inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New ideas for a cool pop culture era

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 09/04/17 at 1:24 pm

I love making my own little ideas of an era of pop culture so what i mean is like give ideas of like what might be popular and cool like entertainment,music,games,clothing,people behavior for a certain era it cab be a made up era like it could be for the 20s or the late 10s just have fun with guy and go all out.

Subject: Re: New ideas for a cool pop culture era

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/05/17 at 1:02 pm

I think bringing back the air guitar is always fun, lol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/17 at 1:36 pm

...air piano, and air conducting too?

Written By: Howard on 09/05/17 at 2:43 pm

that's not pop culture. ::)

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/05/17 at 9:55 pm

Pop culture needs to become campy again. If the 2020s (at least some of the years) brought the campy style back into popularity then I'll love it.

Written By: wixness on 09/06/17 at 12:18 am

Pop culture needs to become campy again. If the 2020s (at least some of the years) brought the campy style back into popularity then I'll love it.

Campy and a bit futuristic and cybergoth as well. IDK, something like a mix of emo, Mirror's Edge and gay pride parades.

Written By: Howard on 09/06/17 at 5:17 am

What kind of pop culture is he referring to?

Written By: wixness on 09/06/17 at 5:41 am

Like gay culture or something.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/06/17 at 8:41 am

Like gay culture or something.

Camp somewhat crosses with gay culture, but it isn't the same as actually gay culture. I'd try to fully explain it, but that would make this post extremely long. Instead I'll give examples. A lot of 1980s pop cultural stuff can be described as campy the early 00s with its Y2K futuristic craze, extreme sports obsession, strange fashion ideas etc all can be seen as campy. Camp can be as seen things that are more ironic, artificial, and exaggerated. I've also read an old Nick book where the writer described a lot of Nick's appeal during the late 80s to early 00s was due the use both irony and camp in their TV shows like All That, Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Spongebob etc. The early 90s hip/cool urban craze is also described as unintentionally campy due to the overuse and exaggeration of everything trying to be cool and wicked.

Apparently the books/magazines I've read also mentioned that that around the 21st century Camp has been declining. The early 00s and to some extent the early 10s can be seen as campy. But the camp pop cultural aesthetic isn't big anymore due to the  pop culture trying to push for a more "sophisticated", "professional" and somewhat dark mood lately. Camp comes and goes. It started in the the 1960s and gained a ton of popularity in the 1980s according to what the books tell me (which is why a LOT of 1980s things are seen as campy).

For a more simple way of describing Campy it basically can be seen as  good kind of cheesiness. Cheesy is usually a more negative term while campy is what happens when something is cheesy, but that cheesiness is what makes it good. Movies like Ghost Busters, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, He Man etc all were described as Campy.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/06/17 at 8:43 am

Campy and a bit futuristic and cybergoth as well. IDK, something like a mix of emo, Mirror's Edge and gay pride parades.

Eh, I can get behind something like that. Although both campy AND futuristic culture describes the Late 1990s/early 2000s Y2K future craze (which I also love). I'd like to see a return of that in a new form.

Written By: wixness on 09/06/17 at 8:53 am

Camp somewhat crosses with gay culture, but it isn't the same as actually gay culture. I'd try to fully explain it, but that would make this post extremely long. Instead I'll give examples. A lot of 1980s pop cultural stuff can be described as campy the early 00s with its Y2K futuristic craze, extreme sports obsession, strange fashion ideas etc all can be seen as campy. Camp can be as seen things that are more ironic, artificial, and exaggerated. I've also read an old Nick book where the writer described a lot of Nick's appeal during the late 80s to early 00s was due the use both irony and camp in their TV shows like All That, Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Spongebob etc. The early 90s hip/cool urban craze is also described as unintentionally campy due to the overuse and exaggeration of everything trying to be cool and wicked.

Apparently the books/magazines I've read also mentioned that that around the 21st century Camp has been declining. The early 00s and to some extent the early 10s can be seen as campy. But the camp pop cultural aesthetic isn't big anymore due to the  pop culture trying to push for a more "sophisticated", "professional" and somewhat dark mood lately. Camp comes and goes. It started in the the 1960s and gained a ton of popularity in the 1980s according to what the books tell me (which is why a LOT of 1980s things are seen as campy).

