inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2010s vs the 1960s

Written By: bchris02 on 08/17/17 at 10:21 am

In some ways, it feels like the 2010s are the new 1960s.  Both decades started out with a lighthearted and optimistic culture.  A lot of early boomers are nostalgic for the early '60s in the way I find myself feeling nostalgia for the early '10s.  Both decades transitioned into a culture war centered around race and ideology to an extent that made people question whether or not the American experiment would be able to continue.  Both decades ended with a nagging feeling that the future would be worse than the past.

There are some differences as well.  Today, there really isn't a non-violent left-wing counter culture like we had in the '60s.  We need a new Summer of Love.  Also, the music was much better in the '60s.  Also, in the '60s culture was very pro science while in the '10s, it's in fashion to deny science.  The progressives won the '60s while the jury is still out on the '10s.

Thoughts?

Subject: Re: 2010s vs the 1960s

Written By: temaichi on 08/17/17 at 10:31 am

I dislike our current decade but i would rather choose 2010s.
I wish i could go back in time but not THAT FAR BACK! ;D

Written By: #Infinity on 08/17/17 at 11:29 am

In some ways, it feels like the 2010s are the new 1960s.  Both decades started out with a lighthearted and optimistic culture.  A lot of early boomers are nostalgic for the early '60s in the way I find myself feeling nostalgia for the early '10s.  Both decades transitioned into a culture war centered around race and ideology to an extent that made people question whether or not the American experiment would be able to continue.  Both decades ended with a nagging feeling that the future would be worse than the past.

Yes, there have definitely been numerous similarities between the 2010s and the 1960s, as I've pointed out in the past. The rise of Trump and the Alt-Right, akin to the rise of Nixon and the New Right, has only furthered this pattern more.

There are some differences as well.  Today, there really isn't a non-violent left-wing counter culture like we had in the '60s.  We need a new Summer of Love.

There are plenty of peaceful, cerebral activists working behind the scenes today, it's just that social media has given unprecedented political leverage to the loudmouthed, narrow-minded extremists who don't understand empathy and refuse compromise. The 60s defintely had their share of more aggressive movements, but peaceful visionaries were also present to balance the tide a little, though not enough to prevent the spirit of the sixties from ultimately imploding.

Also, the music was much better in the '60s.

Yeah, ironically, the music industry in the 2010s is particularly close to the early 1960s, not the mid or late 1960s, in that it's unbelievably homogenous, with hardly any span of different genres, incredibly simplistic and recycled musical progressions, a slew of pretty-faced teen pop idols, generally pathetic lyrics, little stylistic advancement compared to the preceding era, and only the occasional novelty hit to break up the monotony in the mainstream.

I think the big cultural distinction between the 2010s and 1960s is that whereas the 60s' protest culture was manifested in its groundbreaking music, 2010s counterculture is manifested primarily in television, which is more popular than it has ever been in the past and produced an endless stream (no pun intended) of different programs that cover a diverse range of topics and which frequently defy the corporate neutering that hampered TV shows in the past. The result is an overwhelming number of series considered among the best ever, with even several previously failed media franchises and wahed out stars being totally revitalized through television. TV in the 60s wasn't horrendous, but aside from the geek cult hits like The Twilight Zone, Star Trek, and Doctor Who, the industry was still generally held back by network intervention.

Also, in the '60s culture was very pro science while in the '10s, it's in fashion to deny science.  The progressives won the '60s while the jury is still out on the '10s.

I wouldn't say the progressives were any more triumphant in the 60s than they were in the 2010s. In both cases, there have been sweeping victories during the early-middle years of the decade, before intense backlash ultimately erroded the progressive movements in the late part, though this also fueled the battle further.

Written By: musicguy93 on 08/17/17 at 11:59 am

Yes, there have definitely been numerous similarities between the 2010s and the 1960s, as I've pointed out in the past. The rise of Trump and the Alt-Right, akin to the rise of Nixon and the New Right, has only furthered this pattern more.

