inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why can't 2010s dance music be as good as this?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/08/17 at 9:59 pm

fhyhP_5VfKM
This is real music

Subject: Re: Why can't 2010s dance music be as good as this?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/08/17 at 10:09 pm

2010 and 2011 had good dance music. Not so much now.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/08/17 at 10:50 pm

Yeah everything went to garbage around 2013.  If that wasn't bad enough, this year things have become even worse.  I really miss the early '10s.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/08/17 at 11:34 pm

Yeah everything went to garbage around 2013.  If that wasn't bad enough, this year things have become even worse.  I really miss the early '10s.

I don't know why the 2010s started with so many good songs then turned to garbage in 2013. What made the creativity stop?

Written By: wixness on 08/08/17 at 11:52 pm

I don't know why the 2010s started with so many good songs then turned to garbage in 2013. What made the creativity stop?

Aside from the usual deal with the suits, it's the hipster wave, where people are trying to seem classy and grown up.

I was a bit triggered by the title of the thread, thought you'd link that bland and annoying ass song.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/09/17 at 12:12 am

Aside from the usual deal with the suits, it's the hipster wave, where people are trying to seem classy and grown up.

I was a bit triggered by the title of the thread, thought you'd link that bland and annoying ass song.

I hate how edgy is an insult now. In the 90s it was a compliment.

Written By: wixness on 08/09/17 at 1:47 am

I hate how edgy is an insult now. In the 90s it was a compliment.

It makes me believe that the religious fundamentalist nutjobs won this decade

Written By: 2001 on 08/09/17 at 2:52 pm

2010s is a lot more dance-y than the 2000s. That's one thing I like about it. I remember the 2000s was just rock and rap, and the few danceable R&B songs there were would often make you want to rip your ears out (My Humps...).

Written By: violet_shy on 08/09/17 at 2:59 pm

I really feel that dance music was at it's best in the 90s.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/09/17 at 4:18 pm

It makes me believe that the religious fundamentalist nutjobs won this decade

They did.  That's why we have Trump.  The legalization of gay marriage stirred up a hornet's nest.  2017 has actually been one of the worst years of my life.

Written By: exodus08 on 08/09/17 at 4:56 pm

I love 90s eurodance and 00s trance. Early 10s dance was good to.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/09/17 at 6:36 pm

I disagree. It started out the worst. It was really bad when Kesha was on the radio in 2010. That is not good music. But I know music is subjective, I just don't find autotuned dance pop very good. And you had Nicki Minaj and One Direction in 2011 and 2012 as well. Then in 2013 it improved a lot and there were more mature and quality songs on the radio throughout the mid 2010s (not all of it was great of course). Then in 2016 it went downhill again, but not as bad as the early '10s. 2017 is probably the worst year for music after 2010-2012. There just really aren't many redeeming songs that are popular now, we can agree with that.

Written By: wixness on 08/09/17 at 6:43 pm

They did.  That's why we have Trump.  The legalization of gay marriage stirred up a hornet's nest.  2017 has actually been one of the worst years of my life.

To be fair, they should have just let the states decide on it. They took poor advantage of how they're a federation of states.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/09/17 at 6:51 pm

To be fair, they should have just let the states decide on it. They took poor advantage of how they're a federation of states.

I am not sure I agree.  Maybe some kind of compromise could have worked in which states had to provide 100% equal benefits, but didn't have to call it marriage.  However, then you get into the separate but equal issue.

I think the issue was also complicated by the fact that the SJW movement progressed into pushing the transgender bathroom issue almost immediately after gay marriage was legalized.  The Christian Right was already enraged and that just enraged them even more.  There is a fine line between social justice and creating a backlash.  When it comes to religious ideology, compromise is very difficult.

I really do miss the more liberal, tolerant attitude of the earlier decade and if our country survives, I think this will be the last gasp of the Moral Majority (TM).  Unfortunately I think things are going to get worse before they get better.  I fear the evangelicals would rather our society collapse than evolve into a more tolerant society for "sinners" and that's what we are seeing under Trump.

Written By: wixness on 08/09/17 at 7:06 pm

I am not sure I agree.  Maybe some kind of compromise could have worked in which states had to provide 100% equal benefits, but didn't have to call it marriage.  However, then you get into the separate but equal issue.

I think the issue was also complicated by the fact that the SJW movement progressed into pushing the transgender bathroom issue almost immediately after gay marriage was legalized.  The Christian Right was already enraged and that just enraged them even more.  There is a fine line between social justice and creating a backlash.  When it comes to religious ideology, compromise is very difficult.

I really do miss the more liberal, tolerant attitude of the earlier decade and if our country survives, I think this will be the last gasp of the Moral Majority (TM).  Unfortunately I think things are going to get worse before they get better.  I fear the evangelicals would rather our society collapse than evolve into a more tolerant society for "sinners" and that's what we are seeing under Trump.

When emo and rock music died I felt like the moral militarized corporate fundamentalist Christian majority won. They were asking for this, for guys not to look like girls, for clothes to be boring as hell (eg no arm warmers) and for songs to be flatter than the Netherlands' topography.

Even if the decade was becoming more liberal then, the hipsters had tastes similar to these guys. Eating kale (I consider this the hipster vegetable for some reason) and being emo don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/09/17 at 10:22 pm

fhyhP_5VfKM
This is real music

I prefer THIS kind of dance music

y5_oM8rU1jk

Written By: Howard on 08/10/17 at 7:21 am

I really feel that dance music was at it's best in the 90s.

For me it was the 80's.

Written By: Howard on 08/10/17 at 7:24 am

I prefer THIS kind of dance music

y5_oM8rU1jk

my type of music too. :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/10/17 at 10:24 pm

Sing Sing Sing - Benny Goodman

This is real music

lnFhMLtqf2I

Because it is as good as that.

Written By: 2001 on 08/10/17 at 10:30 pm

I think it was the Christian right looking for a new issue to start a culture war on, rather than SJWs pushing it. Transgender people had been using the bathroom of their choice for decades. It was after around 2013/2014 that states/cities started to ban transgender people from going to the bathrooms of their choice. Arizona introduced a bill for it in 2013, and Texas in early 2015, so it started before the Obergefell decision.

Oh yeah... good jazz music...

I couldn't find this one on Youtube (if only you had Spotify!). This one is in French, play "Le spectacle" : https://jeromedupuiscloutier.bandcamp.com/album/le-spectacle

Oh, and this one.

u2uHgIqc5jo

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/11/17 at 12:23 am

I wish 2010's dance music was as good as this:

BnGGkluWtrE

Check for new replies or respond here...