inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Old vs Young Millennials

Written By: bchris02 on 09/05/17 at 11:50 pm

Here is an interesting article on the difference between younger and older Millennials.

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2017/04/two-types-of-millennials.html

Basically, it divides the two halves of Millennials up by whether not they experienced the recession and rise of smartphones as young adults or as adolescents.  While I don't necessarily agree with everything the article says as I think 80s borns and 90s borns are more similar than different, he has a valid point.  Older millennials grew up in a time when we had technology but it was a novelty.  Not everyone had cell phones until we were in college or at least high school.  Smartphones didn't arrive until college or after for us older Millennials but 90s-borns had them as teenagers.  When you think about everything people go through as teens, having a smartphone through that experience could radically change the culture compared to us that came a decade before and didn't have them.

I think the recession hit those of us born from 85 through 90 the worst.  Those born after '91 or so are fortunate to have been spared the worst of the recession.  It is a lifelong career setback to graduate college during a recession.  Many '80s-borns took their time in college and were able to wait it out.  I graduated at the end of '07 so I entered the workforce right into the crashing economy.  That is a side of the late '00s I don't really think much about anymore, but it really affected my sense of well-being back then, whether I was satisfied with other areas of my life or not.

With that in mind, I would probably start the second group at about 1991 instead of 1988 as the article does.  88'ers, if they finished college on time, likely had it the worst being that they graduated in 2010.

Subject: Re: Old vs Young Millennials

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/06/17 at 9:43 am

The article defines Old Y as 1982-1988 and Young Y as 1989 and later. I mostly agree with what it said, though I would also push the date back to around 1991.

Gen Y is sort of like the Boomers. There's a clear divide between the Early Boomers that were old enough to serve during the Vietnam War, and those Later Boomers that were not. For Gen Y, the divide is those who came of age during the George W. Bush years and those who came of age during the Obama years.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/06/17 at 2:24 pm

My boyfriend Lee is a Millennial born. He was born in 1986, so I guess that makes him an older Millennial.

Written By: exodus08 on 09/06/17 at 3:45 pm

So does that make me a old or young  millennial?

Written By: 2001 on 09/06/17 at 3:47 pm

So does that make me a old or young  millennial?

You're one of us young farts ;)

Written By: exodus08 on 09/06/17 at 3:48 pm

lol I'll take it. I don't wanna be old.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/06/17 at 7:52 pm

I saw that article right when it was released. I can understand what the person is saying, but there are a few problems with the piece. It's true that 80s people had technology when it was a luxury, but so did some 90s folks. When looking at cell phones, most people forget that they didn't have unlimited anything compared to today, and just texting others in general at the time was increasingly difficult because of how the buttons were. As for smartphones, some 90s people were already in college by the time they were mainstream. That's one of the reasons why articles these days seem to have Millennials end at '94/95 instead of 1999/2000.

Social media, it's correct for 80s folks, and the same thing again with 90s people. Some of them were either in high school or college when it exploded where the general population was now using it compared to when only HS and college students used them. The rest were either in elementary or middle school when that happened.

As for the recession, everything is correct about it; however, the problem is what about high school and college students who were applying for jobs as it happened or high school graduates who go straight into the workforce? I noticed every time jobs are mentioned, it always seems to be about full-time work rather than both.

For Gen Y, the divide is those who came of age during the George W. Bush years and those who came of age during the Obama years.
As for the divide, I would say that depends on when the generation ends. This would be a great one if the cutoff is still 2000.

