inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This is the first time in a long time I am excited we are in a new era

Written By: John Titor on 09/13/17 at 7:24 pm

usually people get angry when we enter a new era

IE: classic 2000s going into late 2000s/early 2010s

But the mid 2010s were lingering on so much I am GLAD we are in a new era, it was WAY over due and it seemed like the mid 2010s vibe stayed WAY 2 long

Subject: Re: This is the first time in a long time I am excited we are in a new era

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/13/17 at 7:48 pm

Is the mid 10's vibe gone? I didn't expect it to be gone until late 2017...oh wait Sept 2017 IS late 2017.

Hey 2017 is the first sign that the current pop culture is moving on then I'm all up for supporting it.

Subject: Re: This is the first time in a long time I am excited we are in a new era

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/14/17 at 12:13 am

Is the mid 10's vibe gone? I didn't expect it to be gone until late 2017...oh wait Sept 2017 IS late 2017.

Hey 2017 is the first sign that the current pop culture is moving on then I'm all up for supporting it.

I could be wrong but trap is slowly emptying out. The billboard used to be full of Lil Uzi's but it's slowly but surely diversifying. I think mid 2010s trap is slowly receding into the sewer it crawled from. Not that the Top 100 really excites me (with the exceptions of SZA, Redbone, Feel It Still, and maybe 2 other songs) but a lot of the songs have that mid 2010s feel but less terrible. I felt a similar way back in 2006 or 07.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/14/17 at 12:21 am

I believe we're still in a transitional phase at the moment. Even though we are now in September 2017, I still don't think we have completely entered into a new cultural era. There is still a residual Mid 2010's feel to many elements of pop-culture, but there are also a few subtle differences, so it's hard to say really.

Written By: John Titor on 09/14/17 at 6:52 am

I believe we're still in a transitional phase at the moment. Even though we are now in September 2017, I still don't think we have completely entered into a new cultural era. There is still a residual Mid 2010's feel to many elements of pop-culture, but there are also a few subtle differences, so it's hard to say really.

right now it feels kind of like late 2006/2007

full of classic decade pop culture/mixed with the new

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/14/17 at 8:35 am

I live for this actually, it's why I came here. I'm far less interested in questions of generational boundaries and whatnot.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/14/17 at 10:43 am

I could be wrong but trap is slowly emptying out. The billboard used to be full of Lil Uzi's but it's slowly but surely diversifying. I think mid 2010s trap is slowly receding into the sewer it crawled from. Not that the Top 100 really excites me (with the exceptions of SZA, Redbone, Feel It Still, and maybe 2 other songs) but a lot of the songs have that mid 2010s feel but less terrible. I felt a similar way back in 2006 or 07.

Yeah, both Trap and EDM have been reported to be on a slight decline. 2017 is core 10's but it's probably the last core year. As we approach 2018 we are transitioning to a new era.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/14/17 at 11:29 am

right now it feels kind of like late 2006/2007

full of classic decade pop culture/mixed with the new

Yeah although there is way less new now than there was in the '00s, especially technologically speaking.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 09/14/17 at 2:34 pm

I always predicted 2017 would be a year of change. It looks like it could be happening as we speak.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/14/17 at 2:44 pm

I still don't see this change that some of you guys are talking about. I think that you guys want a change so bad that you guys are making up stuff or "sensing a change" in your mind when nothing is changing ;D.

2017 has felt about the same as 2016. (97% similar to each other).

Written By: John Titor on 09/14/17 at 3:38 pm

I still don't see this change that some of you guys are talking about. I think that you guys want a change so bad that you guys are making up stuff or "sensing a change" in your mind when nothing is changing ;D.

2017 has felt about the same as 2016. (97% similar to each other).

Donald Trump
MTV TRL returning
POP PUNK crawling back
Streaming services like SLing tv and DirecTVnow replacing comcast
YOutube going downhill (Ad program not paying content creators, people leaving)
EDm dying

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/14/17 at 3:58 pm

Donald Trump

What about him? He's dominated the news for the past 2 years.

MTV TRL returning

The new TRL is very menial at this point.

POP PUNK crawling back

No evidence (or solid evidence) for this claim.

Streaming services like SLing tv and DirecTVnow replacing comcast

Streaming services have been popular for the past 4-5 years.

YOutube going downhill (Ad program not paying content creators, people leaving)

This is a subjective opinion.

EDm dying

Plenty of popular songs still sound EDM-ish.

This "cultural change" is all your heads. Stop with the foolishness.

