inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Solar Eclipse

Written By: Slim95 on 08/20/17 at 1:12 am

Is anybody gonna be in the vicinity of the total solar eclipse on Monday August 21st? It's gonna be in the middle of the U.S. Where I live we will have a partial eclipse with 80% of the moon covering the sun. It should be a cool experience. Unfortunately solar glasses are sold out everywhere so I have to find some other ways to get them.

Subject: Re: The Solar Eclipse

Written By: 2001 on 08/20/17 at 1:50 am

I'm pretty excited. However, like you, I can't find eclipse glasses anywhere. Hopefully someone at work has a pair, but I'm going to make a pinhole camera instead.

Yi82okVVeK0

Pro-tip: the longer the box, the bigger the image, although you don't want to get too long.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/20/17 at 5:04 pm

I'm pretty excited. However, like you, I can't find eclipse glasses anywhere. Hopefully someone at work has a pair, but I'm going to make a pinhole camera instead.

Yi82okVVeK0

Pro-tip: the longer the box, the bigger the image, although you don't want to get too long.

Yeah I made one of those yesterday and will probably use it. I hope it won't be cloudy tomorrow.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/20/17 at 5:47 pm

That's the beauty about being a welder, I don't have to find glasses.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/20/17 at 5:53 pm

It's going to get pretty dark, and it will stay that way for hours. I couldn't get the solar glasses either. Oh well. I'll just watch it on TV if anything!

Written By: nally on 08/20/17 at 5:57 pm

It's going to get pretty dark, and it will stay that way for hours. I couldn't get the solar glasses either. Oh well. I'll just watch it on TV if anything!

Same here. If anything, I will probably just watch it online or something.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/20/17 at 6:00 pm

I live in NYC and the Sun will not be totally covered because NYC is not directly in the path of the eclipse but the moon will cover the Sun about 70-80%.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/20/17 at 7:04 pm

When the moon is in the seventh house
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then Peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/20/17 at 8:10 pm

Yeah here in NJ we'll get about 70% visibility of the moon covering the sun. Not as badass as a view in say South Carolina, but I'll take it nonetheless 8).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/20/17 at 8:32 pm

Yeah here in NJ we'll get about 70% visibility of the moon covering the sun. Not as badass as a view in say South Carolina, but I'll take it nonetheless 8).

Same here in NYC 8).

Written By: 2001 on 08/20/17 at 8:57 pm

I'm ready!!

http://i.imgur.com/yVhCUto.jpg

Yeah, I used to eat All-Bran. Don't judge me.

Written By: annimal on 08/20/17 at 9:25 pm

I recall so time back in school  we had two index cards.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/20/17 at 9:43 pm

Same here in NYC 8).

Thats wassup! I may go to the Shore to see it, where you heading?

I'm ready!!

http://i.imgur.com/yVhCUto.jpg

Yeah, I used to eat All-Bran. Don't judge me.

Dude my guilty pleasure is Raisin Bran Crunch

https://images.kglobalservices.com/www.kelloggs.com/en_us/product/product_4508655/kicproductimage-110082_rbc.png

Its cool ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/20/17 at 10:07 pm

Thats wassup! I may go to the Shore to see it, where you heading?

Nowhere...just going outside my home when it's time.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/20/17 at 10:19 pm

Ok thats cool! Were you able to snag a pair of sunglasses yet?

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/20/17 at 10:22 pm

I don't have a pair of those glasses to watch it, and ours will be only partial. 80 something %. I just want to see if it gets dark outside during the day, provided it's not already cloudy.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/20/17 at 10:36 pm

Ok thats cool! Were you able to snag a pair of sunglasses yet?

Yeah, I have sunglasses...I just need to find them, lol :P.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/20/17 at 10:36 pm

I don't have a pair of those glasses to watch it, and ours will be only partial. 80 something %. I just want to see if it gets dark outside during the day, provided it's not already cloudy.

