inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Taylor Swift’s New Single and Trump-Era Pop Art

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/08/17 at 2:03 pm

The article in question: http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/taylor-swift-look-what-you-made-me-do-pure-trump-era-pop-art.html?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=s3&utm_campaign=sharebutton-t

Apparently its full name is too long to use as a thread title. Anyway, I thought this was ripe for discussion, even if I disagreed with the thesis of the article. What are your thoughts?

Subject: Re: Taylor Swift’s New Single and Trump-Era Pop Art

Written By: Slim95 on 09/08/17 at 2:30 pm

I can't believe Taylor Swift's song reached number one on Billboard on the top 100. That is literally the worst song I've heard this year. Absolutely horrible.

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 09/08/17 at 2:40 pm

I can't believe Taylor Swift's song reached number one on Billboard on the top 100. That is literally the worst song I've heard this year. Absolutely horrible.
that just goes to show you  that music isn't exactly in the right    place right now.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/08/17 at 3:23 pm

God, why can't I live in the late 90s or early 2000s at this age? I have no idea what anything means anymore, nor do I feel like the world has any use for any of my feelings or personal style.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/08/17 at 4:10 pm

The song is pretty good. I'm not really a huge Taylor Swift fan but I like her new song. It sounds catchy.

Written By: 2001 on 09/08/17 at 5:47 pm

It's really bad. How did any Homo sapien decide that the pre-chorus was fit for consumption? The music industry needs ethical standards.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/09/17 at 12:31 pm

I haven't listened to her new song yet, but after seeing the statements I can tell she is going to decline from the mainstream soon or later. She needs to change her style fast, or she is going to be left in the dust.

that just goes to show you that music isn't exactly in the right place right now.
I really hope music next changes for the better next year. While there have been some excellent songs this year, most have been terrible!

God, why can't I live in the late 90s or early 2000s at this age? I have no idea what anything means anymore, nor do I feel like the world has any use for any of my feelings or personal style.
Same here girl! The late 90s and early 00s music were so much better even if it was cheesy or somewhat awful ;D.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/09/17 at 12:34 pm

I don't like the song either but you guys are vicious...damn ;D.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/09/17 at 12:37 pm

I haven't listened to her new song yet, but after seeing the statements I can tell she is going to decline from the mainstream soon or later. She needs to change her style fast, or she is going to be left in the dust.

Well that's the thing... She did change her style dramatically. And she isn't declining at all... She got nunber one on Billboard on her second week, it doesn't look like she is anywhere near decline and she is here to stay for a while. And her style is completely different from her happy positive pop from 2014 - 2015, the opposite really... And that was the first song this year that actually made my ears literally hurt.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/09/17 at 12:40 pm

Well that's the thing... She did change her style dramatically. And she isn't declining at all... She got nunber one on Billboard on her second week, it doesn't look like she is anywhere near decline and she is here to stay for a while. And her style is completely different from her happy positive pop from 2014 - 2015, the opposite really... And that was the first song this year that actually made my ears literally hurt.

You're correct...she's not declining at all. I agree with you on that last part as well, lol.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/09/17 at 12:43 pm

Well, that's the thing... She did change her style dramatically. And she isn't declining at all... She reached number one on Billboard on her second week, it doesn't look like she is anywhere near decline and she is here to stay for a while. And her style is completely different from her happy positive pop from 2014 - 2015, the opposite really... And that was the first song this year that actually made my ears literally hurt.
It must be #1 due to the streaming. How do you think Shape of You reached that number? If her song is making people ears hurt, she needs to change her style again and fast!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/09/17 at 12:45 pm

It must be #1 due to the streaming. How do you think Shape of You reached that number? If her song is making people ears hurt, she needs to change her style again and fast!

Taylor has a HUGE & dedicated fan base. Also, people like Rainbowz like it.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/09/17 at 12:51 pm

Taylor has a HUGE & dedicated fan base. Also, people like Rainbowz like it.
I'm not denying that. She definitely has one. OTT, it's just one song. Maybe the rest of her new album could be much better. If not, then she will start declining in the mainstream.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/09/17 at 12:55 pm

I'm not denying that. She definitely has one. OTT, it's just one song. Maybe the rest of her new album could be much better. If not, then she will start declining in the mainstream.