Written By: John Titor on 09/14/17 at 4:07 pm

um its not in our heads there is clearly a transition going on

sling tv and directvnow did not come out until 2015 and late 2016
I am talking about LIVE tv services ^  opposed to netflix

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/14/17 at 4:11 pm

um its not in our heads there is clearly a transition going on

sling tv and directvnow did not come out until 2015 and late 2016
I am talking about LIVE tv services ^  opposed to netflix

Even so...this change is not something that is widespread.

I'll say it again..."I still don't see this change that some of you guys are talking about. I think that you guys want a change so bad that you guys are making up stuff or "sensing a change" in your mind when nothing is changing ;D."

Until there is an ACTUAL SHIFT...then all of what you guys are saying is just baloney (or rather insignificant).

Written By: John Titor on 09/14/17 at 4:33 pm

I'll say it again..."I still don't see this change that some of you guys are talking about. I think that you guys want a change so bad that you guys are making up stuff or "sensing a change" in your mind when nothing is changing ;D."

Until there is an ACTUAL SHIFT...then all of what you guys are saying is just baloney (or rather insignificant).

We are in the shift right now, you are just blind

it is not everyone else thats making stuff up it is YOU who can't see it,
come on lol

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/14/17 at 4:44 pm

Yeah apart from obvious things like  Donald Trump being President (although like you even said he's basically been the face of the news for most of the mid 2010s  8-P, and the only difference is that now he's in control) and also being in the numerical late 2010s, I actually don't see it. The whole feel of 2017 feels very similar to 2016 and I think some people are overstating this supposed shift in music, also whose to say that 2018 will be a huge change either. Literally everyone on here says 2018 will definitely see a big change, who's to say that huh? It could be another core 2010s year for all we know. (There's no point in predicting anyways because who really knows :-\\)

Also, I agree with you when you said people are just dreaming this up in their head because they want a change lol ::)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/14/17 at 4:46 pm

Yeah apart from obvious things like  Donald Trump being President (although like you even said he's basically been the face of the news for most of the mid 2010s  8-P, and the only difference is that now he's in control) and also being in the numerical late 2010s, I actually don't see it. The whole feel of 2017 feels very similar to 2016 and I think some people are overstating this supposed shift in music, also whose to say that 2018 will be a huge change either. Literally everyone on here says 2018 will definitely see a big change, who's to say that huh? It could be another core 2010s year for all we know. (There's no point in predicting anyways because who really knows :-\\)

Also, I agree with you when you said people are just dreaming this up in their head because they want a change lol ::)

Exactly! It seems like we're the only ones who think this way.

Written By: Escondudo on 09/14/17 at 4:53 pm

I agree. Honestly, things seem pretty much the same as they've been since summer 2015. I think we'll have a rapid shift once Mueller's investigation concludes and he recommends Trump's impeachment.

Movies and television might recapture some of the innocence that they had in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/14/17 at 4:56 pm

I agree. Honestly, things seem pretty much the same as they've been since summer 2015. I think we'll have a rapid shift once Mueller's investigation concludes and he recommends Trump's impeachment.

We can only hope ;D.

Movies and television might recapture some of the innocence that they had in the late 90s and early 2000s.

I don't really know what this means but...OK, I guess.

Written By: Escondudo on 09/14/17 at 5:08 pm

If you have Netflix, watch the movie Blank Check. In short, pop culture since the 2000s has tried to be edgy, raw, provocative, "dank", complex, etc. Nothing is cheesy anymore. Content creators are afraid to be cheesy. There is no longer an expected undercurrent of optimism either, which I suspect is because consumers aren't optimistic. I predict that the next major shift will be a return to cheesiness, started by Trump's ouster.

We can only hope ;D.
I don't really know what this means but...OK, I guess.

Written By: happyflower20 on 09/14/17 at 5:29 pm

i love sign of times

Written By: John Titor on 09/14/17 at 5:36 pm

No way do they feel the same as 2016

lol

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/14/17 at 6:51 pm

Exactly! It seems like we're the only ones who think this way.

I'm not saying a huge change is taking place. I just notice there's a lessening of the mid 2010s. It has this worn out quality. When something is worn out, you either use it less or throw it out.

BTW- I don't believe change = good. Whatever comes next might be awful.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/14/17 at 7:09 pm

For some reason I feel like 2017 will be the last core 10's year and I hope it is. Don't get me wrong I like this decade and it's pop culture, but sometimes when there's no change it gets boring and at this point I'm certainly ready for change because I can't wait what the future has to bring. 2017 IMO has been a really good year for music.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/14/17 at 7:30 pm

I'm not saying a huge change is taking place. I just notice there's a lessening of the mid 2010s. It has this worn out quality. When something is worn out, you either use it less or throw it out.

