inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: RIP Toys R US

Written By: John Titor on 09/08/17 at 12:36 pm

https://gamerant.com/toys-r-us-bankrupt/

Subject: Re: RIP Toys R US

Written By: violet_shy on 09/08/17 at 2:25 pm

This is sad. :-[ I have so many good memories going to Toy R Us as a kid. There will never be another toy store like it.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/08/17 at 2:29 pm

Well, damn. I'm glad I got to experience that store in my childhood.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/17 at 4:00 pm

This is sad. :-[ I have so many good memories going to Toy R Us as a kid. There will never be another toy store like it.

I used to go to Toys R Us growing up and I bought a lot of video games there.

Written By: annimal on 09/08/17 at 4:12 pm

Use to love it as a kid them our store turned to crap long before now.  I remember making someone around here a giraffe.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/08/17 at 5:12 pm

Well they are not bankrupt yet.

Hopefully they will not become Toys Were Us.  :-\\

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/08/17 at 7:09 pm

I remember buying PSP games from Toys r US. Good Times.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 09/08/17 at 8:29 pm

Jesus Christ. I used to dream of having a child and taking her to buy Barbies at the Toys R Us.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/08/17 at 8:47 pm

Bankruptcy is not necessarily the end. It sounds like Kirkland & Ellis is helping them through a Chapter 11, meaning they'll probably get revolving credit to help them pay off the debt. Hopefully they'll end up back to normal operations.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/08/17 at 10:21 pm

Amazon.

Written By: Dude111 on 09/08/17 at 10:35 pm

Well, damn. I'm glad I got to experience that store in my childhood.

They were MUCH BETTER years ago anyway.....

They will be mi$$ed.......

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/09/17 at 6:52 am

I would like to emphasize bankruptcy, especially for a business, doesn't necessarily mean the company is kaput. Delta Airlines has been in bankruptcy more times than you can imagine.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/17 at 7:17 am

I remember buying PSP games from Toys r US. Good Times.

I used to buy Atari games.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/17 at 7:19 am

just like toy stores of the 80's such as Playworld and KayBee, toy stores can't last forever.

Written By: annimal on 09/09/17 at 10:16 am

KayBee  I know I use to go to one of those.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/09/17 at 10:49 am

Amazon.

Pretty much this. Amazon, for such a great invention, has been killing off tons of brick and mortar retail stores.

Written By: d90 on 09/09/17 at 9:32 pm

KayBee  I know I use to go to one of those.

Me too. I also used to go to Tyco Toys.

Written By: nally on 09/09/17 at 9:39 pm

I totally agree with this... it was lotsa fun for me as a kid too. (Of course you and I were kids at the same time!)

Written By: nally on 09/09/17 at 9:40 pm

They were MUCH BETTER years ago anyway.....

They will be mi$$ed.......

$o true, in more way$ than one :(

Written By: happyflower20 on 09/14/17 at 5:34 pm

NO!!!! I DONT WANT THEM TO CLOSE I GO THERE  ALL THE TIME

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/14/17 at 8:47 pm

So everyone's just gonna ignore my posts, then. Cool cool.

Written By: 2001 on 09/14/17 at 10:17 pm

I hope you're right. Toys R Us is where I bought my N64 and used to get my Power Rangers toys. Too many memories. :-\\

Written By: bchris02 on 09/14/17 at 10:53 pm

It depends.  Do you think Toys R Us can compete in a world where parents can order their kids' entire Christmas list with the click of a button (for less money)?  I would like to see Toys R Us survive because I don't like the trend of moving towards buying absolutely everything online but that is where we are headed unless brick and mortar stores like Toys R Us find ways to give customers incentive to buy there instead of on Amazon.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/15/17 at 5:31 am

It depends.  Do you think Toys R Us can compete in a world where parents can order their kids' entire Christmas list with the click of a button (for less money)?  I would like to see Toys R Us survive because I don't like the trend of moving towards buying absolutely everything online but that is where we are headed unless brick and mortar stores like Toys R Us find ways to give customers incentive to buy there instead of on Amazon.

I don't know. However, I think these obituaries are premature. First, the article said the chain is closing stores and considering bankruptcy, not that they have filed for bankruptcy. Second, not all bankruptcies result in the termination of the company. If an article comes out later saying they've entered Chapter 7 bankruptcy specifically, then I'd say it's safe to declare Toys 'R' Us dead. (Source: I studied Bankruptcy in law school, because I thought I was going to become a debtor's lawyer. While I'm at it though, I am not presently a bankruptcy attorney in any form and what I have just explained should not be construed or used as legal advice, and I will not represent anyone here who acts based upon what I have said.)

Remember also that although the future tends to favor the convenient, that the future is also uncertain and does not move in one direction. Who could have predicted ten or twenty years ago that vinyls would outsell CD's ever?

Written By: Howard on 09/15/17 at 7:08 am

NO!!!! I DONT WANT THEM TO CLOSE I GO THERE  ALL THE TIME

What do you buy there?

