inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were the late '00s/early '10s the peak of human creativity?

Written By: bchris02 on 08/09/17 at 10:55 pm

Think about it.  Back when Lady Gaga was popular as well as Ke$ha and other electropop artists, I think that was when everything was at its peak and its only gone downhill from there.  Movies were still funny and didn't take themselves seriously like they do now.  Glee was the most popular show on Television and shows like the Office were close behind. We were in a liberal live and let live culture.  It was post-Bush but pre-SJW.  I really think that era may have been the peak of culture.  Something happened in 2013 and everything pretty much went off a cliff.

Subject: Re: Were the late '00s/early '10s the peak of human creativity?

Written By: Brian06 on 08/09/17 at 11:02 pm

Yeah it was far better then than now. I don't know about the peak of human creativity, but still I'd take 2010 over 2017 easily. Yeah everything really went downhill after 2012. I mean the economy is better now, but pretty much everything else about today is really horrible.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/09/17 at 11:06 pm

I'm gonna go with the 70s being the creative peak but 2009-2012 were definitely the most fun era of my life so far.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/09/17 at 11:18 pm

LOL, the late 2000s and early 2010s as the peak of human creativity? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Asinine thought.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/09/17 at 11:21 pm

LOL, the late 2000s and early 2010s as the peak of human creativity? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Asinine thought.

Yeah that is going too far. If Kesha is the peak of human creativity, we are doomed beyond redemption.  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/09/17 at 11:22 pm

Yeah that is going too far. If Kesha is the peak of human creativity, we are doomed beyond redemption.  ;D

I mean...we kind of are :P.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/09/17 at 11:23 pm

I mean...we kind of are :P.

Yeah considering where things have sunk at this point with President Donald Trump we are unfortunately.

Written By: 2001 on 08/09/17 at 11:35 pm

Haha Chris, that's a bit hyperbolic but I like where you're going with this. ;D

I've been listening to a lot of late 2000s metal/rock I used to listen back in high school. I'm getting nostalgic.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/09/17 at 11:42 pm

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: #Infinity on 08/09/17 at 11:43 pm

Think about it.  Back when Lady Gaga was popular as well as Ke$ha and other electropop artists, I think that was when everything was at its peak and its only gone downhill from there.  Movies were still funny and didn't take themselves seriously like they do now.  Glee was the most popular show on Television and shows like the Office were close behind. We were in a liberal live and let live culture.  It was post-Bush but pre-SJW.  I really think that era may have been the peak of culture.  Something happened in 2013 and everything pretty much went off a cliff.

You're obsessively nostalgic for the late 2000s and early 2010s, aren't you? Given the present circumstances, though, I'm not surprised.

While I do think popular culture was far superior during my high school years than it is now, I would certainly not call that era the peak of human creativity. It was more just an intensely escapist, albeit relatively vibrant period with some upbeat pop songs, but not exactly a significant disposition towards creativity.

I'd say the only superlatively creative aspect about this period is YouTube, which was at its absolute height at the time and saw all sorts of people making accessible videos that went beyond the boundaries of network programming. Otherwise, music was mostly pretty samey and commercialized, video games were firmly entrenched in the indefinitely long FPS/cutscene era while other genres were declining, and everyday people were just starting to migrate away from productive online endeavors and more towards pointless social media and smartphone junk (remember the FarmVille craze?).

Written By: bchris02 on 08/09/17 at 11:46 pm

You're obsessively nostalgic for the late 2000s and early 2010s, aren't you? Given the present circumstances, though, I'm not surprised.

While I do think popular culture was far superior during my high school years than it is now, I would certainly not call that era the peak of human creativity. It was more just an intensely escapist, albeit relatively vibrant period with some upbeat pop songs, but not exactly a significant disposition towards creativity.

I'd say the only superlatively creative aspect about this period is YouTube, which was at its absolute height at the time and saw all sorts of people making accessible videos that went beyond the boundaries network programming. Otherwise, music was mostly pretty samey and commercialized, video games were firmly entrenched in the indefinitely long FPS/cutscene era while other genres were declining, and everyday people were just starting to migrate away from productive online endeavors and more towards pointless social media and smartphone junk (remember the FarmVille craze?).

Great analysis.  I agree on YouTube and I also liked some of the social media trends back then.  Things like FarmVille, Words With Friends, Angry Birds, etc come to mind.  Having a smartphone was still a novelty and these things were among the benefits.  I don't do much on social media at all these days just because I don't like what it has become.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/09/17 at 11:54 pm

I'd say the only superlatively creative aspect about this period is YouTube, which was at its absolute height at the time and saw all sorts of people making accessible videos that went beyond the boundaries network programming. Otherwise, music was mostly pretty samey and commercialized, video games were firmly entrenched in the indefinitely long FPS/cutscene era while other genres were declining, and everyday people were just starting to migrate away from productive online endeavors and more towards pointless social media and smartphone junk (remember the FarmVille craze?).

