inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Future of TV

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/31/17 at 8:28 pm

I'm new here, so let me know if I'm breaking a rule. I was thinking about this on the drive to work today - the '90s and '00s got the reality television craze started with The Real World, Queer Eye, Survivor, all those home development shows, etc., but I think we've been seeing an oversaturation in the 2010s. On the other hand, starting with Lost in 2004 (but really perfected by Game of Thrones, Mad Men, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, and the like), the 2010s are also recognized for cinema-quality television with terrific writing, acting, effects, and music. The proliferation of content creators such as Netflix and Hulu seems to be spurring this latter trend.

That being said, reality TV seems like a tough trend to kill. Decades of uninspired garbage have failed to do away with reality TV as a popular show format, and the viewership statistics speak for themselves.

So the question I pose to you is this: which genre of television do you believe will dominate the 2020s? Are high-quality, scripted series going to edge out reality TV, or is America just really addicted to its elimination contests and interpersonal drama?

Check for new replies or respond here...