inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Twenty-Seventeen" or "Two Thousand and Seventeen"?

Written By: bchris02 on 09/06/17 at 4:59 pm

What pronunciation do you use?  I still say "two thousand and seventeen" but more and more people have switched to "twenty-xx" this decade.  I personally don't like this trend but many are starting to apply the same pronunciation to '00s years.  For instance, they would say 2007 as "twenty-oh-seven."  This seems to be the norm among younger Milllennials and Generation Z from my experience.

How do you pronounce 21st century years?  Do you pronounce '00s years different than '10s years or both the same?

Subject: Re: "Twenty-Seventeen" or "Two Thousand and Seventeen"?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/17 at 5:02 pm

20 followed by 17.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/06/17 at 5:13 pm

Twenty Seventeen. Curious as to why you don't like this way of pronouncing it.

I don't like saying "Two Thousand and..." as I find this way of pronouncing to be somewhat dated and odd to more I think about it. The reason I pronounce the 00s the same way I pronounce the 10s is because it just sounds better to me. Also saying "Two Thousand and..." can only work for a certain amount of time.

By the year 2077 for example saying "Two Thousand Seventy Seven" or in 2117 saying "Two Thousand One Hundred and Seventeen" just sounds odd and dated. Saying "two thousand" was mainly caused by the hype of the year 2000. And I imagine that all years after just followed it's pronunciation, but with an added number. I also assume people (especially younger millennials/Zers) are saying "Twenty-something" is prepare for the 2020s. Saying 2021 as "Twenty Twenty-Twenty One" sounds better than "Two Thousand and Twenty One". 

As for why people are saying the 2000s as "Twenty Oh something" is probably to make it sound closer to the more common way of saying the current years now.

This is all I could think of anyways.

Written By: exodus08 on 09/06/17 at 5:20 pm

I pronounce it Twenty Seventeen.  Thousands to me are 2000-2009 and every year after is Twenty (something)

Written By: 2001 on 09/06/17 at 5:27 pm

Twenty seventeen.

Two thousand seven for 2007 though. That will never change.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/06/17 at 5:41 pm

Twenty Seventeen. Curious as to why you don't like this way of pronouncing it.

I dislike 2007 as "twenty-oh-seven" which is becoming more and more common.  "Twenty-seventeen" is fine.  I am pretty sure that once we get into the '20s I'll ditch the "two-thousand-and" pronunciations.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/06/17 at 5:46 pm

Both, but most of the time it's Twenty seventeen.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/06/17 at 6:00 pm

I pronounce it Twenty Seventeen.  Thousands to me are 2000-2009 and every year after is Twenty (something)

I pronounce them like exodus08.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/06/17 at 7:20 pm

I say "Twenty-Seventeen"

Written By: Slim95 on 09/06/17 at 8:10 pm

First one. Why do you like pronouncing the year longer than it needs to be? I thought everyone stopped pronouncing it that way once 2010 hit.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/06/17 at 8:11 pm

First one. Why do you like pronouncing the year longer than it needs to be? I thought everyone stopped pronouncing it that way once 2010 hit.

I thought so as well.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/06/17 at 8:34 pm

I don't know...I guess it makes me feel like it's still the '00s.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/06/17 at 8:38 pm

I like Twenty Seventeen. Tow Thousand and Seventeen does sound dated and forced. I hate it as far as the 2010s.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/06/17 at 8:42 pm

I like Twenty Seventeen. Tow Thousand and Seventeen does sound dated and forced. I hate it as far as the 2010s.

At work we discuss 2020 quite often because of some changes that will be happening that year. I catch myself saying "two thousand twenty" quite often.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/06/17 at 9:20 pm

At work we discuss 2020 quite often because of some changes that will be happening that year. I catch myself saying "two thousand twenty" quite often.

I personally don't like it but to each his own.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/06/17 at 10:42 pm

I normally say "Two Thousand and Seventeen", although I sometimes switch it to "Twenty-Seventeen" for convenience.

It's weird how Americans and Canadians say "two thousand-six". :P People in the UK, Australia & NZ say it as "two-thousand and six". That's how I say it anyway, lol.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/06/17 at 10:43 pm

I usually say it like "twenty-seventeen".

Written By: Slim95 on 09/06/17 at 11:13 pm

I normally say "Two Thousand and Seventeen", although I sometimes switch it to "Twenty-Seventeen" for convenience.

It's weird how Americans and Canadians say "two thousand-six". :P People in the UK, Australia & NZ say it as "two-thousand and six". That's how I say it anyway, lol.

I say it like "two-thousand and six" if I'm saying it slowly and I'm Canadian. But if I say it quickly it would sound like the "and" is left out.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/17 at 7:18 am

20 followed by 17.

I agree, the best pronunciation.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/17 at 7:29 am

Twenty seventeen.

Two thousand seven for 2007 though. That will never change.
If said 20 followed by 7, it will sound like 27, and that year was many moons ago.

Written By: 2001 on 09/07/17 at 8:31 am

If said 20 followed by 7, it will sound like 27, and that year was many moons ago.

I think some people are saying it like "twenty 'oh' seven". Personally, I've never heard anyone say it like that, although I've heard people say it like "oh seven" for '07.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/07/17 at 1:24 pm

I think some people are saying it like "twenty 'oh' seven". Personally, I've never heard anyone say it like that, although I've heard people say it like "oh seven" for '07.

Yeah people don't say "Twenty Seven" they say "Twenty Oh Seven". People say '03, '04, 08 etc as "Oh Four" and  "Oh Eight" they just add the "Twenty in front of it making it "Twenty Oh Four" and "Twenty Oh Eight". Saying it this way isn't too common, but I think that by the 2020s when a majority of folk start saying "Twenty Twenty-Something" they'll recall 2000s years as "Twenty Oh...something".

Written By: Lizardmatum on 09/07/17 at 4:23 pm

I prefer two thousand and seventeen for some strange reason. As for calling 2007 'twenty oh seven'  that I think is just weird and im glad I havent heard it. let the 'two thousands' be!

Written By: Slim95 on 09/07/17 at 4:32 pm

I prefer two thousand and seventeen for some strange reason. As for calling 2007 'twenty oh seven'  that I think is just weird and im glad I havent heard it. let the 'two thousands' be!

I hear people say "oh seven" a lot. I heard a news reporter say "twenty oh seven" as well. I kind of like it, but saying two thousand first for that decade does sound more familiar.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/07/17 at 5:12 pm

No, I got Two Thousand and Seventeen mixed with twenty-oh-seven." I like Two Thousand and Seventeen and still use that pronouncing of the phrase. Its twenty-oh-seven, I hate. I also realized I don't really like Twenty-Seventeen. It sound too futuristic for me. I'm not ready for it. Haha

Written By: wixness on 09/08/17 at 8:46 am

"two thousand and seventeen"

Yeah, I'm still a 2000s kid.

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/08/17 at 7:15 pm

I dunno. Are we living in the year 2017 or 200017?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/08/17 at 7:58 pm

Great question. That's how stupid saying "Two Thousand Seventeen" sounds.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/17 at 7:24 am

Twenty-Seventeen

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/09/17 at 7:56 am

I say Twenty Hundred and Seventeen.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/09/17 at 9:34 am

I say Twenty Hundred and Seventeen.

Woah...that's weird :-X.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/10/17 at 3:47 am

For the 2010's I say either : "Two thousand AND seventeen" or "Twenty seventeen" (Usually the first one)

For the 2000s I say "Two thousand AND seven", or sometimes just "oh seven". I never say "Twenty oh Seven", that just sounds really stupid lol.

Check for new replies or respond here...