For a more simple way of describing Campy it basically can be seen as  good kind of cheesiness. Cheesy is usually a more negative term while campy is what happens when something is cheesy, but that cheesiness is what makes it good. Movies like Ghost Busters, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, He Man etc all were described as Campy.

I think they're trying to have a brighter mood, what with emo being almost dead in the 2010s. I think emo could come across as "campy", because a lot of things that emo guys wear won't be worn by most other guys, as it's seen to be just that - campy. I think that that's why 2010s music sucks - it's trying too hard to come across as sophisticated and professional. Same with the fashion, what with all the guys wearing their hair short now.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/06/17 at 9:13 am

I think they're trying to have a brighter mood, what with emo being almost dead in the 2010s. I think emo could come across as "campy", because a lot of things that emo guys wear won't be worn by most other guys, as it's seen to be just that - campy. I think that that's why 2010s music sucks - it's trying too hard to come across as sophisticated and professional. Same with the fashion, what with all the guys wearing their hair short now.

Yeah, in previous decades music tried give of a professional look, but most from what most musical artists say back in previous decades the music industry was much more fun. Back then Musical artists from their teens to 20s were coming up with wacky ideas that would be seen as silly and cheerful (at least when it comes to 1980s for example). And we all know how 80's hair was long and goofy looking. All examples of camp being at play. Originally camp culture wasn't the same as pop culture, but by the 1980s camp culture ended up leaking into pop culture. Emo can be seen as campy. Especially with how the mass media portrays them.

It's funny how pop culture normally has a darker/cynical tone now. Camp is described to actually makes fun of that as camp doesn't take things too seriously. It's all for fun.  If the 2020s has a backlash against the darker/serious toned 2010s then the cheesy/campy factor may end up making a come back.

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 09/06/17 at 11:53 am

Eh, I can get behind something like that. Although both campy AND futuristic culture describes the Late 1990s/early 2000s Y2K future craze (which I also love). I'd like to see a return of that in a new form.
that would be awesome if that culture was made again,but in a modern way I bet it would blow everything away and end up being a great era no matter what decade it was in hopefully the 2020s real culture will be like this.

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 09/06/17 at 11:58 am

exactly its better to actually have culture of campy not just all seriousness that's really boring and look how the 10s ended up because of it.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/06/17 at 12:29 pm

exactly its better to actually have culture of campy not just all seriousness that's really boring and look how the 10s ended up because of it.

Eeyup. In the 10s everyone is trying to be all serious/mature about everything. Ruins the fun. 2010s is a good example of how I don't want a decade to be like. Pop culture is bland as dark/serious tone removes the more wacky and fun vibe. And since people are more concerned about nostalgia than anything else the chances of new and exciting things in pop culture has been slim.

Makes me happy pop cultural decade backlashes are a thing. Meaning by the late 2010s/early 2020s people will probably get sick of the dark vibe and nostalgia pandering which will give us a big change. Sadly I still can't give a good idea on when exactly the new changes will come and what will be the cause of it all.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/06/17 at 12:39 pm

The 70's was pretty serious and it had great pop culture.

Written By: Bab2781 on 09/06/17 at 12:42 pm

A mixture of 80's and 90's would be nice to see in the next decade.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/06/17 at 1:04 pm

That may be true. Although then again the 70s had its own original pop culture. Not just culture that was nothing more than nostalgia pandering of old pop culture. The serious '10s wouldn't be as bad if the pop culture was more distinct and fresh. Things have stagnated.

A mixture of 80's and 90's would be nice to see in the next decade.

That wouldn't be much better than what we have now. Pop culture that keeps trying to revive 80s and 90s stuff. Revivals are normal, but the 2010s pushes it too far. A new decade with its own distinct pop culture would be more memorable. One of the reasons people like the 1980s or 1990s is due to how distinct in terms of culture. A new decade with its own culture would be more memorable.

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 09/06/17 at 2:07 pm

Eeyup. In the 10s everyone is trying to be all serious/mature about everything. Ruins the fun. 2010s is a good example of how I don't want a decade to be like. Pop culture is bland as dark/serious tone removes the more wacky and fun vibe. And since people are more concerned about nostalgia than anything else the chances of new and exciting things in pop culture has been slim.

