inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Culturally speaking, are we in the Late 2010s?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/07/17 at 7:07 am

Chronologically, we are of course, but do you believe we are currently in the midst of Late 2010's culture? I do believe there was a small shift in vibe/atmosphere around July 2016, although i'm not sure if that is any indication of the cultural period we're in. You could argue that Trump's inauguration marks the start of Late 2010's culture, however i'm not convinced. Although they are exceptions, I believe pop-culture is still heavily Mid 2010s influenced. What is your opinion on it?

Subject: Re: Culturally speaking, are we in the Late 2010s?

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 09/07/17 at 9:40 am

Yup we are still definentley for the most part mid 10s culture and would wonder how you could doubt it's not I think the actual late 10s will start in 2018-2021 probably.

Written By: John Titor on 09/07/17 at 11:23 am

We are in the cultural late 2010s

MTV TRL's return
Trump
All these terrorists attacks happening more and more
Small rejection of Social Media (The studies are out)
YOutube going downhill (Ad program not paying content creators, people leaving)
EDm dying
Gucci overtaking Saint Laurent

Written By: #Infinity on 09/07/17 at 1:06 pm

Geopolitically, we clearly are, since Trump is President and Theresa May is Prime Minister, but otherwise, I'm really not sure. Most cultural trends don't seem tremendously distinguishable from 2014-2016, and there may be some more significant changes within the coming year.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/07/17 at 1:15 pm

I'm not the most knowledgeable on pop culture, but when did the xxx7 year ever give ends go the late decade culture? 1987 still can be seen as very 80s. 1997 is seen as the last core 90s year. People say that the 2000s started changing into true late 00s/early 10s culture in 2008 and not 2007. Years like 1988, 1998, 2008 felt like the true start of the late cultural era in their decades. Maybe 2018 will continue this trend.

Written By: chrissy2000 on 09/07/17 at 1:35 pm

Sometimes Fashion trends can be a sign like compare 1992 to 1998.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/07/17 at 2:10 pm

I think 2018 will be the core late 2010's and we will truly be in late 2010's culture by then

Written By: 80sfan on 09/07/17 at 3:12 pm

Pop culturally, it's the same.  :P

Written By: bchris02 on 09/07/17 at 5:10 pm

I don't know....in terms of politics and Trump this is a very different era than the Obama years.

In terms of pop culture, we haven't really seen any new incoming trends yet but certain trends that defined years like 2013 and 2014 are either not popular anymore or are getting long in the tooth.

Teen pop is pretty much gone this year.  Hipsterism doesn't seem to be as big of a deal.  Dystopian young adult fiction movies and superhero movies also both don't seem to be generating the kind of excitement they did earlier this decade.  Musically, trap, R&B, and disco revival have dominated this year.

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 09/07/17 at 6:01 pm

Pop culturally, it's the same.  :P
yes because if were being honest there barely any real difference yet that's why either 2018 will be real change or the upcoming months.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/07/17 at 6:19 pm

Dystopian young adult fiction movies and superhero movies also both don't seem to be generating the kind of excitement they did earlier this decade.

I disagree. Just look at how successful Logan, Wonder Woman, Guardians 2, The Lego Batman Movie, and Spider-Man: Homecoming were. I think many will argue, in retrospect, that 2017 was one of the best years ever for superhero movies, and we still have Thor: Ragnarok and Justice League coming out later this year. The dystopian genre is also still going strong, with War for the Planet of the Apes being a huge triumph and Blade Runner 2049 on the near horizon.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/07/17 at 9:50 pm

I disagree. Just look at how successful Logan, Wonder Woman, Guardians 2, The Lego Batman Movie, and Spider-Man: Homecoming were. I think many will argue, in retrospect, that 2017 was one of the best years ever for superhero movies, and we still have Thor: Ragnarok and Justice League coming out later this year. The dystopian genre is also still going strong, with War for the Planet of the Apes being a huge triumph and Blade Runner 2049 on the near horizon.

You have a point about the superhero movies.  Guardians 2, Logan, and Wonder Woman were big.  The other two I never really haard much about.

