inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: We're all "old heads"

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/28/17 at 12:07 am

As I scroll through comments when I'm touring older music video sprees, I see the "They don't make music like this anymore. "Back when music had fun and meaning." Or "Music today is sh!t." comments everywhere. That's the idea and point of this topic. Rep your era but, handle it better and don't claim it.

I'm a 2000s head for life and when I'm an old dude, I'll have 2000s posters hanging up in my room. The rest you already know.

Subject: Re: We're all "old heads"

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/28/17 at 2:32 am

I don't really blame them for doing it, to be honest. Although, I wish people would actually make the effort to try and improve the current state of music. Instead of whinging about it, why not try to make a difference! Stop streaming the crap that artists like Ariana Grande and Taylor Swift are putting out.  ::) Maybe then will people realise that there is still plenty of great songs being released; they are just not getting the attention that they deserve.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/28/17 at 9:50 am

I've accepted the fact that I aged out of pop culture several years ago. Hell, now I even embrace it.

If the powers that be want to cater all mainstream music to 15-year-olds, then I'll happily take my 30-year-old self and go enjoy some of that Y2K awesomeness. OutKast is miles better than any group out there now anyways.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/28/17 at 9:55 am

I don't really blame them for doing it, to be honest. Although, I wish people would actually make the effort to try and improve the current state of music. Instead of whinging about it, why not try to make a difference! Stop streaming the crap that artists like Ariana Grande and Taylor Swift are putting out.  ::) Maybe then will people realise that there is still plenty of great songs being released; they are just not getting the attention that they deserve.

Nah, dude. Like, how exactly can the current state of music be improved? Good music is based on perspective.

I can relate to this because "real music" is boring to me. I already have enough common sense on my own. The music you dislike right now, people will remember in a positive light. Those comments you see are completely in the minority.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/28/17 at 10:29 am

I'm a little bit between the horns of a dilemma with this one. I come from the 60s and 70s. It is almost universally understood that the music of that era was extraordinary. But, at the same time,  if I say "much of the music of the 60s and early-mid 70s was extraordinary" there are those who will say "you think that because that's the era you come from. Everybody thinks that about thee music of their era". Well yes, there is that. BUT..., well...MUCH OF THE MUSIC OF THE 60S AND 70s WAS EXTRAORDINARY. Case closed! I think this is understood intellectually even by those who may not care for or appreciate the music of that era. It was an embarrassment of riches. Unbelievable music poured forth literally on a daily basis. there were not enough hours in the day to absorb it all. Even at the close of the century in 1999 when the media did all these "wrap up of the century" kind of specials, the 1960s particularly was invariably singled out for the excellence of popular music. Not the 90s or 80s, for example. Not to say there wasn't crap as well as great stuff, but the great stuff outweighed the crap. I can't help but notice that today a great number of young people can't stand this pop stuff that passes for music, and understandably so. It's manufactured by committee, it's a formula, it can be grating, it has no meaning and isn't meant to. I can see WHY young people of today might not like current music. But back then nobody said that, everybody found something to love among the great music pouring forth. Today it seems the manufactured, meaningless stuff has a monopoly and I wonder how that happened. Back then many people based their ENTIRE LIVES around music. Now music has become a second class citizen.

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 08/28/17 at 1:16 pm

I want music and culture to return to at least a presentable stage,but yes we can only try to make a difference.My favorite era of all time is 1987-2005 that was the greatest time ever.☺

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/28/17 at 2:19 pm

I've accepted the fact that I aged out of pop culture several years ago. Hell, now I even embrace it.

If the powers that be want to cater all mainstream music to 15-year-olds, then I'll happily take my 30-year-old self and go enjoy some of that Y2K awesomeness. OutKast is miles better than any group out there now anyways.

I haven't because pop culture down the line might be something I like better. I could even like it better in my 60s. It's complete BS that you are too old for things at a certain age.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/28/17 at 10:14 pm

What I dislike in todays music to point out, the atmosphere is unnoticeable. Maybe I'm just being bias and they just don't capture my taste in atmosphere as the 90s and 2000s.

The last time music had strong atmosphere from my memory was during the early 2010s.

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/29/17 at 3:02 am

As I scroll through comments when I'm touring older music video sprees, I see the "They don't make music like this anymore. "Back when music had fun and meaning." Or "Music today is sh!t." comments everywhere. That's the idea and point of this topic. Rep your era but, handle it better and don't claim it.

I'm a 2000s head for life and when I'm an old dude, I'll have 2000s posters hanging up in my room. The rest you already know.

*Shakes cane* Now get off my lawn!

Late 90's and 2000's 4 life!  ;D

Written By: wixness on 08/29/17 at 6:54 am

And let us keep copies of the content!

Nevertheless, the 2000s seems to be the decade that everyone wants to forget, so bringing it back will be quite a challenge.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/29/17 at 9:01 am

There's definitely some Late 90s representation I'll save room for. I guess I'll most likely have some early 2010s things represented to.

That's the limited for me.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/29/17 at 9:43 am

Heck yeah. Y2K kids rule this thing.

Check for new replies or respond here...