You're one of us young farts ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/06/17 at 10:57 pm

Wasn't the guy who made the article born in 1983?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/06/17 at 11:02 pm

What I typically go by based on research:

Not at school yet when 9/11 happened (In this case, mid-1996 would be the cutoff for leaning Y): Leaning Z more than Y (at least 50% Z)

Not old enough to vote last year: Significantly leaning Z more than Y (at least 75% Z)

Not born yet when 9/11 happened (born after September 11, 2001): Core Z (100% Z)

Late 1981-Mid 1986: Older Y (graduated after Y2K, all got Bachelor's degrees during Bush 43's presidency, all at school during USSR collapse, some might remember the Fall of the Berlin Wall)
Late 1986-Mid 1991: The core of Y (experienced the worst of the recession, in "double digits" when 9/11 happened, can't remember the Fall of the Berlin Wall at all)
Late 1991-Mid 1996: Younger Y (graduated HS before this decade really started becoming cynical, last to remember 9/11, didn't graduate through the worst of the Recession)

Another good indicator is this probably "not at school yet when the Challenger explosion happened but at school when 9/11 happened".

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/06/17 at 11:06 pm

Same goes for politics. Older Millennials from, say, 1986 to 1990, probably remember their parents discussing Gore v. Bush and maybe their reactions to the Bush win, and may have been more inclined to support Hillary Clinton because they've seen what happens when the party gets divided. The early 20-somethings of the younger Millennials loved Bernie, and may have stayed home when he got snubbed.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/06/17 at 11:07 pm

Same goes for politics. Older Millennials from, say, 1986 to 1990, probably remember their parents discussing Gore v. Bush and maybe their reactions to the Bush win, and may have been more inclined to support Hillary Clinton because they've seen what happens when the party gets divided. The early 20-somethings of the younger Millennials loved Bernie, and may have stayed home when he got snubbed.

Those are core Millennials.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/06/17 at 11:18 pm

I saw that article right when it was released. I can understand what the person is saying, but there are a few problems with the piece. It's true that 80s people had technology when it was a luxury, but so did some 90s folks. When looking at cell phones, most people forget that they didn't have unlimited anything compared to today, and just texting others in general at the time was increasingly difficult because of how the buttons were. As for smartphones, some 90s people were already in college by the time they were mainstream. That's one of the reasons why articles these days seem to have Millennials end at '94/95 instead of 1999/2000.

Social media, it's correct for 80s folks, and the same thing again with 90s people. Some of them were either in high school or college when it exploded where the general population was now using it compared to when only HS and college students used them. The rest were either in elementary or middle school when that happened.

As for the recession, everything is correct about it; however, the problem is what about high school and college students who were applying for jobs as it happened or high school graduates who go straight into the workforce? I noticed every time jobs are mentioned, it always seems to be about full-time work rather than both.
As for the divide, I would say that depends on when the generation ends. This would be a great one if the cutoff is still 2000.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The cutoff won't be 2000 under that circumstance.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/07/17 at 6:10 am

Those are core Millennials.

Which, the older Millennials or the 20-somethings?

Written By: Howard on 09/07/17 at 7:13 am

We're gonna experience it one way or another whether you like it or not.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/07/17 at 9:46 am

Which, the older Millennials or the 20-somethings?

The people you mentioned about (1986-1990 borns) are the ones I meant.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/09/17 at 12:21 pm

The cutoff won't be 2000 under that circumstance.
Yeah, that's true; however, most people don't think about aspect when the span is 1981-2000. By that, there would be 4 groups who came of age under Clinton, Bush Jr, Obama, and Trump.

Wasn't the guy who made the article born in 1983?
Yeah.

Not at school yet when 9/11 happened (In this case, mid-1996 would be the cutoff for leaning towards Y): Leaning Z more than Y (at least 50% Z)

Not old enough to vote last year: Significantly leaning Z more than Y (at least 75% Z)

Not born yet when 9/11 happened (born after September 11, 2001): Core Z (100% Z)

Late 1981-Mid 1986: Older Y (graduated after Y2K, all got Bachelor's degrees during Bush 43's presidency, all at school during USSR collapse, some might remember the Fall of the Berlin Wall)
Late 1986-Mid 1991: The core of Y (experienced the worst of the recession, in "double digits" when 9/11 happened, can't remember the Fall of the Berlin Wall at all)
Late 1991-Mid 1996: Younger Y (graduated HS before this decade really started becoming cynical, last to remember 9/11, didn't graduate through the worst of the Recession)

Another good indicator is this probably "not at school yet when the Challenger explosion happened but at school when 9/11 happened".
Very accurate!