There are plenty of peaceful, cerebral activists working behind the scenes today, it's just that social media has given unprecedented political leverage to the loudmouthed, narrow-minded extremists who don't understand empathy and refuse compromise. The 60s defintely had their share of more aggressive movements, but peaceful visionaries were also present to balance the tide a little, though not enough to prevent the spirit of the sixties from ultimately imploding.

Yeah, ironically, the music industry in the 2010s is particularly close to the early 1960s, not the mid or late 1960s, in that it's unbelievably homogenous, with hardly any span of different genres, incredibly simplistic and recycled musical progressions, a slew of pretty-faced teen pop idols, generally pathetic lyrics, little stylistic advancement compared to the preceding era, and only the occasional novelty hit to break up the monotony in the mainstream.

I think the big cultural distinction between the 2010s and 1960s is that whereas the 60s' protest culture was manifested in its groundbreaking music, 2010s counterculture is manifested primarily in television, which is more popular than it has ever been in the past and produced an endless stream (no pun intended) of different programs that cover a diverse range of topics and which frequently defy the corporate neutering that hampered TV shows in the past. The result is an overwhelming number of series considered among the best ever, with even several previously failed media franchises and wahed out stars being totally revitalized through television. TV in the 60s wasn't horrendous, but aside from the geek cult hits like The Twilight Zone, Star Trek, and Doctor Who, the industry was still generally held back by network intervention.

I wouldn't say the progressives were any more triumphant in the 60s than they were in the 2010s. In both cases, there have been sweeping victories during the early-middle years of the decade, before intense backlash ultimately erroded the progressive movements in the late part, though this also fueled the battle further.

I thought you weren't a fan of 2010s T.V.  ???. I agree with the rest of the post though.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/17/17 at 1:23 pm

I thought you weren't a fan of 2010s T.V.  ???. I agree with the rest of the post though.

I hate Orange Is the New Black with a fiery vengeance and am upset that everybody but me seems to primarily consume television instead of music these days, but if you do like television, this is a particularly golden time for the for of media. There actually are some 2010s shows I've seen that I absolutely love, like Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, and Stranger Things. I'd also probably follow and enjoy Game of Thrones and The Fosters based on what I've seen and heard, if not for the sex being an uncomfortable trigger for me as a hopeless romantic.

Written By: Howard on 08/17/17 at 3:14 pm

I dislike our current decade but i would rather choose 2010s.
I wish i could go back in time but not THAT FAR BACK! ;D

I'd rather go back to the 1960's than to be in this ridiculous genration.  ::)

Written By: bchris02 on 08/17/17 at 10:03 pm

I agree with this.

In terms of music, I fully agree was well.  The late '60s did have its garbage.  Stuff like this...

h9nE2spOw_o

...was the late 1960s equivalent of something by Ariana Grande.  You can even hear subtle hits of the late '50s/early '60s in the song as well, even though the style is for the most part very different (similar to how today's EDM still has roots in electropop despite being very different).  However, the '60s also brought us some of the best music ever made. This decade is lacking deep, edgy music altogether.  I think big part of the problem is corporate radio and the fact that today, Top 40 stations will only play what they know will be safe and acceptable for the lowest common denominator.  They aren't willing to take risks like they did in the '60s.  Of course there is the Internet, but that is too fragmented and makes it difficult for something to get a significant following.

Written By: 2001 on 08/17/17 at 10:27 pm

There are some differences as well.  Today, there really isn't a non-violent left-wing counter culture like we had in the '60s.  We need a new Summer of Love.  Also, the music was much better in the '60s.  Also, in the '60s culture was very pro science while in the '10s, it's in fashion to deny science.  The progressives won the '60s while the jury is still out on the '10s.

Thoughts?

What do you mean by that? ??? In the 1960s, there was the psychedelic movement, and new age stuff that was very much incompatible with science. Although, the 2010s also has the whole organic thing, and the anti-nuclear movement, but this is more a manifestation of being anti-corporate rather than anti-science (although it's scientifically illiterate all the same). I think the 1960s counterculture was more unscientific overall though.

