inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What event or thing will happen that will begin 2020s

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 09/05/17 at 5:29 pm

Its just a guess I know we aren't psychics thanks☺

Subject: Re: What event or thing will happen that will begin 2020s

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/17 at 5:49 pm

The 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo 2020, set to be held from 24 July to 9 August 2020.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/05/17 at 6:00 pm

The 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo 2020, set to be held from 24 July to 9 August 2020.

I'm not sure about this. The Olympics are never really important or significant enough to mark the beginning/end of a cultural decade. Even when something majorly notable or disastrous happens. For example, if one believes, as I do, that the cultural 60s petered to a close at the end of 1972, I wouldn't say that the horrendous massacre at the 1972 summer Olympics in Munich on September 5, 1972 in which in which eleven Israeli athletes and coaches, a West German police officer and five Palestinian terrorists died, awful as it was, had any bearing on the end of the cultural 60s which just sort of expired at the end of 72. As far as effecting decades go, Olympics tend to come and go without much of a ripple.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/05/17 at 6:06 pm

Most likely, Trump will lose his bid for reelection in 2020 in a landslide, and his successor will either be Bernie Sanders or Sanders-esque. Things won't be completely transformed in the matter of a few years, and I'm sure the Alt-Right will live on in some form after Trump is gone, but at the very least, getting a new President of the United States to repudiate already one of the most reviled chief executives in history is guaranteed to mark some shift in tone.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/05/17 at 6:26 pm

A small to moderate recession starting somewhere between 2019 and 2021.  :(

Written By: 2001 on 09/05/17 at 6:41 pm

* Playstation 5 and Xbox Scorpio release sometime in 2019. Maybe Nintendo will also release a new handheld?
* Possibly, depending on the way the console hardware are structured (maybe they all have tablets), new genres of video games can take root.
* Game of Thrones ending in 2019, and we'll need something else to fill the void.
* Speaking of which, I think short TV shows that are more adapted to being viewed on a smartphone in short bursts will become popular.
* Perhaps Apple will consider VR ready for mass-consumption in 2019, and tie the iPhone with it in a huge way.
* Brexit will finally be complete in 2019 (lol).
* Democrats might take back Congress in 2019.
* Hopefully ISIS will be eliminated by 2019.
* Google's self-driving car technology will release sometime in 2020.
* The Democratic primary in 2019/20 might get nasty and create further feelings of hopelessness.
* Hopefully you all have Spotify by 2020.
* The size of China's economy will surpass that of the US by 2019.

These are some ways that the 2020s can arrive about.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/05/17 at 9:03 pm

Spotify will likely have morphed into something else by 2020. Streaming is not the end all be all, anymore than downloading was. And if not by 2020, whatever Spotify does morph into (or whatever new mode of listening to/accessing music replaces it) just might usher in the 20s, whatever year it actually happens. Maybe circa 2022-23.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/05/17 at 9:26 pm

My prediction is that the cultural '20s will begin when the next President is inaugurated on January 20, 2021.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/05/17 at 10:13 pm

Ain't gonna happen for me haha.

Spotify will likely have morphed into something else by 2020. Streaming is not the end all be all, anymore than downloading was. And if not by 2020, whatever Spotify does morph into (or whatever new mode of listening to/accessing music replaces it) just might usher in the 20s, whatever year it actually happens. Maybe circa 2022-23.

I kind of wish physical media made a comeback. I was hoping this would be the case when Nintendo brought back cartridges (okay SD cards technically). But unfortunately I don't think this will happen because the internet is getting more and more faster and unfortunately streaming will get more prevalent. ): Still I wish physical media was cool again.

I learned in school that China will is expected to be the number one world economic superpower by 2019 and replace the U.S. in being the number one most powerful nation in the world by 2025. They are very close to achieving that

Written By: Slim95 on 09/05/17 at 10:20 pm

The cultural '20s will begin in late 2018, however there will still probably be a bunch of 2010s leftovers still around. I still believe there will be a huge shift in late 2018. I don't think Trump will have anything to do with it. I think a brand new artist will get popular with a new sound and it will make music sound different. I also think brand new tech devices with flexible displays will start getting popular in late 2018. Some other new cultural trends will pop up in late 2018 which will begin the '20s. I really, really hope the flat design mobile app trend DIES before 2020 because I hate it. I think late 2018 will bring a more 3D sleek design that will get popular on stuff. I could be wrong and this stuff doesn't happen until 2022 or 2023, but I think late 2018 and into 2019 is when this big shift and transformation will happen.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/05/17 at 10:22 pm

My prediction is that the cultural '20s will begin when the next President is inaugurated on January 20, 2021.

What if it's old Donnie again?  :o

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/05/17 at 10:42 pm

I kind of wish physical media made a comeback. I was hoping this would be the case when Nintendo brought back cartridges (okay SD cards technically). But unfortunately I don't think this will happen because the internet is getting more and more faster and unfortunately streaming will get more prevalent. ): Still I wish physical media was cool again.