Same goes for politics. Older Millennials from, say, 1986 to 1990. The early 20-somethings of the younger Millennials loved Bernie and may have stayed home when he got snubbed.
Older Millennials are those between 1980/81 to 1987/88. As for Bernie, what you said is correct; however, the problem is that depends on when the generation ends. There were some folks on the cusp of Millennials and Gen Z who loved Bernie.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/09/17 at 4:05 pm

80 and 81-ers are Gen Xers...that's what it says on Wikipedia I just looked it up. We are too old to be Millennials I think. I never get into these discussions because I don't like them, but I need to state what's true!

Written By: 80sfan on 09/09/17 at 4:12 pm

To me, older Millennials are 1989 and before.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/09/17 at 5:13 pm

80 and 81-ers are Gen Xers...that's what it says on Wikipedia I just looked it up. We are too old to be Millennials I think. I never get into these discussions because I don't like them, but I need to state what's true!
Well, you all are on the cusp of Gen X and Millennials, but overall most sources have said that 1980 is the start.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/17 at 5:18 pm

To me, older Millennials are 1989 and before.

Would that make me one?  ???

Written By: 80sfan on 09/09/17 at 5:38 pm

No, Howard. You're not a Millennial.  :D

Written By: 2001 on 09/09/17 at 5:48 pm

No, Howard, you're Degeneration X ;)

Written By: wixness on 09/09/17 at 5:58 pm

Old millennials: socially liberal, e.g. emo and rock music.

New millennials: socially conservative and reportedly short attention spans, e.g. remove kebab memes (not something i have a problem with, I know where this meme came from) and fidget spinners.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/09/17 at 7:06 pm

Perfect example: I, born 1990, am a "midway" Millennial. I'd always had it that the generation started in 1985.

By contrast, my baby brother was born 1996. I'd say he falls under Gen Z, and he's also socially conservative with a short attention span.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/09/17 at 9:09 pm

Perfect example: I, born 1990, am a "midway" Millennial. I'd always had it that the generation started in 1985.

By contrast, my baby brother was born 1996. I'd say he falls under Gen Z, and he's also socially conservative with a short attention span.
Nah. It had always begun at 1980/81 (and 1977 for old sources). The sources that put 1985 as the beginning are inaccurate.

Written By: Setemstraight on 09/13/17 at 4:08 am

Not at school yet when 9/11 happened (In this case, mid-1996 would be the cutoff for leaning Y): Leaning Z more than Y (at least 50% Z)

Theres only older and younger halves. There is no "core", there is too much overtlap between the older and younger half to have a "core". Nobody breaks down the generation like except for a few people on here.

Written By: Setemstraight on 09/13/17 at 4:16 am

There is no probably about it. 88ers to 90ers didnt pay much attention to the Bush/Gore election but 86ers and 87ers certainly did. I'm from the this cohert i know it as a fact.

Older milliennials are from 80/81 to about 88/89. Theres room for flexibility on these ends. No hard arbitrary lines.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/13/17 at 5:16 am

There is no probably about it. 88ers to 90ers didnt pay much attention to the Bush/Gore election but 86ers and 87ers certainly did. I'm from the this cohert i know it as a fact.

Older milliennials are from 80/81 to about 88/89. Theres room for flexibility on these ends. No hard arbitrary lines.

In our defense, we were ages 10 to 12 at the time...

