inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: comparing yourself from 2015 to 2017 (today) self-assessment

Written By: mjstudios97 on 09/03/17 at 4:27 am

Would you say that two years transformed you personally a lot ?
Also, the world changed a lot then or in little bits for you ?
I'm curious to know what other people's
insights are on this. :)

Subject: Re: comparing yourself from 2015 to 2017 (today) self-assessment

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/03/17 at 4:34 am

My personal life is very similar.

2015 still feels very recent unlike 2014 which is starting to feel a bit of a while ago but still very recent generally.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/03/17 at 8:35 am

And how. I was a Gamergate guy in 2015, I'm not particularly proud of my behavior back then. I think Trump scared me straight.

As far as the world around me changing, I don't think so. Socially, culturally, it seems 2013 through 2016 were very similar to each other. The only big changes were to my personal life, really - graduating college, going to grad school, becoming a working stiff, etc.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/03/17 at 11:12 am

I was so different in 2015. I was overweight back then, but I lost the weight last year and I'm thinner now. I was in 7th grade in 2015 now I'm a Sophmore in High School. Things were different back then, but it doesn't feel like that long ago. Anything before 2014 feels like a while ago to me.
2015 was probably the second best year of my life, with 2013 being the first.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/03/17 at 12:01 pm

2015 - All that was on my mind was finding a girlfriend, and I failed miserably. All I ever got was strife for wanting to have a relationship. The people I met on OK Cupid and at lesbian meet ups treated me with complete neglect. I hated life and was thoroughly convinced I had no purpose or power whatsoever, despite just having graduated from college, because I was the wrong kind of individual. The only reason I could hold on to my will to live was that I had bucketloads of new music to listen to and use to escape into my own world. Gradually, I started to realize the problem was more issues with the people I met rather than myself, but my self esteem still had quite a ways to go. Except for the 21st of October, this is undoubtedly the worst year of my personal life to date, as there was no other time when my whole existence felt more wasted and more unwelcome.

2017 - I'm much more stable and confident now because I'm just more generally content with who I am. I embrace unconventional things for a woman romantically inclined towards other women (I still reject the "lesbian" self-description because of how much lesbian culture does not resonate with me), now without any shame. I have a job now, and while it doesn't pay as much as I need to live on my own, I feel confident I can move up because I've impressed my superiors with my performance. Regardless of all these gains, however, my life still feels ultimately incomplete because I have no romantic companionship, and all of my failed experiences with women before has virtually made me give up. I may try matchmaking with the money I'm inheriting from my late grandmother, but still, the only way I can find happiness in life right now is through intense escapism.

Written By: d90 on 09/03/17 at 12:39 pm

I'm pretty much the same personally that I was in 2015; But I have gotten a little wiser.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/03/17 at 12:46 pm

2015 and 2017 aren't that different in my personal life.  2010 and 2017 on the other hand are like worlds apart. 

2015 - I started the year still devoutly Christian and considered myself ex-gay though I still experienced same-sex attraction.  I was doing everything I could to repress it for approval from my family, my church, and the people where I live.  At that point I was pretty much frightened to enjoy myself or my life at all.  By the middle of the year there were some cracks in my faith in the church.  The SCOTUS decision legalizing same-sex marriage was a turning point.  The outrage that I saw from my family and friends on social media because of that was almost unfathomable.  My parents decided to have a rainbow flag burning at their church.  I remember posting a comment on a Christian article that was sympathetic to the SCOTUS decision but not outright supportive.  A few minutes later, I got a nasty call from my parents with them telling me I am headed for hell if I don't repent.  After that, my relationship with my family started to deteriorate.  They began policing my Facebook harder than they ever did before, interrogating me about everyone I added as a friend.  I started smoking again that fall and after that, they accused me of "being back in the lifestyle."  I put them on restricted mode because at that point I had just turned 30 and I had enough and was well past, almost a decade for that matter, the age where I should have put up with that.  My relationship with my family has not been the same since.

