inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do people still wear watches?

Written By: 2001 on 08/27/17 at 6:12 pm

So my inexpensive Casio-AE1200WHD arrived in the mail this morning, and I took it out today.

http://cdn.watchshop.com/images/reviews/1414239973.jpg

Everyone's noticed it, I guess, because it's very nerd/geeky looking (that's what I was going for :D), but I realized I was in the minority in wearing one.

I used to always wear a watch when I was a kid/teenager, even had a set that came in different colours. But around a year after I got my smartphone, I stopped wearing them. It didn't really have much use anymore except as a fashion piece. But after a few... incidents... that caused me to be without my smartphone for a bit and losing track of time, I bought this waterproof watch.

What about you guys, do you still wear one?

Subject: Re: Do people still wear watches?

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/27/17 at 6:23 pm

So my inexpensive Casio-AE1200WHD arrived in the mail this morning, and I took it out today.

Everyone's noticed it, I guess, because it's very nerd/geeky looking (that's what I was going for :D), but I realized I was in the minority in wearing one.

I used to always wear a watch when I was a kid/teenager, even had a set that came in different colours. But around a year after I got my smartphone, I stopped wearing them. It didn't really have much use anymore except as a fashion piece. But after a few... incidents... that caused me to be without my smartphone for a bit and losing track of time, I bought this waterproof watch.

Yours looks cool! I bought an el cheapo from American Eagle one time because why not, and rarely wear it, but it goes with some outfits and watches make a nice statement piece if anything.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/27/17 at 6:31 pm

I never wear watches. I might just get one though!

Written By: Fearsword on 08/27/17 at 6:39 pm

Yeah bro, wearing it now! I love how Target has cheap waterproof watches

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/27/17 at 7:13 pm

I have 3 (working) ones that I wear depending on my outfit. 2 are Lorus that we got in a lot of new watches at an auction-all of which needed batteries. I liked 2 of them so I kept them.

In another lot of watches, I think we paid $20 for all of them-they were all older and none worked. There were 2 that I really liked-both Bulova. I took them to a repair shop. One (the one that I REALLY liked) he couldn't get the part for so he couldn't fix it. The other one cost $60. That one was made in 1952. I used that one only until I got the two Lorus.

I decided to give the other Bulova a shot and went to a different place. They could fix it but for $250!  :o :o :o  I went ahead and paid to have it repaired because the watch was made in the 1940s. If I were to BUY that watch, I would probably have to pay a lot more than that. I also exchanged the watch band from the other one since this one didn't have one. So, I no longer use the other Bulova (it was kind of small to see the face anyway). I just might put that up on eBay.

I like being able to say that my watch was made in the 1940s. How cool is that?!!

Cat

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 08/27/17 at 7:25 pm

Watches use to be the shizz for me although I do wear them still every now and then.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/27/17 at 7:40 pm

Cool watch.  8)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/27/17 at 9:57 pm

I wear a watch.  Inexpensive, black, with digital numbers.  It's solar powered - something I like.  I wear it all the time (I'm on my third watch band).

My husband used to wear a watch but now he doesn't - he just uses his phone to tell the time.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/27/17 at 10:15 pm

Yes, people still wear watches. I have 4 watches and I wear 2 of them often (almost always).

Written By: nally on 08/28/17 at 1:12 am

I wear one every day, so I can conveniently look at it to see what time it is.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/28/17 at 2:25 am

To answer the question, plenty of people still do. Most of my friends wear watches. I see a lot of other people when i'm out and about who are wearing watches as well. As for myself, I have never really worn watches, even though I have owned one since 2005. I really should start to wear it, because my time management is quite poor. :P

Written By: Howard on 08/28/17 at 6:57 am

I don't wear watches anymore, besides I'm allergic to the metal and I just carry my cell phione for a clock from now on.

Written By: wixness on 08/28/17 at 8:17 am

I'm tempted to get a smartwatch, but they require nightly recharging, I can't use them in exams and it might not be worth it overall. Some might not have GPS, thus limiting their usefulness in my opinion.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/28/17 at 9:57 am

I was never a fan of watches but its interesting to own one though.

Written By: nally on 08/28/17 at 10:39 am

To answer the question, plenty of people still do. Most of my friends wear watches. I see a lot of other people when i'm out and about who are wearing watches as well. As for myself, I have never really worn watches, even though I have owned one since 2005. I really should start to wear it, because my time management is quite poor. :P

My time management skills are kinda weak as well, but I have been working hard to improve them. I mean, I am good at doing so at work, but at home on days I have off, it needs improvement.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/28/17 at 12:34 pm

I never wear a watch and even during the 90s and most of the 2000s I was bad at keeping track of my watches. I'm getting tired of having to check my phone for the time so I hope to buy a nice one soon.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/28/17 at 12:49 pm

These are my 4 watches 8)

http://i.imgur.com/6hzthp2r.jpg

Written By: Howard on 08/28/17 at 1:11 pm

http://i.imgur.com/6hzthp2r.jpg

very nice. :)

Written By: Howard on 08/28/17 at 1:12 pm

But who wears watches anymore when you have your cell phone or any other device that has a clock built in.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/28/17 at 1:46 pm

very nice. :)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/28/17 at 1:48 pm

But who wears watches anymore when you have your cell phone or any other device that has a clock built in.

People wear watches for more than just knowing what time it is.

Watches can be a fashion accessory/stylish item, projection of your wealth, tradition, they have an affinity for watches, etc.

Written By: 2001 on 08/28/17 at 6:46 pm

Nice! They look great. ;)

Yours looks cool! I bought an el cheapo from American Eagle one time because why not, and rarely wear it, but it goes with some outfits and watches make a nice statement piece if anything.

Cool watch.  8)

Thanks! It looks better in the photo than IRL ;D

Written By: nally on 08/28/17 at 7:02 pm

Yes, but some people don't like to have to take something out of their pocket just to see what time it is.

Having it on wrist is convenient... at least from my perspective.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/28/17 at 7:09 pm

Nice! They look great. ;)

Thanks! :)

Your watch looks good as well.

Yes, but some people don't like to have to take something out of their pocket just to see what time it is.

Having it on wrist is convenient... at least from my perspective.

I agree.

Check for new replies or respond here...