Makes me happy pop cultural decade backlashes are a thing. Meaning by the late 2010s/early 2020s people will probably get sick of the dark vibe and nostalgia pandering which will give us a big change. Sadly I still can't give a good idea on when exactly the new changes will come and what will be the cause of it all.
yeah I knew back in 2012 if the 2010s kept going this full on dark tone the decade would end up in a mess pop culturally,musically,and entertainment.You know not everyone likes a full on dark decade that's also why the box office was bad this summer no creativeness you know.if 2018 and 2019 can be better I won't bash the literally whole decade for being poor

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 09/06/17 at 2:14 pm

That may be true. Although then again the 70s had its own original pop culture. Not just culture that was nothing more than nostalgia pandering of old pop culture. The serious '10s wouldn't be as bad if the pop culture was more distinct and fresh. Things have stagnated.

That wouldn't be much better than what we have now. Pop culture that keeps trying to revive 80s and 90s stuff. Revivals are normal, but the 2010s pushes it too far. A new decade with its own distinct pop culture would be more memorable. One of the reasons people like the 1980s or 1990s is due to how distinct in terms of culture. A new decade with its own culture would be more memorable.
yup the 90s,80,and even some of the 00s are memorable because they were unique it was its own decade the 2010s you barely feel pop culture mainly because its not original,its bland and it's too formulaic.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/06/17 at 3:41 pm

yeah I knew back in 2012 if the 2010s kept going this full on dark tone the decade would end up in a mess pop culturally,musically,and entertainment.You know not everyone likes a full on dark decade that's also why the box office was bad this summer no creativeness you know.if 2018 and 2019 can be better I won't bash the literally whole decade for being poor

Hey if 2017 was the last full 10s year with 2018/2019 showing signs of change then I'll be pretty happy. A full on dark decade certainly isn't good. I'm still curious just what in the heck caused the darker tone to emerge. 2010-2012 for the most part were more upbeat and fun. Soooooooo what happened in late 2012/2013?

yup the 90s,80,and even some of the 00s are memorable because they were unique it was its own decade the 2010s you barely feel pop culture mainly because its not original,its bland and it's too formulaic.

Yep, 1980 to around the early (and some mid) 2000s nostalgia are what seems to be taking charge in pop culture. Although I've read an article a while back about how the 2000s will be the last decade where nostalgia will be huge. I hope this prediction is right as pop culture needs to be fresh again. 2010's pop culture isn't as noticeable as it's too busy trying to live off of nostalgia or the distinctly 10's bits of pop culture are very bland.

2010's certainly isn't a hellish decade, but it certainly isn't fun or memorable. But hey who knows. Maybe we'll be seeing some 10's nostalgia in the future. Although when that happens I might be in my 40s, but eh.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/06/17 at 3:47 pm

It's going to be hard for me to like another era like 1982 to 1995!  8)

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 09/06/17 at 4:25 pm

Hey if 2017 was the last full 10s year with 2018/2019 showing signs of change then I'll be pretty happy. A full on dark decade certainly isn't good. I'm still curious just what in the heck caused the darker tone to emerge. 2010-2012 for the most part were more upbeat and fun. Soooooooo what happened in late 2012/2013?

Yep, 1980 to around the early (and some mid) 2000s nostalgia are what seems to be taking charge in pop culture. Although I've read an article a while back about how the 2000s will be the last decade where nostalgia will be huge. I hope this prediction is right as pop culture needs to be fresh again. 2010's pop culture isn't as noticeable as it's too busy trying to live off of nostalgia or the distinctly 10's bits of pop culture are very bland.

2010's certainly isn't a hellish decade, but it certainly isn't fun or memorable. But hey who knows. Maybe we'll be seeing some 10's nostalgia in the future. Although when that happens I might be in my 40s, but eh.
right its not a terrible decade its just seems to be boring and too formulaic

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/06/17 at 5:06 pm

It's going to be hard for me to like another era like 1982 to 1995!  8)

I'm sure everyone has a specific era they'll always enjoy over the others due to things like nostalgia or some other factor. But I'm more concerned with having new and interesting pop culture again. Loving an old era is fine, but I try my best to keep my mind open for new things. New/original things is why people liked the previous things. Just make it happen again. 1980s wouldn't be as interesting if it was a continuation of the 1970s, right?

