inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is EDM here to stay?

Written By: bchris02 on 09/17/17 at 10:42 pm

A lot of people say that EDM will die with the '10s and while that may be partially true, electronic dance music has been with us since the late 1970s and hasn't died yet.  It has gone through evolution and can be divided up into distinct eras, some of which it was more mainstream like the electropop era, eurodance era, and disco era while at other times it was more of a niche genre like in the mid '00s when trance was at its peak.

So what do you think?  Is EDM nearing the end of its lifecycle or will it simply evolve into something else and remain popular?

Subject: Re: Is EDM here to stay?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/17/17 at 10:54 pm

I don't think EDM will ever completely fade into obscurity. After all, EDM is "electronic dance music" in it's simplest form. I believe it will most likely evolve into something else and remain popular through a new form. What the make up of the new sub-genre will be is anyone's guess, however I do believe that the EDM which has characterised the 2010s will likely fall out of favour in the next few years.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/18/17 at 11:30 pm

I think some new electronic genre will replace the electronic music that is popular now pretty soon. As for electronic dance music (EDM), while it may die from the mainstream, I think the genre will always have a place underground.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/19/17 at 10:52 am

I think some new electronic genre will replace the electronic music that is popular now pretty soon. As for electronic dance music (EDM), while it may die from the mainstream, I think the genre will always have a place underground.

I agree.  One of my favorite eras for the genre was 2003-07, a time when it was almost entirely underground and in most circles was considered "gay" music.  Every once and a while a dance hit (usually electropop) would break into the Top 40 but for the most part the genre was entirely out of favor.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/19/17 at 12:59 pm

I agree.  One of my favorite eras for the genre was 2003-07, a time when it was almost entirely underground and in most circles was considered "gay" music.  Every once and a while a dance hit (usually electropop) would break into the Top 40 but for the most part the genre was entirely out of favor.

Yeah, during most of the during the 2000s the genre was more underground. Hell an obvious proof of this is the name _"EDM/Electronic Dance Music"_ . In the 2000s and prior it wasn't called this. We just called it Electronic music or just called it the actual name of then genres (house, Trance, Tecno, Disco etc). The label "EDM" was mainly just a marketing term used when the collection of electronic genres were becoming popular.

Some say that EDM killed Electronic Music. I think that EDM will fall. We'll still have Electronic music, but it won't be in the same situation as 2010s Electronic music. The genres may end up going underground again.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/19/17 at 1:35 pm

Yeah, during most of the during the 2000s the genre was more underground. Hell an obvious proof of this is the name _"EDM/Electronic Dance Music"_ . In the 2000s and prior it wasn't called this. We just called it Electronic music or just called it the actual name of then genres (house, Trance, Tecno, Disco etc). The label "EDM" was mainly just a marketing term used when the collection of electronic genres were becoming popular.

Some say that EDM killed Electronic Music. I think that EDM will fall. We'll still have Electronic music, but it won't be in the same situation as 2010s Electronic music. The genres may end up going underground again.

I agree with this.  EDM in a lot of ways was a "re-branding" of techno, trance, house, etc because of the stigma that the genre had in the '00s as being primarily for the LGBT community.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/19/17 at 9:39 pm

"EDM" was mainly just a marketing term used when the collection of electronic genres were becoming popular.

I thought EDM was the actual genre (electronic dance music). That's what I always saw it as. But you're right these days I see so many people calling certain electronic music EDM, even though it is not. I usually just say electronic music if it is not real EDM personally.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/20/17 at 12:47 am

I hope electro wing or some fused vapor wave or a genre similar to it becomes the new sound of mainstream music.

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/20/17 at 2:37 pm

I feel like EDM has replaced Rock as the stock pop sound. Even longtime advertisers that used to use rock music as BGM in their 90s and 00s ads have switched to EDM.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/20/17 at 4:25 pm

I thought EDM was the actual genre (electronic dance music). That's what I always saw it as. But you're right these days I see so many people calling certain electronic music EDM, even though it is not. I usually just say electronic music if it is not real EDM personally.

Wiki snippet.

By the early 2010s, the term "electronic dance music" and the initialism "EDM" was being pushed by the United States music industry and music press in an effort to rebrand American rave culture. Despite the industry's attempt to create a specific EDM brand, the initialism remains in use as an umbrella term for multiple genres, including house, techno, trance, drum and bass, dubstep, and their respective subgenres.

From what research (and Electronic music enthusiaststell me) EDM isn't a real genre. Electronic Dance Music means nothing as it's just an umbrella marketing term. EDM is used to as a term for house, techno, trance, disco, drum n bass, and dubstep music. But these electronic music genres existed long before term "EDM" or "Electronic Dance Music" was first popped up in the 2010s. Got back 10 years or more and you'll notice a lack of the term "EDM" being used when describing music.

