inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I definentley think pop culture has stagnated 100%

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 09/02/17 at 7:41 am

I love pop culture that's why I came to this amazingly fun site,but it feels like pop culture has been stagnant since like 2013.it all feels the same,but I'm smart enough to look for things I like and I do like Carly rae jepsen Emotion album its fire and it gives great vibes i also go back and listen to Britney,Katy Perry and a few others,but pop culture today is stagnant,just look at the top 40 and you will see.thanks for answering☺

Subject: Re: I definentley think pop culture has stagnated 100%

Written By: 80sfan on 09/02/17 at 9:20 am

Pretty much, at least to me.

The 2017 VMAs was horribly bland and just plain bad.
The problem is that we don't know where to go next. I'd say, in music,
things have really been bad for 15 years, at least.

And even movies this summer have suffered. http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-movie-projector-summer-meltdown-20170830-story.html

Summer is when movies are supposed to make $$$$$ like hell.

I think we've done so much in pop culture the past 100 to 150 years, that sooner, or later, we would have came to this place,
whether we want to, or not. Well, it's happening. It's called saturation.

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 09/02/17 at 10:02 am

Pretty much, at least to me.

The 2017 VMAs was horribly bland and just plain bad.
The problem is that we don't know where to go next. I'd say, in music,
things have really been bad for 15 years, at least.

And even movies this summer have suffered. http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-movie-projector-summer-meltdown-20170830-story.html

Summer is when movies are supposed to make $$$$$ like hell.

I think we've done so much in pop culture the past 100 to 150 years, that sooner, or later, we would have came to this place,
whether we want to, or not. Well, it's happening. It's called saturation.
yeah I mean its weird because I'm wondering why its so hard to choose another pop cultural direction there's so many ideas its like there's so much potential I'm really starting to think it will stay this sorta bland until like 2023.Kidding hopefully not that long,but we need more creative personnel its out there,the bizz just got to get wit it.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/02/17 at 10:19 am

I think we have reached a point where we have achieved everything that we have wanted to, but we don't have a clear idea in mind as to what's next.  The reboots of so many '80s and '90s franchises is testament to that. We're trying to capitalise on things which were huge successes, but in doing so, we are halting the progress of pop culture.

To say that the 2010s have been a big disappointment is an understatement. We shouldn't even be in this position. The Early 2010s laid so many foundations which could have led to something greater, but it just didn't materialise.

Written By: John Titor on 09/02/17 at 12:23 pm

I love pop culture that's why I came to this amazingly fun site,but it feels like pop culture has been stagnant since like 2013.it all feels the same,but I'm smart enough to look for things I like and I do like Carly rae jepsen Emotion album its fire and it gives great vibes i also go back and listen to Britney,Katy Perry and a few others,but pop culture today is stagnant,just look at the top 40 and you will see.thanks for answering☺

TRL is back 10/2 don't worry

Written By: bchris02 on 09/02/17 at 12:34 pm

I think we have reached a point where we have achieved everything that we have wanted to, but we don't have a clear idea in mind as to what's next.  The reboots of so many '80s and '90s franchises is testament to that. We're trying to capitalise on things which were huge successes, but in doing so, we are halting the progress of pop culture.

To say that the 2010s have been a big disappointment is an understatement. We shouldn't even be in this position. The Early 2010s laid so many foundations which could have led to something greater, but it just didn't materialise.

Good points here.  The defining aspect of Hollywood in the 2010s, other than dystopian young adult fiction novels-turned-movies is rebooting old 90s childhood movies.  There was a wave of '70s nostalgia in the '90s and '80s nostalgia in the '00s, but it didn't come close to where we currently are with the '90s - a place where nostalgia itself drives the pop culture.  The result of that is stagnation.

In terms of music, there is some slow evolution happening but overall we are still in the same music world as 2013.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/02/17 at 3:52 pm

People say this every decade. I don't think pop culture has stagnated. Mainstream pop culture always sucks for the most part. Some periods are better than others in a subjective sense, but it is never great. Changes do come eventually whether you like them or hate them. In the end of the day, you can avoid mainstream trends if you would like. If you want to listen to good music go underground. If you want to watch good movies go Indie. If you want good fashion go to the boutique. It's as simple as that.

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 09/02/17 at 9:37 pm

People say this every decade. I don't think pop culture has stagnated. Mainstream pop culture always sucks for the most part. Some periods are better than others in a subjective sense, but it is never great. Changes do come eventually whether you like them or hate them. In the end of the day, you can avoid mainstream trends if you would like. If you want to listen to good music go underground. If you want to watch good movies go Indie. If you want good fashion go to the boutique. It's as simple as that.
your right,but we still need a transition its feels like it needs to happen for us pop lovers.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/03/17 at 8:42 am

I'm interested to hear your ideas of the foundations laid by the early '10s and where that could've gone. I'm not challenging you, just curious about your thoughts.