Written By: Slim95 on 09/06/17 at 8:08 pm

Whatever it is, I hope it is fresh and new. No more reboots and throwbacks of older times. There needs to be a brand new and unique culture.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/06/17 at 8:11 pm

Whatever it is, I hope it is fresh and new. No more reboots and throwbacks of older times. There needs to be a brand new and unique culture.

My thoughts exactly.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/07/17 at 12:23 am

Hypnotic music or music meant to hypnotize people
Music that makes people high

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/07/17 at 12:23 am

New and good not new and sucky like the 10s.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/07/17 at 4:48 am

Hypnotic music or music meant to hypnotize people
Music that makes people high

Sounds like the current state of Vaporware.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/17 at 7:15 am

I'd like to see that fashion come back.

Written By: chrissy2000 on 09/07/17 at 10:18 am

I Think the 2020's will about the New instead of the Repeat of things aka Fashion , Movies

Written By: wixness on 09/07/17 at 10:51 am

I Think the 2020's will about the New instead of the Repeat of things aka Fashion , Movies

I'm a bit wary about that. They already brought back socially conservative attitudes since Trump assumed office.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/07/17 at 11:03 am

Maybe she meant spread throughout most music genres? I like the idea either way.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/07/17 at 11:10 am

Maybe she meant spread throughout most music genres? I like the idea either way.

I terms of music I preferred it go back to its upbeat party sound. I'm all for a mainstream slower/Vaporwave-ish kind of sound. I just don't want all music to sound like that.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/07/17 at 11:14 am

I terms of music I preferred it go back to its upbeat party sound. I'm all for a mainstream slower/Vaporwave-ish kind of sound. I just don't want all music to sound like that.

I think it will for sure get more upbeat because it can't get any slower than it is now. A song that's like 110 bpm is considered upbeat these days which is pretty sad. I mentioned this on another post but I think mainstream music artists are on ritalin or something these days.  ;D

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/07/17 at 11:21 am

I think it will for sure get more upbeat because it can't get any slower than it is now. A song that's like 110 bpm is considered upbeat these days which is pretty sad. I mentioned this on another post but I think mainstream music artists or on ritalin or something these days.  ;D

Yeah, 110bpm is considered upbeat/uptempo nowadays. From what I've read the average BPM in a lot of "dance" music is 100BPM. Meanwhile in the 2000s and before BPM average was higher. 100BPM is on the low end of "mid tempo". And 110 bpm is also mid tempo. I get mad since genres like hip hop used to be uptempo and funky. Now I swear the genre's bpm has dropped to below 100 bpm.

The "dance" in "dance pop" has lost some of its meaning unless. Last time pop music was danceable was during the electropop craze where you had people like lady gaga making everyone go crazy. But her she hasn't had the same kind of fame for several years now. And even some of her latest songs don't have the same flare to them.

Written By: musicguy93 on 09/07/17 at 11:22 am

The pop culture of the 2020s should not be "new" just for the sake of being "new". It should be new, yet still be GOOD. There was a lot of stuff in the 2010s that could be considered "new" like hipsteresque fashion, overtly-dark T.V. shows/movies, trap music, indie-folk music, that annoying indie/hipster vocal style, etc. All the things I listed are what made the 2010s unbearable for so many people. So we shouldn't automatically assume that newness is automatically better.

Written By: musicguy93 on 09/07/17 at 11:23 am

I think it will for sure get more upbeat because it can't get any slower than it is now. A song that's like 110 bpm is considered upbeat these days which is pretty sad. I mentioned this on another post but I think mainstream music artists are on ritalin or something these days.  ;D

Plus, every decade is a reaction to the previous decade, so having more upbeat music in the 2020s makes sense.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/07/17 at 11:23 am

Yeah, 110bpm is considered upbeat/uptempo nowadays. From what I've read the average BPM in a lot of "dance" music is 100BPM. Meanwhile in the 2000s and before BPM average was higher. 100BPM is on the low end of "mid tempo". And 110 bpm is also mid tempo. I get mad since genres like hip hop used to be uptempo and funky. Now I swear the genre's bpm has dropped to below 100 bpm.

