inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: YouTube has rebranded

Written By: bchris02 on 08/29/17 at 3:00 pm

Not sure this was necessary, but YouTube has a new logo.  Kind of sad to see the old one go as it's been a constant since the service launched in 2005.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/29/16216868/new-youtube-logo-redesign-font-color-app-design

Subject: Re: YouTube has rebranded

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/29/17 at 3:06 pm

I just checked the YouTube site and yep, they rebranded. New logo, new layout and theme. It's not horrible but the site has just gotten more bland and even more sleek.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/17 at 3:11 pm

Not sure this was necessary, but YouTube has a new logo.  Kind of sad to see the old one go as it's been a constant since the service launched in 2005.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/29/16216868/new-youtube-logo-redesign-font-color-app-design

Why would they rebrand after 12 years? ::)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/29/17 at 4:28 pm

I was just on there yesterday, and I saw the old logo. It seems they just did that this morning. I'm not sure if it was a good idea, but I have a feeling it means that they want to start fresh, and probably target a new audience.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/29/17 at 4:32 pm

Looks like the transition to the real late 2010s has actually set its self now.

Still a stupid decision though.

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 08/29/17 at 4:45 pm

This YouTube transition is well weird,but its only the beginning of many transitions

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/29/17 at 6:04 pm

They should go back to their roots when most of the videos were shots of people lighting their farts.

Written By: Dude111 on 08/29/17 at 6:56 pm

Because everything gets worse FOR NO BLOODY REASON!!!

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 08/29/17 at 7:07 pm

I just checked the YouTube site and yep, they rebranded. New logo, new layout and theme. It's not horrible but the site has just gotten more bland and even more sleek.

I feel the same thing. YouTube has been corrupted since they made the site less free and they made it more about money. You could find less creative people nowadays, since YouTube puts in a rather crappy formula for people that just wanna be like PewDiePie or something. For me, that's sad because now I can't really do anything happy on the site, bu I guess that's how business goes for the greedy people at Google.

Written By: annimal on 08/29/17 at 7:12 pm

because 10 years is 100 years old these days.  Where have you been?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/29/17 at 7:22 pm

I feel the same thing. YouTube has been corrupted since they made the site less free and they made it more about money. You could find less creative people nowadays, since YouTube puts in a rather crappy formula for people that just wanna be like PewDiePie or something. For me, that's sad because now I can't really do anything happy on the site, bu I guess that's how business goes for the greedy people at Google.

That's how most big corporations and companies are today. It's sad.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/29/17 at 7:56 pm

I was just on the YouTube comment section and the comment section literally looks and feels...barren. They removed all forms of shapes and borders and you have a completely white background and it's starting to weird me out a bit.

YouTube has regressed back to the VERY early days of the Web in terms of Web design (1991-1993).

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/29/17 at 8:41 pm

They made the YouTube color a bright red that can strain your eye sight. What's even more frustrating, the good ol' dark red has been transferred to YouTube TV.

I blame the idiocy of the original owners who sold YouTube to Google in the first place. That's where at all started. This is why nostalgia is a f** good thing.

You would think that the original owners would already have made more than what they needed off of YouTube alone.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 08/29/17 at 9:24 pm

That's how most big corporations and companies are today. It's sad.

To be fair, even if most big corporations are like that, there are some that could do some charitable good in the world. But sadly, that's not really the case since they only care about bringing services to people who could afford their crap.

They made the YouTube color a bright red that can strain your eye sight. What's even more frustrating, the good ol' dark red has been transferred to YouTube TV.

I blame the idiocy of the original owners who sold YouTube to Google in the first place. That's where at all started. This is why nostalgia is a f** good thing.

You would think that the original owners would already have made more than what they needed off of YouTube alone.

