inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you miss how the Internet was before utter garbage like Reddit took over?

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/06/17 at 1:22 am

Do you miss the days when the Internet was less "centralized", when there were more niche websites and forums? When the most popular sites weren't vile trash like Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Buzzfeed, filled with narcissists, people obsessed with politics and hateful subdivision, 24534345346354 thinkpieces about "Millennials" written by sniveling smug business suits, and unfunny jokes/cliques, i.e. Harambe, dabbing, Fidget spinners, and "What are thooosee"?

Subject: Re: Do you miss how the Internet was before utter garbage like Reddit took over?

Written By: #Infinity on 08/06/17 at 1:39 am

Certainly I do. The Internet was absolutely wonderful throughout the 2000s, then everything became social media and smartphone-oriented, and the plentiful intellectualism started to fade away.

Subject: Re: Do you miss how the Internet was before utter garbage like Reddit took over?

Written By: wixness on 08/06/17 at 1:59 am

I miss it when copyright infringement wasn't a big issue since the internet wasn't as impactful back then.

Now everything online feels too much like broadcast media because of it.

As for the politics, it goes to show that we still haven't moved on from last millennium, sadly.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/06/17 at 2:16 am

I miss it when copyright infringement wasn't a big issue since the internet wasn't as impactful back then.

Now everything online feels too much like broadcast media because of it.

Copyright infringement has been a prominently controversial issue since the Internet first became popular. YouTube has had countless videos taken off even back when it first launched, while one of the defining news stories of the Y2K era was the Napster lawsuit.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/06/17 at 6:45 am

Indeed. I miss the older, simpler times when the Yahoo! chat rooms ruled, and when most of what was on YouTube was video of people lighting farts on fire.

Now you have all this stupid stuff on Reddit and Snapchat.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/06/17 at 6:55 am

I miss how the internet was before everything took over. ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/06/17 at 6:55 am

Indeed. I miss the older, simpler times when the Yahoo! chat rooms ruled, and when most of what was on YouTube was video of people lighting farts on fire.

Now you have all this stupid stuff on Reddit and Snapchat.  ::)

and this was back during the early to mid 90's.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/06/17 at 6:22 pm

My favorite Internet era was the Classic Era (2001-2006), but I'd even take the Indie Media Era (2007-2013) over the "post-ironic", overly-political crap of 2014+.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/06/17 at 9:14 pm

My favorite Internet era was the Classic Era (2001-2006), but I'd even take the Indie Media Era (2007-2013) over the "post-ironic", overly-political crap of 2014+.

So many people are online ruining things that the next way to escape would be to unplug and go to public places that are in the decline.

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/07/17 at 8:38 am

Do you miss the days when the Internet was less "centralized", when there were more niche websites and forums? When the most popular sites weren't vile trash like Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Buzzfeed, filled with narcissists, people obsessed with politics and hateful subdivision, 24534345346354 thinkpieces about "Millennials" written by sniveling smug business suits, and unfunny jokes/cliques, i.e. Harambe, dabbing, Fidget spinners, and "What are thooosee"?

Facebook is crap, true, but what's wrong with Reddit? I haven't joined personally, I do read the subs and the topics and find it quite entertaining. Just avoid the bad groups and it's fine. Same with Quora topics. It's fun to waste time reading them.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/07/17 at 9:49 am

what's wrong with Reddit? I haven't joined personally, I do read the subs and the topics and find it quite entertaining. Just avoid the bad groups and it's fine. Same with Quora topics. It's fun to waste time reading them.

I agree with this. The subs of Reddit I participate in have stable communities, its unbelievable. Its actually YouTube that's more of a joke now. Almost all subjects of uploads I watch, the comments are the complete opposites of the video. When its nostalgia, then there's a difference.

Really, I'm expecting YouTube to be used for just nostalgic purposes at some point.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 08/07/17 at 10:03 am

Yes I miss it. What you mention is what I hate about this decade the most honestly. Obnoxious unfunny internet culture. I like the 2010's in general but that's the one part I hate!

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/07/17 at 10:28 am

Yeah. I miss the era before excessive corporate handling of social media sites. There was a time in the 90's and 00's when one could just skim over youtube, aim, yahoo, msm, myspace and just see other people like you posting content. Now it's a balancing act between finding YouTubers who aren't shills and info sites that aren't just trying to generate clicks.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/07/17 at 10:35 am

Facebook is crap, true, but what's wrong with Reddit? I haven't joined personally, I do read the subs and the topics and find it quite entertaining. Just avoid the bad groups and it's fine. Same with Quora topics. It's fun to waste time reading them.

I agree with the part in bold.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/07/17 at 10:44 am

I agree with this. The subs of Reddit I participate in have stable communities, its unbelievable. Its actually YouTube that's more of a joke now. Almost all subjects of uploads I watch, the comments are the complete opposites of the video. When its nostalgia, then there's a difference.