Yeah, same here.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/20/17 at 11:25 pm

Make sure you use solar glasses rather than regular sunglasses. The sun during the eclipse is much, much brighter than usual so it is very dangerous for the eyes to look at it without special equipment.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/20/17 at 11:28 pm

Yeah I think it will get dark even with a partial eclipse. It will feel almost like night, should be pretty cool. It will peak around 11:30 where I live.

Written By: nally on 08/20/17 at 11:36 pm

I'll probably be outside of my home... but inside another place.

Written By: nally on 08/20/17 at 11:37 pm

Make sure you use solar glasses rather than regular sunglasses. The sun during the eclipse is much, much brighter than usual so it is very dangerous for the eyes to look at it without special equipment.

Yes it is...which is why if I see it, at all, it will be in an online stream somewhere.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/20/17 at 11:53 pm

Well, I don't have solar glasses :P.

I guess I'll just watch it online like nally.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/20/17 at 11:58 pm

Yes it is...which is why if I see it, at all, it will be in an online stream somewhere.

Well, I don't have solar glasses :P.

I guess I'll just watch it online like nally.
Yeah, same here. I don't have any money to get solar glasses anyway, so I'll definitely just watch it online.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/21/17 at 12:25 am

Thank God our family and I got our glasses weeks before everybody started getting them at the last minute. Solar Eclipse glasses in my hometown have been sold out the last few days, and we had a bunch of calls from people trying to request for solar eclipse glasses lol! I'll be in Marietta, Georgia with my college friends looking at the eclipse with glasses on, and I'll try to record the sky getting darker with my camera if there's enough data on there.

Written By: nally on 08/21/17 at 12:13 pm

Yeah, same here. I don't have any money to get solar glasses anyway, so I'll definitely just watch it online.

...even though it is quite visible in southern California, where I live.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/17 at 12:14 pm

It will be partial here in the UK around 7pm to 8pm. I will try and take photos.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/21/17 at 12:32 pm

Same here, it will be a partial eclipse for us too. I'm watching it on TV.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/21/17 at 12:34 pm

Same here, it will be a partial eclipse for us too. I'm watching it on TV.

Yep, I'm watching it on TV now (on MSNBC). It will also be a partial eclipse (70-72% of the Sun covered) here in NYC.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/17 at 12:56 pm

It will be partial here in the UK around 7pm to 8pm. I will try and take photos.
Sorry, there will be no photos here, for there is cloud cover, and nothing will be properly seen.

Written By: exodus08 on 08/21/17 at 12:59 pm

I live in southern Washington and we got to see it.

Written By: Howard on 08/21/17 at 3:11 pm

Same here. If anything, I will probably just watch it online or something.

I'd rather watch it online too.

Written By: Howard on 08/21/17 at 3:12 pm

could regular sunglasses work? ???

Written By: wixness on 08/21/17 at 3:24 pm

No, just read it up online.

Reminds me of how space can be wonderful but also scary.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/17 at 3:28 pm

Can be very dangerous!

Written By: annimal on 08/21/17 at 3:34 pm

would driving glasses be better?

Written By: Slim95 on 08/21/17 at 3:35 pm

I watched it using the cereal box method. It was pretty cool! The birds were freaking out and it looked like 8 pm when it was 11:30 am.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/21/17 at 3:35 pm

would driving glasses be better?

solar glasses or welding glasses work. Anything else has a risk on your eyes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/17 at 3:38 pm

I watched it using the cereal box method. It was pretty cool! The birds were freaking out and it looked like 8 pm when it was 11:30 am.
Is that the pinhole method?

Written By: mqg96 on 08/21/17 at 3:41 pm

Here in Marietta, Georgia the moon covered the sun about 95%. The sky got darker but it kinda felt like sunset with the sun in the middle of the sky, it didn't get completely dark. If only I had driven further up north I could have experienced it getting completely dark! It was a cool experience, but it's over now!  ;)

Written By: Slim95 on 08/21/17 at 3:53 pm

Is that the pinhole method?

yeah

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/21/17 at 4:20 pm

No and the eclipse all ready passed the U.S.