BTW- I don't believe change = good. Whatever comes next might be awful.

Of course their has been a "lessening" but there hasn't been any major change in culture. It could very well happen but until it does...let's not say that there's a change until it ACTUALLY happens.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/14/17 at 8:30 pm

Change is definitely around the corner. Things are starting to feel a little worn out. You can tell the transition will be here soon.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/14/17 at 8:54 pm

Look, things don't change overnight. Of course this is only the start of something new, and it's going to take years for noticeable change. That being said, I will admit to some changes in the last year that have seemed more sudden than in other transitions. Or maybe I'm just used to how the Nineties took forever to die (although I now lament that loss).

Yeah, this. Worn out is the right phrase for it. There seemed to be a clear "narrative" to the period between 2008 and 2016, and I'm not really feeling it now. It feels almost aimless.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/14/17 at 9:22 pm

Look, things don't change overnight. Of course this is only the start of something new, and it's going to take years for noticeable change. That being said, I will admit to some changes in the last year that have seemed more sudden than in other transitions. Or maybe I'm just used to how the Nineties took forever to die (although I now lament that loss).

Even so...nothing that has been given as reasons/evidence for an upcoming change or a transition is really changeful at all.

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/14/17 at 11:45 pm

Of course their has been a "lessening" but there hasn't been any major change in culture. It could very well happen but until it does...let's not say that there's a change until it ACTUALLY happens.

Maybe the others are saying there's been a major change but I'm not saying that. Mid 2010s culture really annoyed me and the fact that I'm less annoyed and not just simply use to the culture tells me something is going on, mid-2010s is getting stale, other people feel it and that's enough for me. lol

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/14/17 at 11:48 pm

Yeah, this. Worn out is the right phrase for it. There seemed to be a clear "narrative" to the period between 2008 and 2016, and I'm not really feeling it now. It feels almost aimless.

YEP. Exactly.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/15/17 at 12:04 am

I agree.  2017 has been the best year for music since 2012, but it's still pretty similar to the mid '10s, minus the noticeable decline of teen pop this year.  I think the fact that artists like Cher Lloyd and Meghan Trainor have fallen out of favor this year gives it a different feel from the mid '10s.  Others who are still around like Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande have changed their sound and they really aren't so bad anymore.  So yeah, that can give the impression that there has indeed been a shift this year.  However, other genres such as trap rap, EDM, and disco revival haven't changed much since 2013.  I hope disco revival is the next to go and I hope trap evolves into something else.  The jury is out on EDM and where it could go.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/15/17 at 12:05 am

I agree.  2017 has been the best year for music since 2012, but it's still pretty similar to the mid '10s, minus the noticeable decline of teen pop this year.  I think the fact that artists like Cher Lloyd and Meghan Trainor have fallen out of favor this year gives it a different feel from the mid '10s.  Others who are still around like Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande have changed their sound and they really aren't so bad anymore.  So yeah, that can give the impression that there has indeed been a shift this year.  However, other genres such as trap rap, EDM, and disco revival haven't changed much in the past several years.  I hope disco revival is the next to go and I hope trap evolves into something else.  The jury is out on EDM and where it could go.

Didn't you say you hated music from 2017 a while back in another thread? Anyway I think 2017 was one of the worst years for music.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/15/17 at 12:50 am

Didn't you say you hated music from 2017 a while back in another thread? Anyway I think 2017 was one of the worst years for music.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, earlier in the year there was quite a lot of bad music. However, as the year has gone on particular in the last month or two I think the music has gotten a lot better, so maybe that's why he changed his mind, I had at least :)

Written By: Howard on 09/15/17 at 7:18 am

Change is definitely around the corner. Things are starting to feel a little worn out. You can tell the transition will be here soon.

I'll be waiting when it happens.

Written By: John Titor on 09/15/17 at 9:52 am

EMO nite is like a months festival in La about pop punk

It is def creeping, and EDM will be phased out

Written By: bchris02 on 09/15/17 at 10:48 am

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, earlier in the year there was quite a lot of bad music. However, as the year has gone on particular in the last month or two I think the music has gotten a lot better, so maybe that's why he changed his mind, I had at least :)

The summer, especially early, had a lot of bad music but it has really picked up in the past month or so in my opinion.  I was also very depressed in July and I am doing a little better now.  My personal mood definitely affects my perception of the culture (this is part of the reason why I dislike 2013 and 2014 the way that I do).

Check for new replies or respond here...