In terms of dystopian, I would consider something like War for the Planet of the Apes to be in a different subgenre than something like Divergent, the Maze Runner, or the Hunger Games.  I would say its the specifically young adult dystopian fiction, typically targeted to females, that's currently waning.

I would say the genre is this decade's Harry Potter.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/07/17 at 10:36 pm

I don't know....in terms of politics and Trump this is a very different era than the Obama years.

In terms of pop culture, we haven't really seen any new incoming trends yet but certain trends that defined years like 2013 and 2014 are either not popular anymore or are getting long in the tooth.

Teen pop is pretty much gone this year.  Hipsterism doesn't seem to be as big of a deal.  Dystopian young adult fiction movies and superhero movies also both don't seem to be generating the kind of excitement they did earlier this decade.  Musically, trap, R&B, and disco revival have dominated this year.

I think the change is coming, and very soon. Those of us old enough to remember the early 2000s saw how 2000 through 2004 were very much a time loop of the late '90s. What ultimately killed the '90s though was the dawning of the Bush era, as we went from a whole lot of optimism and a culture basically owned by Gen X to the fear and paranoia of the War on Terror. The early 2000s culture held on for as long as it could before that national mood set into pop culture as well. The same is going to happen for 2010s culture, mark my words. It's sort of like the "last gasp" of a more liberal pop culture, same as what happened in the late '70s/early '80s as well.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/07/17 at 10:45 pm

I think the change is coming, and very soon. Those of us old enough to remember the early 2000s saw how 2000 through 2004 were very much a time loop of the late '90s. What ultimately killed the '90s though was the dawning of the Bush era, as we went from a whole lot of optimism and a culture basically owned by Gen X to the fear and paranoia of the War on Terror. The early 2000s culture held on for as long as it could before that national mood set into pop culture as well. The same is going to happen for 2010s culture, mark my words. It's sort of like the "last gasp" of a more liberal pop culture, same as what happened in the late '70s/early '80s as well.

I hope pop culture doesn't go conservative like it did in the '80s.  It didn't in the Nixon era and I think the current Trump era is more like the Nixon era than the Reagan era.  Culture as a whole hasn't moved to the right.  The Trump movement is simply angry reactionaries and yes, they will probably slow progress but they won't be able to stop it.  I saw a recent essay that stated that current 18-29 year olds are the most irreligious, socially liberal generation yet, moreso than 80s-born Millennials were back in the late '00s.  A lot more dislike Trump than support him.  It's simply the angry reactionaries who are currently in power because the areas of the country they control pull more weight than the blue areas.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/07/17 at 10:50 pm

You have a point about the superhero movies.  Guardians 2, Logan, and Wonder Woman were big.  The other two I never really haard much about.

What? You didn't hear much about Spider-Man: Homecoming and The Lego Batman Movie? ???

Spider-Man: Homecoming was MASSIVE. It was widely hyped and advertised...it also grossed over $700 million dollars.

The Lego Batman Movie was heavily advertised and grossed over $300 million dollars.

Both movies were GREAT, in my opinion.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/07/17 at 10:53 pm

What? You didn't hear much about Spider-Man: Homecoming and The Lego Batman Movie? ???

Spider-Man: Homecoming was MASSIVE. It was widely hyped and advertised...it also grossed over $700 million dollars.

The Lego Batman Movie was heavily advertised and grossed over $300 million dollars.

Both movies were GREAT, in my opinion.

I live in a small town.  There wasn't really a lot of hype for them here.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/07/17 at 11:01 pm

I live in a small town.  There wasn't really a lot of hype for them here.

Interesting....I wouldn't think that would be the case.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/07/17 at 11:12 pm

Yes we are definitely in the late 2010s and solidly so. You have to realize not all eras have to be drastically different than the one before. The three year change rule doesn't apply in real life. Decadology does not follow real life so just because we still have a lot of mid 2010s stuff around, does not mean we are not in a new era.