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/13/17 at 5:45 am

No defense necessary. I barely paid attention to the race. My ears finally perked up the week of the election. I hadn't been following it at all but as a gay kid who watched the Republican party smear me and my fellow gays and other general non-conformists throughout the 90s, I didn't want Bush to win but he did and I was disappointed...but absolutely nowhere disappointed than when Trump won. lol

Written By: Setemstraight on 09/13/17 at 1:09 pm

Well you said those born from 86 to 90 Probably heard their parents talking about Bush vs. Gore. My point is they were already teens and probably heard all about what was  going themselves. Why circle in those spacific years? Do you think abd 85er or 91er would be diffetent from an 86er or an 90 born? Put the years that suit YOUR opinion. Its asinine.

Written By: Setemstraight on 09/13/17 at 1:12 pm

No defense necessary. I barely paid attention to the race. My ears finally perked up the week of the election. I hadn't been following it at all but as a gay kid who watched the Republican party smear me and my fellow gays and other general non-conformists throughout the 90s, I didn't want Bush to win but he did and I was disappointed...but absolutely nowhere disappointed than when Trump won. lol

You as individual just didnt care about it.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/13/17 at 1:40 pm

Same goes for politics. Older Millennials probably remember their parents discussing Gore v. Bush and maybe their reactions to the Bush win.

There is no probably about it. 88ers to 90ers didn't pay much attention to the Bush/Gore election but 86ers and 87ers certainly did. I'm from this cohort I know it as a fact.
Wait? Didn't either most or almost all Millennials paid attention to the 2000 election?

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/13/17 at 3:00 pm

Well you said those born from 86 to 90 Probably heard their parents talking about Bush vs. Gore. My point is they were already teens and probably heard all about what was  going themselves. Why circle in those spacific years? Do you think abd 85er or 91er would be diffetent from an 86er or an 90 born? Put the years that suit YOUR opinion. Its asinine.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here. Obviously kids born in '87 or so, who would've been teens at the time, would pay more attention to the election. I'm not drawing arbitrary lines, but I wouldn't expect a ten year-old to care about politics. They may remember the election but it probably didn't concern them. So yes, in that respect things were different for them.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/13/17 at 3:50 pm

So for the last few days, I have been looking at comments regarding the Xennials (or the Oregon Trail Generation), and I have to honestly that they are pretty much older Millennials whether they realize that or not. Every article I encounter always seems to discuss technology, but not much of anything else. Some older Millennials are boldly claiming they remember certain events such as the Cold War, Challenger, and even the USSR which were Gen X staples; however, they actually do not because they were still little kids when they all occurred. On top of that, some will even say they played Oregon Tail on the PC, but the one they're talking about is not even the original which was in green & black. instead, it's the one that was re-released and was all colorful.

Original

https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/thumbor/eqsdUwwuG2YblIkBBWF3XXbn8Lg/fit-in/1024x1024/filters:format_auto-!!-:strip_icc-!!-/2015/05/19/877/n/1922398/fd4a8a39_6517d65c091d1513_51653-oregon_trail.xxxlarge.jpg

Reissue (deluxe)

https://socialmediaweek.org/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2015/04/oregon-trail1.jpg

I understand there are cusps between generations, but the only ones who are literally exaggerating on those things are some older Millennials. I haven't come across many articles talking about the cusps between the Silent/Boomer, Boomer/X, and even Millennials/Z. Oh, and this statement is so hilarious. "Those born in the late '70s and early '80s were the last groups to have a childhood devoid of all the technology"

So I take it that means VHS, Walkmans and Discmans, were not important to them?

I mean just a take a look at some of these comments from these articles. Many Xers have stated they had the same experiences as most of the Xennials.

https://www.popsugar.com/tech/How-Technology-Influenced-Generation-X-37522155

https://socialmediaweek.org/blog/2015/04/oregon-trail-generation/

I was born in 1974, and this article basically tells the story of my life. This is silly. You aren't special, this isn't some special turn of the decade exclusive. Good grief. Y'all are Gen Xers. Get over it.