At least 130 bpm for something to be actually upbeat for me.  ;D

Plus, every decade is a reaction to the previous decade, so having more upbeat music in the 2020s makes sense.

That's true

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/07/17 at 11:32 am

The pop culture of the 2020s should not be "new" just for the sake of being "new". It should be new, yet still be GOOD. There was a lot of stuff in the 2010s that could be considered "new" like hipsteresque fashion, overtly-dark T.V. shows/movies, trap music, indie-folk music, that annoying indie/hipster vocal style, etc. All the things I listed are what made the 2010s unbearable for so many people. So we shouldn't automatically assume that newness is automatically better.

You say this as if I'm not aware. I know that new =/= good.  Although some of the stuff you mentioned actually were considered good. The more serious/dark TV shows have been well recieved with many saying that the 2010s is part of a golden age of TV. Trap music actually came from the late 90s/early 00s. The only things that kinda suck are the indie/hipster stuff you've mentioned. I can get behind some indie stuff, but not the music or fashion. I know that new stuff should be GOOD. I don't just like things before they're new. But I assume this didn't need to be stated.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/07/17 at 11:35 am

If the 2020s isn't a reaction towards the 2010s I'mma need you to join me in a battle to kill the future pop culture. But yeah we need more upbeat music. All my favorite genres are upbeat. So it's easy to see why I may not like 2010s music (well at least not the Top 40 radio trash). I don't want to have it where music is so slow and emotional that only high people can listen to it and dance to it.

Written By: wixness on 09/07/17 at 11:57 am

You say this as if I'm not aware. I know that new =/= good.  Although some of the stuff you mentioned actually were considered good. The more serious/dark TV shows have been well recieved with many saying that the 2010s is part of a golden age of TV. Trap music actually came from the late 90s/early 00s. The only things that kinda suck are the indie/hipster stuff you've mentioned. I can get behind some indie stuff, but not the music or fashion. I know that new stuff should be GOOD. I don't just like things before they're new. But I assume this didn't need to be stated.

I can get behind this.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/07/17 at 12:59 pm

I'm not the biggest Lady Gaga fan, but listening to her slightly older hits really shows the difference between today and almost 10 years ago.
2Abk1jAONjw

Wanna feel somewhat old? Well did you know that you first heard this song almost 10 years ago?  :o  That camp factor that Gaga pushed out really helped make her stand out. Need more of that in today's music. Upbeat catchy music.

And of course there were other late 00s/early 10s pop songs that had a more upbeat feel.
KQ6zr6kCPj8

This track is slightly slower, but hey it still has slightly more upbeat lyrics.
uSD4vsh1zDA

After 2013 or so music hit new trends. Electropop was the big thing and not stuff like trap. The changes in music really dates slightly old music when you notice the differences in sound.

The slightly more upbeat and catchy tune is what I need music to be like again. I'm sure it'll happen as we just had music being like this literally less than 5+ years ago. Although I'm curious as to why music stopped being like this.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/17 at 1:14 pm

Isn't that were the 80's were for?

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/07/17 at 1:21 pm

Isn't that were the 80's were for?

80s for an upbeat party sound or the vaporwave/slower sound? If we're talking about the 80s then I meant that I'd want music to be like how it was in the 80s. Not as in meaning that I want it to sound like 80s music, though. Rather I'd just want to same characters/vibe as 80s music. Vibes being the upbeat, campy, catchy vibe. Although then again there were other eras like 70s funk/disco, 40s Swing/Jump Blues, Late 90s & Early 00s Eurodance/House etc etc.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/17 at 1:30 pm

80s for an upbeat party sound or the vaporwave/slower sound? If we're talking about the 80s then I meant that I'd want music to be like how it was in the 80s. Not as in meaning that I want it to sound like 80s music, though. Rather I'd just want to same characters/vibe as 80s music. Vibes being the upbeat, campy, catchy vibe. Although then again there were other eras like 70s funk/disco, 40s Swing/Jump Blues, Late 90s & Early 00s Eurodance/House etc etc.

this is what I meant.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/07/17 at 1:35 pm

this is what I meant.