Except most of YouTube's greatest tactics came after Google bought them. I mean, a lot of people started to visit the site in 2006, the year Google bought them. People actually liked the site before 2013, where Google+ features was forced into our mouths and we had to use it to access YouTube's stuff at the time. Now it's just all over the place and nobody can't enjoy watching videos as they used to, thanks to the site turning into a corporate nightmare with terrible recommendations and shady clickbait videos.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/29/17 at 9:34 pm

Except most of YouTube's greatest tactics came after Google bought them. I mean, a lot of people started to visit the site in 2006, the year Google bought them. People actually liked the site before 2013, where Google+ features was forced into our mouths and we had to use it to access YouTube's stuff at the time. Now it's just all over the place and nobody can't enjoy watching videos as they used to, thanks to the site turning into a corporate nightmare with terrible recommendations and shady clickbait videos.

Nah. YouTube would have peaked anyway. That's why Google claimed it so early. They knew what was up. I didn't even know Google owned the site until around 2012. I would have really liked to see what the original owners would have done with the site.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/29/17 at 10:16 pm

Do people actually hate it? I don't mind it. I like the old logo a lot more but I can get used to this one. I think it was about time to change the layout as they haven't changed the desktop layout significantly in 4 years. The only thing that annoys me is this flat colourful design trend is still in fashion, I hope that dies very soon as we've had that since 2008/2009. Anyways it is what it is.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/29/17 at 10:18 pm

I think they are the opposite of idiots. Google gave them a ton of money so it is understandable why they sold it. They are probably living in a mansion next to the beach now instead of needing to work hard on maintaining a website for the rest of their life. Plus they would not have ever known YouTube would be as big as it is today. I also wish they wouldn't have sold it to Google as it may have been a lot better than it is now, but I do understand why they did it.

Written By: 2001 on 08/29/17 at 10:31 pm

I was just on the YouTube comment section and the comment section literally looks and feels...barren. They removed all forms of shapes and borders and you have a completely white background and it's starting to weird me out a bit.

YouTube has regressed back to the VERY early days of the Web in terms of Web design (1991-1993).

I was hoping by "barren" you would mean that no one was commenting anymore. You got my hopes up.  >:(

Written By: Slim95 on 08/29/17 at 10:48 pm

People actually liked the site before 2013, where Google+ features was forced into our mouths and we had to use it to access YouTube's stuff at the time. Now it's just all over the place and nobody can't enjoy watching videos as they used to, thanks to the site turning into a corporate nightmare with terrible recommendations and shady clickbait videos.

That is not true. Me and various of others complained about the site in 2011 and 2012. It no longer had the classic layout and fun videos were being replaced with mediocre money-hungry videos. 2011 and even 2010 was not part of the classic YouTube era... The classic YouTube era was 2005 - 2009. 2007 - 2009 were the golden years of YouTube in terms of content and quality. YouTube started having its fair share of problems long before the Google Plus crisis happened. In fact, the Google Plus situation feels like yesterday to me.

Nah. YouTube would have peaked anyway. That's why Google claimed it so early. They knew what was up. I didn't even know Google owned the site until around 2012. I would have really liked to see what the original owners would have done with the site.

I do agree YouTube would have went on fine without Google. Before Google bought them out, YouTube was still the largest video sharing site on the internet and it was growing in popularity quickly.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/29/17 at 10:51 pm

I think they are the opposite of idiots. Google gave them a ton of money so it is understandable why they sold it. They are probably living in a mansion next to the beach now instead of needing to work hard on maintaining a website for the rest of their life. Plus they would not have ever known YouTube would be as big as it is today. I also wish they wouldn't have sold it to Google as it may have been a lot better than it is now, but I do understand why they did it.

I see now, man. Better to see the site expand as possible then cut short over budgets.

The YouTube alternatives will never work for me. I don't know. They need more progression.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/29/17 at 10:57 pm

I see now, man. Better to see the site expand as possible then cut short over budgets.