2017 - I have accepted my sexuality to myself and am also agnostic atheist now.  I am still in the closet though for a few reasons.  The first is my family.  I actually had PTSD from how they treated me back in 2009 and 10 when I came out the first time.  Though those were the best years of my life, they have their dark side and that is something I dread having to experience again.  There are literally no people on the planet more manipulative and better at mind games than my parents.  In addition, I don't know how to meet other gay people who I might be compatible with.  I am very worried about how behind I am for my age because of my situation.  I am worried about finding somebody who will accept me even with my faults and my baggage.  I feel like that a young, early to mid twenties guy who is just about to come out but others will see me as that creepy older fat guy in the gay bars (I'm about 40 pounds heavier than I was in 2010, wish I could lose the weight but that's hard) that hits on the younger guys but the younger guys aren't interested.  One thing that had happened this year is I am realizing that I am not as young as I used to be.  In 2015, when I was 29 going on 30 I was still basically in my twenties.  When I turned 31, that was still only one year past 30.  Now at 32, I am starting to feel a widening gulf between me and twentysomethings and its scary.

Written By: Howard on 09/03/17 at 3:02 pm

things are pretty much the status quo.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 09/03/17 at 3:45 pm

Early 2015 I had a mental breakdown and late 2015 up to now has been a period of healing for me. In 2017 iI'm definitely in a better place mentally and emotionally. Its been the best year emotionally for me since 2011!

Written By: mjstudios97 on 09/03/17 at 4:33 pm

I'm glad to read that people have had bounced back up from their issues, predicaments that they had in 2015. I hope for all of you that 2018 and 2019 will bring even more successes, and happiness.  :)

As for me, I am turning 20 in two weeks (which is making me panic-stricken), so I see quite a gap from now to when I was only just 17 in the beginning of 2015. I ended up taking two gap years because of not pushing myself to the university level. What initially started as a half year off, turned into two.

As far as confidence goes, I think I am far more well off but still have a lot of working to do. Time is a great gift, and we should cherish it and utilize it well in my opinion. I did a lot of time wasting, and wish I could regain that lost time. I can now say I have been to many places now compared to back then having stayed in Florida for a 5-month trip with aunt and family in 2015, and going to Japan in 2016, taking a cruise ship for the first time and having my first road trip this summer 2017. I'm currently en route to becoming a full term medical coder and take my certificate's exam by winter of this year.

I honestly don't feel on par with peers, but I try to remind myself that just because I've wandered off course with the rest doesn't mean I am lost, I am taking my own path. I had a lot of high unrealistic expectations of myself and piled myself with futile AP classes I thought would advance me in my university years which ended up being a detriment to me and making me unqualifiable for any schools. I have now accepted myself for what I am now. I still have insecurities here and there I haven't shed from early adolescence such as having a short height so I still got a long ways to go. I'm still socially awkward and still have that same clueless, passive and absent-minded personality. So in some aspects, I don't feel that changed at all. A lot of people I know are hardly recognizable now. I still feel indifferent which I'm not proud to say. I know I am still in my prime time but I realize now that I am actually an adult considering that I'm not a teenager anymore..

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/03/17 at 4:40 pm

I was 15-16 in 2015 and I'm 18 now. The only things that have changed is that I've grown a bit more facial hair, graduated from high school and I'm now considered a legal adult. Other than that, I'm pretty much the same person I was in 2015.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/03/17 at 8:57 pm

My personal life is very similar.

2015 still feels very recent unlike 2014 which is starting to feel a bit of a while ago but still very recent generally.

To me:
2014-2016: Recent
2012-2013: A bit of a while ago
2010-2011: A while ago
Before 2010: Feels like billions of years ago

Written By: #Infinity on 09/03/17 at 9:59 pm

To me:

For me, it feels like this:

Late 2015 to present: Recent
2013 to Mid-2015: Somewhat long ago
Late 2004 to 2012: A really long time ago
Mid-1995 to Mid-2004: The olden days
1992 to Early 1995: I don't even have real memories of this period!