Nope, I don't think that you really understand the popularity of T. Swift. Most of you on here besides Slim95 don't seem to understand.

BTW, she has another song from her new album out that is called "Ready for It". That song is more akin to the songs from her last album but it's "meh" IMO.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/09/17 at 1:01 pm

Nope, I don't think that you really understand the popularity of T. Swift. Most of you on here besides Slim95 don't seem to understand.

BTW, she has another song from her new album out that is called "Ready for It". That song is more akin to the songs from her last album but it's "meh" IMO.
Well I do. I know she has been popular for almost a decade at this point and has been a superstar for some time. I remember listening to her well-known song You Belong to Me like it was yesterday.

Aside from that, those are just two songs so far. The rest of the album could be much better where it will reach #1 in the charts.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/09/17 at 1:06 pm

Yeah I heard that song and it is better than the first one but I still don't like it either personally.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/09/17 at 1:07 pm

But so what do you guys think about the article itself? About what the song signifies about the culture writ large?

Written By: Slim95 on 09/09/17 at 1:07 pm

Yeah they are streaming it because many people do like it such as her fans. I hate the song but other people like it, it depends on their taste.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/09/17 at 1:12 pm

Well I do. I know she has been popular for almost a decade at this point and has been a superstar for some time. I remember listening to her well-known song You Belong to Me like it was yesterday.

Aside from that, those are just two songs so far. The rest of the album could be much better where it will reach #1 in the charts.

That's basically what I was saying...

Yeah I heard that song and it is better than the first one but I still don't like it either personally.

Yep.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/09/17 at 1:17 pm

Yeah they are streaming it because many people do like it such as her fans. I hate the song but other people like it, it depends on their taste.
That's true.

That's basically what I was saying...
I know. Although again, if her album fails later on in the end, then her popularity will begin to diminish.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/09/17 at 1:20 pm

But so what do you guys think about the article itself? About what the song signifies about the culture writ large?
I read that it showed how much has changed since trump became president, and not for the better. It's basically about how much of a joke this country has become.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/09/17 at 2:14 pm

I may be in the minority but I really like Taylor Swift's new sound.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/09/17 at 2:17 pm

Me too.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/09/17 at 2:26 pm

I would like the song a little more if it didn't have that obnoxious 5-year-old mentality. The production actually reminds me a lot of certain early 80s synthpop songs like Trio's "Da Da Da," but the whole track is spoiled by its bratty tone.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/09/17 at 2:34 pm

I read that it showed how much has changed since trump became president, and not for the better. It's basically about how much of a joke this country has become.

Exactly, and discussing that was sort of my motive behind posting this.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/09/17 at 4:35 pm

I like the song, but it doesn't fit with Taylor Swift. If someone edgier and cooler sang it, I'd like it more. Taylor Swift
is too vanilla to sing this song!

Her dancing in the music video is cringey as hell.  8-P  8-P  8-P

Written By: 2001 on 09/09/17 at 5:58 pm

That song is much better, although would probably be a B-side from her 1989 album.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/09/17 at 6:02 pm

That song is much better, although would probably be a B-side from her 1989 album.

My heart, my heart. I'm dead.  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

https://malawi24.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/rip.png

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/09/17 at 6:05 pm

Maybe, lol.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/09/17 at 7:00 pm

I like the song, but it doesn't fit with Taylor Swift. If someone edgier and cooler sang it, I'd like it more. Taylor Swift
is too vanilla to sing this song!

Her dancing in the music video is cringey as hell.  8-P  8-P  8-P

Oh, you wanna see cringey dancing?

5j1vhCf5XKg

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/09/17 at 7:20 pm

I would like the song a little more if it didn't have that obnoxious 5-year-old mentality. The production actually reminds me a lot of certain early 80s synthpop songs like Trio's "Da Da Da," but the whole track is spoiled by its bratty tone.

Its funny you mention this because that's my main complaint with the song. Its almost like she represents everything about this so called 'Trump Era'. "I'm rich so I could do whatever the f*ck I want!. 'When you're a star they let you do what you want'. I'm a bad bitch, come at me son ;)".