Written By: Howard on 09/15/17 at 7:09 am

I hope you're right. Toys R Us is where I bought my N64 and used to get my Power Rangers toys. Too many memories. :-\\

I bought my Atari games there.

Written By: John Titor on 09/19/17 at 9:20 am

LEARN to read if there are OTHER threads

Written By: John Titor on 09/19/17 at 9:37 am

this is the only thread

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/17 at 9:44 am

I am checking on the British situation, it  looks like the stores are still open, offering toys at £15 each. I need to visit a store to find out properly, and buy a few early Christmas presents.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/19/17 at 9:57 am

http://www.uscourts.gov/services-forms/bankruptcy/bankruptcy-basics/chapter-11-bankruptcy-basics

Chapter 11 - Bankruptcy Basics

This chapter of the Bankruptcy Code generally provides for reorganization, usually involving a corporation or partnership. A chapter 11 debtor usually proposes a plan of reorganization to keep its business alive and pay creditors over time. People in business or individuals can also seek relief in chapter 11.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/17 at 10:26 am

I am checking on the British situation, it  looks like the stores are still open, offering toys at £15 each. I need to visit a store to find out properly, and buy a few early Christmas presents.
Yes, the stores are still open.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/20/17 at 12:24 am

The times I was taken there when I was really young I loved it! They had some things in stock department stores didn't carry. It's more fun to see things in person and try them out than to make blind buys. The stores nearest me closed down some ago though.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/17 at 7:32 am

I wonder if the one in Queens is going out of business, maybe I should check? ???

Written By: Howard on 09/20/17 at 7:34 am

Yes, the stores are still open.

mine is open till 9pm.

Written By: musicguy93 on 09/20/17 at 10:31 am

I hate this trend too. It seems like all these tech companies in the 2010s are more focused on "convenience" and making life completely unbalanced. They seem to want to destroy the physical world.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/17 at 2:21 pm

I think it's the internet that ruined just about everything because people rather shop online than in the store.

Written By: nally on 09/20/17 at 6:05 pm

I think it's the internet that ruined just about everything because people rather shop online than in the store.

However there are some disadvantages to buying certain things online rather than in the store.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/17 at 5:24 am

mine is open till 9pm.
If I did not have flu, I would be investigating my local branch.

Written By: Howard on 09/21/17 at 7:03 am

However there are some disadvantages to buying certain things online rather than in the store.

You can't return the item or package in person, that's one disadvantage.

Written By: Howard on 09/21/17 at 7:04 am

I wonder if my branch is having a clearance sale?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/17 at 7:05 am

I wonder if my branch is having a clearance sale?
Exactly what is on my mind.

Written By: nally on 09/21/17 at 6:43 pm

You can't return the item or package in person, that's one disadvantage.

You can't even try out the item physically, to see whether you'll like it or not.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/21/17 at 6:57 pm

Last time I was in a TRU, I bought a Hannah Montana wig.

Written By: Dude111 on 09/21/17 at 8:36 pm

Im so sorry buddy.... Im just getting over it..... LOTS OF VITAMIN C!!!

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/21/17 at 10:02 pm

You can't even try out the item physically, to see whether you'll like it or not.

Seriously, this seems to be a serious disadvantage people overlook about online shopping. At least with brick & mortar stores you can examine the goods before purchase.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/17 at 11:14 pm

Im so sorry buddy.... Im just getting over it..... LOTS OF VITAMIN C!!!
Thank you, plus keeping warm and rest.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/21/17 at 11:33 pm

Is it actually closing down? This is terrible news...  :(

Written By: nally on 09/21/17 at 11:34 pm

Seriously, this seems to be a serious disadvantage people overlook about online shopping. At least with brick & mortar stores you can examine the goods before purchase.

Glad you agree. O0

Written By: Howard on 09/22/17 at 5:27 am

Last time I was in a TRU, I bought a Hannah Montana wig.

Why? Was it for you?  ::)

Written By: Howard on 09/22/17 at 5:28 am

Yes.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/22/17 at 5:56 am

Why? Was it for you?  ::)

No, it was for a Christmas collection for underprivileged kids. I got a Hanna Montana makeup kit, and threw in the Hannah Montana wig because I figured that would be the coolest part.  8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/22/17 at 5:56 am

They tell me that the TRU near my place is gonna be torn down and replaced with a zippy mart.

Written By: Howard on 09/22/17 at 5:59 am

They tell me that the TRU near my place is gonna be torn down and replaced with a zippy mart.

Is that a supermarket?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/22/17 at 6:19 am

Is that a supermarket?
TRU = Toys R Us.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/22/17 at 7:50 am

To clarify: many stores are closing down but Chapter 11 bankruptcy is not the end. Indeed, from the sound of the articles, TRU intends to make it out the other side.

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 09/22/17 at 8:36 pm

NOOOOOOOOOO! NOT TOYS R US! I bought Pokemon cards there! I bought Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land there! I bought a bunch of Barbies there! First Kmart, and now Toys R Us?

