inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Wait for the 2020 election

Written By: HeyJealousy on 08/06/17 at 5:55 pm

IMO, this should define how our pop culture/musical trends will change.
I do predict an administration change (from either party) and as the election closes in, you will see subtle changes in Top 40 format.

Subject: Re: Wait for the 2020 election

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/06/17 at 6:13 pm

I actually say next year because that's when the midterms are happening, and the pop culture towards the end of a decade peaks.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/06/17 at 6:57 pm

Things will probably change before 2020. I predict 2019 or late 2018 is when there will be a huge pop cultural shift. And this shift will show us what culture is in store for the '20s. It will be the biggest cultural transformation since 2008.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/06/17 at 9:14 pm

Things will probably change before 2020. I predict 2019 or late 2018 is when there will be a huge pop cultural shift. And this shift will show us what culture is in store for the '20s. It will be the biggest cultural transformation since 2008.

We will see.  I thought it would happen in 2017 but this has been the "summer of trap" and has basically been mid '10s in every aspect except for the politics.

I think 2017 is actually worse for music than 2013 and 2014 were.  However, it might just be me.  My personal life has taken a drastic turn for the worse this year.  Things in my life are back to what they were in 2013 and 2014; severe crippling depression and feelings of hopelessness.  That's probably why I hate this year's music so much.  A lot of people love 2013 but I hated it because of how my personal life was at the time.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/06/17 at 10:11 pm

Pop culture is going to stay the same for a long time. We're currently in a state of semi-permanent monoculture.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/06/17 at 10:34 pm

Pop culture is going to stay the same for a long time. We're currently in a state of semi-permanent monoculture.

When you say 'for a long time'. Are you talking years? Decades? Centuries?  ???

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/06/17 at 11:15 pm

When you say 'for a long time'. Are you talking years? Decades? Centuries?  ???

Years. At least another 3-5 years. Maybe more.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/06/17 at 11:16 pm

Maybe things will change around 2018. 2008 saw a shift in 2000s culture.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/06/17 at 11:19 pm

Maybe things will change around 2018. 2008 saw a shift in 2000s culture.

I hope but I doubt that will happen.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/06/17 at 11:28 pm

I hope but I doubt that will happen.

Back in 2007 I thought crunk would never end and the '00s would last forever, then 2009 rolls around and things seem like they're changing and 2007 starts seeming a bit old. The truth is you never know what's going to happen next.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/06/17 at 11:32 pm

Back in 2007 I thought crunk would never end and the '00s would last forever, then 2009 rolls around and things seem like they're changing and 2007 starts seeming a bit old. The truth is you never know what's going to happen next.

Difference is that the world was less digitized in the late 2000s. We are in an unparalleled time in human history. People, in general, will accept trap music...because that's what's on the radio and basically everywhere.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/06/17 at 11:39 pm

Difference is that the world was less digitized in the late 2000s. We are in an unparalleled time in human history. People, in general, will accept trap music...because that's what's on the radio and basically everywhere.

People in 2005 thought we were at the height of technology back then. Look at the archives on here. iPod was amazing technology, flip phone with crap camera was mind blowing.  ;D Actually even in the late '90s I thought we were at the height of technology with  56k modems and 3d gaming. I remember upgrading my desktop to a 56k modem thinking that was some big deal, seriously. LOL. Don't ever think the present is special, because it's not.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/06/17 at 11:44 pm

Years. At least another 3-5 years. Maybe more.

5 years will be 2022!  :o  :D

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/17 at 12:12 am

We will see.  I thought it would happen in 2017 but this has been the "summer of trap" and has basically been mid '10s in every aspect except for the politics.

I don't think it's mid 2010s anymore as the culture is different enough. 2017 is already different culturally from 2015. However it is not a huge shift and big change in culture. While the culture is different than the mid 2010s, there are also a lot of similaties as well but I think the similarities and the core '10s will end by the end of 2018 or 2019.

I think 2017 is actually worse for music than 2013 and 2014 were.  However, it might just be me.  My personal life has taken a drastic turn for the worse this year.  Things in my life are back to what they were in 2013 and 2014; severe crippling depression and feelings of hopelessness.  That's probably why I hate this year's music so much.  A lot of people love 2013 but I hated it because of how my personal life was at the time.

I'm sorry about that.  :( I've been through that as well a while back.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/07/17 at 12:43 am

People in 2005 thought we were at the height of technology back then. Look at the archives on here. iPod was amazing technology, flip phone with crap camera was mind blowing.  ;D Actually even in the late '90s I thought we were at the height of technology with  56k modems and 3d gaming. I remember upgrading my desktop to a 56k modem thinking that was some big deal, seriously. LOL. Don't ever think the present is special, because it's not.

I'm not talking about the "height of technology" or whether we're at that point. However, the world is just different today. It will take much longer for the pop culture of today to go away than other previous decades.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/07/17 at 12:58 am

I'm not talking about the "height of technology" or whether we're at that point. However, the world is just different today. It will take much longer for the pop culture of today to go away than other previous decades.

Eh...we'll see about that. I was having a blast 2008-2012 and it seemed like it was gonna be like that for the next decade and sh*t changed pretty fast. Maybe I won't like the next era but I can't imagine things staying this way for more than 2 years.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/17 at 3:09 am

I disagree. I think it will actually change more rapidly because as the years go on, progress and new technology get created faster. Of course it seems at the moment not much is changing but in 20 years from now we will be in a totally different world and everything will be very futuristic and we will easily adapt to that as we have in the past. The only thing I don't see changing much is fashion. It seems like fashion was a bigger deal in the 20th century but now you can wear something from the mid 2000s and get away with it.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/07/17 at 9:50 am

Eh...we'll see about that. I was having a blast 2008-2012 and it seemed like it was gonna be like that for the next decade and sh*t changed pretty fast. Maybe I won't like the next era but I can't imagine things staying this way for more than 2 years.

