inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Netflix remakes The Magic School Bus

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/09/17 at 4:21 pm

Netflix has recently released the trailer for their remake of the classic '90s cartoon, The Magic School Bus.

GoiTW2zw80c

The remake is called "The Magic School Bus Rides Again". This is just another ploy to try cater to Millennials and another form of the '90s nostalgia that has been in effect for the past few years.

This remake looks horrid with it's cheap Flash animation 8-P. I don't see why the cartoon was remade in the first place.
What are your thoughts?

Subject: Re: Netflix remakes The Magic School Bus

Written By: #Infinity on 09/09/17 at 4:32 pm

I don't honestly mind if they bring the quintessential mid-90s educational show to a new generation, but I find it particularly bizarre that despite getting Lily Tomlin to reprise her role as Ms. Frizzle, they're instead centering the new series around her sister, who seems clearly less interesting. Tomlin was like 90% of what made the original cartoon so popular.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/09/17 at 4:34 pm

Lol. This is pretty awful

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/09/17 at 4:41 pm

It has received universally negative reactions, similar to previous reboots like Ghostbusters 2016 and Bill Nye Saves the World.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/09/17 at 5:04 pm

I don't honestly mind if they bring the quintessential mid-90s educational show to a new generation, but I find it particularly bizarre that despite getting Lily Tomlin to reprise her role as Ms. Frizzle, they're instead centering the new series around her sister, who seems clearly less interesting. Tomlin was like 90% of what made the original cartoon so popular.

Yeah that's puzzling.

Lol. This is pretty awful

Yep.

It has received universally negative reactions, similar to previous reboots like Ghostbusters 2016 and Bill Nye Saves the World.

I agree.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/09/17 at 5:41 pm

Add it to the list of "Nostalgia Pandering that is both pointless and fails at be being any good". When will the industry learn? You can name all of the nostalgia pandering remakes/reboots/sequels/rehashes less than 10% of them were any good. Only decent reboot I've seen was Ducktales.

Written By: 2001 on 09/09/17 at 5:44 pm

The art style doesn't make me enthusiastic.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/09/17 at 5:58 pm

Add it to the list of "Nostalgia Pandering that is both pointless and fails at be being any good". When will the industry learn? You can name all of the nostalgia pandering remakes/reboots/sequels/rehashes less than 10% of them were any good. Only decent reboot I've seen was Ducktales.

Yep, I totally agree.

Season 5 of Samurai Jack was excellent. However, that was a revival not reboot :P.

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/09/17 at 10:50 pm

Yep, I totally agree.

Season 5 of Samurai Jack was excellent. However, that was a revival not reboot :P.

A number of people seem to think Samurai Jack season 5 went downhill after episode 3.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/09/17 at 11:32 pm

Damn, another show that I loved as a kid has been remade into a crappy, CGI version. First it happened to Bob the Builder, then Bananas in Pyjamas and now it's happened to The Magic School Bus. :( 

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/09/17 at 11:42 pm

A number of people seem to think Samurai Jack season 5 went downhill after episode 3.

The number is pretty small.

Most people liked or loved ALL of SJ Season 5. The biggest gripe that I have heard is that some people felt that the ending was "anticlimactic". Other than that not really much complaints...most people included myself was very much happy with Season 5 of Samurai Jack. It was also WAAAYYY better than Teen Titans Go!, or the the current Ben 10 & The Powerpuff Girls.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/09/17 at 11:42 pm

Damn, another show that I loved as a kid has been remade into a crappy, CGI version. First it happened to Bob the Builder, then Bananas in Pyjamas and now it's happened to The Magic School Bus. :(

I feel you man :(.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/10/17 at 10:11 pm

Don't get me wrong, I like this decade and I think it has great pop culture. But when it comes to cartoons, then it's pretty bad tbh. I remember watching Nickelodeon back in 2006 when I was four. It wasn't as cringe as it is today. Last year in the summer they were playing that whip nae nae song. Nickelodeon sucks now. I mean, just take a look at this
ZhHRS1DjRxI

I'm just glad I'm not four years old right now, to be honest.

