inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why classic game consoles games are still fun

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 08/30/17 at 9:15 am

Don't get me wrong I love my ps4,but why do classic games still seem really fun like I was playing my ps2 and I was really enjoying some of those games more than my ps4 games I just feel the older games were more about fun anybody else.

Subject: Re: Why classic game consoles games are still fun

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/30/17 at 9:38 am

Totally agree, though I don't consider the PlayStation 2 to be retro myself but that's just because I'm old.

Retro gaming is totally better though. And I say this as somebody who does have a PlayStation 4 and uses it quite often. There's just something about the Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, etc. that I still like more. Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe it's the fact that the games are more simplistic and easier to pick and play, which is important for me since I'm much busier now. But, either way, I prefer retro gaming.

Subject: Why classic game consoles games are still fun

Written By: Dude111 on 08/30/17 at 1:57 pm

In my opinion the only GOOD games made were made in the early 80s....

Arcade
Atari 2600
Colecovision

Commodore 64 also has some good games on it....

Written By: wixness on 08/30/17 at 2:33 pm

Online multiplayer on older consoles wasn't as big of a thing then and games were not like interactive movies, both due to hardware restrictions.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/17 at 7:22 am

people just like nostalgia and I'm one of them plus you can play those retro games from a computer.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/31/17 at 12:43 pm

Totally agree, though I don't consider the PlayStation 2 to be retro myself but that's just because I'm old.

Retro gaming is totally better though. And I say this as somebody who does have a PlayStation 4 and uses it quite often. There's just something about the Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, etc. that I still like more. Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe it's the fact that the games are more simplistic and easier to pick and play, which is important for me since I'm much busier now. But, either way, I prefer retro gaming.

PS2 is so old the PS4 and Sony gamers consider it retro now since the PSN store has a "PS2 classics section".

As for gaming I'm more of a fan of Arcade-esque style games which was mainly popular in previous gens (I'm referring to console/handheld games that you can just pick up and play such as Sonic the Hedgehog or Donkey Kong Country). Games nowadays are getting so big that before I can get to the fun parts I got to go through long tutorials and drawn out stories among other things before I get to the real meat. Now I can enjoy bigger games, but I prefer a mix. It's why I like the 5th and 6th gens so much. For the PS2 in specific you'd have easy pic up and play games like Sly Cooper or Devil May Cry where you either do some platformer or go around and beat up stuff. And then you'd also have games like Kingdom Hearts or Dark Cloud where it's more RPG like.

Actually now that I think about it the reason I prefer older consoles is mostly due to variety. There was a bit of everything. PS2 had about every genre you can think of and a ton you've never heard of before. PS4 just needs more variety.

This is a very biased meme image, but it somewhat sums up how I feel.
https://pics.me.me/dd-dddddd-doddddddddodddddddo-ps1-ps2-ps3-ps4-i-miss-the-5234652.png

Written By: Howard on 08/31/17 at 2:30 pm

PS2 is so old the PS4 and Sony gamers consider it retro now since the PSN store has a "PS2 classics section".

As for gaming I'm more of a fan of Arcade-esque style games which was mainly popular in previous gens (I'm referring to console/handheld games that you can just pick up and play such as Sonic the Hedgehog or Donkey Kong Country). Games nowadays are getting so big that before I can get to the fun parts I got to go through long tutorials and drawn out stories among other things before I get to the real meat. Now I can enjoy bigger games, but I prefer a mix. It's why I like the 5th and 6th gens so much. For the PS2 in specific you'd have easy pic up and play games like Sly Cooper or Devil May Cry where you either do some platformer or go around and beat up stuff. And then you'd also have games like Kingdom Hearts or Dark Cloud where it's more RPG like.

Actually now that I think about it the reason I prefer older consoles is mostly due to variety. There was a bit of everything. PS2 had about every genre you can think of and a ton you've never heard of before. PS4 just needs more variety.

https://pics.me.me/dd-dddddd-doddddddddodddddddo-ps1-ps2-ps3-ps4-i-miss-the-5234652.png

Can the PS3 be considered retro or not yet? ???

Written By: violet_shy on 08/31/17 at 2:36 pm

We still have our Playstation 2, and use it whenever people in my family get the chance to. I don't use it anymore, I don't have the time for it sadly. I did play some classic Super Mario games recently with my nephews but I don't even have the time for THAT. Not like the way I use to when I was in my teens and 20s.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/17 at 2:56 pm

We still have our Playstation 2, and use it whenever people in my family get the chance to. I don't use it anymore, I don't have the time for it sadly. I did play some classic Super Mario games recently with my nephews but I don't even have the time for THAT. Not like the way I use to when I was in my teens and 20s.

I had a Playstation 2 a couple of years ago but I traded it in for a PS3.