80s Party music is always nice, but I assume since music is starting to be targeted and pushed forward by a younger demographic I was thinking of the idea of use party music. In order for new music to be as good as old music the music would have to be both new and good. Or at least that's what I think. 

Written By: Slim95 on 09/07/17 at 1:46 pm

The slightly more upbeat and catchy tune is what I need music to be like again. I'm sure it'll happen as we just had music being like this literally less than 5+ years ago. Although I'm curious as to why music stopped being like this.

Music stopped sounding like it did in the early '10s because people have grown very tired of it and desperately wanted change. On this forum everyone was complaining about autotune electropop and they wanted it gone. It was overplayed and got old and boring real quick. I also wanted it gone and I'm glad it did go away. Change is good. Upbeat music is good but I definitely did not like music from the early '10s and I am glad it is gone. That sound should not come back and should be buried with the past. A brand new fresh sound in music should come, it should be upbeat too but not the same style as the early '10s.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/07/17 at 1:58 pm

Music stopped sounding like it did in the early '10s because people have grown very tired of it and desperately wanted change. On this forum everyone was complaining about autotune electropop and they wanted it gone. It was overplayed and got old and boring real quick. I also wanted it gone and I'm glad it did go away. Change is good. Upbeat music is good but I definitely did not like music from the early '10s and I am glad it is gone. That sound should not come back and should be buried with the past. A brand new fresh sound in music should come, it should be upbeat too but not the same style as the early '10s.

It's very possible to have upbeat music without it sounding autotune electropoppy like it did in the early 10s. Just change the specific sounds/style of the music,but don't remove the upbeat feel of it.  But to be honest all forms of music ends up being considered old, boring, and something people want to kill off quickly due to being overplayed. Disco, Swing, 80s Pop/Rock, Eurodance/Bubblegum dance, New Jack Swing, G-Funk, Electropop. EDM is now currently being pushed out. Soon I expect Trap to be next. All forms of music becomes big, gets overplayed, and then dies. Guess electropop dying isn't anything new or surprising now that I've just considered its reasons of dying.

Although I am curious as to what made people desire more slower and emotional these days. I can get killing electropop, but I don't get why people just didn't go for a new upbeat sound. Maybe people were just tired of upbeat stuff altogether.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/07/17 at 2:04 pm

Although I am curious as to what made people desire more slower and emotional these days. I can get killing electropop, but I don't get why people just didn't go for a new upbeat sound. Maybe people were just tired of upbeat stuff altogether.

Yeah I guess people got tired of it. But upbeat music will come back pretty soon I think because people will eventually get tired of the music we have now. I already see many people getting tired of trap music.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/07/17 at 2:08 pm

Yeah I guess people got tired of it. But upbeat music will come back pretty soon I think because people will eventually get tired of the music we have now. I already see many people getting tired of trap music.

I know I'm sick of Trap music. Most old school Hip Hop fans want the real hip hop sound to come back. Not the overly electrified strange sound/style of Trap. I think Trap's decline will also happen with EDM's decline which is currently being stated to be happening now. Although I'm wondering what will replace Trap. Hopefully something good. I don't want a Nu-Trap or Post-Trap.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/07/17 at 2:10 pm

Sort of but different. I mean chanting poetic words and subliminal messages that seep through your brain. A mixture of the perceptual and sub-perceptual.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/07/17 at 2:16 pm

Sort of but different. I mean chanting poetic words and subliminal messages that seep through your brain. A mixture of the perceptual and sub-perceptual.

I really hope not. I don't want subliminal satanic messages getting into my brain.  :-\\

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/07/17 at 2:18 pm

Also speaking of music since the EDM effect on modern music is dying I wonder if this will lead to slightly more organic/analogue sounding music. I'm sure we will still have Electronic music just not with the "EDM effect".