Yeah but I do agree YouTube would have not only survived but also thrived without Google as it was gaining so much popularity which is why Google had its eyes on them in the first place. I understand why the owners did what they did, but with a little effort and hard work at this point they would have over 5 times the money Google gave them if they kept YouTube as their own.  :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/29/17 at 11:07 pm

I was hoping by "barren" you would mean that no one was commenting anymore. You got my hopes up.  >:(

LOL, my bad :P.

It still feels "barren" though.

Written By: Howard on 08/30/17 at 5:24 am

I was just on there yesterday, and I saw the old logo. It seems they just did that this morning. I'm not sure if it was a good idea, but I have a feeling it means that they want to start fresh, and probably target a new audience.

I think they want to target a younger audience.

Written By: Howard on 08/30/17 at 5:28 am

To be fair, even if most big corporations are like that, there are some that could do some charitable good in the world. But sadly, that's not really the case since they only care about bringing services to people who could afford their crap.

I agree.

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 08/30/17 at 9:11 am

I really think YouTube could do better,but everything is too corporate now.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/30/17 at 3:15 pm

Today I saw the new layout (still had the old layout yesterday) and I don't mind it a lot. It does look a little more plain than the old layout, however it does look a little more modern. One thing I miss is when the title of videos was on the top instead of the bottom, I wish they put it back on the top but whatever. Overall the change isn't very radical, other than the logo of course. The dark mode is a nice touch. Not too terrible overall.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/30/17 at 3:24 pm

Today I saw the new layout (still had the old layout yesterday) and I don't mind it a lot. It does look a little more plain than the old layout, however it does look a little more modern. One thing I miss is when the title of videos was on the top instead of the bottom, I wish they put it back on the top but whatever. Overall the change isn't very radical, other than the logo of course. The dark mode is a nice touch. Not too terrible overall.

The layout feels like it's a website from 1991 or something. It's like a barren wasteland...I absolutely despite this emerging trend by companies and web designers to make their sites as sleek, bland, border less and shapeless as possible. It's almost nauseating to me 8-P.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/30/17 at 4:37 pm

That is not true. Me and various of others complained about the site in 2011 and 2012. It no longer had the classic layout and fun videos were being replaced with mediocre money-hungry videos. 2011 and even 2010 was not part of the classic YouTube era... The classic YouTube era was 2005 - 2009. 2007 - 2009 were the golden years of YouTube in terms of content and quality. YouTube started having its fair share of problems long before the Google Plus crisis happened. In fact, the Google Plus situation feels like yesterday to me.

I agree, I remembering the big complaints about YouTube began around late 2009(?) when they greatly overhauled their layout. This new layout moved a bunch of things around and removed the stars, replacing them with likes/dislikes which have remained in place since.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 08/30/17 at 6:03 pm

I agree, I remembering the big complaints about YouTube began around late 2009(?) when they greatly overhauled their layout. This new layout moved a bunch of things around and removed the stars, replacing them with likes/dislikes which have remained in place since.

I didn't really have problems with YouTube until 2012ish. Google+ can burn in hell for all I care, even though it's not really as powerful as it used to be two years ago.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/30/17 at 6:08 pm

I didn't really have problems with YouTube until 2012ish. Google+ can burn in hell for all I care, even though it's not really as powerful as it used to be two years ago.
Same here, except that I didn't have any issues with it until 2014. From 2006 to 2009 I constantly watched videos all day with 2010 to 2013 being sometimes. Since then, I have been on YouTube occasionally.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/30/17 at 6:32 pm

The new Youtube logo looks bland.  :-\\

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 08/30/17 at 6:43 pm

Same here, except that I didn't have any issues with it until 2014. From 2006 to 2009 I constantly watched videos all day with 2010 to 2013 being sometimes. Since then, I have been on YouTube occasionally.

I used to love watching YouTube videos every day after school during the late 2000s/very early 2010s. But it started to dwell down a little when 2013 came, which made me to dislike the site ever since.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/17 at 7:14 am

I really think YouTube could do better,but everything is too corporate now.

and now with YouTube they also want you to sign up with Google Plus. ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/31/17 at 7:16 am

I think after 12 years they needed a change.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/17 at 7:18 am

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kkyQlMKYo2Q/maxresdefault.jpg

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/17 at 10:00 am

YouTube actually allows you to switch back to the layout they had before this new, updated one. So I did just that and in other words "We back in here fam!" ;D.