Its pretentious as hell.....

Written By: Slim95 on 09/09/17 at 8:59 pm

Its funny you mention this because that's my main complaint with the song. Its almost like she represents everything about this so called 'Trump Era'. "I'm rich so I could do whatever the f*ck I want!. 'When you're a star they let you do what you want'. I'm a bad bitch, come at me son ;)".

I also don't like the beat. It's very messy and not catchy at all in my opinion. I find that a lot with these newer songs. It may just be that I'm getting older and really starting to outgrow this new style in music or something but I just hate it. Honestly I did not mind her 2015 stuff. Though I never actively listen to Taylor Swift because pop isn't my style of music, if Blank Space was on the radio it was very listenable to me and a catchy pop song.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/09/17 at 9:09 pm

I also don't like the beat. It's very messy and not catchy at all in my opinion. I find that a lot with these newer songs. It may just be that I'm getting older and really starting to outgrow this new style in music or something but I just hate it. Honestly I did not mind her 2015 stuff. Though I never actively listen to Taylor Swift because pop isn't my style of music, if Blank Space was on the radio it was very listenable to me and a catchy pop song.

True, I actually thought her previous album was pretty decent. I liked 'Out of Style' from that album the most!

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/09/17 at 9:21 pm

Yep, this sentiment exactly is highlighted in the article.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/09/17 at 9:38 pm

I thought it was more, "Look at me, my 50 relationships have failed, yet I blame everyone, but myself for my issues. It's always another man's fault! "

I'm sure a fraction of the guys were jerks to her, no doubt, but I doubt it's completely all of the guys' faults.  :D  :D  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 09/09/17 at 9:41 pm

5j1vhCf5XKg

I'll watch it tonight!  ;D

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/09/17 at 9:43 pm

I thought it was more, "Look at me, my 50 relationships have failed, yet I blame everyone, but myself for my issues. It's always another man's fault! "

I'm sure a fraction of the guys were jerks to her, no doubt, but I doubt it's completely all of the guys' faults.  :D  :D  :D

Taylor Swift has made a career out of playing the victim, and I think that's why this video/single has simultaneously generated so much commercial success but also controversy and discussion. There's no "look what I've done here," this is "look what you made me do." A very Trumpian way of looking at the world, of not taking responsibility for your own actions and problems.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/10/17 at 3:13 am

5j1vhCf5XKg

Dreadful.  :-X

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/10/17 at 6:02 am

Dreadful.  :-X

That video is amazeballs. It's so terrible in a good way. It would be awesome if it was made today. It'd be a great parody of the late 90s early 2000s pop era.

Back to the topic:

...I say this as a gay guy....but I think this is Taylor's last big hurrah. It's something I've noticed since Gaga's fall from super stardom. It seems when Divas play directly to their gay fans, their career lunges to the finish line.

I'm actually very afraid of putting my theory on "paper" because I don't want people to adopt my belief because this is based on conjecture. lol.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/10/17 at 7:01 am

I am interested in hearing you elaborate on that. What do you mean "play directly to their gay fans?" Granted I know next to nothing about Lady Gaga.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/10/17 at 11:47 am

...I say this as a gay guy....but I think this is Taylor's last big hurrah. It's something I've noticed since Gaga's fall from super stardom. It seems when Divas play directly to their gay fans, their career lunges to the finish line.

I'm actually very afraid of putting my theory on "paper" because I don't want people to adopt my belief because this is based on conjecture. lol.
This is why I have a feeling T-Swift will decline from the mainstream despite that she has a mega fan base. It seems like it's her chance to get back on top, and she could be blowing it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/10/17 at 11:57 am

Nevertheless, there are plenty of men left who would not mind partying with her...  :P

Written By: bchris02 on 09/10/17 at 12:58 pm

I would say Pink's new song excellently captures the mood of the Trump era.