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/10/17 at 10:23 pm

Don't get me wrong, I like this decade and I think it has great pop culture. But when it comes to cartoons, then it's pretty bad tbh. I remember watching Nickelodeon back in 2006 when I was four. It wasn't as cringe as it is today. Last year in the summer they were playing that whip nae nae song. Nickelodeon sucks now. I mean, just take a look at this
ZhHRS1DjRxI

I was 9 in 2006. Watching Danny Phantom, Avatar, Teenage Robot and Catscratch. Kids today do not have a childhood anymore.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/10/17 at 10:39 pm

I was 9 in 2006. Watching Danny Phantom, Avatar, Teenage Robot and Catscratch. Kids today do not have a childhood anymore.

Stop that nonsensical talk. You sound like you were born in 1987 instead of 1997.

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/11/17 at 1:03 pm

When are animators going to learn that Adobe Flash is not yet advanced enough to  produce animations quickly for TV standards? This is like watching one of those scary early CGI flicks.

Yes, good looking flash cartoons do exist like Wakfu and Spliced, but those took around the same length of time and budget to make as many traditionally animated cartoons. The extra time and budget negates the main advantage of flash in the first place.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/11/17 at 1:41 pm

The producers at children's networks have become even lazier than ever before. They don't want to take risks and they don't want. To have detailed cartoons because it's "expensive" ::). They think that kids nowadays are too dumb to appreciate more detailed cartoons. Even if that's the case....are the kids the only ones who watch cartoons? There are plenty of teenagers and adults who watch cartoons...are we too dumb as well? ::)

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/11/17 at 3:34 pm

I remember watching all of those shows! (Except for Catscratch) teenage robot was my most favorite cartoon. Those shows were the best!  :D

I wouldn't necessarily say they don't have a childhood, it's just really different compared to ours. I mean, I'm at the orthodontist right now and there is a child who looks about 2 or 3 with an iPhone and headphones in. It's crazy. I can only imagine the childhood of somebody a decade younger than me.

Written By: happyflower20 on 09/14/17 at 5:08 pm

I HATE THE MAGIC SCHOOL BUS THT SHOW IS FOR 4 YEAR OLDS

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/14/17 at 5:40 pm

I HATE THE MAGIC SCHOOL BUS THT SHOW IS FOR 4 YEAR OLDS

What? :o ???

Written By: happyflower20 on 09/14/17 at 6:24 pm

i dont like that show it sucks and its boring

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/14/17 at 6:28 pm

i dont like that show it sucks and its boring

The original one from the '90s? ???

Also, how old are you?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/15/17 at 9:23 am

Shows like this are always going to fail. The people who grew up watching it are going to dismiss the show for not being like the original, and kids today are not going to care because they've never heard of the original. Sure, I watched the show when I was a kid, but I'm 30 now, and got much more important things to do than watch a mediocre remake of a show from 20 years ago.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/15/17 at 9:28 am

Shows like this are always going to fail. The people who grew up watching it are going to dismiss the show for not being like the original, and kids today are not going to care because they've never heard of the original. Sure, I watched the show when I was a kid, but I'm 30 now, and got much more important things to do than watch a mediocre remake of a show from 20 years ago.

Yeah, you're correct.

BTW, if you don't mind, what do you do for a living or in your free time?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/15/17 at 9:36 am

Yeah, you're correct.

BTW, if you don't mind, what do you do for a living or in your free time?

Well, for a living I work on computers, though graduating college during the recession I've been unemployed more than I've been employed. When I'm not working I like to play a lot retro video games.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/15/17 at 9:48 am

Well, for a living I work on computers, though graduating college during the recession I've been unemployed more than I've been employed. When I'm not working I like to play a lot retro video games.

OK cool. Thanks for answering :).

Written By: Howard on 09/15/17 at 2:01 pm

What are your favorite games?

Written By: prodanny288 on 09/21/17 at 8:28 pm

ZhHRS1DjRxI

This is so disturbing to watch. If this isn’t a sign that Nickelodeon has jumped the shark then I don’t know what is. It’s so sad how times have changed.  :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...