I would disagree in that as someone born in 1972 the age of the microcomputer started in the late 70s with the Apple 2/Vic 20/TRS80 and age wise I was about 8, when home PCs were starting to get popular (nowhere near a teen let alone fully formed adult), even if you argue 83 at the console game crash I was still only 11 so would honestly lump anyone born in 1970+ to the early 80s into this.

Not sure I entirely agree with all the article's details. I was born in 1972 (not the late 70's) and I was not a teenager yet when apple 2c showed up in the lab. I was only a 13 yr old 'teen' by the time 1985 came along. Don't recall seeing Oregon Trail as soon as I walked in the lab though. It was just a lab session in DOS. Also, let's not forget that consoles like Atari were already out for several years (as well as the video arcade for even longer ('Pac Man, donkey kong, centipede anyone?') when computers started showing up in homes. When I was in elementary school I remember going to my friend's house to play some Atari. I only saw my first home computer after we were all well versed in game consoles and arcade games, so the home PC revolution was not such a foreign entity to us Gen 'X'r's as the article makes it sound.

I would argue that GenX had an earlier deeper commitment than GenY did. We grew up in the Altair 8000, the Commodore era. The Atari 2600, Pacman 1980 so gen x was 10 to 15 years old, etc. Computers touched our lives in much more intense ways than those who grew up in the 80s and 90s. We built BBS systems that took technical know how that the later information age children can only aspire to. We build the foundations of the Internet and the mobile generation.

Many of us started with computers like the Commodore pet in school and actually had to create or program our own games. At home, we received the Vic 20. We played the hell out of info com games that inspire us to this day. So while Gen Y started with computers in the home. Gen X grew up with them in a very profound way that was not the least bit inferior to Gen Y

You are describing the tail end of Generation X. I was born in '71 and this all applies to me, just time-shifted a little. I was in junior high, not elementary for the Apple IIE days, was in college, not high school, when we started doing research online in addition to card catalogs, was in my early 30s, not 20s for MySpace and Facebook. But totally agree with your overall point that it's interesting to see how we are not afraid of technology, like many of the generation before us, but it's not a part of our DNA like it is for millennials.

I played Oregon Trail in summer school in 1977. It was just text, no graphics, except maybe some emoticons created by letters and punctuation. It seemed pretty well-known and widespread even then for anyone at all interested in computers. (It was invented in 1971.) Had no idea the later versions became so iconic for their era.

You have got to be kidding me. The kids born in the 70's were much more likely to encounter these things than in the 80's. If you were born in the 80's, you were a baby. You really think a 4-year-old was playing Oregon Trail? Seriously, use your brain.

"Those born in the late '70s and early '80s were the last group to have a childhood devoid of all the technology"

Really? I had every gaming console known to man and that was in 80-81

Anyone born in the 80s would have a minimal chance of having played Oregon trail. By the time they would have had the capability of being on computers .. we had the internet and AOL. 80s children are not in the same league as the 70s Xers.

Hmmmmmm. I was in college by the time many of you were born, and yet, my middle school had TRS 80s and my high school had Apple lls where we used Appleworks to write papers and played Number Munchers. I used a telephone handset cradle modem to call up the Library of Congress to do research for high school term papers, in addition to using the card catalog in the library. My friends and I grew up with novelty household computers like the Commodore 64, which could do amazing things with a light pen. When I was a teenager, I was certainly still "young enough and dumb enough" to talk trash all night long on BITNETrelay and later on IRC. (Granted, the network didn't have flashy MySpace graphics, but I had a friend who could print a 3-foot graphic of an entire Thanksgiving turkey or a swimsuit model using only ASCII characters.) All of this stuff was in place by the time you '80s babies were in elementary school. I was born in 1969 and would be hard pressed to find anyone from my generation who feels the least bit "alienated" by technology, and we definitely share your gratitude that graphics-laden social media was not the norm during our adolescence. Everything this article talks about is also true for us. So face it; you are "Generation X" just like the rest of us.