Yeah I mean I am too kinda nostalgic for that time, not as much as bchris but still compared to now you bet I miss it. I'm around his age so I get it, being in your early-mid 20s and being newly legal and that's a big deal then and exciting. Now that I'm in my 30s it all kind of just blends in, time just passes gradually and things seemingly get worse and I just go along trying to get by. A lot of the "fun" is all over now and it won't be coming back as we get older. It went down the toilet so fast the last few years so yeah 2010 looks pretty darn good.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/10/17 at 12:00 am

Yeah I mean I am too kinda nostalgic for that time, not as much as bchris but still compared to now you bet I miss it. I'm around his age so I get it, being in your early-mid 20s and being newly legal and that's a big deal then and exciting. Now that I'm in my 30s it all kind of just blends in, time just passes gradually and things seemingly get worse and I just go along trying to get by. A lot of the "fun" is all over now and it won't be coming back as we get older. It went down the toilet so fast the last few years so yeah 2010 looks pretty darn good.

This is depressing but its true.  I've actually had difficulties sleeping lately because of this.  I can't believe how my life has turned out compared to what it was in 2010.  I do think I still have time for some more "fun" but I can't keep waiting too much longer.  Unfortunately when you're stuck in a small town and your LGBT things aren't as easy as they might seem, despite the fact that its 2017.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 08/10/17 at 12:28 am

In terms of what, music? My highly subjective guess would be early-mid 90s for that.
But we do seem to be sliding downhill, and it will take a miracle to lift us back up again.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/10/17 at 12:32 am

What, you don't like this? :D

edP0L6LQzZE

Written By: Brian06 on 08/10/17 at 12:33 am

What, you don't like this? :D

edP0L6LQzZE

Nah I do like it in the sense that it's good fun. I just don't think that's the "peak of human creativity".  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 08/10/17 at 1:28 am

The 60's to about the mid-90's were one of the most creative times. Not THE most creative times, but definitely one of them.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/10/17 at 2:27 am

I don't think the Late 2000s/Early 2010s were the peak of human creativity, however I do think it was arguably one of the best eras of the 21st Century. To me, the peak of human creativity were the Early 90s, due to the breakthrough of the last rock movement (grunge), the popularisation of rap/hip-hop music, as well as the invention of the world wide web. You could also make a case for the Mid '90s, Late '90s and Early 2000s, as all three eras were on par in terms of human creativity with the Early '90s IMO.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 08/10/17 at 7:02 am

I think it was a highly advanced novel time. Apps were fun accessories and social media was a tool as opposed to a way of life. Music was also also upbeat and fun in an electronic way and lady gaga's music videos felt modern and new. Things felt more vibrant and modern then in my opinion. Funnily enough I consider myself an artistic person and as of right now I feel that 2008- 2012 was my artistic peak actually so personal life wise i consider it a creative peak anyway.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/10/17 at 9:53 am

I don't think the Late 2000s/Early 2010s were the peak of human creativity, however I do think it was arguably one of the best eras of the 21st Century. To me, the peak of human creativity were the Early 90s, due to the breakthrough of the last rock movement (grunge), the popularisation of rap/hip-hop music, as well as the invention of the world wide web. You could also make a case for the Mid '90s, Late '90s and Early 2000s, as all three eras were on par in terms of human creativity with the Early '90s IMO.

The World Wide Web came into existence in 1989.

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/11/17 at 10:59 am

I agree. I miss the oil-boom, worry-free nature of the late 00s. Musicians weren't afraid to experiment, and I was more invested in television at the time than ever. It was nicer when people weren't constantly looking down at a phone and seemingly were more creative with their free time.

Written By: 2001 on 08/11/17 at 2:17 pm

I agree. I miss the oil-boom, worry-free nature of the late 00s. Musicians weren't afraid to experiment, and I was more invested in television at the time than ever. It was nicer when people weren't constantly looking down at a phone and seemingly were more creative with their free time.

Oil crashed in late 2008. :P That's actually precisely the moment I knew sh*t had really hit the fans. ;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/12/17 at 1:11 am

I'm glad that people look at their phone (when they're not driving) all the time now. I don't want to talk to you. You're not that interesting. :)

Written By: wixness on 08/12/17 at 2:35 am

It wasn't, I have to admit, but it was the last time that being non-conforming was seen as cool, which can be evidenced by the rather bland feel of 2010s music and the rather traditionalist look as well, at least for men's hair.

Check for new replies or respond here...