inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did you stop using Windows XP?

Written By: bchris02 on 08/25/17 at 11:23 pm

Due to five years between Windows XP and it's successor Vista and due to the public's wholesale rejection of Vista, the most popular time to be running XP was actually the late '00s, despite the OS's "prime" being the early to mid '00s.  Even Windows 7 had a relatively low adoption rate early on.  Most people upgraded to 7 when replacing old XP hardware with newer hardware.  Still, many tech enthusiasts stuck with XP to the bitter end.

I was an early Vista adopter in 2007, but there were so many problems with it I downgraded back to XP.  I swapped out between Vista and XP several times as I was trying to find something to like about Vista.  Despite the negative stigma, Vista did have it's own loyal fanbase in the geek community, similar to what Windows 8 had.  By 2008 I had settled with XP and was going to wait and see what 7 had to offer before giving moving on a shot again.  In early 2009, I got my hands on a RC version of Windows 7 and stuck with it until it expired in 2011.  Even in 2009 in release-candidate stage, Windows 7 ran much better than Vista.

So when did you stop using XP?  Did you upgrade to Vista, wait for 7 and then upgrade, or stick with XP until 2014?

Subject: Re: When did you stop using Windows XP?

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/26/17 at 12:46 am

I'm pretty sure I stopped using XP around 2012/13 sometime, when I got windows 7.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/26/17 at 1:01 am

I stopped in 2007 since my pc had broke. I had it again a few more times after that, but it was very short. By 2009, I had windows 7 which I had for a few years before getting another computer with windows 8 in 2013. Then I returned to back to 7 because my windows 8 computer broke down all of a sudden in 2015. Then, a few months ago I finally ended up upgrading to Windows 10 which is awesome so far.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/26/17 at 1:38 am

Do you mean as a personal computer or just in general? The place I worked at (two years ago) still probably has Windows XP for all I know. But 2015 would be the last time I actually used Windows XP as the computers at my work all had Windows XP on it.

For personal use, I have officially stopped using Windows XP in 2013. It was on my very old desktop we got from 2005. I used that desktop occasionally when I was in my basement to transfer old VHS tapes as it is beside my TV. Later that year we upgraded to Windows 8, then about 1 - 2 years later we got rid of that old thing as it was incredibly slow and replaced it with a new desktop computer for my mom which came with Windows 8.1 (and now has Windows 10). Now for my primary computer that I use as a daily driver I switched to Windows 7 in 2011 as that is when I got my first laptop because I was using my family desktop with Windows XP on it as my primary computer before that. Although we had another desktop upstairs that had Windows 7 on it and I used that on frequent occasions as well because it was quite a bit faster. On this computer we did have Vista for a short period of time (2008 - 2009 I think) and then upgraded to Windows 7 right away.

On a side note, the last time I used Windows 7 was actually in 2014 (installed it on a newer laptop) before buying my Surface Pro in that same year.

Written By: Fearsword on 08/26/17 at 6:25 am

My family bought a Windows Vista laptop in June 2009 which replaced our windows XP Desktop PC as our main computer although I continued to use it occasionally until 2011-12

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/26/17 at 8:05 am

Why would I need to stop using XP?  It's still getting the job done for me.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/26/17 at 12:15 pm

My desktop that we'd had since 2004 tore up during the summer of 2007, and I replaced it with a Windows Vista laptop. What's funny, even thought Vista gets a lot of crap, I actually wound up using it for a full five years until I finally bought a new laptop around mid 2012.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/26/17 at 12:55 pm

Because Microsoft stopped supporting it in 2014 so now it is prone to all viruses without any protection.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/26/17 at 12:57 pm

I got a Windows 7 in 2009 because my second XP had broken that year.

Written By: Dude111 on 08/26/17 at 2:13 pm

Good for you....Dont let your mind be filled with MSM crap thats meant to control you!!