Written By: 2001 on 08/21/17 at 4:43 pm

I used a coworker's glasses and it was pretty cool.  8) It barely got any darker in Toronto though. A bit brighter than a cloudy day but not as bright as a completely sunny day is how I'd describe it.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/21/17 at 5:05 pm

I used a coworker's glasses and it was pretty cool.  8) It barely got any darker in Toronto though. A bit brighter than a cloudy day but not as bright as a completely sunny day is how I'd describe it.

Yeah, same here in NYC.

Written By: exodus08 on 08/21/17 at 5:23 pm

I took a dump  8-P

Written By: nally on 08/21/17 at 5:30 pm

I didn't get to actually see it, since I had no proper viewing gear... but others did, and they were able to capture it and post a picture of it to their FB, as I found such imagery on my feed.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/21/17 at 5:37 pm

I created a pinhole box. We only got a partial so it wasn't that great viewing-of course that could have been my artistic talent for making the box. lol. I'm gonna make sure that I get some glasses in time for 2024. It will be total here.

Cat

Written By: 2001 on 08/21/17 at 7:48 pm

I created a pinhole box. We only got a partial so it wasn't that great viewing-of course that could have been my artistic talent for making the box. lol. I'm gonna make sure that I get some glasses in time for 2024. It will be total here.

Cat

That one's perfect for us!  :D

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/53c358b6e4b01b8adb4d5870/589bcf7ce3df285dc9122a9c/5852efcae58c62941f9b812d/1486607483625/?format=1000w

Written By: Slim95 on 08/21/17 at 7:56 pm

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/53c358b6e4b01b8adb4d5870/589bcf7ce3df285dc9122a9c/5852efcae58c62941f9b812d/1486607483625/?format=1000w

If all goes as planned I will be moving to Ontario before then and I will be able to catch the total solar eclipse in 2024.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/21/17 at 8:52 pm

The path of totality crossed southeast Nebraska today, so my brother and I drove to a lake about 70 miles away and met up with our family. For most of the morning the skies were overcast and we hit a few rain showers on the way to the lake and we were worried that the day was going to be a bust but when we got to our viewing spot the sky started clearing up a bit.

We never did have completely clear skies but the clouds had thinned out enough to where we could get a good view of the sun. (We all had acquired our eclipse glasses several weeks prior.)

As the moment of totality approached, my brother-in-law said he was going to the top of a hill that was in front of us, because he said that one of the side effects of a total solar eclipse is that it gives the appearance of a sunset in all directions. We could also feel the temperature drop as the moon covered the sun.

When totality finally hit, it indeed was one of the coolest things I've ever experienced in my life. It was even more amazing than I had expected. It was truly surreal.

The other thing that blew my mind was, as the eclipse was waning, when the moon hit a certain point the temperature almost instantly shot up 10, maybe 20 degrees.

Again it wasn't perfect since there was a bit of cloud cover but nonetheless it was an awesome experience.

I'm totally going to road trip for this!  ;)

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/21/17 at 9:47 pm

Yeah same here in NJ, I was actually pretty underwhelmed in all honesty.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/21/17 at 9:51 pm

Same but it was cool to see it on TV and see other people's reaction. It was ONCE IN A LIFETIME.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/21/17 at 9:57 pm

I decided not to see it because I've heard it can permanently damage your eyes.

You could have watched it on TV or online like I did :P.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/21/17 at 9:58 pm

Trump's moronic self looked directly into the Sun ;D.

Written By: 2001 on 08/21/17 at 10:01 pm

If all goes as planned I will be moving to Ontario before then and I will be able to catch the total solar eclipse in 2024.

You're headed east? If you're in Toronto then drink's on me! :D

The path of totality crossed southeast Nebraska today, so my brother and I drove to a lake about 70 miles away and met up with our family. For most of the morning the skies were overcast and we hit a few rain showers on the way to the lake and we were worried that the day was going to be a bust but when we got to our viewing spot the sky started clearing up a bit.