Thank you! 1969 here as well, never felt a second of alienation from technology. We built a hell of a lot of the things folks take for granted now. We also happen to have the good fortune of remembering how blazingly FAST things changed from the early 70s to the early 80s! If you didn't live through it, you can't imagine...

This article is completely arbitrary. Before MySpace and Facebook, there was Xanga and Livejournal and AIM and chat rooms and Geocities and Angelfire and IRC and so on. Also, Facebook was garbage in its early days and MySpace was always garbage.

The real generation gap begins with smart phones. Kids who are/were in primary and/or secondary school and had a smart phone have grown up super differently than those who haven't.

Sound like a grandpa. As if growing up without those experiences makes you somehow lesser. As if being the first ones to go through it makes you more elite. I went through all this too but was born in 75. I can tell you of all the first things I went through that you missed out on and life was too changed by the time you 80s kids went through it for you to get it. Just more of the same.

Kevin, I have about a decade on you and I agree completely. How many of these people can actually say they remember the birth of MTV? The thrill of seeing that Moon man (nowadays only seen as a statue at the increasingly-misnamed Video Awards), and then the video for "Video Killed The Radio Star"?

I'd like to submit that many of the BBS systems that were out there were in many ways social media. You could talk to friends, share files and pictures (however bad the quality!), and even sounds (almost always WAV files). Usenet and IRC would also qualify in many ways. Just because Facebook has become the be-all end-all social network doesn't mean that it was the first...

This article shows a very deep misunderstanding of the history of computers. Born in 1971, and by the time I was 8 years old, all anyone was talking about was computers. Me and everyone I knew spent our childhood huddled around a monochromatic screen playing Zork and other games. We were on BBN's (early internet) chatting. You think you were the first to experience this culture as a child, that is only because you lack the perspective to know what culture truly existed before you were born.

I was born just a hair earlier, in 1971, but I also remember the computer lab, but there were two different games I recall, though I no longer remember their names. One was a text based game, like Zork, but it was like a role playing game where you were going through the woods and encountered challenges. It was pretty much a test to see how much you knew about foxes. I think there was also a choice to be a dog or a cat, too, but I am not sure. I just remember one part where I knew foxes would eat berries, as that was a choice along the way, to eat them or not, while another friend thought foxes were basically pretty looking dogs, and wouldn't eat berries. The other game was something where you had to make a "widgets" in a particular order through three machines, though I can't recall what the point of that one was. Anyone else remembers the PRE Oregon Trail games?

And I definitely agree with these comments down below.

This article has NOTHING to do with geopolitics. It has to do with TECHNOLOGY. Period. "A big part of what makes us the square peg in the round hole of named generations is our strange relationship with technology and the Internet. We came of age just as the very essence of communication was experiencing a seismic shift, and it's given us a unique perspective that's half analog old school and half digital new school." "Those born in the late '70s and early '80s were the last group to have a childhood devoid of all the technology" "we showed up at each other's houses without warning; we often spoke to our friends' parents before we got to speak to them, and we had to wait at least an hour to see any photos we'd taken." This article has nothing to do with ANYTHING other than technology. How your supposed "different generation" learned all the new technology while you were tweens/teens. I'm saying I grew up similar, though I learned technology at a younger age, obviously. I know about card catalogs, recording songs onto cassette from the radio, painfully slow dial up the internet and being kicked off when someone calls. Things this article says younger Millennials don't know, I know. I'm still young, I know. But apparently, some of you people can't read. This article mentions NOTHING outside life besides technology. This is what I am responding to. I respect what you guys went through, and I'm glad I didn't go through it- it would be horrible. But when it comes to this article, I don't care. It has NOTHING to do with this article and everyone wants to infer their experiences or things that happened in this time and say "this article discusses the shift in the world." No, it discusses the shift in technology. Nothing further.

Rather romanticized and not very accurate. Also lacking a significant amount of perspective. Plenty of people born into the late 80's and even early 90's grew up without computers being available outside of school computer labs. And while Facebook and Myspace were invented in '03-'04, it was several years before they became commonplace. Plus the notion that anyone born before the late 70s was befuddled by this new technology is just foolish.

