inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I actually get excited when I discover a new pop song I like...

Written By: bchris02 on 08/31/17 at 12:48 am

I am 32 and I don't have much longer that pop music will appeal to me period.  I've already found that it moves me much less than it did when I was in my early/mid twenties.  Some of it might be my circumstances but the true reason is I am fast approaching the age when people typically stop listening to new pop music.  Because I greatly fear aging, discovering a new pop song I like actually makes me feel great because the number of times that will happen for me are numbered.

Subject: Re: I actually get excited when I discover a new pop song I like...

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/31/17 at 12:49 pm

I am 32 and I don't have much longer that pop music will appeal to me period.  I've already found that it moves me much less than it did when I was in my early/mid twenties.  Some of it might be my circumstances but the true reason is I am fast approaching the age when people typically stop listening to new pop music.  Because I greatly fear aging, discovering a new pop song I like actually makes me feel great because the number of times that will happen for me are numbered.

I'm waiting for Pop music to get a new sound/vibe. But by the time that happens I may be too old to care. As for myself I also get excited when I find new music that I like. I mainly blame the Top 40 radio for the kind of music we have to listen to.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/31/17 at 2:06 pm

I'm waiting for Pop music to get a new sound/vibe. But by the time that happens I may be too old to care. As for myself I also get excited when I find new music that I like. I mainly blame the Top 40 radio for the kind of music we have to listen to.

Yeah I feel the same way.  I feel like I am fast approaching the "end of the road" for pop music.  I feel like I am going to have to throw it in with things like binge drinking, all-nighters, and being able to like and relate to teen/young adult movies.  Most people my age and even younger have already stopped listening to today's pop music.  I am sure a part of that is the dismal state of it, but its a good question if it's really that bad or if at my age I am just too old to get it.  A friend of mine who is a few years younger than me still likes modern pop music, including Ariana Grande.

Getting old sucks especially when you didn't get what you wanted out of your younger years.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/17 at 2:24 pm

Yeah I feel the same way.  I feel like I am fast approaching the "end of the road" for pop music.  I feel like I am going to have to throw it in with things like binge drinking, all-nighters, and being able to like and relate to teen/young adult movies.  Most people my age and even younger have already stopped listening to today's pop music.  I am sure a part of that is the dismal state of it, but its a good question if it's really that bad or if at my age I am just too old to get it.  A friend of mine who is a few years younger than me still likes modern pop music, including Ariana Grande.

Getting old sucks especially when you didn't get what you wanted out of your younger years.

Yes it does.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 08/31/17 at 6:10 pm

Let me guess, is that "friend" who likes pop music a rabid bible-thumping social conservative?
It seems as though the only people drawn to today's utterly pathetic Top 40 music are far-right religious conservatives. Note I didn't say Republicans, because some Republicans are socially moderate and actually have a fully functional music ear.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/31/17 at 6:12 pm

Ugh, I know what you mean. The fact that you'd have to pull an all-nighter and binge drink to make your ears listen to current pop is a bit scary. What I think we need is for adult contemporary pop music to hit the spot light again. From what people have told me in the 1980s - early 2000s Adult contemp. music was a popular as it allowed for a sort of pop music that appealed to an older audience. We still have Adult contemporary music, but is isn't like how it used to be and isn't as popular anymore.  Pop music is usually just for the young audience. Adult contemporary isn't a genre, but rather a description for certain music that is meant to appeal to adults. Think of it as pop music for people that have grown out of pop music.

Let me guess, is that "friend" who likes pop music a rabid bible-thumping social conservative?
It seems as though the only people drawn to today's utterly pathetic Top 40 music are far-right religious conservatives. Note I didn't say Republicans, because some Republicans are socially moderate and actually have a fully functional music ear.

The hell? Don't bring ridiculous political stuff into a thread about pop music (unless the original poster asked for it).