Here is how we are in the Late 2010s era

Donald Trump
Nintendo Switch
Far Right Movement (Rise of Donald Trump and Brexit all starting late 2015 to 2016)
People being pissed off about YouTube more than ever and actually moving to new video platforms
Bezeless Smartphones with display sizes around 6 inches common now
Slight music change
Early 2000s nostalgia creeping in
Death of Vines and slowdown of memes
Slowdown of viral videos
SnapChat, Meerkat, Periscope, etc. passing their peak
Superhero movies? (Was this as popular now as it was before 2015/2016? If so we can ignore that)
More collective concern of violence and world events
Fidget Spinners and other weird trends (like Pokemon Go in 2016 as well)

There are probably more but I can't think of it off the top of my head. Obviously not a drastic difference but the late 2010s will not be much different overall than the mid '10s imo. If you guys want real change, you will have to wait until early '20s culture arrives most likely.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/07/17 at 11:18 pm

I'm not the most knowledgeable on pop culture, but when did the xxx7 year ever give ends go the late decade culture? 1987 still can be seen as very 80s. 1997 is seen as the last core 90s year. People say that the 2000s started changing into true late 00s/early 10s culture in 2008 and not 2007. Years like 1988, 1998, 2008 felt like the true start of the late cultural era in their decades. Maybe 2018 will continue this trend.

I think we are still in the core 2010s, but out of the mid 2010s. The core 2010s started in 2011 imo and it will probably end next year.

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/07/17 at 11:20 pm

All i know is that i hate 2013-present.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/08/17 at 6:29 am

I hope pop culture doesn't go conservative like it did in the '80s.  It didn't in the Nixon era and I think the current Trump era is more like the Nixon era than the Reagan era.  Culture as a whole hasn't moved to the right.  The Trump movement is simply angry reactionaries and yes, they will probably slow progress but they won't be able to stop it.  I saw a recent essay that stated that current 18-29 year olds are the most irreligious, socially liberal generation yet, moreso than 80s-born Millennials were back in the late '00s.  A lot more dislike Trump than support him.  It's simply the angry reactionaries who are currently in power because the areas of the country they control pull more weight than the blue areas.

Characterizing it as "liberal" pop culture might have been the wrong tack, because I don't think pop culture is about to go conservative, per se. Even the peak 2000s weren't really "conservative," as we had the Day of Silence, most teens knew to hate Bush and the Iraq War, the drag comedian/musician Kelly had his 15 minutes of fame, the 2006 midterm election Blue Wave, "George Bush doesn't care about black people," etc.

It might be better to characterize the 2000-2004 time loop as a "defiant" culture, in which boy bands and sexually suggestive bubblegum pop reigned supreme, urban music talked about the issues of people living in urban areas was really prominent, the post-grunge bands still had a New Age-y quality to them, movies dared to aspire rather than conform (look at Insomnia by Chris Nolan or even the original Pirates of the Caribbean vs. the third Pirates movie), Dixie Chicks spoke out against Bush, and you had feminist female musicians who were still popular like Natalie Imbruglia and Anna Nalick. In short, the culture was trying really hard to resist change and hold on to "the dream of the '90s."

Fast forward to 2006 and you still have urban music in the charts, but the most popular bands include Breaking Benjamin and Papa Roach! And the songs they're releasing are not sexualized really, it's more emotionally charged. And then you have children's movies like The Incredibles, Robots, and Meet the Robinsons, which reflect the Republican idea of idyllic suburbia. So not so much conservatism and conformity. I hope this all made sense.

Written By: wixness on 09/08/17 at 8:47 am

All i know is that i hate 2013-present.

Same, dude.

Written By: John Titor on 09/08/17 at 9:47 am

I would say the last grasp you are talking about was in like August 2004, by Sept 2004 the 'REAL" 2000s started
lasting all the way to 2008

Written By: Slim95 on 09/08/17 at 10:08 am

How come nobody feels we are in the late '10s now? I'm shocked.  :o Look at all the things I've listed. I don't think much will change until late next year and early 2019 which will probably start early '20s culture.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/08/17 at 11:42 am

How come nobody feels we are in the late '10s now? I'm shocked.  :o Look at all the things I've listed. I don't think much will change until late next year and early 2019 which will probably start early '20s culture.