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/03/17 at 10:08 pm

To me:

For me:

2015-2017: Bascially yesterday
2012-2014: Recent, but a little bit older
2008-2011: Quiet a long time ago
2004-2007: Very old
2002-2003: ancient
2000- I can't remember :-X

Written By: bchris02 on 09/03/17 at 10:19 pm

For me

Late 2015-Present - current era
Late 2012-mid 2015 - My first years after moving back home; Worst era of my life. Feels mostly recent but I am starting to feel some distance here
Late 2009-mid 2012 - My time on the east coast; seems like another world compared to today.  The best era of my life.
Late 2007-mid 2009 - immediate post-grad/young professional era of my life; I feel more connected with this era than I do with 2009-12
Late 2004-mid 2007 - college
2001-2004 - high school; Almost feels like a dream looking back on it
1997-2001 - Jr. high; So long ago but in some ways I still feel connections to that era
Anything before 1997; childhood

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/03/17 at 10:23 pm

For me:

2013-present: Recent
2010-2012: Somewhat distant
2007-2009: A while ago
2003-2006: Very long ago
1999-2002: Ancient history, lol ;D

Written By: 2001 on 09/03/17 at 11:01 pm

Now that I think about it, almost everything has changed since the beginning of 2015 for me, and I didn't even notice it until now.

In 2015, I wasn't doing very well in school, barely knew any programming, was still a virgin by most people's definition, rescinded to surpressing my sexuality and eventually marrying a woman, didn't know how to cook, didn't work out, barely spoke any French (just started learning back then). None of those things are true anymore in 2017. I'm almost finished my Physics degree, I know multiple programming languages which helped me land my job (which I got in 2016), dated two amazing people since then, mostly proudly gay now (though still mostly in the closet), started working out, learnt how to cook pretty well (I think ;D), and speak French pretty decently now. Phew! That makes me excited to see what kind of changes will happen by the end of 2019. I have a lot of things planned. :o

Despite that, what I do miss about my early 2015 self is that he was a lot more optimistic about the future (politically). As 2015 dragged on, that optimism was quickly replaced by cynicism. Then 2016 happened too and that was even worse. In 2017, I'm more optimistic about my country (Canada). As for the rest of the world... I wish you all the best. Oh, and I still had my full head of hair. My hairline started receding in the spring of 2015, and my threehead is now a forehead ;D

Written By: bchris02 on 09/03/17 at 11:07 pm

Now that I think about it, almost everything has changed since the beginning of 2015 for me, and I didn't even notice it until now.

In 2015, I wasn't doing very well in school, barely knew any programming, was still a virgin by most people's definition, rescinded to surpressing my sexuality and eventually marrying a woman, didn't know how to cook, didn't work out, barely spoke any French (just started learning back then). None of those things are true anymore in 2017. I'm almost finished my Physics degree, I know multiple programming languages which helped me land my job (which I got in 2016), dated two amazing people since then, mostly proudly gay now (though still mostly in the closet), started working out, learnt how to cook pretty well (I think ;D), and speak French pretty decently now. Phew! That makes me excited to see what kind of changes will happen by the end of 2019. I have a lot of things planned. :o

Despite that, what I do miss about my early 2015 self is that he was a lot more optimistic about the future (politically). As 2015 dragged on, that optimism was quickly replaced by cynicism. Then 2016 happened too and that was even worse. In 2017, I'm more optimistic about my country (Canada). As for the rest of the world... I wish you all the best. Oh, and I still had my full head of hair. My hairline started receding in the spring of 2015, and my threehead is now a forehead ;D

Sorry to hear about your hair.  Luckily mine has barely changed at all since I was a teenager, but at 32 I know those days are numbered.  I will either go bald or gray and whatever happens, there will probably be signs of it at some point in the next few years.

I agree with you that in early 2015 there was still a hint of that early '10s optimism still with us, though by that time it was only just a hint.

Written By: 2001 on 09/03/17 at 11:47 pm

Sorry to hear about your hair.  Luckily mine has barely changed at all since I was a teenager, but at 32 I know those days are numbered.  I will either go bald or gray and whatever happens, there will probably be signs of it at some point in the next few years.

I agree with you that in early 2015 there was still a hint of that early '10s optimism still with us, though by that time it was only just a hint.