We never did have completely clear skies but the clouds had thinned out enough to where we could get a good view of the sun. (We all had acquired our eclipse glasses several weeks prior.)

As the moment of totality approached, my brother-in-law said he was going to the top of a hill that was in front of us, because he said that one of the side effects of a total solar eclipse is that it gives the appearance of a sunset in all directions. We could also feel the temperature drop as the moon covered the sun.

When totality finally hit, it indeed was one of the coolest things I've ever experienced in my life. It was even more amazing than I had expected. It was truly surreal.

The other thing that blew my mind was, as the eclipse was waning, when the moon hit a certain point the temperature almost instantly shot up 10, maybe 20 degrees.

Again it wasn't perfect since there was a bit of cloud cover but nonetheless it was an awesome experience.

I'm totally going to road trip for this!  ;)

Damn, I'm jealous! Sounds surreal. 2024 can't come soon enough.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/21/17 at 10:02 pm

But you weren't in the path of totality either. Wait until 2024 when the path of the next total eclipse crosses the Northeast. I would absolutely recommend driving into the path, it was 100% worth it

Written By: Slim95 on 08/21/17 at 10:06 pm

You're headed east? If you're in Toronto then drink's on me! :D

Yeah after I graduate I plan on moving but to Ottawa. I hear the IT sector is good there and I hope to land a government job. I just gotta brush up on my French. I still have a couple of years left.  ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/21/17 at 10:07 pm

Damn, I'm jealous! Sounds surreal. 2024 can't come soon enough.

It was totally surreal. The best way I can describe it was that it almost felt like I was on another planet.  :o

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/21/17 at 10:21 pm

It was totally surreal. The best way I can describe it was that it almost felt like I was on another planet.  :o

That's cool and you were lucky. You got to experience a truly monumental and once in a lifetime event.

Written By: 2001 on 08/21/17 at 10:26 pm

Yeah after I graduate I plan on moving but to Ottawa. I hear the IT sector is good there and I hope to land a government job. I just gotta brush up on my French. I still have a couple of years left.  ;D

Ahh, c'est trop loin.  :( Et bien, je te souhaite le plus grand succès. L'est de l'Ontario c'est un peu comme le "Bible Belt" de l'Ontario ;D Mais Ottawa est toujours plutôt agréable

Written By: #Infinity on 08/21/17 at 10:56 pm

The eclipse caused Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" to reach #1 on the iTunes Top Songs chart.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/21/17 at 11:04 pm

Ahh, c'est trop loin.  :( Et bien, je te souhaite le plus grand succès. L'est de l'Ontario c'est un peu comme le "Bible Belt" de l'Ontario ;D Mais Ottawa est toujours plutôt agréable

Haha yeah I understood that! I would say compared to Alberta any place in Canada will look super liberal and make Alberta look like the Bible Belt.  ;D Speaking of Francais, how are the French lessons going? Are you fluent yet?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/17 at 11:15 pm

Anyone take any good photos?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/21/17 at 11:52 pm

Haha yeah I understood that! I would say compared to Alberta any place in Canada will look super liberal and make Alberta look like the Bible Belt.  ;D Speaking of Francais, how are the French lessons going? Are you fluent yet?

La province de l'Alberta est le Texas du Canada :P.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/21/17 at 11:54 pm

La province de l'Alberta est le Texas du Canada :P.

Oui, that's right (c'est vrai?) Man I really suck at writing French but I am so good at reading it and understanding it lol. I'll get there some day.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/21/17 at 11:55 pm

Anyone take any good photos?

Unfortunately I do not have any. ): But yeah some pictures would be cool to see.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/17 at 11:57 pm

Unfortunately I do not have any. ): But yeah some pictures would be cool to see.
There will be photos online, but it would be more interesting from our own members here?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/21/17 at 11:58 pm

Oui, that's right (c'est vrai?) Man I really suck at writing French but I am so good at reading it and understanding it lol. I'll get there some day.

Just keep practicing.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/22/17 at 6:20 am

It's a shame it didn't blind him. But then again, he already is blinded by stupidity..