I'm surprised that you said that :o.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/05/17 at 11:13 pm

The cultural '20s will begin in late 2018, however there will still probably be a bunch of 2010s leftovers still around. I still believe there will be a huge shift in late 2018. I don't think Trump will have anything to do with it. I think a brand new artist will get popular with a new sound and it will make music sound different. I also think brand new tech devices with flexible displays will start getting popular in late 2018. Some other new cultural trends will pop up in late 2018 which will begin the '20s. I really, really hope the flat design mobile app trend DIES before 2020 because I hate it. I think late 2018 will bring a more 3D sleek design that will get popular on stuff. I could be wrong and this stuff doesn't happen until 2022 or 2023, but I think late 2018 and into 2019 is when this big shift and transformation will happen.

We really don't know yet if there will be a significant shift in 2018.  There are always cultural changes and evolution, but large shifts generally occur around the time of generational change or major national events (9/11, election of Bill Clinton, Vietnam, etc).  I think we are slowly evolving from Gen Y culture to Gen Z culture and we might not see a significant shift like we saw in 2008 when Millennials were coming of age and we were experiencing the global financial crisis.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/05/17 at 11:18 pm

We really don't know yet if there will be a significant shift in 2018.  There are always cultural changes and evolution, but large shifts generally occur around the time of generational change or major national events (9/11, election of Bill Clinton, Vietnam, etc).  I think we are slowly evolving from Gen Y culture to Gen Z culture and we might not see a significant shift like we saw in 2008 when Millennials were coming of age and we were experiencing the global financial crisis.

That was just my prediction and hope. Of course nobody knows when or if there will be a shift soon. A shift can happen at any time and it doesn't always need to be linked to events. Nobody knows for sure until it happens.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/06/17 at 1:06 am

Asian pop will become popular by 2021.

sGRv8ZBLuW0

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/17 at 1:07 am

Thank you, I was about to ask when the next President is due?

Written By: Howard on 09/06/17 at 5:13 am

Most likely, Trump will lose his bid for reelection in 2020 in a landslide, and his successor will either be Bernie Sanders or Sanders-esque. Things won't be completely transformed in the matter of a few years, and I'm sure the Alt-Right will live on in some form after Trump is gone, but at the very least, getting a new President of the United States to repudiate already one of the most reviled chief executives in history is guaranteed to mark some shift in tone.

So who will replace him? ???

Written By: Howard on 09/06/17 at 5:13 am

* Playstation 5 and Xbox Scorpio release sometime in 2019. Maybe Nintendo will also release a new handheld?
* Possibly, depending on the way the console hardware are structured (maybe they all have tablets), new genres of video games can take root.
* Game of Thrones ending in 2019, and we'll need something else to fill the void.
* Speaking of which, I think short TV shows that are more adapted to being viewed on a smartphone in short bursts will become popular.
* Perhaps Apple will consider VR ready for mass-consumption in 2019, and tie the iPhone with it in a huge way.
* Brexit will finally be complete in 2019 (lol).
* Democrats might take back Congress in 2019.
* Hopefully ISIS will be eliminated by 2019.
* Google's self-driving car technology will release sometime in 2020.
* The Democratic primary in 2019/20 might get nasty and create further feelings of hopelessness.

These are some ways that the 2020s can arrive about.

I still have Spotify.

Written By: Howard on 09/06/17 at 5:14 am

Whoever that'll be.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/06/17 at 5:36 am

It's scary to think that January 2021 is only 3 years and 4 months away!  :o

Written By: 2001 on 09/06/17 at 6:34 am

Asian pop will become popular by 2021.

2009 was the peak of Kpop lol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/17 at 6:40 am

When was Gangnam Style a hit?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/06/17 at 10:30 am

When was Gangnam Style a hit?

Gangnam Style was a hit.....in 2012.

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 09/06/17 at 11:29 am

the early 2020s culture will begin late 2018

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/06/17 at 12:02 pm

You don't know that. Stop with these foolish predictions ::).

Written By: 80sfan on 09/06/17 at 12:40 pm

I meant in America. I'm guessing (a huge gamble  ;D ) that Asian pop
will become huge in the US by 2021.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/06/17 at 12:42 pm

Whoever that'll be.

What if it's Trump?

Written By: Slim95 on 09/06/17 at 12:44 pm

Yeah early '20s culture will start in the 2018 - 2019 school year.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/06/17 at 1:40 pm

I don't think that K Pop or any other form of Asian pop will ever become massively popular in the US outside of a niche group of mostly young females (ages 15-22).

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/06/17 at 1:48 pm

I don't think that K Pop or any other form of Asian pop will ever become massively popular in the US outside of a niche group of mostly young females (ages 15-22).

Language and cultural barriers along with the fact that Asian pop would be competing with American pop. Those several factors will get int he way of Asian pops massive success. Although I'm sure there will be a handful of successful songs from other regions.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/06/17 at 2:04 pm

Language and cultural barriers along with the fact that Asian pop would be competing with American pop. Those several factors will get int he way of Asian pops massive success. Although I'm sure there will be a handful of successful songs from other regions.