Written By: 2001 on 08/31/17 at 4:20 pm

I thought by classic, this thread was going to be about the 1980s and 1990s, haha.

I haven't played many PS4 games, so I can't really say. There were a lot of great PS2 games though. Which ones were you playing?

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 08/31/17 at 5:05 pm

Well some of the ps2 games I still play are GTA San Andreas,GTA vice city, final fantasy x,street fighter,persona 2, Dragonball z budokia tenchaichi,and madden 03 etc....

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/31/17 at 6:04 pm

Can the PS3 be considered retro or not yet? ???

Not yet, but it's getting there. From what I've noticed an console genre becomes retro when the gen that is 2 gens later passes through its peak. For example the 3rd gen was considered retro by the late 1990s when the PS1, Saturn, and N64 were the talk of the town. The 5th gen became retro during the peak of the 7th gen and you even saw N64 games and PS1 games be available on the Nintendo Wii Shop Channel and Playstation Store. he 8th gen is coming to an end soon and the 6th gen is reaching retro status. Sega has released a Sega forever app thing that allows for even Dreamcast games. Nintendo Gamecube games are available on the current Nintendo Eshop. PS2 games are within "Ps2 classics section" on the PS4 store. And original Xbox games are going to be playable on the Xbox one. We've reached a point where the current game industry considers 6th gen games as old classics which helps push them to a retro status.

The Ps3 will soon join in by the time the 9th console gen is well into its peak years which will be within the early 2020s.

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/31/17 at 6:33 pm

You're missing out on a ton of great games for the PS4. It's library is a vast improvement over the mediocre casualized, cover shooter-centric PS3 library.

Written By: wixness on 08/31/17 at 6:34 pm

people just like nostalgia and I'm one of them plus you can play those retro games from a computer.

But muh copyrights, especially if you want to play a game using emulators that works better on consoles or is only available on consoles.

Written By: Howard on 09/01/17 at 3:09 pm

Not yet, but it's getting there. From what I've noticed an console genre becomes retro when the gen that is 2 gens later passes through its peak. For example the 3rd gen was considered retro by the late 1990s when the PS1, Saturn, and N64 were the talk of the town. The 5th gen became retro during the peak of the 7th gen and you even saw N64 games and PS1 games be available on the Nintendo Wii Shop Channel and Playstation Store. he 8th gen is coming to an end soon and the 6th gen is reaching retro status. Sega has released a Sega forever app thing that allows for even Dreamcast games. Nintendo Gamecube games are available on the current Nintendo Eshop. PS2 games are within "Ps2 classics section" on the PS4 store. And original Xbox games are going to be playable on the Xbox one. We've reached a point where the current game industry considers 6th gen games as old classics which helps push them to a retro status.

The Ps3 will soon join in by the time the 9th console gen is well into its peak years which will be within the early 2020s.

besides me, do people still own a PS3?  ???

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/01/17 at 5:19 pm

besides me, do people still own a PS3?  ???

I still do. A lot of Sony fans still do. The PS4 isn't backwards compatible with the PS3 (I may be wrong) so people keep their PS3's for the quality games. PS3 sold 80+ Million units. I'm sure people still keep it.

Written By: Howard on 09/01/17 at 5:55 pm

I still do. A lot of Sony fans still do. The PS4 isn't backwards compatible with the PS3 (I may be wrong) so people keep their PS3's for the quality games. PS3 sold 80+ Million units. I'm sure people still keep it.

What apps do you have on your PS3? ???

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/02/17 at 4:45 pm

What apps do you have on your PS3? ???

I don't put apps on my PS3. I mainly just played games on my PS3. The only other feature I got was netflix, but I rarely used it on my PS3.

Written By: Howard on 09/03/17 at 3:06 pm

I don't put apps on my PS3. I mainly just played games on my PS3. The only other feature I got was netflix, but I rarely used it on my PS3.

I have Netflix, Crackle, Playstation Store and a few others as well.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/03/17 at 6:51 pm

This is because most (about half) of the games for the PS4 are digital. I just bought hard copies because they were cheaper on Amazon. I did have ton of games for the PS3, and only 10 on the PS2 (I didn't really get into PS2 until 2007, before that I had a big collection for the Gamecube). I miss the PS1, those were some classics. Also the N64 which I had 10 games for.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/03/17 at 7:33 pm

The PS2 is definitely still fun with the likes of Def Jam: Fight For New York alone.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/04/17 at 12:37 am

Don't get me wrong I love my ps4,but why do classic games still seem really fun like I was playing my ps2 and I was really enjoying some of those games more than my ps4 games I just feel the older games were more about fun anybody else.

I would hardly call a PS2 a classic. Now an SNES, sure! There's lots of fun playing simpler side scroll games where you start one place, and end at another and don't have to wander here and there and back or get lost trying to complete a quest.