That being said,

All of this. Of course nothing seems to be changing now, but back in 2009 I thought emo was going to be in the charts forever, or at least guitar music in general. The changes never seem obvious or radical in hindsight. I think we're in a bit of a rut for now, but pop culture has not stagnated. In four years you'll look around and everything will have changed. Hell, even the difference between 2011 (which still arguably felt like an '00s year) and 2013 is huge.

At worst, we'll end up with a situation like the early '80s or the early '00s where we end up in a temporary "time loop" of the previous period's pop culture. That being said, I'm excited to see what the future holds for pop culture.

Written By: John Titor on 09/03/17 at 10:28 am

your right,but we still need a transition its feels like it needs to happen for us pop lovers.

TRL is coming back in 4 weeks

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Written By: bchris02 on 09/03/17 at 1:01 pm

I think it tends to feel that way after a specific culture/era starts to get long in the tooth.  We've been in the current pop culture era since 2013 so it definitely feels like a change is imminent.  I think when we look back on the '10s from 2020, they won't appear as stagnant as they do now.  I remember a lot of people complaining about 2006.

Written By: John Titor on 09/03/17 at 6:12 pm

I think it tends to feel that way after a specific culture/era starts to get long in the tooth.  We've been in the current pop culture era since 2013 so it definitely feels like a change is imminent.  I think when we look back on the '10s from 2020, they won't appear as stagnant as they do now.  I remember a lot of people complaining about 2006.

2007 is when it was long in the tooth

Written By: bchris02 on 09/03/17 at 7:12 pm

2007 is when it was long in the tooth

I don't know, 2007 was a step above 2006 in my opinion.  I think 2007 had its own unique zeitgeist, different from either 2006 or 2008.  2007, from my memory, was one of the most unique years I ever lived through.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/03/17 at 7:58 pm

I don't know, 2007 was a step above 2006 in my opinion.  I think 2007 had its own unique zeitgeist, different from either 2006 or 2008.  2007, from my memory, was one of the most unique years I ever lived through.

Yes, this! 2007 was a very unique feeling year imo. 2011 had the same feeling.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/03/17 at 9:30 pm

Unpopular opinion, but I personally like the pop culture of the 2010's. The only year I didn't like was 2014. The music that year was so awful that it made me wish I was deaf. You had songs like Anaconda, Selfie by the Chainsmokers, Let it Go, (I actually used to like that song, but it's annoying now) trying to find a good song from that year was like nearly impossible. The only song that I liked from that year was Hideaway by Kiezsa. So far though, all the other years in this decade except for 2014 I thought were good for music.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/03/17 at 9:51 pm

Unpopular opinion, but I personally like the pop culture of the 2010's. The only year I didn't like was 2014. The music that year was so awful that it made me wish I was deaf. You had songs like Anaconda, Selfie by the Chainsmokers, Let it Go, (I actually used to like that song, but it's annoying now) trying to find a good song from that year was like nearly impossible. The only song that I liked from that year was Hideaway by Kiezsa. So far though, all the other years in this decade except for 2014 I thought were good for music.

Exactly. I actually like the 2010s as well, I think all of the years had good music except for 2014... 8-P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/04/17 at 12:40 am

Exactly. I actually like the 2010s as well, I think all of the years had good music except for 2014... 8-P
I think we can all agree that 2014 was truly downright awful. That's why in my list, that year is last.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/04/17 at 7:57 am

I'm interested to hear your ideas of the foundations laid by the early '10s and where that could've gone. I'm not challenging you, just curious about your thoughts.

I think popular culture would be in a much healthier state now and the Mid 2010s would have turned out quite differently. When I refer to foundations, I mean the trends which were either established or just gaining popularity in the Early 2010s, such as the indie rock scene, the return of soul (in the form of Adele), electropop, the TV scene (shows like Game of Thrones, Walking Dead etc), as well as the movie industry. Some of those things could have become much more influential and changed the outcome of 2010s culture.

For example, I think that indie rock could/should have had a much bigger influence on the music industry. It was shaping out to be that way, with songs such as "Pumped Up Kicks" and "Somebody That I Used To Know", but for whatever reason, it just never happened. The Mid 2010s could have been to indie rock, what the Mid '90s were to alternative rock/grunge. I believe it would have been one of the biggest genres of this decade and instead of us complaining about EDM dominating, we could have been complaining about all of those hipster, indie-rock acts. :P

EDM probably would have still been around, but it wouldn't have been anywhere near as popular and it wouldn't have over-saturated the charts to the same extent. I actually think that the "disco/70s" revival genre in pop either wouldn't exist or be very, very minimal in terms of it's presence on the charts, had indie rock become the dominant genre it was perhaps intended to come. I really don't think songs such as "Wild Thoughts", "Uptown Funk", "Feels", "Blurred Lines" or the ilk would have been anywhere near as popular. Either way, I think there would have been less songs influenced by 70s/80s nostalgia.