Any OS is fine if you know how to lock it down,etc...... Im on Win98se .. My favourite OS ever,i really love it :)

Written By: Howard on 08/26/17 at 5:35 pm

You don't want to upgrade? ???

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 08/26/17 at 6:17 pm

Well... that depends. I have a Windows XP virtual machine that I use for nostalgia purposes to play my childhood games and such. But the last time that I've used Windows XP in my house was in 2009, when I installed my dad's XP disc on my HP desktop computer (even though it had XP in it). My dad had to install Windows Vista in order to have my computer work after that. It still worked before late 2012, where I downloaded some malware on it before getting so much Blue Screens of Death. It was a misleading pack of Class of 3000 episodes, even though I didn't realize it was a virus.

The last time that I used Windows XP on a physical computer was in early 2016. Although the laptops that had XP on them really didn't run well and it sucked with Internet Explorer 8. I could've done some cool stuff on them, but it was under my school's Internet connection. So I couldn't do anything on them, even if it ran slow as hell.

Written By: 2001 on 08/26/17 at 6:31 pm

Sometime in late 2009 or early 2010 when I got a Windows 7 laptop.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/26/17 at 6:37 pm

You don't want to upgrade? ???

Nah. I figure if it isn't broke, I won't mess with it.

Written By: HugMePlz on 08/26/17 at 7:53 pm

When I got a new laptop on Christmas 2012, which came with Windows 7.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/26/17 at 8:22 pm

Good for you....Dont let your mind be filled with MSM crap thats meant to control you!!

Any OS is fine if you know how to lock it down,etc...... Im on Win98se .. My favourite OS ever,i really love it :)

Problem with using something like 98SE is pretty much no modern software runs with it.  Even modern browsers aren't compatible anymore.  Using Internet Explorer 5.5 isn't going to cut it with today's Internet.  XP is likely to suffer from the same problem within the next decade if it isn't there already.

If you want to ditch Microsoft, I would recommend something like Ubuntu or Linux Mint.  If you are okay with using open source everything, you really can't beat a free operating system that is secure and fully compatible with today's Internet.

I work in IT and I really don't see a lot of people using XP anymore.  I can't remember the last time I had a customer that was still on it.  A few years ago that wasn't the case and there was plenty of XP users.  A lot of networks are still running on Windows Server 2003 however.

Written By: Dude111 on 08/26/17 at 9:34 pm

Problem with using something like 98SE is pretty much no modern software runs with it.  Even modern browsers aren't compatible anymore.  Using Internet Explorer 5.5 isn't going to cut it with today's Internet.

Yes your right Chris.... There is a huge jump between IE5.5 and IE6 (as far as rendering capability) .. Im glad I have 6 as like you said 5.5 wouldnt work good @ all!!!

I use MyIE2 (IE wrapper) though to surf with 99% of the time as i like the UI better (more colourful) and i like the more stuff i can do with MyIE2 (tabs,etc)..

Written By: wixness on 08/27/17 at 2:11 am

Can't really remember, but perhaps when my dad got his first laptop back in around 2007-ish. This was when we got Vista on a laptop with NVIDIA graphics (couldn't really play games on it though, since we weren't allowed) - it was worth 600 GBP new. Since then, we didn't really get back to Win XP as we didn't know how to, and what with Windows 7 coming out in just a span of two years, we didn't really want to go back.

Written By: Howard on 08/27/17 at 2:30 pm

Nah. I figure if it isn't broke, I won't mess with it.

Ok, Whatever floats your boat.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/28/17 at 7:25 am

Around 2012 for personal use.

Written By: bigdsketch on 08/29/17 at 8:40 am

In 2009 when our 8 year old Compaq Presario finally bit the dust.

Written By: d90 on 08/29/17 at 10:19 am

I still use Windows XP to do stuff offline like print pictures and play games.  The last time I used XP to go online was 2014. I now use either my Android phone, Android tablet or Windows 10 pc to go online.

Check for new replies or respond here...