Grey (or rather, silver) hair is pretty hip right now, so you don't have anything to worry about in that department :P I got on Rogaine at the beginning of this year though, so my hair loss has halted. If you notice your hair falling, talk to a deternatologist, it's pretty easy to find a treatment nowadays. :)

What was nice about very early 2015 was that the price of gas hit rock bottom, so my wallet was a bit bigger. But as 2015 went on, the Canadian dollar got weaker and imports got more expensive, and that more than ate up the savings  :( Oh and another good thing about early 2015 is that there was no Trump or any sign of the upcoming 2016 election/primaries.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/04/17 at 12:34 pm

In 2015 I was more optimistic, naive, wealthier, and more carefree.

In 2017 I am more realistic, wiser, in debt, and more vigilant.

If I can have the wisdom and maturity I have now and the money and optimism I had in 2015, I would be at bliss.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/04/17 at 2:47 pm

mine started receding 20 years ago.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/25/17 at 10:39 am

I honestly haven't changed too much since 2013, so there isn't really too much of a contrast between how I was two years ago and how I am now. Anyhow, I will still give it a go:

2015: I was 16 and in Year 10. I got my Learners drivers licence in May that year. In all honesty, 2015 was probably the year where I really started to become cynical and dissatisfied with my life. I had been depressed since the end of 2012, but there were a few factors which really made it gradually get worse. I had really bad acne at the time. Not only did I have a few on my chin, but I also had them on my back and shoulders. Whenever I lay in bed at night, it felt like I was sleeping on rocks. Creams didn't work, so I had to go to a dermatologist and take tablets to get rid of them. After several months of taking the tablets, I was able to get rid of them completely by the end of the year, however I was left with scarring.

Naturally, I became even more self-conscious and my confidence really dropped. My lack of confidence was a fear within itself, because with being 16, I was getting closer and closer to being a legal adult and being out in the real world. It meant the prospect of having to interact with the world while being so insecure about myself and I hated the thought of that. There was also increasing tension between some my family members around this time, but I won't go into that.

I was also really annoyed with the way life was. I hated (and still do) the fact that people are so engrossed with their smartphones and stupid things on social media. The worst thing about it is that everyone does it. People at school, people in day to day life etc. It just fueled my hatred of people even more. The state of mainstream music really frustrated me as well. I would go to school and hear the same stupid EDM and trap garbage. As a result, it made me turn back to the music I listened to when I was growing up.

2017: I turned 18 in March and I just graduated from high school a few days ago. In regards to my personal life, 2017 has been an improvement over the past couple of years. While my mental state is far from perfect, I am in a much better state of mind compared to how I have been. However, I am still very self-conscious about myself. The acne-curing tablets not only left scarring, but they also made my skin very sensitive. It gets irritated really easily, which is a challenge within itself. However, i'm hoping that my skin should get better as time passes.

With this being my final year of high school, I have to sit for my Higher School Certificate exams in a few weeks time. This has made me feel nervous and under a lot of pressure. I hope I can do well!

Written By: TheKid99 on 09/26/17 at 12:39 pm

2015 - boy just looking back.... this year feels just so long ago. 2015 I was still denying myself and who I was. I was a Freshman turning Sophomore.... I decided to be in the Football Team, failed, but ended up being the Team Manager.... gotta State Ring out of it! We went on our only vacation since 2010, to Florida for two weeks. It was okay but I definitely didnt feel a strong bond with my family like I used to. I was kind of into pop music this year but it still wasnt my thing. I was a big ol Mariah Carey #Lamb ahahah :) I went to the only parties I have been to in high school this year, I was slowly climbing the social ladder.... until..... I stopped. MY friend and I fell out in August 2015. I have only been to one more party, in December 2015...... and then April 2016. Since then I have not been to a high school party. It was the peak of my Social life in high school and it has slowly faded away since. I was very sick that year and out of school A TON. My stomach was giving me hell. I was ok with life..... but something didnt feel complete. My brother John and I started drifting away and after our fight on the last day of Florida, that became more permament. My familys instability rose again and has not been stable since August 2015.