Really, I'm expecting YouTube to be used for just nostalgic purposes at some point.

I totally agree with this.

A few weeks ago, I was watching the trailer for Spider-Man: Homecoming and one comment said that the movie was "Race mixing propaganda". I mean...what the hell? >:(

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/07/17 at 10:50 am

Even though, I didn't get to experience it first hand...I miss the Web from 1994-2000.

The uniqueness, the wackiness, the coolness and the novelty of the Web of that time is something that I wish that I got to experience....minus the slow waiting time :P.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 08/07/17 at 11:40 am

100% Yes!!

The 2000s were legitimately the golden age of the Internet, no doubt. Exceptional people could just enjoy themselves on several websites that's dominated with other people like them. Especially on Youtube. Now, it's just full of emojis, terrible memes, and people spamming extremist propaganda on innocent Youtube videos. It's really sad.

I also miss of when stuff like Shockwave Games and Realplayer were popular. I would go and download some of their games, even though they were only free trials.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/17 at 3:23 pm

So many people are online ruining things that the next way to escape would be to unplug and go to public places that are in the decline.

Which public places? ???

Written By: Howard on 08/07/17 at 3:25 pm

Even though, I didn't get to experience it first hand...I miss the Web from 1994-2000.

The uniqueness, the wackiness, the coolness and the novelty of the Web of that time is something that I wish that I got to experience....minus the slow waiting time :P.

I miss that time too.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/07/17 at 3:43 pm

I miss that time too.

Cool 8).

Written By: 80sfan on 08/07/17 at 3:50 pm

The first time I laid my hands on 'the internet' was probably late 1997/early 1998. It was in 3rd grade.

Then we got internet, in a laptop, in 2000. But I didn't use internet regularly until 2001. http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/Smileys/default/HWaQd6Z.png

So I wasn't an official internet user until like 2001. I guess you could count 1997, but whatever!

Written By: Brian06 on 08/07/17 at 3:57 pm

Yeah the internet seems like it's full of jerks nowadays. A lot of far right trolls promoting extremist propaganda all over the place. I wonder who some of these people are in real life. Some likely are actually based in Russia and part of Putin's plan to take this country and the rest of the west down, others are probably big losers in real life that wouldn't dare say any of the things they say online to people in person.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/17 at 4:12 pm

Cool 8).

back when web sites were simple.

Written By: exodus08 on 08/07/17 at 4:21 pm

Yeah the internet seems like it's full of jerks nowadays. A lot of far right trolls promoting extremist propaganda all over the place. I wonder who some of these people are in real life. Some likely are actually based in Russia and part of Putin's plan to take this country and the rest of the west down, others are probably big losers in real life that wouldn't dare say any of the things they say online to people in person.

I don't even remember if there were even far right trolls in the 2000s Message boards and YouTube comment section.  ???

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/07/17 at 4:22 pm

back when web sites were simple.

Yep.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/07/17 at 4:23 pm

Basically inevitable. The anonymity gives people, even including me, a lot of ammo to type and say anything we want.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/07/17 at 4:24 pm

Most people who are far right and alt right don't say their views in public...because they know that they'll get their butts kicked!

Written By: exodus08 on 08/07/17 at 4:28 pm

I don't even remember if there were even far right trolls in the 2000s Message boards and YouTube comment section.  ???

Not saying there weren't far right trolls just not bad like nowadays.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/07/17 at 4:40 pm

In order to be time traveled to the Web of the past, y'all can use this site: http://oldweb.today/

It can transport you back to certain websites and show you how they were in a certain year on a certain date. It goes all the way back to 1991 :D.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/07/17 at 4:44 pm

Most people who are far right and alt right don't say their views in public...because they know that they'll get their butts kicked!

And what's awkward about it, you probably walk pass them every day, like in Wal-Mart. Just people with straight split personalities. This is why when I go out, I don't think of the internet.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/07/17 at 4:59 pm

Not saying there weren't far right trolls just not bad like nowadays.

There were politically incorrect and offensive sh*t posters but they weren't sincerely political like they are now.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/07/17 at 5:32 pm

The extreme hatred of John McCain displayed in this free republic thread is really disgusting, along with the first post also being a dumb racist crack at Obama:

https://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-gop/3574787/posts

"Did he forget he lost to a man with an Arabic name only 7 years after 9/11? And that he'll be dead long before 2020 rolls around? I doubt that he'll have a vote in Hell.
1 posted on 8/5/2017, 2:40:29 PM by 2ndDivisionVet"

That's the kind of people that are Trump's base. This is today's Republican Party.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/07/17 at 5:58 pm

The extreme hatred of John McCain displayed in this free republic thread is really disgusting, along with the first post also being a dumb racist crack at Obama:

https://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-gop/3574787/posts

"Did he forget he lost to a man with an Arabic name only 7 years after 9/11? And that he'll be dead long before 2020 rolls around? I doubt that he'll have a vote in Hell.
1 posted on 8/5/2017, 2:40:29 PM by 2ndDivisionVet"

That's the kind of people that are Trump's base. This is today's Republican Party.

