inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: McDonald's could face first UK strikes

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/18/17 at 4:51 pm

Fast-food company McDonald's could face its first staff strike in the UK, after workers at two stores backed a call for industrial action. Employees at McDonald's restaurants in Cambridge and Crayford, near London, voted overwhelmingly for a strike. The Bakers, Food and Allied Workers Union (BFAWU) said staff wanted secure working hours and a £10 per hour wage. A spokesman for McDonald's said the fast-food company "works hard to ensure teams are treated fairly". "We can confirm that, following a ballot process, the BFAWU have indicated that a small number of our employees representing less that 0.01% of our workforce are intending to strike in two of our restaurants." "As per the terms of the ballot, the dispute is solely related to our internal grievance procedures." Rebecca Long-Bailey, Labour's Shadow Secretary for Business, Environment and Industrial Strategy, said: "The strike at McDonald's is motivated by working people coming together to fight for decent pay and working conditions." The company in April announced that staff would be offered a choice of flexible or fixed contracts with minimum guaranteed hours. McDonald's, employs around 85,000 staff in the UK and one million worldwide.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40982955

Subject: Re: McDonald's could face first UK strikes

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/18/17 at 4:56 pm

Time for Mickey D to start installing self-ordering kiosks in their U.K. Stores.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/18/17 at 5:03 pm

Time for Mickey D to start installing self-ordering kiosks in their U.K. Stores.
Are the kiosks now available in the US?

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/18/17 at 5:53 pm

Are the kiosks now available in the US?

I think they are running trials at a few locations.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/18/17 at 8:46 pm

The faster they do that. The faster we'll implement a universal living wage. Single payer in the USA is right around the corner.

Written By: 2001 on 08/18/17 at 9:03 pm

The union can block that too lol. :P

I haven't seen one of those yet. I kind of want to try it out.

Written By: wixness on 08/19/17 at 2:15 am

Whatever. The business was run by or at least founded by religious fundamentalists, and they live off of profit alone. It's a shame I can't go and make my own burgers (chicken or beef) because if I could, I won't need a McDo.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/19/17 at 3:29 am

Whatever. The business was run by or at least founded by religious fundamentalists, and they live off of profit alone. It's a shame I can't go and make my own burgers (chicken or beef) because if I could, I won't need a McDo.

Well you could always go to Sonic Burger, in 'n Out, or Hot 'n Now for a burger.

Written By: Howard on 08/19/17 at 7:12 am

We already have them in The U.S.

Written By: Howard on 08/19/17 at 7:13 am

Well you could always go to Sonic Burger, in 'n Out, or Hot 'n Now for a burger.

or a Smashburger.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/19/17 at 7:42 am

or a Smashburger.

Or...

Burghatory
Five Guys Burgers & Fries
Hardee's
Wendy's
Burger King
Carl's Jr. 

Written By: wixness on 08/19/17 at 7:43 am

We don't really have those. You also get a reference to a Bible verse at the bottom of the paper trays you're given for fries at In 'n' Out.

Written By: Howard on 08/19/17 at 7:53 am

Or...

Burghatory
Five Guys Burgers & Fries
Hardee's
Wendy's
Burger King
Carl's Jr.

I'm in the mood for a burger now. :P

Written By: 2001 on 08/19/17 at 4:39 pm

Making your own burgers is pretty simple. I mean, just buy the chicken from the grocery store, dump it in a fryer, and put it in between two buns. :P

I didn't know McDonald's was religious though. Are you sure about that? I can't find anything about it online.

Check for new replies or respond here...