ClU3fctbGls

Written By: #Infinity on 09/10/17 at 12:58 pm

5j1vhCf5XKg

*Sigh*, come on, it's cheesy, but in a very carefree, upbeat, and delightful way, one which makes you smile. It's the same reason I love stuff like S Club 7 and 80s MTV pop. Completely a different story from some mega diva who pretends she's moral nobility when really she's just having a hissy fit and yet people are still milking her chart-topping status. 8-P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/10/17 at 1:04 pm

Completely a different story from some mega diva who pretends she's moral nobility when really she's just having a hissy fit and yet people are still milking her chart-topping status. 8-P
Do you think that Swift will dwindle in the mainstream if her new album flops?

Written By: #Infinity on 09/10/17 at 1:07 pm

I would say Pink's new song excellently captures the mood of the Trump era.

ClU3fctbGls

In a big way, I would actually say this song and video are a pitch perfect summation of everything that has defined the 2010s: protests for diversity, melancholic angst, EDM with simple chord progressions, joylessness, dourness, wacky and buzzed hair, et cetera. It's a pretty good 2010s time capsule in general, not just the Trump era.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/10/17 at 1:08 pm

Do you think that Swift will dwindle in the mainstream if her new album flops?

She's far from fading, considering she already has two massive new singles under her belt this year.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/10/17 at 1:17 pm

She's far from fading, considering she already has two massive new singles under her belt this year.
Oh. I know she has two new popular songs which is keeping her in the charts, but do you think it could happen if her new album doesn't do well in the end?

Written By: #Infinity on 09/10/17 at 1:19 pm

Oh. I know she has two new popular songs which is keeping her in the charts, but do you think it could happen if her new album doesn't do well in the end?

I'm honestly projecting her new album to be like Ed Sheeran's Divide in that it will completely hog up the UK Top 20 because of how much streaming influences the charts nowadays.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/10/17 at 1:22 pm

In a big way, I would actually say this song and video are a pitch perfect summation of everything that has defined the 2010s: protests for diversity, melancholic angst, EDM with simple chord progressions, joylessness, dourness, wacky and buzzed hair, et cetera. It's a pretty good 2010s time capsule in general, not just the Trump era.

I agree. I would have to say it's probably one of the best songs out right now. I can relate to it so much looking back at my own life since 2009.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/10/17 at 1:25 pm

I'm honestly projecting her new album to be like Ed Sheeran's Divide in that it will completely hog up the UK Top 20 because of how much streaming influences the charts nowadays.
I think you could be right on that thanks to streaming. However, I have a feeling it could backfire in the next few months even if her popularity is currently strong. As of right now, there are small aspects of other musical genres making a comeback and that could possibly kill Taylor's super stardom a little.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/10/17 at 1:27 pm

The late '90s and early '00s had trash music. Every era has trash music.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/10/17 at 1:31 pm

Exactly.  Does anybody remember this?

y0p3jn7ODuc

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/10/17 at 1:32 pm

y0p3jn7ODuc
That's true, but some trash music are much likeable than others ;)

Written By: #Infinity on 09/10/17 at 1:37 pm

y0p3jn7ODuc

I'll admit that song is pretty stupid, but most of the commercial pop from the late 90s and early 2000s, in my opinion, was delightfully fun and a serious contrast to the claptrap we get nowadays.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/10/17 at 2:09 pm

That's true, but some trash music are much likeable than others ;)

Well that's based on opinion ;).

I'll admit that song is pretty stupid, but most of the commercial pop from the late 90s and early 2000s, in my opinion, was delightfully fun and a serious contrast to the claptrap we get nowadays.

There are some fun songs today.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/10/17 at 2:41 pm

Nevertheless, there are plenty of men left who would not mind partying with her...  :P

She's not the most attractive woman ever, but she's attractive enough.  :-X

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/10/17 at 7:26 pm

She's not the most attractive woman ever, but she's attractive enough.  :-X

Tout port dans une tempête.  ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 09/10/17 at 7:54 pm

I think Taylor Swift is very attractive personally.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/10/17 at 8:51 pm

Imo I think 2004-2008 had the trashiest music 8-P 8-P (except 2007 of course)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/10/17 at 10:37 pm

There was certainly trashy music during that time but also many good ones and that era was my childhood.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/11/17 at 2:39 am

I'm with you on this one. I remember being pretty dismayed by how incredibly trashy music was around that time. I haven't knee deep in the trash like that since 2007 or 08.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/11/17 at 2:40 am

I can remember not liking the music, even as a kid at the time. I chose to listen to the bands my parents listened to instead and that's why 90's grunge/alternative-rock is my favourite genre, lol. :P

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/11/17 at 2:46 am

I am interested in hearing you elaborate on that. What do you mean "play directly to their gay fans?" Granted I know next to nothing about Lady Gaga.