The same could be said about trap, IMO. It definitely still would have been popular, but definitely not to the same extent as it is today. This is probably a bit far-fetched, but the emergence of Adele in 2011 could have led to a soul-pop revival sometime in the years after. There's no denying that she truly swept the music industry when "21" was released. It's possible that soul-pop could have become a popular and influential genre in the Mid 2010s.

As for television, had the world not become so cynical in 2013/2014, I think shows such as Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead would have only been staples of the Early 2010s. Of course, they may have still been on the air, but new shows more than likely would have taken their place. It's hard to say how TV in the Mid 2010s could have panned out. I don't think it would be drastically different to how it did turn out, but had the social climate been less negative and cynical, I think there would have been a few differences. The movie industry probably wouldn't have been too different, in all honesty. Although, the Marvel Universe movies may not have been as popular as they are now, especially if we didn't have the ongoing threat of terrorism, Donald Trump and the ilk hanging over our heads.

To be honest, when it comes to popular culture, i'm pretty disappointed with how the 2010s have panned out. The Early 2010s (particularly 2010 and 2011) offered a lot of promise and who knows really what it could have led to.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/04/17 at 8:35 am

As for television, had the world not become so cynical in 2013/2014, I think shows such as Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead would have only been staples of the Early 2010s. Of course, they may have still been on the air, but new shows more than likely would have taken their place. It's hard to say how TV in the Mid 2010s could have panned out. I don't think it would be drastically different to how it did turn out, but had the social climate been less negative and cynical, I think there would have been a few differences. The movie industry probably wouldn't have been too different, in all honesty. Although, the Marvel Universe movies may not have been as popular as they are now, especially if we didn't have the ongoing threat of terrorism, Donald Trump and the ilk hanging over our heads.

All fair points, until this. Sure, I understand disliking the cynicism of these shows, but are you also arguing against the cinema-quality TV shows we've enjoyed the past few years? That is one trend in particular I have enjoyed from the 2010s. I hope we will continue to push the envelope in terms of quality television going into the 2020s.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/04/17 at 9:54 am

It may be an unpopular opinion but I like it when people have positive opinions of modern day pop culture. It's a different perspective and hating present pop culture is a very prevalent opinion. Many people on this board declare that the 90s was the last great decade of pop culture but as a quintessential 90s kid and millennial, I tell you that people hated the 90s back in the 90s...including me. I think the only years I consciously enjoyed was 1992, 95, and 99.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/04/17 at 9:57 am

I don't know why so many of you are complaining about the mid 2010s it was not that bad.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/04/17 at 11:00 am

I don't know why so many of you are complaining about the mid 2010s it was not that bad.

mmm...after those rappers you listed as being better than Kendrick Lamar, I'm not so sure about your opinion.  ;D

Perhaps that mid-2010s isn't as bad as I think it is but it still lacked the vibrancy of the late 2000s/early 2010s. Too bad a lot of you weren't old enough, or too old, or too depressed to experience the Recession Era Glitz.

Pop culture feels like it's in a weird place right which means it's in a transitional phase. I just don't know what comes next.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/04/17 at 11:11 am

mmm...after those rappers you listed as being better than Kendrick Lamar, I'm not so sure about your opinion.  ;D

Perhaps that mid-2010s isn't as bad as I think it is but it still lacked the vibrancy of the late 2000s/early 2010s. Too bad a lot of you weren't old enough, or too old, or too depressed to experience the Recession Era Glitz.

Pop culture feels like it's in a weird place right which means it's in a transitional phase. I just don't know what comes next.

It was actually much better than the early 2010s. And there are many rappers better than Kendrick Lamar.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/04/17 at 11:16 am

I agree with this.  I was the perfect age during that era and it was awesome.  Not just the music but the entire culture and mindset.  I have a feeling I'll still be reminiscing about it as an old man the way aging baby boomers still can't let go of the '60s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/04/17 at 11:23 am

How old would one had to be to experience all of that?