Now, if you say that then you will be ridiculed as an "intolerant liberal" and they'll say, "Just because we support Trump and hate Obummer doesn't make us racist" ::)

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/17 at 5:59 pm

I like Reddit.  :( Why do you think it's garbage? I don't care for BuzzFeed or Instagram though.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/07/17 at 6:14 pm

Now, if you say that then you will be ridiculed as an "intolerant liberal" and they'll say, "Just because we support Trump and hate Obummer doesn't make us racist" ::)

Apparently the act of being a dark skinned man with an "Arabic name" automatically turns Obama into a "radical Islamic terrorist".  ::) I say SO WHAT if he has an "Arabic name", why does that matter? I mean disliking the man for his politics is one thing, but why should his name matter? Unless you're an ignorant racist of course.  ::)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/07/17 at 6:28 pm

Apparently the act of being a dark skinned man with an "Arabic name" automatically turns Obama into a "radical Islamic terrorist".  ::) I say SO WHAT if he has an "Arabic name", why does that matter? I mean disliking the man for his politics is one thing, but why should his name matter? Unless you're an ignorant racist of course.  ::)

There are literally Trump supporters who have called Obama a "Kenyan Muslim terrorist", "garbage from the sewers of Chicago", "a sh*tstain", "monkey" but yet when we call Trump "Agent Orange", "Orange/Tangerine Man", "Cheetolini", "Orangeturd"...they get upset and say that we're being "racist towards Trump". You can't make this up folks....::)

Written By: Howard on 08/08/17 at 7:15 am

Basically inevitable. The anonymity gives people, even including me, a lot of ammo to type and say anything we want.

and that what pisses people off these days. ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/08/17 at 7:22 am

In order to be time traveled to the Web of the past, y'all can use this site: http://oldweb.today/

It can transport you back to certain websites and show you how they were in a certain year on a certain date. It goes all the way back to 1991 :D.

Now that is awesome, Thank you. O0

I typed in iHeartradio in Netscape in the year 2000 and I got a java script error  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/08/17 at 8:48 am

Now that is awesome, Thank you. O0

You're welcome :).

I typed in iHeartradio in Netscape in the year 2000 and I got a java script error  ;D

Nice ;D.

Written By: Howard on 08/08/17 at 2:51 pm

You're welcome :).
Nice ;D.

and iHeartradio came about 8 years later.

Written By: 2001 on 08/08/17 at 4:45 pm

I remember there were a lot of d!ckheads, but I don't remember many Nazis.

That was back when the downvote button did something.  ;D

I dislike Reddit but I wouldn't say it ruined the Internet. Mostly I hate it because lame jokes and dumb memes get upvoted a lot even on serious topics.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/09/17 at 2:40 pm

Yeah, I've started to miss late '90s Web quite a bit recently, too. Maybe it's only nostalgia, since that was the era when I first went online, but there was something magical about it back then.

Maybe novelty could be the right word to use here. Back then, the Web was something of a novelty to us because it was so new. A quick story, back around early 2000, just after we first got online access, I remember going online to WCW.com to see the results of the Pay-Per-View that had taken place the previous day and being blow away by the simple fact that I could do it. That might seem quaint now, but before we got a computer, I had to wait all the way until Monday Nitro to find out what happened at the Pay-Per-View because my parents would never let me order them. You kind of take small things like that for granted now, but they were awesome to be able to do around 1999 and 2000.

Another example, when DBZ was popular around that same time I remember looking up an episode guide on Toonami.com to see what episodes I hadn't seen yet, and thinking that was awesome, too. Might not have been much today, but that was something else you couldn't do back during the pre Web days.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/09/17 at 3:08 pm

Yeah, I've started to miss late '90s Web quite a bit recently, too. Maybe it's only nostalgia, since that was the era when I first went online, but there was something magical about it back then.

Maybe novelty could be the right word to use here. Back then, the Web was something of a novelty to us because it was so new. A quick story, back around early 2000, just after we first got online access, I remember going online to WCW.com to see the results of the Pay-Per-View that had taken place the previous day and being blow away by the simple fact that I could do it. That might seem quaint now, but before we got a computer, I had to wait all the way until Monday Nitro to find out what happened at the Pay-Per-View because my parents would never let me order them. You kind of take small things like that for granted now, but they were awesome to be able to do around 1999 and 2000.

Another example, when DBZ was popular around that same time I remember looking up an episode guide on Toonami.com to see what episodes I hadn't seen yet, and thinking that was awesome, too. Might not have been much today, but that was something else you couldn't do back during the pre Web days.

Yeah, you're totally correct.

Written By: Howard on 08/09/17 at 3:36 pm

Now you can never miss a WWE or TNA PPV event by going to watchwrestling.nl to watch all WWE and TNA events.

Check for new replies or respond here...