inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mickey singer Toni Basil sues Disney and South Park

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/17 at 8:56 am

Toni Basil, the one-hit-wonder who recorded Mickey, is suing several companies, saying they have used the song without permission. Media giants Disney and Viacom are among the defendants named in her case, filed in Los Angeles on Thursday. According to court documents, Basil only recently became aware that Mickey had been used in TV shows including South Park and Ru Paul's Drag Race. She claims the discovery left her "despondent and physically ill". Basil's lawyers say the 73-year-old "has experienced sleep deprivation, nightmares and anxiety" as a result of use of the song. She has requested a jury trial.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41111764

Subject: Re: Mickey singer Toni Basil sues Disney and South Park

Written By: #Infinity on 09/01/17 at 11:11 am

Boy, I honestly really don't like when musicians are this obsessively protective of their music, to the point almost any kind of reference is hideous blasphemy to them. I can understand why a washed up musician would demand that she's earning fair income for something so meaningful to her life, but the way she's describing her case here just makes me pity her for just how broken down she seems.

No wonder "Mickey" isn't available on Spotify.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/17 at 11:17 am

Boy, I honestly really don't like when musicians are this obsessively protective of their music, to the point almost any kind of reference is hideous blasphemy to them. I can understand why a washed up musician would demand that she's earning fair income for something so meaningful to her life, but the way she's describing her case here just makes me pity her for just how broken down she seems.

No wonder "Mickey" isn't available on Spotify.
Royalties and Performance Rights are the songwriters pension.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/17 at 11:23 am

Royalties and Performance Rights are the songwriters pension.
I have just done some research and she did NOT write the song, she only change it from "Kitty" to "Mickey", technically the song is not hers in the first place. All royalties go to the writers Mike Chapman and Nicky Chinn. There could be a court case on using her voice?

Written By: #Infinity on 09/01/17 at 12:25 pm

I have just done some research and she did NOT write the song, she only change it from "Kitty" to "Mickey", technically the song is not hers in the first place. All royalties go to the writers Mike Chapman and Nicky Chinn. There could be a court case on using her voice?

Well, that just makes her sound even more desperate than ever.

Written By: Howard on 09/01/17 at 3:01 pm

Then who did write the song if it wasn't her in the first place? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/17 at 3:02 pm

Then who did write the song if it wasn't her in the first place? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...