2017 - After starting in Summer of 2016 to try and accept who I was.... I finally confronted myself and won...... this year while in my sphere of high school has sucked...... I have done great with myself at work. I have made so many friends at work and made so many friends who like rollercoasters. My family and I have drifted apart a lot. My dad and I have a broken relationship, my brother John and I too..... mostly after our 8/11/2017 fight which resulted in a clear and cut divide between us. My mom and I have built our relationship, I love her a lot..... being her favorite child does have its perks. My year was going fantastic from April - early August 2017. I was in a suicidially deep depression in early 2017..... so many times I considered leaving this earth. All because of the fallout from my best friend dumping me. However.... while to this day I am still working to closure on that.... I have kind of moved on in a sense. Contacting him recently has really helped.... and I hope honest to God I can get more closure out of it. My grades are great, I am incredibly nervous about college. I bonded with my brother Jake by going up to Cedar Point for 3 days with him. I am doing okay but my family is in complete crisis.... my mom starting KEMO is not helping.... seeing my dad fall apart while she was in the hospital makes me wonder how he will handle himself when shes gone if ever..... I have to thrive.... its what I gotta do. Pop punk and Alt rock has been my savior. Going to 3 concerts this year, Real Friends on 4.29, Mayday Parade on 4.25 and Vans Warped Tour on 7.19 have been lifechanging. And my interest in the genres..... a genre introduced to me by my former best friend.... has made me whole.... has made me feel human.... and made me feel alive.

Written By: TheKid99 on 09/26/17 at 12:44 pm

Eras of my Life
April 2017 - Present
July 2016 - March 2017
August 2015 - June 2016
August 2014 - July 2015
December 2013 - July 2014
April 2013 - November 2013
April 2012 - March 2013
April 2011 - March 2012
Feburary 2010 - March 2011
_____

Written By: mjstudios97 on 09/28/17 at 5:16 pm

I honestly haven't changed too much since 2013, so there isn't really too much of a contrast between how I was two years ago and how I am now. Anyhow, I will still give it a go:

2015: I was 16 and in Year 10. I got my Learners drivers licence in May that year. In all honesty, 2015 was probably the year where I really started to become cynical and dissatisfied with my life. I had been depressed since the end of 2012, but there were a few factors which really made it gradually get worse. I had really bad acne at the time. Not only did I have a few on my chin, but I also had them on my back and shoulders. Whenever I lay in bed at night, it felt like I was sleeping on rocks. Creams didn't work, so I had to go to a dermatologist and take tablets to get rid of them. After several months of taking the tablets, I was able to get rid of them completely by the end of the year, however I was left with scarring.

Naturally, I became even more self-conscious and my confidence really dropped. My lack of confidence was a fear within itself, because with being 16, I was getting closer and closer to being a legal adult and being out in the real world. It meant the prospect of having to interact with the world while being so insecure about myself and I hated the thought of that. There was also increasing tension between some my family members around this time, but I won't go into that.

I was also really annoyed with the way life was. I hated (and still do) the fact that people are so engrossed with their smartphones and stupid things on social media. The worst thing about it is that everyone does it. People at school, people in day to day life etc. It just fueled my hatred of people even more. The state of mainstream music really frustrated me as well. I would go to school and hear the same stupid EDM and trap garbage. As a result, it made me turn back to the music I listened to when I was growing up.

2017: I turned 18 in March and I just graduated from high school a few days ago. In regards to my personal life, 2017 has been an improvement over the past couple of years. While my mental state is far from perfect, I am in a much better state of mind compared to how I have been. However, I am still very self-conscious about myself. The acne-curing tablets not only left scarring, but they also made my skin very sensitive. It gets irritated really easily, which is a challenge within itself. However, i'm hoping that my skin should get better as time passes.

With this being my final year of high school, I have to sit for my Higher School Certificate exams in a few weeks time. This has made me feel nervous and under a lot of pressure. I hope I can do well!