Written By: Howard on 08/22/17 at 7:02 am

Can be very dangerous!

could cause permanent damage to the retina.

Written By: Howard on 08/22/17 at 7:05 am

April 8, 2024
I'll have turned 50 by that time.

Written By: Howard on 08/22/17 at 7:06 am

http://ell.h-cdn.co/assets/17/34/980x490/landscape-1503343403-gettyimages-836311080.jpg

;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/17 at 7:07 am

http://ell.h-cdn.co/assets/17/34/980x490/landscape-1503343403-gettyimages-836311080.jpg

;D
How are his eyes now?

Written By: Howard on 08/22/17 at 7:37 am

How are his eyes now?

I don't know.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/17 at 7:52 am

I don't know.
Is an official secret now?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/22/17 at 9:50 am

It's a shame it didn't blind him. But then again, he already is blinded by stupidity..

You're correct!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/22/17 at 9:51 am

April 8, 2024

I'll be almost 25 years old.

;D

He's so stupid ;D.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/17 at 11:44 am

April 8, 2024
I wonder, and does anyone know when the next eclipse is due in the UK?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/22/17 at 12:03 pm

I wonder, and does anyone know when the next eclipse is due in the UK?

"...the next decent one too - it won't take place until August 12, 2026, when up to 95 per cent of the Sun will be obscured.

Britain will not see a total solar eclipse until September 23, 2090, but there are a plethora of partial eclipses in the meantime to keep nyctophiles content."

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/17 at 12:07 pm

"...the next decent one too - it won't take place until August 12, 2026, when up to 95 per cent of the Sun will be obscured.

Britain will not see a total solar eclipse until September 23, 2090, but there are a plethora of partial eclipses in the meantime to keep nyctophiles content."
I do not think I can wait that long, how about the next one in the Philippines?

Written By: Howard on 08/22/17 at 12:54 pm

Is an official secret now?

Why would he be such a stupid moron and not have glasses?  ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/22/17 at 12:55 pm

I'll be almost 25 years old.
He's so stupid ;D.

I knew he was going to do that.  ::)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/22/17 at 1:39 pm

I knew he was going to do that.  ::)

Me too.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/22/17 at 1:42 pm

I do not think I can wait that long, how about the next one in the Philippines?

I do not know. Sorry :P.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/17 at 1:53 pm

I do not know. Sorry :P.
Thanks, I try my own research.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/22/17 at 5:24 pm

Looking at that map, not so perfect for us.  :-\\  We are a bit south of the path of totality.  :\'( :\'(

We are just going to have to go visit the kids in the Burlington area that day.

Cat

Written By: nally on 08/22/17 at 5:35 pm

So, judging from that path... where I am is on the north side. Still, people in my area got to see it well.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/22/17 at 5:37 pm

There was no eclipse here yesterday, but I did watch it on TV. Maybe in 2024 I will have the chance to see it happen.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/22/17 at 7:14 pm

I saw the eclipse. I felt like a star.  8)

http://media-assets-01.thedrum.com/cache/images/thedrum-prod/s3-news-tmp-126745-big_ass_fans_fanny--2x1--940.jpg

Written By: annimal on 08/22/17 at 10:13 pm

of course of course

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/17 at 1:35 am

There was no eclipse here yesterday, but I did watch it on TV. Maybe in 2024 I will have the chance to see it happen.
Even a partial eclipse?

Written By: Howard on 08/23/17 at 3:52 pm

By the time it happens you'll be 43 and most likely married by then. ;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/24/17 at 6:52 am

It was overcast of course, so no I did not. I did see photos people took though and it would have been cool to be where they got to see it get dark during the day, but oh well.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/16/18 at 11:42 pm

Can you guys believe it has almost been a year since the 2017 solar eclipse!? Already brings back memories.

Written By: Wobo on 08/17/18 at 12:15 am

Can you guys believe it has almost been a year since the 2017 solar eclipse!? Already brings back memories.

Yep, i still remember that day fully.

Check for new replies or respond here...