst year for my personal life since 2013 so there might be some correlation there.
No, I agree. I hear the same thing in most of these songs. I know it was supposed to be funny when it started, but now it's horribly cringe-worthy. That's why for today hip-hop, I only listen to KL, J-Cole, Logic, G-Eazy, Russ, Lupe Fiasco etc.

Rap sub genre names are pretty funny tbh:

What's next?  ;D
I honestly say trap because not only can one not hear what the artist is saying, it seems like he or she can't dance to it either. AT least with snap, everyone danced to those songs.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/10/17 at 10:23 am

I honestly say trap because not only can one not hear what the artist is saying, it seems like he or she can't dance to it either. AT least with snap, everyone danced to those songs.

I agree with this completely.  Today's trap compared to snap is like comparing today's EDM pop with electropop.  Snap was much more catchy, danceable, and overall fun to listen to even if from an artistic standpoint it was terrible music.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/10/17 at 12:23 pm

I agree with this completely.  Today's trap compared to snap is like comparing today's EDM pop with electropop.  Snap was much more catchy, danceable, and overall fun to listen to even if from an artistic standpoint it was terrible music.
Oh, it sure was. In fact, I was even listening to that music some time ago, and it was amazing to hear despite how terrible it was. ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/11/17 at 12:22 am

Rap subgenre names are pretty funny tbh:

What's next?  ;D

Crap. :P

Check for new replies or respond here...