It's when divas start incorporating obvious queer images in their image.  "I'm Queen of the Gays. Bow down!"  Whether it's Madonna's Vogue, or Britney Spears kiss with Madonna her, or Lady Gaga's born this way...it's almost like gay pandering comes before a great career decline.

I'm not saying pandering to us queers is bad. In fact, I actually tend to love and appreciate it. I didn't like Swift's song but her video is fun as hell.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/11/17 at 5:13 am

Yes. As much as I might wax nostalgic about that period now, I loathed most of pop culture at the time. And it wasn't just music that was trash, either. I hated movies and TV as well. The only refuge I really had was video games, and that to me was arguably the only area of the culture at the time that was not only good but sensational in the peak 2000s.

Edit: Oh, except I would include 2007 in that assessment.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/17 at 5:21 am

BTW, is she paying MC Hammer and Rick James for the rip off?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/11/17 at 10:20 am

BTW, is she paying MC Hammer and Rick James for the rip off?

She interpolates the melody of "I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred NOT any song from MC Hammer or Rick James.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/17 at 10:22 am

She interpolates the melody of "I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred NOT any song from MC Hammer or Rick James.
I apologised, I got my songs mixed up then.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/11/17 at 10:25 am

I apologised, I got my songs mixed up then.

Oh you didn't need to apologize. I was just correcting you :P. Thanks anyways :).

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/11/17 at 7:36 pm

It's when divas start incorporating obvious queer images in their image.  "I'm Queen of the Gays. Bow down!"  Whether it's Madonna's Vogue, or Britney Spears kiss with Madonna her, or Lady Gaga's born this way...it's almost like gay pandering comes before a great career decline.

I'm not saying pandering to us queers is bad. In fact, I actually tend to love and appreciate it. I didn't like Swift's song but her video is fun as hell.

Is Tay Tay coming out as a gay lesbian? ???

Written By: 2001 on 09/11/17 at 9:23 pm

Is Tay Tay coming out as a gay lesbian? ???

She had gay backup dancers in her latest video. Also had a lot of scenes where she was drinking tea, although I don't think straight people will catch that reference lol.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/11/17 at 9:31 pm

She had gay backup dancers in her latest video. Also had a lot of scenes where she was drinking tea, although I don't think straight people will catch that reference lol.

Don't look into Taylor's eyes, she'll slither into your living room. Sssssssssssssssssss.  :(  :(  :(

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/11/17 at 10:02 pm

Also had a lot of scenes where she was drinking tea, although I don't think straight people will catch that reference lol.

Huh, I really don't. Care to enlighten us?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/12/17 at 4:27 am

How do you know the dancers were gay? ???

Written By: 80sfan on 09/12/17 at 9:05 am

Tout port dans une tempête.  ;D

A template in a port?  ???  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/12/17 at 3:49 pm

A template in a port?  ???  ???

Translated "any port in a storm"

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/12/17 at 4:29 pm

Translated "any port in a storm"

I knew the translated phrase but what do you mean by it? ???

Written By: JordanK1982 on 09/12/17 at 4:32 pm

This song is complete cow sh!t! 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/12/17 at 5:11 pm

I heard the song about 20-30 minutes ago, and I knew it was terrible after hearing other people's thoughts. She better hope her new album makes it to #1 or at least in the top 10, or she might decline in the mainstream.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/12/17 at 7:16 pm

To be frank, just because we (rightly) feel it's terrible doesn't mean others do. It's been #1 on the Hot 100 for three weeks, which admittedly isn't much but obviously we are not witnessing the dramatic downfall of Taylor Swift.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/12/17 at 7:22 pm

To be frank, just because we (rightly) feel it's terrible doesn't mean others do. It's been #1 on the Hot 100 for three weeks, which admittedly isn't much but obviously we are not witnessing the dramatic downfall of Taylor Swift.
There won't be a downfall unless her album flops. As of right now, she has another song that much better than this one.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/12/17 at 7:25 pm

Well right, that was sorta my point.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/12/17 at 7:29 pm

Well right, that was sorta my point.
Oh. My bad. Well at least she has another song from her new album which I heard is a little better than the one we're talking about.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/12/17 at 7:29 pm

I knew the translated phrase but what do you mean by it? ???