Written By: bchris02 on 08/31/17 at 7:08 pm

Ugh, I know what you mean. The fact that you'd have to pull an all-nighter and binge drink to make your ears listen to current pop is a bit scary. What I think we need is for adult contemporary pop music to hit the spot light again. From what people have told me in the 1980s - early 2000s Adult contemp. music was a popular as it allowed for a sort of pop music that appealed to an older audience. We still have Adult contemporary music, but is isn't like how it used to be and isn't as popular anymore.  Pop music is usually just for the young audience. Adult contemporary isn't a genre, but rather a description for certain music that is meant to appeal to adults. Think of it as pop music for people that have grown out of pop music.

I agree about Adult Contemporary.  It used to be a subgenre of pop aimed at older audience.  They played some current Top 40 combined with popular hits of the past few decades as well as new music by past-peak artists that were generally ignored by Top 40 stations.  Today, it's basically just where you go to listen to last year's hits.

Written By: 2001 on 08/31/17 at 8:03 pm

Between the ages of 13-18 I didn't care for pop music. I started getting into it when I was 19-22ish because of parties, but fell out of it again. I associate "youthfulness" with listening to my rebellious rock and metal music, I don't think I'll ever grow out of it ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 08/31/17 at 8:14 pm

I like Despacito. But I wish mainstream would target older audiences, like over age 17.

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/31/17 at 8:22 pm

I like Despacito. But I wish mainstream would target older audiences, like over age 17.

Christ I hate that song. It's so fake.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/31/17 at 8:25 pm

Isn't it about sex??  ???

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/17 at 8:36 pm

Fake...how? ???

Isn't it about sex??  ???

Basically yeah. That doesn't make it fake though.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/17 at 8:36 pm

zxPvW9Q1E_U

Thoughts?

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/31/17 at 8:55 pm

It's funny - I spent the better part of a decade and a half despising pop music. Right around the time I got introduced to Linkin Park, Disturbed, Evanescence and lostprophets (c. 2002), it was over for me, no more BSB or Smash Mouth for me. Then this past year and the election happened, and I started to wax nostalgic for all the dance pop and radio hits I rejected out of hand for the last eight years. Some time soon I'll plan to share the Spotify playlist I made as my obsession took hold.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/31/17 at 10:07 pm

I think the one thing is that pop music matters whether you like it or not.  If you are ages 13-24, pop music is your generation's music and is part of your generational identity.  Even if you despise pop music, you know many of the songs because if you have a social life at all you are around them.  From age 25 to their early 30s, most people start to branch out a little more in terms of music or revert back to what they were listening to as teens and early twentysomethings when they were coming of age.  Pop music slowly becomes less important in their lives.  Most people don't just stop listening to pop music suddenly.  It's more of a slow process as they find less and less of the new music to be palatable.  Then there are those who continue listening to new music but for them, they don't have the connection with it that they did when they were younger and it was their music.  And while they may like some of it it will always be their kids' music.

This is where I feel like I'm at now.  I am in that process of losing connection to pop music and becoming one of those old people who complain about how today's music is garbage compared to what it was a couple of decades ago.  Most people my age are already there, especially those who have children.  It is statistically proven that people who have children young stop listening to pop music a good 4-5 years earlier than those who stay childless.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/01/17 at 1:41 am

Fake...how? ???
Basically yeah. That doesn't make it fake though.

I'm guessing Shemp97 meant that there are better Latin pop songs, but some people are jumping on the
bandwagon just because the song is popular now. Hence the 'fake'. Maybe Shemp meant that some
people are fake.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/01/17 at 4:55 am

I know what you mean. Any time that Ke$ha comes out with a new song, I get all tingly in the giblets.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/01/17 at 8:24 am

Imagine how myself and other people my age feel. We are experiencing this decade through our adolescence/youth. There is no guarantee that the '20s will be any better for music.

At least you were able to experience the '90s  , which I believe is the last great decade for music.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/01/17 at 10:01 am

Imagine how myself and other people my age feel. We are experiencing this decade through our adolescence/youth. There is no guarantee that the '20s will be any better for music.

At least you were able to experience the '90s  , which I believe is the last great decade for music.

I'm 15 and I think this decade has awesome hip-hop music

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/01/17 at 12:25 pm

One of the things I've found as I get older (it's probably why I'm here in the first place) is that every time period has something to offer, more or less. I don't like the '80s generally but I love new wave, for example.

Check for new replies or respond here...