Yeah, I agree.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/06/17 at 3:09 pm

They could sing in English. But don't take my comment too seriously, I'm dreaming, man!  8)  8)  8)

Written By: exodus08 on 09/06/17 at 3:47 pm

Hopefully the impeachment of Trump in 2018. It may began the 20s or the social media backlash.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/06/17 at 5:00 pm

I tend to agree. If Americans can't even adopt many songs from the UK or Australia, they're not going to suddenly accept Asian pop music.

Written By: exodus08 on 09/06/17 at 5:15 pm

I tend to agree. If Americans can't even adopt many songs from the UK or Australia, they're not going to suddenly accept Asian pop music.

Other than Kylie Minogue, the Spice Girls, One Direction, Savage Garden, AC/DC, Lorde.ect I think you're right.

Written By: 2001 on 09/06/17 at 5:34 pm

Kpop was popular at my high school in 2009. I think it's still pretty popular here in Toronto. My high school/university are 30%+ East Asian though. But even everyone else is a bit into it. :P

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/06/17 at 5:35 pm

Other than Kylie Minogue, the Spice Girls, One Direction, Savage Garden, AC/DC, Lorde.ect I think you're right.

Lorde is a New Zealander. Even though some UK and Australian artists/bands have been really successful in the US, there's still a lot that haven't, despite the fact that they have achieved success worldwide. Think along the lines of bands/artists like Robbie Williams, Icehouse, Divinyls etc. A lot of Americans simply reject anything that wasn't made in the country. Even Canada has traditionally been more accepting of international artists.

Written By: exodus08 on 09/06/17 at 5:53 pm

Lorde is a New Zealander. Even though some UK and Australian artists/bands have been really successful in the US, there's still a lot that haven't, despite the fact that they have achieved success worldwide. Think along the lines of bands/artists like Robbie Williams, Icehouse, Divinyls etc. A lot of Americans simply reject anything that wasn't made in the country. Even Canada has traditionally been more accepting of international artists.

Have you seen the US top 100? Nothing But Trap Rap and Country. Yes we have bad taste in music but I don't reject music from other countries. I enjoy listening to Eurodance I just don't listen to music from South Korea or Japan because I don't understand the languages. Eurodance however uses the English language.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/06/17 at 5:54 pm

Kylie Minogue didn't really catch on here in the U.S.

Written By: exodus08 on 09/06/17 at 5:56 pm

Kylie Minogue didn't really catch on here in the U.S.

She was famous in the early to mid 2000s in the US. Same could be said for savage garden in the late 90 to early 2000s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/06/17 at 5:57 pm

She was famous in the early to mid 2000s in the US.

Not really.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 09/06/17 at 6:06 pm

Hurricane Irma will begin the transition into the early 2020s

Written By: exodus08 on 09/06/17 at 6:13 pm

Let's hope so lol

Written By: 2001 on 09/06/17 at 6:13 pm

This thread got me relistening to late 2000s/early 2010s Kpop. Messy.

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 09/06/17 at 6:16 pm

most likely

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/06/17 at 6:24 pm

Some of you think that a hurricane will cause a cultural shift.
http://i.imgur.com/DgRpO.jpg

Written By: exodus08 on 09/06/17 at 6:25 pm

Can't a guy dream.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/06/17 at 6:28 pm

My reaction when people start thinking that the cultural shift is because of a hurricane.
lhckuhUxcgA

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/06/17 at 6:32 pm

My reaction when people start thinking that the cultural shift is because of a hurricane.
lhckuhUxcgA

Exactly ;D.

Written By: annimal on 09/06/17 at 6:47 pm

I'll need another haircut

Written By: Slim95 on 09/06/17 at 6:55 pm

Kpop was popular at my high school in 2009. I think it's still pretty popular here in Toronto. My high school/university are 30%+ East Asian though. But even everyone else is a bit into it. :P

Yeah same here. KPop and JPop is pretty popular now where I live.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/06/17 at 8:08 pm

lhckuhUxcgA

;D ;D ;D

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/06/17 at 8:12 pm

Watch people come back on this thread 7 years later and laugh at our predictions

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/06/17 at 8:21 pm

Watch people come back on this thread 7 years later and laugh at our predictions

My predictions for a more upbeat, camp-influenced, colorful take on pop culture better come true!  >:(  This was achieved many times before. We can get it again!

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/06/17 at 10:38 pm

Have you seen the US top 100? Nothing But Trap Rap and Country. Yes we have bad taste in music but I don't reject music from other countries. I enjoy listening to Eurodance I just don't listen to music from South Korea or Japan because I don't understand the languages. Eurodance however uses the English language.

Yep. I regularly look at the Billboard Hot 100 chart, to see if there are any signs of music changing. I'm always left disappointed every time. :P Our Top 50 chart is just as bad, although country music isn't popular here (at least not in the mainstream). By the way, I wasn't referring to you personally not liking overseas music. I just meant people in general. :)

Written By: Howard on 09/07/17 at 7:21 am

What if it's Trump?

I don't think Trump will keep his term.

Check for new replies or respond here...