It has its roots in the maritime world. When one's ship is caught in a storm, one is not picky when in need of a port, he takes the first one that comes along.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 09/12/17 at 9:22 pm

That's something Beavis and Butthead would try and pull.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/23/17 at 5:23 pm

Well, it looks like her new album has been #1 for a few weeks now and outsold all the others on the billboard 200.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brittanyhodak/2017/11/20/taylor-swifts-reputation-outsold-every-other-album-on-the-billboard-200-combined/#6abccbe05fac

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8039679/taylor-swift-reputation-debuts-no-1-billboard-200-albums

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/23/17 at 6:53 pm

Well, it looks like her new album has been #1 for a few weeks now and outsold all the others on the billboard 200.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brittanyhodak/2017/11/20/taylor-swifts-reputation-outsold-every-other-album-on-the-billboard-200-combined/#6abccbe05fac

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8039679/taylor-swift-reputation-debuts-no-1-billboard-200-albums

I was right! I told ALL of you! 8)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/24/17 at 7:41 pm

I was right! I told ALL of you! 8)
Well, I wasn't wrong. I said if it flops, not that it will flop. To my surprise though is that it outsold all the other albums this year. I didn't expect that at all.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/25/17 at 4:31 am

Well, I wasn't wrong. I said if it flops, not that it will flop. To my surprise though is that it outsold all the other albums this year. I didn't expect that at all.

Nah, you still had heavy doubts...so you're wrong ;).

Anyways, I told you already that Taylor has a DEDICATED fan base and MEGA popularity 8).

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/25/17 at 10:28 am

I wonder what it says about Trump era culture, to bring it back to the original article.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/25/17 at 10:53 am

I can't believe she's still this huge, as a popular artist, six albums in. I'm surprised. I like her, but I don't consider myself a fan.

I know I have an avatar of her, but like I said, I'm not a huge fan, I just like her enough to listen to some of her songs.

Usually with teen stars, by the fourth album, you can see the sales slip and the young crowd slip away.         
Just look at Britney Spears by late 2003, her sales started to slip.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 11/26/17 at 8:06 pm

The new album is atrocious. This "badass white girl" thing is not happening. I'll be waiting for an album from the real queen of pop (Carly Rae Jepsen).

Written By: 80sfan on 11/26/17 at 8:12 pm

The new album is atrocious. This "badass white girl" thing is not happening. I'll be waiting for an album from the real queen of pop (Carly Rae Jepsen).

I'm not feeling her new songs, either!  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 11/26/17 at 8:18 pm

I'm not feeling her new songs, either!  ;D

Usually a singer declines after they release an atrocious single. Avril Lavigne's Girlfriend might have done well because people wanted to see a train wreck but she completely eroded her fanbase after that.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/26/17 at 8:20 pm

Usually a singer declines after they release an atrocious single. Avril Lavigne's Girlfriend might have done well because people wanted to see a train wreck but she completely eroded her fanbase after that.

I think people bought the Taylor album to spite Kanye, not to support Taylor.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/26/17 at 9:25 pm

I think people bought the Taylor album to spite Kanye, not to support Taylor.  ;D  ;D  ;D
Are you both saying that she will decline sooner or later? I have that feeling despite her album outsold all the others.

Written By: TheDude1999 on 12/10/17 at 6:57 pm

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8062850/u2-songs-of-experience-billboard-200-chart

After 3 weeks at number one, Taylor Swift is replaced by U2, with the rock band selling 180,000 copies. Taylor Swift’s run at the top has ended with her sales dropping to 112,000 (but still at a respectable #3 on the Billboard 200).

Written By: 80sfan on 12/10/17 at 7:21 pm

Are you both saying that she will decline sooner or later? I have that feeling despite her album outsold all the others.

