inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's up with these pop girls

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 09/06/17 at 11:14 am

I mean dang there hasn't been a big pop star female since gaga and that was all the way back in 08 and since then all these new pop stars females either flop or just are bland and I'm starting to think the whole big pop star woman thing has faded since my  girl gaga☺well hopefully we get a new exciting pop female in 2018 or 2019:the same can be said for rand b women,but that's a different topic.

Subject: Re: What's up with these pop girls

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/06/17 at 11:35 am

I think it's because people like Gaga actually went out of her way to make sure she stood out. Not only was her music upbeat and fun, but in a ton of her appearance she would have over-the-top outfits and a very fun vibe to her. I assume this all links to the more campy/upbeat vibe of the early '10s as people say Gaga's peak was during the electropop era which was during the late 00s/early 10s. Lately most of female (and even male) artists are trying to go for a more emotional, sophisticated, and professional look which can make things bland since everyone is trying to do it.

I mean look at pictures of Gaga on google. If I didn't know any better I'd argue that she never wears normal clothing. Everything she wears tends to be over the top and sticks out from the rest. Her personality, music, appearance etc all make use of exaggerated upbeat fun.

Artists just need to be original. Although I'm not sure if I had to blame the artists or the producers when it comes to music.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/17 at 12:20 pm

What about Adele? She is selling out concerts, having award winning albums, hit singles, etc!

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 09/06/17 at 12:24 pm

What about Adele? She is selling out concerts, having award winning albums, hit singles, etc!
Adele isn't pop to me

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/17 at 12:26 pm

Adele isn't pop to me
If she is not pop what is she, she is having records in the pop charts?

Written By: chrissy2000 on 09/07/17 at 1:38 pm

They're not creative no more...there playing safe.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/09/17 at 12:39 pm

If she is not pop what is she, she is having records in the pop charts?
I thought Adele is considered Adult contemporary. Her music and style are much different from the rest.

Written By: Rainbowz on 10/12/17 at 10:45 am

What’s up with these threads

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/12/17 at 10:52 am

What’s up with these threads
I was confused as you are?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/12/17 at 9:07 pm

Pop means popular, Adele is popular. Which makes her a pop artist.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/12/17 at 9:29 pm

So does that mean bands like Nirvana and Black Sabbath were "pop" bands as well? Pop is a genre in it's own right. Just because something is popular in the mainstream, doesn't mean that it's necessarily "pop".

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/12/17 at 9:37 pm

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/787/356/d6f.jpg

Written By: Slim95 on 10/12/17 at 9:55 pm

So does that mean bands like Nirvana and Black Sabbath were "pop" bands as well? Pop is a genre in it's own right. Just because something is popular in the mainstream, doesn't mean that it's necessarily "pop".

Yes they were pop.. Just as the Beatles were back in the day. Pop means "popular"... Look it up if you don't believe me. How is pop its own genre? It simply means popular music. Drake is pop as well.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/12/17 at 10:03 pm

Yes they were pop.. Just as the Beatles were back in the day. Pop means "popular"... Look it up if you don't believe me. How is pop its own genre? It simply means popular music. Drake is pop as well.

I understand the argument that The Beatles were pop, but "pop" in itself is mostly reserved to a certain genre of music. You're thinking of the term "popular music".

"Although pop music is seen as just the singles charts, it is not the sum of all chart music. Pop music is eclectic, and often borrows elements from other styles such as urban, dance, rock, Latin, and country; nonetheless, there are core elements that define pop music".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_music

Written By: Slim95 on 10/12/17 at 10:08 pm

I understand the argument that The Beatles were pop, but "pop" in itself is mostly reserved to a certain genre of music. You're thinking of the term "popular music".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_music

Yeah I know but when I talk about pop music I talk about mainstream music that is popular.

Written By: 2001 on 10/12/17 at 10:18 pm

Adele is pop, even if it's a very mature pop. "Adult contemporary" isn't a genre.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/19/17 at 4:29 am

Adele is pop, even if it's a very mature pop. "Adult contemporary" isn't a genre.
Adele is set to play Nancy in the new remake feature film of Oliver! Somehow I do not imagine her to be a Nancy... ?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/19/17 at 7:59 am

But she's British.
Why, Oliver! is set in London?

Written By: bchris02 on 10/19/17 at 9:50 am

I thought Adele is considered Adult contemporary. Her music and style are much different from the rest.

She is adult contemporary.  Delilah will be playing her for the next 20 years (if Delilah is still on the air then).

I definitely agree we are due for another Gaga-type pop star.  I think the closest we currently have is either Taylor Swift or Ariana Grande, and they aren't as big as Lady Gaga and Katy Perry were in the early '10s.

Written By: Howard on 10/19/17 at 3:26 pm

Why, Oliver! is set in London?

Will she be singing the soundtrack?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/19/17 at 3:26 pm

Will she be singing the soundtrack?
Yes.

Oliver! is a musical.

Nancy does sing "As Long As He Needs Me" and "Omph-Pa-Pa".

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/20/17 at 2:17 pm

She is adult contemporary.  Delilah will be playing her for the next 20 years (if Delilah is still on the air then).

I definitely agree we are due for another Gaga-type pop star.  I think the closest we currently have is either Taylor Swift or Ariana Grande, and they aren't as big as Lady Gaga and Katy Perry was in the early '10s.
I knew she was considered that. I don't hear her music as much on the radio compared to the other singers.

Well, I'm not sure about T-Swift. She's been on the scene for about 10 years so far, and she's either currently at her peak or past it. As for AG, that could happen with her new album next year, but that depends if she still continues the style as the previous. I think the only way we'll have another Gaga-type star is for an artist to blow up outta nowhere, and is just getting started in the business.

Check for new replies or respond here...