inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why hasn't there been a new direction in pop culture yet?

Written By: omri97 on 09/25/17 at 11:36 am

It ultimately feels like we have been in the same culture since like late 2012 and this culture is for sure long I the tooth and stale I mean most decades have different sections of culture to them,but for some reason it seems like this decades culture just stays the same all through and there not like any new creative ideas,tv or developing new and cool culture direction it's literally just the same pc culture since like 2012 and wonder what's holding back culture. I mean it seems like there was going to be an actually culture change in late 2017,but it never happened don't get me wrong maybe 2018,will be a shift,but I don't see any shifts and this culture is way over due for change I mean the electronic pop era only lasted like 5 years 2008-2012,but this culture has been like 6 years the only thing that has actually progressed in this decades is technology which is great but what about everything else like what is going on.lets face it this culture isn't that great to be lasting this long that's why 2018 will probably be a shift cause by 2018 this culture will be super dry and dull. And if there was a change I didn't feel
it it seems like the same culture for the last 7 years. 😉 Thanks for answering.

Subject: Re: Why hasn't there been a new direction in pop culture yet?

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/25/17 at 12:28 pm

Well I chalk it up to 2010s being both consistent and also stagnating in creating new pop culture due to over abundance of rehashing nostalgia pandering ideas. Bringing back old 80s/90s/early 00s movies, songs, fashion etc instead of making things most of the time. But then again the only recent decades with a lot of different directions in pop culture were the 90s and 00s. The 1980s was more consistent and the 2010s brings us back to that trend. Only difference is that the nostalgia pop culture pandering didn't seem all that bad in the 1980s.

The 2010s as of right now has changed much in terms of pop culture. However, I don't think we'll be seeing much of a change until a few years later where we look back on the 2010s in hindsight. But I'm sure that by 2019-2021 we'll be seeing some pop cultural changes for one reason. Reason being that almost every new decade is a backlash of the previous one meaning that by the end of the 2010s people will be sick of the 2010's culture and force something new. This happened in the in the 1970s-1980s where people were sick of 1970s culture by the late 1970s and forcibly killed off things like disco and 70s punk just in time for the 1980s. By 1989-1991 people were getting rid of the remaining 1980s leftovers for more newer and "hipper" 1990s stuff.

We already have a ton of people wanting this decade to end and people who just want to forget years like 2016 all together. By 2020+ I really can't see a lot of the stuff we see today still being popular. The newer hipper crowd will demand for something new and everyone else will just have to follow.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/25/17 at 2:26 pm

Yeah it seems like we've had relatively the same culture for the last 8 years. The 2010s are like the '80s in where it is very consistent the whole way through. My prediction is we will see the start of new '20s culture in 2018 - 2019 and maybe fully into a new culture by the end of 2021.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/25/17 at 2:32 pm

Pop culturally, it's been a very boring decade.  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...