The things you've listed makes 2017 feel like a core 10s year that is transiting us to the late 10s period. Mid 10s trends are still big, but they're on their way out soon.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/08/17 at 1:29 pm

I would say the last grasp you are talking about was in like August 2004, by Sept 2004 the 'REAL" 2000s started
lasting all the way to 2008

Precisely. I made a Spotify playlist which I posted to the 2000s board that argues the 2000s "began" with the release of American Idiot.

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 09/08/17 at 2:25 pm

the things you listed will be transitioning things for the real late 10s and honestly 2017 won't probably be looked back as an official late 10s year.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/08/17 at 2:36 pm

the things you listed will be transitioning things for the real late 10s and honestly 2017 won't probably be looked back as an official late 10s year.

It probably will considering there probably won't be much change next year either. Game of Thrones is still running until 2019, the Star Wars trilogy is still running until 2019, Trump is still in office and there are little to no signs of music changing any time soon.

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/08/17 at 6:10 pm

Yes, culturally and politically, from late 2016 to present, we've had:
- Increased terrorism and fear in multiple western countries.
- A fierce battle between the left and right(more intense than usual). The general public seems to be disliking both sides.
- The release of the PS4 Pro, Switch and the announcement of the Xbox One X.
- Ultra HD resolutions becoming mainstream.
- Streaming services replacing TV and video.
- Nickelodeon is dying.
- Trap and Drill are becoming the new standard Hiphop sound.
- The decline in mass attention/increased criticism towards tumblresque, sitcom-like cartoons like Steven Universe,  Star vs the forces of evil and Adventure Time.
- The public learning to ignore Hipsters and Tumblr culture.
- the popularization of snap influenced pop.
- The mediocre global economy performance.
- YouTube becoming more like TV.
- Facebook plateauing in popularity.
- Fidget Spinners.
- Straight jeans coming back.
- increasing 00's nostalgia.
- The return of dead video game characters like Crash, Parapa and Spyro.
- Video game development costs skyrocketing out of control.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/08/17 at 6:41 pm

- Nickelodeon is dying.

Oh, this is much older than the 2010s.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/08/17 at 6:56 pm

I think this decade has had gradual change in many different periods so the traditional early, mid, late thing doesn't apply. This is how the decade went:

Mid to late 2011 had technological changes
Mid to late 2013 had pop culture changes.
Late 2014 to early 2015 had economic and social changes.
Late 2015 to early 2016 had political and slight pop culture changes.

These were the shifts that happened in this decade so far.

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/08/17 at 7:02 pm

Oh, this is much older than the 2010s.

Probably in the early 90s sure, but since then Nick has produced some of the best programming on children's TV. I remember coming home from school to watch Hey Arnold, Doug, The Wild Throneberrys, My Life as a Teenage Robot, Danny Phantom, Invader Zim, Three Delivery, Mr. Meaty, Catscratch, Making Fiends, El Tigre, Avatar, Wolverine and the X-Men, Ironman Adventures, Huntik and Kappa Mikey. Drake & Josh and iCarly were the best sitcoms on the channel aswell. Now all Nick has is Loud House to keep it afloat. CN literally stole Nick's thunder right out from under them.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/08/17 at 8:34 pm

Spongebob was the beginning of the end for Nick. When Avatar: The Last Airbender ended, it was curtains for that channel. There hasn't been good programming for Nick since.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/08/17 at 10:37 pm

Spongebob was the beginning of the end for Nick. When Avatar: The Last Airbender ended, it was curtains for that channel. There hasn't been good programming for Nick since.

I would say Spongebob was the last hurrah and ultimately lead to their decline because they placed all their eggs in one basket.  Nothing can last forever.  At one time, the Simpson's were very popular.  Today, people ask and wonder how the show has managed to last so long.  This video explains it pretty well.

r-seeo7gJF0&t

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/09/17 at 6:52 am

Yep! That's the video I was just about to post on the topic. Avatar and Danny Phantom extended Nickelodeon's shelf life by a few years (till, say, 2008 or so), but once they changed their business approach, that was it.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/09/17 at 12:36 pm

Yeah, I think we are now. Most of the things from the mid-10s seem to have somewhat declined; however, it might still be a transitional phase.

Check for new replies or respond here...