The music of the 1960s was definitely better. I think you have to dig deeper to find the counterculture bands of the 2010s though, they're definitely out there.

Another interesting parallel is how in Canada, Pierre Elliot Trudeau became Prime Minister in 1968, and how his son, Justin Trudeau became PM in 2015 ;D

The 2010s progressive atmosphere/movement is one of my favourite things about this decade.  8)

Written By: 2001 on 08/17/17 at 10:54 pm

I hate Orange Is the New Black with a fiery vengeance and am upset that everybody but me seems to primarily consume television instead of music these days, but if you do like television, this is a particularly golden time for the for of media. There actually are some 2010s shows I've seen that I absolutely love, like Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, and Stranger Things. I'd also probably follow and enjoy Game of Thrones and The Fosters based on what I've seen and heard, if not for the sex being an uncomfortable trigger for me as a hopeless romantic.

I'm not afraid to say Game of Thrones is hands down the greatest TV show of all time! You should totally watch it. The sex/romance in it is very... medieval, let's say (forced marriages and other things), not much to long for in there. ;D

Written By: musicguy93 on 08/19/17 at 2:43 am

Hm, I see. The reason I was confused was because I remember you saying that you felt the 90s were a stronger time for television. It was quite a while ago though, so maybe your views have changed since then? In any case, I understand that many people view the 2010s as being the "Golden Age of Television", but I don't personally agree with that statement. What I do agree with is the idea that counterculture of this decade is reflected through television.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/19/17 at 1:59 pm

There are some comparisons. The rise of the Tea Party movement around 2010 is similar to popular conservative groups during the early '60s that were staunchly anti communist. The Republicans nominated Mitt Romney, a moderate, as their nominee for the 2012 election that many conservatives were not big supporters of, much like Richard Nixon for the 1960 election. During the 2016 campaign conservatives rose up an nominated Donald Trump, an outsider who appealed to the base, much like Barry Goldwater during the 1964 campaign.

Of course, there are differences. Goldwater lost, whereas Donald Trump won. Also, there's not a major military conflict like Vietnam creating a huge anti war movement like was saw during the '60s.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/26/17 at 3:51 am

Sorry, but I strongly disagree with this. Realistically, you could make comparisons between any decades, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are alike. Saying that the 2010s are the "new 60s" is being disregarding of the differences between the two, of which there are plenty. While there are similarities between the two decades, I think the differences vastly outweigh the similarities.

It's not just in terms of the differences in the state of pop culture and presidential outcomes; the societal contexts are entirely different. African Americans were fighting for equality and fair treatment throughout the 1960s, yet the United States elected it's first ever African-American President in the Late 2000s and not only was he re-elected and achieved a vast amount of support, but he also remained the President of the United States for over half of this decade. Yes, you could argue that equality and fair treatment are still issues which many still strive for (particularly in response to recent police shootings), but that doesn't excuse the fact that so much has changed in terms of progression and equality. The 1960s were scarred by segregation, a powerful and influential KKK and corruption displayed at upper levels of government in relation to racial treatment. None of these aspects continue to influence people in day-to-day life.

Another one is LGBT treatment and equality. There are so many countries around the world that legally allow same-sex marriage. Even Ireland, a traditionally Christian country, has legalised same-sex marriage. This is such a stark contrast from the 1960s, when the level of acceptance for LGBT rights and equality was abysmal.

Everything else is subjective. People have different tastes and while a lot of people may agree with a certain thing, others won't. For instance, in regards to the music of this decade, a lot of us have stated that we prefer the Early 2010s, but Slim95 has mentioned that he doesn't like the music from that era and prefers the Mid 2010s for music. I personally don't like the 2010s at all for music. The point i'm getting at, is that our opinions towards pop culture is subjective and primarily based on personal beliefs, rather than outright facts. Just because we may believe in something, doesn't mean that the 2010s are the "new '60s".

Check for new replies or respond here...