Plenty of Boomers got right on board with the new technology and resources that were coming along. More often than not they had a far better understanding of its usage and were more capable of taking advantage of what was offered than teens and college students at the time.

It's always funny how people seem to think they were on the edge of some sort of technological renaissance, conveniently forgetting that technology changes all the time, so everyone experiences changes as they grew up. Think about the people who grew up in the late 1800's early 1900's. In the span of their lifetimes, they went from having to rely on written letters and telegraphs to having radio and then television. As kids, they were around for the first flights, and by the time they were in their 60's we were making numerous trips to the moon.

Such experiences are not unique to any one generation (or sub-generation as this article focuses on). Unless someone thinks they can find a 20-30 year stretch (roughly the length of separation between generations) in the last; say 250 years; when technology just stagnated. Such a time doesn't exist.

Do you all realize that NONE of us posting are really the "Oregon Trail generation" unless you went to Carlton College in Minnesota in 1971? The game originally came out in 1971, on an HP 2100 mini computer, and was later licensed through the Minnesota Educational Computing Consortium (MECC). The MECC licensed it to Apple in 1979, and I was playing it on the Apple II in the early 80s when many of you were busily being born. The versions you were playing in the 90s (on Mac) were most likely the Oregon Trail Classic edition, released in 1990, or the Deluxe edition released in 1992; the last Apple II version came out in 1985. Just wanted to share that...

Written By: Setemstraight on 09/13/17 at 5:47 pm

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here. Obviously kids born in '87 or so, who would've been teens at the time, would pay more attention to the election. I'm not drawing arbitrary lines, but I wouldn't expect a ten year-old to care about politics. They may remember the election but it probably didn't concern them. So yes, in that respect things were different for them.

87ers were 13 in 2000 not ten

Written By: exodus08 on 09/13/17 at 5:55 pm

I was 10 in 2000 and no I wasn't  interested in politics but my teacher made me and my classmates do a project on who would we want as President. We had to choose between Al Gore or George W. Bush. They gave us a paper with their pictures on it  and they told us to circle one picture and put it in a ballot box and I chose George W. Bush because I thought he was older and wiser to run the country.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/13/17 at 6:12 pm

How can 1980 born people be millennials? By 2000 we were 20, out of high school and too old. We are Gen Xers just admit it!! Lol ;D

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/13/17 at 6:22 pm

How can 1980 born people be millennials? By 2000 we were 20, out of high school and too old. We are Gen Xers just admit it!! Lol ;D

I agree with you :). I think Millenials are 1982-(I'm not gonna mention the year to save us from another generational deabte ;)). However i would say those born in 1980/1 would be a cusp though and would have gen y influences

Written By: violet_shy on 09/13/17 at 6:38 pm

I agree with you :). I think Millenials are 1982-(I'm not gonna mention the year to save us from another generational deabte ;)). However i would say those born in 1980/1 would be a cusp though and would have gen y influences

I know lol, I'm just light heartedly messing with everyone :D

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/13/17 at 6:41 pm

I got that already ;)

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/13/17 at 6:55 pm

You as individual just didnt care about it.

Didn't say otherwise. I can't remember my friends caring about the election tho.

Written By: Setemstraight on 09/13/17 at 9:22 pm

Didn't say otherwise. I can't remember my friends caring about the election tho.

Maybe not caring but aware of it as any teen was that year

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/14/17 at 12:33 pm

I agree with you :). I think Millenials are 1982-(I'm not gonna mention the year to save us from another generational debate ;)). However, I would say those born in 1980/1 would be a cusp though and would have gen y influences
I totally understand the question was a joke ;), but the reasons why 1980/81 folks are just straight up Millennials is because you all were still in school when Columbine, Y2K and 9/11 occurred. You first presidential election to vote in was 2000. You all were affected by the recession, but you didn't lose as much compared to the Xers and Boomers. You don't remember the Challenger explosion very well and much more.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/14/17 at 1:12 pm

I totally understand the question was a joke ;), but the reasons why 1980/81 folks are just straight up Millennials is because you all were still in school when Columbine, Y2K and 9/11 occurred. You first presidential election to vote in was 2000. You all were affected by the recession, but you didn't lose as much compared to the Xers and Boomers. You don't remember the Challenger explosion very well and much more.