Written By: Slim95 on 09/04/17 at 11:36 am

I was at a much better place in my personal life in the mid '10s than the early '10s. Ages 15 - 17 were the worst years for me. It didn't help that I didn't like the style of music and the cultural vibe of the time as well. Which is why the early 2010s will always go down as the worst era in history for me. One major exception to this is 2013. 2013 (which is definitely an early 2010s year, despite what a lot of people on here say) is the only early 2010s year that I truly enjoyed. Having said all of this there are some instances in my life from the early 2010s where I do look back fondly, but they are rare. It wasn't totally doom and gloom and 2010 wasn't absolutely horrible. But 2011 was a bad year for me and 2012 was the absolute worst year of my life. 2012 was like the year of horror for me.

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 09/04/17 at 11:37 am

It may be an unpopular opinion but I like it when people have positive opinions of modern day pop culture. It's a different perspective and hating present pop culture is a very prevalent opinion. Many people on this board declare that the 90s was the last great decade of pop culture but as a quintessential 90s kid and millennial, I tell you that people hated the 90s back in the 90s...including me. I think the only years I consciously enjoyed was 1992, 95, and 99.
really cause I hear the 90s were great.

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 09/04/17 at 11:38 am

Facts

Written By: Slim95 on 09/04/17 at 11:41 am

The rappers I listed were Hopsin, Tech 9Ne, Lecrae, and Eminem. They are absolutely better than Kendrick Lamar.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/04/17 at 12:02 pm

It was actually much better than the early 2010s. And there are many rappers better than Kendrick Lamar.

The mid 2010s sucked for me. Can't speak for you.

I'm sure there are better rappers than Kendrick Lamar...just like there are better singers than Whitney Houston...

but who are they?

Written By: Slim95 on 09/04/17 at 12:06 pm

The mid 2010s sucked for me. Can't speak for you.

I'm sure there are better rappers than Kendrick Lamar...just like there are better singers than Whitney Houston...

but who are they?

I already listed them. There are probably a lot more too. And the mid 2010s were definitely better for me in all ways than the early 2010s.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/04/17 at 5:19 pm

The rappers I listed were Hopsin, Tech 9Ne, Lecrae, and Eminem. They are absolutely better than Kendrick Lamar.

I didn't see this before I made my last post. I never really cared for Eminem but I respect him. I never liked his vocals or delivery, but his lyrics are usually okay to great. And I understand his place in rap/hip-hop. Hopsin doesn't hit any of my buttons and the others are...okay at best. I'm willing to concede that much of our rap/hip-hop differences are due to ideology, age, and taste but except for "Stan", I can't find any songs from any of these guys that rival Lamar's best.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/04/17 at 5:25 pm

How old would one had to be to experience all of that?

Not exactly sure but I was 21-24 during that time so I was in the perfect age range. In my opinion, it was a great time to be a party hardy millennial, especially in Houston where it was a boom town during the recession.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/04/17 at 5:31 pm

really cause I hear the 90s were great.

Eh. Like all eras...it was great in retrospect. I can definitely say it rocked as a 90s kid. Nickelodeon was the undisputed king of childhood during that decade.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/04/17 at 10:38 pm

All fair points, until this. Sure, I understand disliking the cynicism of these shows, but are you also arguing against the cinema-quality TV shows we've enjoyed the past few years? That is one trend in particular I have enjoyed from the 2010s. I hope we will continue to push the envelope in terms of quality television going into the 2020s.

I don't dislike the cynicism in those shows or the actual shows themselves. The Walking Dead is actually one of my favourite shows of all time. However, I just think that if the world itself wasn't in such a cynical state, shows such as The Walking Dead may not have remained as popular as they still are today. In that case, it's possible that new shows may have become just as influential and popular as them. But it's all what ifs. It's hard to know what could have happened, had things been different.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/04/17 at 11:21 pm

Not exactly sure but I was 21-24 during that time so I was in the perfect age range. In my opinion, it was a great time to be a party hardy millennial, especially in Houston where it was a boom town during the recession.
Hell yeah, it was! It's a shame that optimism from that era has dwindled into cynicism. It seems most people don't party anymore like they used to due to a number of things.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/05/17 at 1:10 am

I agree with this completely as we are almost the same age.  I was a little more into the nightclub scene back then than was probably good for me.  It was a blast though.  I would place that era right up with the early '00s in terms of music. 

Nowadays I don't really like clubs that much anymore.  I enjoy going from time to time but it's not my preferred genre of nightlife.  I really wish I would have been less into clubs back in the day and more into bars and I might have met someone.  People I'm compatible with aren't people you will usually find at a club, at least not regularly, and I had some dates/potential relationships go bad because I would want to go to the club and they weren't big clubbers.  I enjoy going to a bar where I can actually socialize with people and the drinks aren't so watered down.  Clubs are really fun when you just turn 21 and it's a new and exciting thing.  At least that's how I see it. 

Check for new replies or respond here...