I really hope not. I don't want subliminal satanic messages getting into my brain.  :-\\

It won't be so bad. Just gotta do your best to mind block some of the messages.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 09/07/17 at 3:15 pm

Also speaking of music since the EDM effect on modern music is dying I wonder if this will lead to slightly more organic/analogue sounding music. I'm sure we will still have Electronic music just not with the "EDM effect".

It won't be so bad. Just gotta do your best to mind block some of the messages.  ;D

I hope pop culture does something new, but great.  :)

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/07/17 at 5:19 pm

I want the upbeat sound to return to but, I wouldn't completely knock off a hypnotic sound. If done right, could be amazing. Every genre would have a different variety in sound of it

That's beyond "All hope is lost for me." haha I hope that never happens to.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/07/17 at 5:57 pm

I want the upbeat sound to return to but, I wouldn't completely knock off a hypnotic sound. If done right, could be amazing. Every genre would have a different variety in sound of it

That's beyond "All hope is lost for me." haha I hope that never happens to.

A decade where you can have both upbeat, hypnotical, hypnagogic, and slower/emotional stuff all have around the same level of popularity would make the 2020s one of the best decades for music if majority of it is good. Although I am aware that "good" is subjective. I don't like modern music (top 40 radio stuff), but that doesn't stop record companies from making the millions.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/07/17 at 7:24 pm

A decade where you can have both upbeat, hypnotical, hypnagogic, and slower/emotional stuff all have around the same level of popularity would make the 2020s one of the best decades for music if majority of it is good. Although I am aware that "good" is subjective. I don't like modern music (top 40 radio stuff), but that doesn't stop record companies from making the millions.

Exactly. I once read a post from someone completely dismissing mainstream music, which was idealistic as hell. There is no real music. If there is, "Real music" is boring to me.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/07/17 at 7:34 pm

Exactly. I once read a post from someone completely dismissing mainstream music, which was idealistic as hell. There is no real music. If there is, "Real music" is boring to me.

"Real music" sounds like something someone who is overly pretentious would say. Music is music. Whether you like certain songs or not doesn't change the fact that they're labeled "music" like literally every other song that existed. Now one could say "Good music" and "Bad music" but we're getting into subjective territory which raises all kinds of bias.  I criticize mainstream music, but this is mainly due to taste (and that some songs are bland). I never attack anyone who does like mainstream music.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/07/17 at 8:28 pm

Yeah....NO.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/07/17 at 8:41 pm

A decade where you can have both upbeat, hypnotical, hypnagogic, and slower/emotional stuff all have around the same level of popularity would make the 2020s one of the best decades for music if majority of it is good. 

I lived through a decade or two like that.  ;)

It's very possible to have upbeat music without it sounding autotune electropoppy like it did in the early 10s. Just change the specific sounds/style of the music,but don't remove the upbeat feel of it.

I get what you're saying, but it still sounds like you are suggesting a formula. "Move this around, change that, make it upbeat..." Maybe I am just HOPELESSLY lost in the 60s/70s but what happened to people making honest music from the soul and however it came out is how it came out?  We had the folkies, the hard rockers, the soft rockers, Motown, jazzy sounding people and on and on. And much of it (not all) found it's way right into the mainstream. People meaning  what they sang. Artists leading the charge. Exactly why did that go away? Even if the styles had to inevitably change, why did the honesty go away? People used to be INSPIRED by music and musicians. People looked to a Bob Dylan or a John Lennon for some kind of insight and usually got it. Does anybody really want advice from a a Katy Perry or a Taylor Swift?

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/08/17 at 11:40 am

I lived through a decade or two like that.  ;)

I get what you're saying, but it still sounds like you are suggesting a formula. "Move this around, change that, make it upbeat..." Maybe I am just HOPELESSLY lost in the 60s/70s but what happened to people making honest music from the soul and however it came out is how it came out?  We had the folkies, the hard rockers, the soft rockers, Motown, jazzy sounding people and on and on. And much of it (not all) found it's way right into the mainstream. People meaning  what they sang. Artists leading the charge. Exactly why did that go away? Even if the styles had to inevitably change, why did the honesty go away? People used to be INSPIRED by music and musicians. People looked to a Bob Dylan or a John Lennon for some kind of insight and usually got it. Does anybody really want advice from a a Katy Perry or a Taylor Swift?