OK.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/07/17 at 9:53 am

I disagree. I think it will actually change more rapidly because as the years go on, progress and new technology get created faster. Of course it seems at the moment not much is changing but in 20 years from now we will be in a totally different world and everything will be very futuristic and we will easily adapt to that as we have in the past. The only thing I don't see changing much is fashion. It seems like fashion was a bigger deal in the 20th century but now you can wear something from the mid 2000s and get away with it.

If society fulfills your fantasy and becomes "very futuristic" in the next 20 years...then that will be the opposite of what you hope or expect. Things will become less unique and more monoculturistic.

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/07/17 at 10:39 am

It seems like fashion was a bigger deal in the 20th century but now you can wear something from the mid 2000s and get away with it.

Never truer. I just came back from Caribana and I remember seeing atleast 3 decades of clothing styles among the teens alone.

Written By: John Titor on 08/07/17 at 11:50 am

I am almost sure 2017 is the 2007 of the 2010's.
In 2007 there was SLOWWWWWW change, starting with the first few months of the year, same thing with 2017.

2018 everything will come full circle like 2008 did.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 08/07/17 at 1:40 pm

In 2007 there was SLOWWWWWW change, starting with the first few months of the year, same thing with 2017.

So, does this mean electropop is coming back after all?

Written By: John Titor on 08/07/17 at 1:44 pm

So, does this mean electropop is coming back after all?

prob not electropop, maybe pop punk and late 90s/early 2000s
max martin sounding songs.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/17 at 6:18 pm

I agree

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/17 at 6:21 pm

If society fulfills your fantasy and becomes "very futuristic" in the next 20 years...then that will be the opposite of what you hope or expect. Things will become less unique and more monoculturistic.

No that doesn't mean things won't be unique. Although I don't care about how unique it is. You can easily incorporate new technology and make it unique. Every year new technology gets developed and it will make life more efficient just as the internet has made life more efficient now. Change is only going faster, not slower. And that's a good thing.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/07/17 at 6:24 pm

No that doesn't mean things won't be unique. Although I don't care about how unique it is. You can easily incorporate new technology and make it unique. Every year new technology gets developed and it will make life more efficient just as the internet has made life more efficient now. Change is only going faster, not slower. And that's a good thing.

Yeah...OK. Believe that if you want to, lol.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/17 at 6:41 pm

Yeah...OK. Believe that if you want to, lol.

Well it is a fact actually. Technology progressed the most in the 20th century. The TV was a huge invention that changed everything. Are you saying the decades in the 20th century weren't unique?  ??? I'm gonna say it again, as I learned and wrote a 12 page report about in university, technology is neutral. Society dictates where technology goes, not the other way around. This has been proven by several journal articles and experts. I can find the sources if you want? Technology is not your enemy. It is a tool that could be positive and useful and humans decide how to use it.

So can you please stop thinking it's my opinion when it is a fact? Higher amount of technology will solve many of the world's problems and they do not make things worse... Maybe when you get older and go to university you will learn more about it. Maybe then you will learn not to hate technology as it is neutral and can be used towards good.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/07/17 at 7:03 pm

Well it is a fact actually. Technology progressed the most in the 20th century. The TV was a huge invention that changed everything. Are you saying the decades in the 20th century weren't unique?  ??? I'm gonna say it again, as I learned and wrote a 12 page report about in university, technology is neutral. Society dictates where technology goes, not the other way around. This has been proven by several journal articles and experts. I can find the sources if you want? Technology is not your enemy. It is a tool that could be positive and useful and humans decide how to use it.

So can you please stop thinking it's my opinion when it is a fact? Again if you are interested I will have to look through my report and give you the sources. Higher amount of technology will solve many of the world's problems and they do not make things worse... Maybe when you get older and go to university you will learn more about it. Maybe then you will learn not to hate technology as it is neutral and can be used towards good.

Woah calm down there bud. First of all...what are you even talking about? Second of all, I don't hate technology. Also, not everyone is going to be a technophile like you.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/17 at 7:07 pm

Woah calm down there bud. First of all...what are you even talking about? Second of all, I don't hate technology. Also, not everyone is going to be a technophile like you.

Well it's not about being a technophile it is about making a better world. The technology that is being produced will help fight many issues in the world such as climate change. It can eventually help food shortage as well and many diseases. I don't understand why you are so skeptical about it if it will do the world a lot of good.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/07/17 at 7:15 pm

Well it's not about being a technophile it is about making a better world. The technology that is being produced will help fight many issues in the world such as climate change. It can eventually help food shortage as well and many diseases. I don't understand why you are so skeptical about it if it will do the world a lot of good.

I'm more skeptical about the ways we use things (or will use) such as robots and artificial intelligence but not technology in general.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/07/17 at 8:02 pm

I'm more skeptical about the ways we use things (or will use) such as robots and artificial intelligence but not technology in general.

Well when those things happen, you can always have the choice to not participate in it. If you were forced to use those things I would agree that would suck. I would never for example voluntarily want a chip put inside my brain. But you can always say no to getting that discounted robot and not use those technologies, and other people who like those things can use it as they please. The freedom to choose is very important.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/07/17 at 8:15 pm

Well when those things happen, you can always have the choice to not participate in it. If you were forced to use those things I would agree that would suck. I would never for example voluntarily want a chip put inside my brain. But you can always say no to getting that discounted robot and not use those technologies, and other people who like those things can use it as they please. The freedom to choose is very important.

That is true.

Check for new replies or respond here...