inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Pitbull over?

Written By: bchris02 on 08/30/17 at 12:43 am

He seemed to make an appearance in almost every popular party song in the early and mid '10s.  Then around 2015 he kind of fell out of popularity.  He came out with a new album this year but don't think I am familiar with any of the songs on it.  Do you think Mr. Worldwide is finished or do you think he's just in a lull and will come back to prominence with a future album?

Subject: Re: Is Pitbull over?

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/30/17 at 1:13 am

"Options" was pretty big this year.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/30/17 at 1:25 am

Well, you never really know. Artists as random as Shaggy, John Legend, and Lil Jon made brief commercial comebacks in the mid-2010s, so maybe Pitbull could score another decent hit in the future if he pairs up with a trendy DJ or singer and contributes a rap verse to the track.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/30/17 at 1:25 am

Don't let Jordan hear you.  :-X ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/30/17 at 5:33 am

Pitbull is here to stay. Anywhere he performs, the chicks swoon and throw their underwear up on stage. He's the modern day, Latino, Tom Jones.

https://1k95i3bqziq3bboq03r87f8x-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/GettyImages-133687077-e1475673655772.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 08/30/17 at 12:36 pm

Both Pitbull and Kesha are dead and buried and have been for a long time.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/30/17 at 1:04 pm

Kesha is merely on her way out, like Gaga and Perry. People have bought her new album and "Praying" has done respectably on the charts, but she's not nearly as massive anymore as she was throughout the early 2010s.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/30/17 at 1:21 pm

Kesha is merely on her way out, like Gaga and Perry. People have bought her new album and "Praying" has done respectably on the charts, but she's not nearly as massive anymore as she was throughout the early 2010s.

Like Gaga did, Kesha seems to have went in a more mature, serious direction with her latest album.  That's something that hasn't worked well for early '10s electropop artists.  Their fun, catchy dance songs and club anthems made them popular.  It definitely seems like their more mature, personal songs have not been as successful as their earlier stuff.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 08/30/17 at 10:40 pm

No! Of course not! Climate Change is going to go down as the biggest album of the year. He's not even past his peak, yet.

Pitbull is here to stay. Anywhere he performs, the chicks swoon and throw their underwear up on stage. He's the modern day, Latino, Tom Jones.

https://1k95i3bqziq3bboq03r87f8x-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/GettyImages-133687077-e1475673655772.jpg

I agree, Mr. Worldwide isn't going anywhere. He continues to remain relevant and successful even with today's changing musical landscape.

Nice try but everyone knows Pitbull and Kesha are on fire. ::)

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/31/17 at 8:58 pm

Are Gaga and Perry actually on their way out? I must admit I don't know much about the economics (politics?) of popular music today.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/31/17 at 10:06 pm

Yeah, I think so. Don't get me wrong. Yeah, Pitbull is still making music (and always will until he retires or gets left behind) but honestly, he's not as mainstream as he used to be. In fact, I haven't heard any of his songs in these last 3 years!

Like Gaga did, Kesha seems to have gone in a more mature, serious direction with her latest album.  That's something that hasn't worked well for early '10s electro-pop artists.  Their fun, catchy dance songs and club anthems made them popular.  It definitely seems like their more mature, personal songs have not been as successful as their earlier stuff.
I totally agree. Kesha is not as mainstream as much anymore due to her lawsuit against her record label, and that she is getting older. I haven't listened to her new song yet, but I can tell it's doing very well, and it's even much different than the song she was featured in with Pitbull.

As for the others, I agree as well. The early '10s electro-pop artists haven't been doing well as before ever since the music scene changed. Now that it's changing again, hopefully, they can all make a comeback with their new sound.

Are Gaga and Perry actually on their way out? I must admit I don't know much about the economics (politics?) of popular music today.
Not yet. They're still in the game, and I know they will make a great comeback.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/31/17 at 10:14 pm

^^^ I completely agree.  I think the big three (Gaga, Ke$ha, and Perry) are still in the game but now is their time to make a comeback.  If we get to 2019 and beyond, it will become less likely they will ever be as relevant again as they were at the start of this decade.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/31/17 at 10:26 pm

^^^ I completely agree.  I think the big three (Gaga, Ke$ha, and Perry) are still in the game but now is their time to make a comeback.  If we get to 2019 and beyond, it will become less likely they will ever be as relevant again as they were at the start of this decade.
Yeah, I hope they all do that. If Britney can do it, so can they! So far, I've seen that Gaga is doing lots of tours and shows these days that it can definitely help propel her comeback. The other two not so much; however, I know they can do it!

Check for new replies or respond here...