1980 borns, in general, already graduated from high school when the Columbine shootings occurred. They were also already in school by the time the Challenger exploded.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/14/17 at 1:19 pm

And so were 1977-1979 borns ???.

Unless your talking about mandatory schooling, but in that case only 1981 borns were in mandatory schooling, and that was ONLY for Columbine.

If you're referring to college, then most late 70's/early 80's borns were in school at the time. However, it is important to know that one's high school years, the core of one's youth, has a bigger impact on someone's life. So arguably these events would have more impact to those who were in high school during these events, at least from a generational standpoint.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/14/17 at 2:31 pm

Can you guys stop debating this nonsense please? For the sake of everyone ::).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/14/17 at 2:39 pm

1980 borns, in general, already graduated from high school when the Columbine shootings occurred. They were also already in school by the time the Challenger exploded.
That's true, but they were in college and when it happened. They do the Challenger explosion, but they most likely didn't understand it as it occurred.

And so were 1977-1979 borns ???.

Unless you're talking about mandatory schooling, but in that case, only 1981 borns were in mandatory schooling, and that was ONLY for Columbine.

If you're referring to college, then most late 70's/early 80's borns were in school at the time. However, it is important to know that one's high school years, the core of one's youth, has a bigger impact on someone's life. So arguably these events would have more impact to those who were in high school during these events, at least from a generational standpoint.
Yes, I'm including college in this. Most of them were still in school when those 3 events took place. While you're correct that HS is very important, so is the university.

Can you guys stop debating this nonsense, please? For the sake of everyone ::).
Well why it should it stop since the topic IS about Millennials. ;) ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/14/17 at 2:42 pm

Well why it should it stop since the topic IS about Millennials. ;) ;D

This topic has been debated a countless amount of times on here already. At first, I liked the debates...now it's just repetitive and annoying ::).

Written By: Howard on 09/14/17 at 2:42 pm

Can you guys stop debating this nonsense please? For the sake of everyone ::).

Thank You, this debate is going nowhere.  ::)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/14/17 at 2:47 pm

This topic has been debated a countless amount of times on here already. At first, I liked the debates...now it's just repetitive and annoying ::).

Thank You, this debate is going nowhere.  ::)
I know it's pointless, but it's at least much better than the political, religious and even the racism BS debates that are found everywhere online. ;)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/14/17 at 3:00 pm

I know it's pointless, but it's at least much better than the political, religious and even the racism BS debates that are found everywhere online. ;)

Racism debates don't really happen on here. Religious debates are rare on here. Also, political debates are WAY better than these stupid generational debates.

This site should be more about pop culture NOT generationology. However, then again....most off you guys just complain about the current state of pop culture...so it's probably futile to complain ::).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/14/17 at 3:05 pm

Racism debates don't really happen on here. Religious debates are rare on here. Also, political debates are WAY better than these stupid generational debates.

This site should be more about pop culture NOT generationology. However, then again....most of you guys just complain about the current state of pop culture...so it's probably futile to complain ::).
I didn't say here though. I said people will find those everywhere else online. You're right that the rest are rare on here.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/14/17 at 3:21 pm

I didn't say here though. I said people will find those everywhere else online. You're right that the rest are rare on here.

My point remains.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/15/17 at 5:27 am

This site should be more about pop culture NOT generationology. However, then again....most off you guys just complain about the current state of pop culture...so it's probably futile to complain ::).

Preach!

Check for new replies or respond here...