I'm sorry about the low confidence level that you were having, I still have a ways to go and I am older than you by 2 years. Life is one big learning curve. You're only 18, you're just starting and just budding compared to the man you'll become when you're 30. You have so much time and I know it's good to start young, but with that, don't let it strain you.  :)

Wow, higher school certificate exams... what are those, we don't have those in USA.. I think  ;D

I think you can do well if you put all of your mind to it! I wish you the best of luck on this journey into adulthood. You're still very young, and a teenager, and don't let the pressure get to you! You have been training for this your whole life practically.  ;)

2015 - boy just looking back.... this year feels just so long ago. 2015 I was still denying myself and who I was. I was a Freshman turning Sophomore.... I decided to be in the Football Team, failed, but ended up being the Team Manager.... gotta State Ring out of it! We went on our only vacation since 2010, to Florida for two weeks. It was okay but I definitely didnt feel a strong bond with my family like I used to. I was kind of into pop music this year but it still wasnt my thing. I was a big ol Mariah Carey #Lamb ahahah :) I went to the only parties I have been to in high school this year, I was slowly climbing the social ladder.... until..... I stopped. MY friend and I fell out in August 2015. I have only been to one more party, in December 2015...... and then April 2016. Since then I have not been to a high school party. It was the peak of my Social life in high school and it has slowly faded away since. I was very sick that year and out of school A TON. My stomach was giving me hell. I was ok with life..... but something didnt feel complete. My brother John and I started drifting away and after our fight on the last day of Florida, that became more permament. My familys instability rose again and has not been stable since August 2015.

2017 - After starting in Summer of 2016 to try and accept who I was.... I finally confronted myself and won...... this year while in my sphere of high school has sucked...... I have done great with myself at work. I have made so many friends at work and made so many friends who like rollercoasters. My family and I have drifted apart a lot. My dad and I have a broken relationship, my brother John and I too..... mostly after our 8/11/2017 fight which resulted in a clear and cut divide between us. My mom and I have built our relationship, I love her a lot..... being her favorite child does have its perks. My year was going fantastic from April - early August 2017. I was in a suicidially deep depression in early 2017..... so many times I considered leaving this earth. All because of the fallout from my best friend dumping me. However.... while to this day I am still working to closure on that.... I have kind of moved on in a sense. Contacting him recently has really helped.... and I hope honest to God I can get more closure out of it. My grades are great, I am incredibly nervous about college. I bonded with my brother Jake by going up to Cedar Point for 3 days with him. I am doing okay but my family is in complete crisis.... my mom starting KEMO is not helping.... seeing my dad fall apart while she was in the hospital makes me wonder how he will handle himself when shes gone if ever..... I have to thrive.... its what I gotta do. Pop punk and Alt rock has been my savior. Going to 3 concerts this year, Real Friends on 4.29, Mayday Parade on 4.25 and Vans Warped Tour on 7.19 have been lifechanging. And my interest in the genres..... a genre introduced to me by my former best friend.... has made me whole.... has made me feel human.... and made me feel alive.

I'm sorry to hear about your family troubles, especially about your mom. I think being spiritually well on a personal level with yourself is key to wellness. I'm hoping only the best for your mom, man.
And about your friend, things like that just happen.. I'm sorry it didn't work out, and I hope you can be able to detach yourself from those people who brought you down, the only thing to do now is to take care of yourself, and make a man out of yourself.. you're an adult now and don't need to depend on those people who were bringing misery to you. Your thoughts of suicide are undue, because you have so much to live for in this world, and your time is just beginning now as a human.. Life is changing, and we all have times we need to heal.. I can only hope the next two years will bring nothing but healing, restoration, and renewal to you.. things change, and we mustn't stay negative and cling on the past when we can do something for now and the future.. it will all make sense later, trust me..  :)

I am 20, and I am still scared of going to college, I didn't go to college right away after high school and instead I am going to start working full time this year when I get my license for my job.
I don't know why I'm just scared of college, maybe because of the heavy social culture, and lifestyle? I was so scared for my sister on her move in day this year.. but she's enjoying it, she's always raving about how nice her roommates are and how on top of that heavy the assignments can be..  ;D

Have fun!  :)

Written By: unicornic on 09/29/17 at 5:01 pm

Nope, both those years felt very comparable to me. If I went back in 2015 I wouldn't even know it.

Check for new replies or respond here...