Older PS2 games were just the beginning of what we have now.

PS4 isn't that old yet either. I don't have one yet, but then again I'm not the type to buy so many games they fill up a storage space.

The PS2 is definitely still fun with the likes of Def Jam: Fight For New York alone.

I remember the old fighting games! PS2 was good for those! I recall how me and another girl would have Soul Calibur competitions where half of it was getting our custom character designed just so, and the other half getting getting mad at each other while playing it. Sometimes those sessions ended with her storming out the room! Good times.  ;D :o

Written By: Howard on 09/04/17 at 2:53 pm

I used to own a PS2 long time ago but I gave that away cause I wanted a PS3 instead as an upgrade.

Written By: 2001 on 09/23/17 at 11:37 pm

The best fighting game on the PS2 was hands down the Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi games. :D

Soul Calibur was good too. I also played some Dead or Alive on the Xbox.  :-[

Was not a huge fan of God of War though.  8-P

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/24/17 at 10:04 am

The best fighting game on the PS2 was hands down the Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi games. :D

Soul Calibur was good too. I also played some Dead or Alive on the Xbox.  :-[

Was not a huge fan of God of War though.  8-P

ALL OF THIS. Especially Soul Calibur, I used to play the Gamecube port at my friends house all time! (the one with my boy the hero of time slaying dudes like no tomorrow 8)).

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/24/17 at 2:56 pm

Can Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox original be considered "classic" now? They're nearly 20 years old.

Written By: Howard on 09/25/17 at 7:05 am

Can Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox original be considered "classic" now? They're nearly 20 years old.

I guess so.

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/25/17 at 11:14 pm

Classic game consoles are still fun because they were just a pop in 'n' play affair. I still play my PS1 to this day because the games were simple, but fun. No always-online, no microtransactions, no forced installs. All consoles up to the Xbox 360/Wii were like this. I never had an ethernet cable for my 360 for about 4 years after I got it, so I couldn't go online at all. Yet all my 360 games work fine and run smoothly with most of the necessary content and split-screen. DLC is available if you choose to connect your system to the Internet(it has been since the Sega Channel on Genesis), but never mandatory just to play the game.
The original Xbox and Xbox 360 were the first and now the only video game consoles with that perfect balance between a featureful online experience, without compromising offline play.

The PS3-onwards combined a stable online interface with built in WiFi, allowing devs to skimp out on actually finishing their games with the belief that they could just patch it later on. Not to mention all the online only games now.

Written By: Howard on 09/26/17 at 7:17 am

Classic game consoles are still fun because they were just a pop in 'n' play affair. I still play my PS1 to this day because the games were simple, but fun. No always-online, no microtransactions, no forced installs. All consoles up to the Xbox 360/Wii were like this. I never had an ethernet cable for my 360 for about 4 years after I got it, so I couldn't go online at all. Yet all my 360 games work fine and run smoothly with most of the necessary content and split-screen. DLC is available if you choose to connect your system to the Internet(it has been since the Sega Channel on Genesis), but never mandatory just to play the game.
The original Xbox and Xbox 360 were the first and now the only video game consoles with that perfect balance between a featureful online experience, without compromising offline play.

The PS3-onwards combined a stable online interface with built in WiFi, allowing devs to skimp out on actually finishing their games with the belief that they could just patch it later on. Not to mention all the online only games now.

Back in the days, classic game consoles were definitely fun. You just popped in a game and you played right away without a waiting period.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/26/17 at 5:22 pm

I'm seeing Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox games being seen as "classic/retro" in quite a few places. Youtube reviews on games like Metroid Prime, Sonic Adventure 2, Luigi's Mansion, Super Smash Bros Melee, Shenmue, Jet Set Radio etc all being seen as classic or retro.

And like I've mentioned before the companies that made them see them as retro. Microsoft and Xbox fans refer to the original Xbox as the "OG Xbox" and Microsoft bringing back OG Xbox games to be played on the Xbox One has gotten a lot of people hyped. Sony has a "PS2 Classics" section their online Playstation store and we all already know that everyone and their mother knows just how well loved the Playstation 2 is. Nintendo has Gameboy Advance games available on the Virtual console and even acknowledged how old those games are by remaking Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga for the Nintendo 3DS (them noticing that there is now early 00's nostalgia). And Gamecube games are hitting virtual console as well.

Right now all 6th gen consoles are enter 20+ with the Dreamcast being 19, PS2 being 17, Gamecube/GBA/Xbox being 16. And we'll be entering the 9th gen peak by 2019-2020 which will put the 6th gen at 20 years and 3 console gens behind. The fact that they're becoming "retro classics" is obvious at this point.

Check for new replies or respond here...