She is in decline. Partly because her image has been exposed as not being 100% real. But also, just partly because
that is the nature of a popular artist's journey. Taylor Swift has been around since 2006, it makes sense that 10/11 years
into her career, she isn't selling like gangbusters anymore! It really is a mix of both.

It's also partly because Taylor comes off as a try-hard with her rapping and r&b songs. And her straying from country. I just
think that, overall, it was just the right time for her bubble to pop! If it could happen to Madonna, with the Sex book, it could
happen to Taylor Swift. It isn't that Madonna just dropped off the face of the earth, or anything like that, after 1992, it's just
that after her Sex book in October of 1992, she wasn't going to sell 7/8 million copies of her albums anymore. It's a normal
process of any artist to decline, usually after the 10 year mark.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/10/17 at 7:29 pm

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8062850/u2-songs-of-experience-billboard-200-chart

After 3 weeks at number one, Taylor Swift is replaced by U2, with the rock band selling 180,000 copies. Taylor Swift’s run at the top has ended with her sales dropping to 112,000 (but still at a respectable #3 on the Billboard 200).

Taylor Swift's Reputation will probably end up selling 2 to 2.5 million copies, in the US alone. That's really good for an album in 2017, and six albums in. I love her calculating personality, and how good she is with marketing!

Written By: Slim95 on 12/10/17 at 7:41 pm

She is in decline. Partly because her image has been exposed as not being 100% real. But also, just partly because
that is the nature of a popular artist's journey. Taylor Swift has been around since 2006, it makes sense that 10/11 years
into her career, she isn't selling like gangbusters anymore! It really is a mix of both.

It's also partly because Taylor comes off as a try-hard with her rapping and r&b songs. And her straying from country. I just
think that, overall, it was just the right time for her bubble to pop! If it could happen to Madonna, with the Sex book, it could
happen to Taylor Swift. It isn't that Madonna just dropped off the face of the earth, or anything like that, after 1992, it's just
that after her Sex book in October of 1992, she wasn't going to sell 7/8 million copies of her albums anymore. It's a normal
process of any artist to decline, usually after the 10 year mark.

Looks like Taylor Swift's peak was in 2015.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/10/17 at 7:44 pm

I don't know. I don't know enough about her. But July 2016, and the whole Kimye and Taylor
thing popped that Taylor bubble!  ;D

Written By: TheDude1999 on 12/11/17 at 5:19 pm

Her best album was probably Red.

Written By: 2001 on 12/11/17 at 5:49 pm

Yeah, Red was my favourite and 1989 in a close second (it had a lot of boring ass filler songs). I don't care for her other albums.

Written By: pink.panda_v3 on 12/11/17 at 6:04 pm

There’s only very few songs I like from her album reputation. The rest are  8-P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/11/17 at 9:48 pm

She is in decline partly because her image exposed her as not being 100% real. But also, just partly because
that is the nature of a popular artist's journey. Taylor Swift has been around since 2006; it makes sense that 10/11 years
into her career, she isn't selling like gangbusters anymore! It is a mix of both.

It's also partly because Taylor comes off as a try-hard with her rapping and r&b songs. And her straying from the country music. I just
think that, overall, it was only the right time for her bubble to pop! If it could happen to Madonna, with the Sex book, it could
that after her Sex book in October of 1992, she wasn't going to sell 7/8 million copies of her albums anymore. It's a standard
process of any artist to decline, usually after the 10-year mark.
Yeah, that's true. There has been evidence that she hasn't come off as authentic which killed some of her sales over the last few years, and that she's making songs that don't suit her style. I say it's funny that you mention the 10-year mark considering there are artists out there who have surpassed that and are still relevant today. However, though, I'm not sure how much superstardom they have currently.

It looks like Taylor Swift's peak was in 2015.

Yeah, Red was my favorite and 1989 in a close second (it had a lot of boring ass filler songs). I don't care for her other albums.
I agree with all three of you. I honestly think those albums were Taylor's peak. I was also going to say her 2010 album was the beginning of her peak as well, but that would have been too early since she didn't become mainstream until 2008-09.

Check for new replies or respond here...