Who remembers when Toys R Us had kiddie rides in their lobbies? I remember being taken to a TRU in upstate New York and there being some Sesame Street kiddie ride there. My mom let me ride the thing while she paid. :-[

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/22/17 at 11:07 pm

NOOOOOOOOOO! NOT TOYS R US! I bought Pokemon cards there! I bought Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land there! I bought a bunch of Barbies there! First Kmart, and now Toys R Us?

Who remembers when Toys R Us had kiddie rides in their lobbies? I remember being taken to a TRU in upstate New York and there being some Sesame Street kiddie ride there. My mom let me ride the thing while she paid. :-[

I REMEMBER THOSE KIDDIE RIDES I LOVED THEM AS A KID XD

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/23/17 at 6:43 am

Indeed. My tender memories of Toys 'R' Us invariably involve going to the ramped-up video game section. I especially remember playing a demo for The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. God it looked cool in that section.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/17 at 8:33 am

I went into the branch of Toys R Us near me this morning, and the British side will not be affected by the US bankruptcy, and is still going strong over here.

So it will not be "Toys R Bust" here!

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 09/23/17 at 8:37 am

Indeed. My tender memories of Toys 'R' Us invariably involve going to the ramped-up video game section. I especially remember playing a demo for The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. God it looked cool in that section.

Link was SO CUTE in that game!

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 09/23/17 at 9:25 am

I went into the branch of Toys R Us near me this morning, and the British side will not be affected by the US bankruptcy, and is still going strong over here.

This is why I'm not convinced that it's simply online retail that's killing brick and mortar. Other countries with well-developed internet commerce aren't seeing what the U.S. is seeing as far as retail difficulties and failures. And some 90% of retail spending is still in physical stores.

My guess is it has more to do with the middle class's decline in the U.S. People like shopping, and if they have money and time, they'll go out more and shop more.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/23/17 at 10:01 am

Link was SO CUTE in that game!

Which is funny because at the time, the new look was widely reviled! I never cared about the look myself; it played like a Zelda game so that was good enough for me.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 09/23/17 at 10:18 am

Which is funny because at the time, the new look was widely reviled! I never cared about the look myself; it played like a Zelda game so that was good enough for me.

I regret being put off by the "Toon Link" graphics of The Wind Waker. Some of my favorite games are ones I misjudged the first time around.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/23/17 at 1:30 pm

Oh cool maybe Canada's Toys 'R Us won't be affected too then.

Written By: Howard on 09/23/17 at 2:53 pm

To clarify: many stores are closing down but Chapter 11 bankruptcy is not the end. Indeed, from the sound of the articles, TRU intends to make it out the other side.

They could try to find a way to fix the problem, we can only hope it's good news.

Written By: Howard on 09/23/17 at 2:55 pm

I also wonder about my area? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/23/17 at 3:52 pm

I also wonder about my area? ???

May be S 'n S can jump on this and add a toy department.

Written By: 2001 on 09/23/17 at 4:02 pm

I hate this trend too. It seems like all these tech companies in the 2010s are more focused on "convenience" and making life completely unbalanced. They seem to want to destroy the physical world.

I'm guilty of this. Amazon introduced same day shipping to Toronto this year and now me and my family do a lot of my shopping there, something we rarely did before 2017.

I was one of those 10 year olds who thought the new Zelda was too kiddy for me.  :-

I think it's North America wide.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/17 at 4:05 pm

May be S 'n S can jump on this and add a toy department.
Companies do merge when one is in crisis, you never know?

Written By: Slim95 on 09/23/17 at 4:29 pm

I think it's North America wide.

That sucks then

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/17 at 4:32 pm

That sucks then
Mastermind Toys eyes expansion in Canada as Toys ‘R’ Us flounders

https://globalnews.ca/news/3762703/mastermind-toys-expansion-toys-r-us/

Written By: 2001 on 09/23/17 at 10:13 pm

Mastermind Toys eyes expansion in Canada as Toys ‘R’ Us flounders

https://globalnews.ca/news/3762703/mastermind-toys-expansion-toys-r-us/

Ooo, I have one of these stores near my house. I might check them out with my nephews and nieces. I always thought it was a local store, since it has "serving this community since 1984" on its signage, but it appears it's just a slogan.

Their stores are tiny compared to Toys R Us though. It's just not the same.  :-\\

Written By: Ariana Grande mocha swirl on 09/24/17 at 5:39 am

https://gamerant.com/toys-r-us-bankrupt/

WHAT?!  NOOOOOOOOO that's where I got all my Barbies when I was a little girl!!!  I've had many occurrences of shopping with my mom at the same shopping center/mall as a Toys'R'Us and begging her to let me get a new toy.  She wouldn't always let me because I already had enough toys, but when she did, Toys'R'Us was my favorite!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/25/17 at 7:44 am

WHAT?!  NOOOOOOOOO that's where I got all my Barbies when I was a little girl!!!  I've had many occurrences of shopping with my mom at the same shopping center/mall as a Toys'R'Us and begging her to let me get a new toy.  She wouldn't always let me because I already had enough toys, but when she did, Toys'R'Us was my favorite!
Get your skates on quickly?

Check for new replies or respond here...