I don't want a specific formula as I'd love for a decade with multiple styles and variety. I love upbeat, but I also wouldn't mind if more emotional, hypnotic, or just straight up experimental stuff shared some fame. As for why the honesty and inspiration went away? I think the inspiration is still there. It's probably just the honest that is lost in some musicians. To be honest I'm sure there are a lot of talented artists out their who make some very inspired/honest music. Maybe it's the producers who're getting in the way of this  talent. You see an artists can't just make any song without getting the approval of his/her labeling company. It's why a lot of music sounds the same nowadays. The talent side of the music industry is being held on a leash by the business/executive side of the music industry.

For example remember Bruno Mar's Uptown Funk and 24K Magic? Apparently the people at the music company he was with was hesitant and didn't want to back/support the idea and style of his music. But when they took the risk we ended up getting two songs that I personally find to be enjoyable. In the 60s/70s there were a lot of popular forms of music and not everything sounded the same. Can go from funk, to soul, to jazz, to Gogo, to Disco. All would have their time in the spotlight. From an old documentary on Motown it seemed that they REALLY cared more on the talent than business. They cared about he business aspect, but they new that the talent and freshness of a certain artist would benefit their business. Doesn't seem to be like that now when it comes to things like Trap, R&B, and all the EDM.

Written By: musicguy93 on 09/13/17 at 2:27 pm

You say this as if I'm not aware. I know that new =/= good. Although some of the stuff you mentioned actually were considered good. The more serious/dark TV shows have been well recieved with many saying that the 2010s is part of a golden age of TV. Trap music actually came from the late 90s/early 00s. The only things that kinda suck are the indie/hipster stuff you've mentioned. I can get behind some indie stuff, but not the music or fashion. I know that new stuff should be GOOD. I don't just like things before they're new. But I assume this didn't need to be stated.

Sorry for jumping to conclusions  :P.

You've probably already heard me say this, but I'm still not convinced that the 2010s are "the Golden Age of T.V.". I've tried a few shows and they all felt the same to me. I'm tired of everything trying to be dark and serious. Even the cinematography is so dull and lifeless. I think there is a certain level of subjectivity to claiming that any decade is "the Golden Age of T.V.". If the current T.V. trends appeal to you then you will consider it a Golden Age. But for someone like me, who prefers shows from previous decades, there is little to nothing that appeals to my taste in the 2010s.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/13/17 at 2:43 pm

Sorry for jumping to conclusions  :P.

You've probably already heard me say this, but I'm still not convinced that the 2010s are "the Golden Age of T.V.". I've tried a few shows and they all felt the same to me. I'm tired of everything trying to be dark and serious. Even the cinematography is so dull and lifeless. I think there is a certain level of subjectivity to claiming that any decade is "the Golden Age of T.V.". If the current T.V. trends appeal to you then you will consider it a Golden Age. But for someone like me, who prefers shows from previous decades, there is little to nothing that appeals to my taste in the 2010s.

Hallelujah and amen! It's about time somebody pointed out that the emperor has no clothes and we are not in any kind of "golden age of television".  The "fertilizer age of television" is more like it. It's certainly not that I'm against anything being "dark and serious", it's just the monotonous way that it is done now. When did this style start that all the actors talk in this monotone whisper kind of thing all the time as if they are hypnotized or sedated? With a droning synthesizer in the background, as if to lull everybody into the same narcoleptic state.  As for the comedies, or the "dramadies", rather than being funny or humorous they are simply snarky. And has anyone noticed that the plots never really go anywhere? They just sort of meander in a lot of directions. No, I wouldn't say we are in a golden age of television right now, and I don't think history will think so either.  8-P

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/13/17 at 2:57 pm

It's just a television trend. Every decade has a handful of trends within television. The 2010's trends is mainly serious/heavy narrative along with comedy and some reality. Next decade will be something else.

As for this decade being the "Golden Age" I'm just going by what's often stated and looking at critical/commercial scores for the latest tv shows. Scores have been at a good high since late 00s onward. And the level of good critical reception has been consistent which is why people say it's a golden age. From how I see it the 60s to 10s are all kinda "meh" overall.

Check for new replies or respond here...