House music is a genre. Techno music is a genre. EDM isn't a genre. Just a marketing label used to describe the genres I just mentioned. But what I have issue with is like you've stated with some calling certain electronic genres as EDM. I'd rather the "EDM" name fades away and electronic genres like House and Disco would go back underground. Try to get some old house, disco, techno records that you have collected over the years. Chances are the songs you liked listening to during the 70s - 00s didn't air on the mainstream radio too often. Most of the songs you've collected were from the underground music scene. That's how it used to be. Now everything is EDM influenced sadly.

I have some old early-mid 00s Funky House tracks. 
_SywqlfOYLQr5t_G73W7RM
Songs like these were mainly in the underground scene and not on the radio. Listen to current mainstream electronic music and compare it to old underground electronic music. Can sense a different vibe. EDM will probably continue although the label "EDM" may fade and electronic music will be underground again which I'm fine with as a lot of interesting and new ideas seem to be found in the underground.

I hope electro swing or some fused vapor wave or a genre similar to it becomes the new sound of mainstream music.

Electro Swing had some popularity, but mainly in Europe for some reason. Most think this is due to Europeans actually putting effort into getting the Electro Swing sound to the mass public. For example artists like Caravan Palace and Parov Stelar actually did concerts and other commercial work as far back as the late 00s. Meanwhile in North America I think we were too busy listening to electropop and genres. If someone would just make a good Electro Swing song and air it on the radio then the genre would have more of a following in the US. But for now you'll mainly have to find electro swing through things like youtube or soundcloud.

Funny as Electro Swing would've fit in with the current "EDM" craze. Although Electro Swing actually was forming during the early 2000s (around 2002-2003) right after the Big Band Swing revival that kicked in during 1998 was ending sometime in 2002.
uv_h4C6fb1k
A song from 2004.

Now to speak on Vaporwave eehhhhhh I hope the genre gets some mainstream success. Right now it's mainly just an interest thing. Although it did get SOME recognition when MTV tried to jump on the Vaporwave bandwagon, but this is when people say the genre died.
https://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/s-7-i-am-my-mtv-new-audience.jpg
You see most Vaporwave purists say that Vaporwave needs to say a niche internet genre. And that the moment it gets mainstream is the moment the genre dies completely.  At this point I honestly don't know what'll happen to Vaporwave.

I feel like EDM has replaced Rock as the stock pop sound. Even longtime advertisers that used to use rock music as BGM in their 90s and 00s ads have switched to EDM.

Makes me wonder if there is a genre that is a mix of Rock and EDM.  ???

Anyways electronic music is quite diverse. The reason I hate the "EDM" phase of electronic music is because I swear all the music is sounding pretty samey these days. I'm not sure if this is because of the mainstream influence where it's like music companies are too afraid to push new sounds or if the current artists just aren't pushing for anything new. This is why I the underground electronic music days more. Now if mainstream music could get the creativity that the underground scene had then the story would be different.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/21/17 at 11:53 pm

Funny as Electro Swing would've fit in with the current "EDM" craze. Although Electro Swing actually was forming during the early 2000s (around 2002-2003) right after the Big Band Swing revival that kicked in during 1998 was ending sometime in 2002.

I really like electro swing. So if it can be the popular genre for the next decade, I would love that.  :P

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/22/17 at 1:53 pm

I really like electro swing. So if it can be the popular genre for the next decade, I would love that.  :P

Hey if Electro Swing can get some mainstream popularity hear in North American by the early 2020s I'll love that. I mean it's a nice genre that blends new with the old. 2020's music productions and techniques with 1920s sounds and melody is something I can get behind.
n8Wx80TZ8OQHGbW44AEHeM

Seriously all we need is for ONE artist to make a hit track. The industry will see this and the good ol' Monkey See Monkey Do effect will kick in. Next thing you know Electro Swing will be so popular we'll all be sick of it (I probably won't since I love Electro Swing and now have over 600 tracks downloaded onto my computer).

Now electro Swing started in the early 2000s, however, there is ONE track from the mid 1990s that is seen as the very first Electro Swing-ish sounding track.
sY5zaDZq0sc
Made in 1994. This is basically Jazz/Hip Hop (or Jazz Rap), but the difference is that this Jazz Rap takes a lot of influence from Big Band Swing songs which up to that point (and after) isn't really done by other artists. But this is a very early example. Wouldn't be until the early 2000s when the full sound of Electro Swing kicks off. Electro Swing is basically Big Band Swing,Jump Blues, or Swing Revival mixed with EDM or Hip Hop. I can see it becoming mainstream. But I swear it feels like people these days are TRYING to ignore Jazz.

Check for new replies or respond here...