They also allow you say why you are reverting back and so I did just that. I told them to add more color and made it less bland.

YouTube does have a "dark mode" which I hear that many people prefer over the new bland, white "regular" layout.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/17 at 2:32 pm

YouTube actually allows you to switch back to the layout they had before this new, updated one. So I did just that and in other words "We back in here fam!" ;D.

They also allow you say why you are reverting back and so I did just that. I told them to add more color and made it less bland.

YouTube does have a "dark mode" which I hear that many people prefer over the new bland, white "regular" layout.

There's one where you can change the layout to black so that you can watch the videos in "dark mode" from what expert David Pogue said in a recent tutorial.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/17 at 3:52 pm

There's one where you can change the layout to black so that you can watch the videos in "dark mode" from what expert David Pogue said in a recent tutorial.

Yes....that's literally exactly what I said (you even bolded/highlighted it).

Written By: 2001 on 08/31/17 at 4:12 pm

So I got to look at the rebranding today. I actually really like this redesign. The previous design attempted to be both sleek and cartoonish at the same time, and it just didn't mesh. It seems now they've opted to go in the 'sleek' direction and I think they pulled it off well.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/17 at 4:25 pm

So I got to look at the rebranding today. I actually really like this redesign. The previous design attempted to be both sleek and cartoonish at the same time, and it just didn't mesh. It seems now they've opted to go in the 'sleek' direction and I think they pulled it off well.

The new design is too sleek and bland for me 8-P.

I'm glad that they allow us to switch back and I'm glad I did.

Written By: temaichi on 08/31/17 at 5:02 pm

I noticed this too & why the hell would they change such an iconic logo?? :-[

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 08/31/17 at 5:05 pm

I noticed this too & why the hell would they change such an iconic logo?? :-[

Frankly, YouTube is not the same anymore. I was upset when they changed their logo, but the site hasn't been great since 2014. That's when they should've changed their logo, since it's not about the average person anymore. It's about business and money, thanks to Google's greedy tactics.  :\'(

Written By: temaichi on 08/31/17 at 5:15 pm

I`m sorry to disappoint you but i`ve been a YouTuber since 2011 and seen the website change alot and they always do that everytime they do a major design change to the website. I remember they did that in late 2011 & 2013 where you could revert it back to it`s classic look but they`ll get rid of that as soon as possible. All they want now is feedback.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/17 at 5:17 pm

I`m sorry to disappoint you but i`ve been a YouTuber since 2011 and seen the website change alot and they always do that everytime they do a major design change to the website. I remember they did that in late 2011 & 2013 where you could revert it back to it`s classic look but they`ll get rid of that as soon as possible. All they want now is feedback.

I've had a YouTube account since 2012 and I've been using YouTube since about 2006/2007...so I know all of that already.

Written By: temaichi on 08/31/17 at 5:18 pm

Frankly, YouTube is not the same anymore. I was upset when they changed their logo, but the site hasn't been great since 2014. That's when they should've changed their logo, since it's not about the average person anymore. It's about business and money, thanks to Google's greedy tactics.  :\'(

That`s true. It`s all about clickbaiting now in order to win the views.
You can`t even make as much money as before on YouTube because many advertisers has left the site such as Pepsi, Coca-Cola, etc.

Written By: Howard on 09/01/17 at 3:11 pm

I'm getting used to it.

Written By: Howard on 09/01/17 at 3:12 pm

I think I might switch back myself once I start getting tired of the new design.

Written By: Howard on 09/01/17 at 3:13 pm

I've had a YouTube account since 2012 and I've been using YouTube since about 2006/2007...so I know all of that already.

I've had a YouTube account for 11 years.

Check for new replies or respond here...