inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will the 2020s be like a futuristic 80s when it comes to culture?

Written By: Charmed17 on 09/27/17 at 4:45 pm

Not like everything,but will it have like a sleak sound,colorful,upbeat tone to it with great tech cool culture will it basically be like a futuristic 80s.

Subject: Re: Will the 2020s be like a futuristic 80s when it comes to culture?

Written By: 80sfan on 09/27/17 at 4:47 pm

That would be awesome.

The 80's was fun, but grainy and the fashion, puffy!  :P

Written By: bchris02 on 09/27/17 at 5:47 pm

There are several ways in which culture could evolve from here.  I personally hope it isn't a more futuristic '80s because that would mean that disco revival, which is one of my least favorite aspects of '10s culture, would evolve into the dominant sound for the '20s.

I would like to see today's EDM-pop sound becomre more mainstream.  It's different compared to the mid '10s but not quite the same as the early '10s.  Illenium is a good example of the kind of sound I am talking about.

There is also a chance that rock could make a comeback.  That seems to be the general consensus on this board of what people would most like to see.  However, I don't think a revival of early '00s pop punk is going to accomplish it.  A new rock sound will need to emerge that excites people like grunge did in the '90s.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/27/17 at 6:46 pm

I think the '10s are actually the futuristic '80s, especially the early '10s, this is especially true when it comes to aesthetic. Although this is also partly because '80s nostalgia hasn't died and many trends were brought back. I actually wish the '20s would have a more laid back feel like the '90s. I actually predicted the '10s being laid back but I was wrong. I think a laid back feel is long overdue. It can be any brand new fresh culture, rock doesn't need to come back, but I hope it is new, good, and laid back.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 09/27/17 at 6:46 pm

There are several ways in which culture could evolve from here.  I personally hope it isn't a more futuristic '80s because that would mean that disco revival, which is one of my least favorite aspects of '10s culture, would evolve into the dominant sound for the '20s.

I would like to see today's EDM-pop sound becomre more mainstream.  It's different compared to the mid '10s but not quite the same as the early '10s.  Illenium is a good example of the kind of sound I am talking about.

There is also a chance that rock could make a comeback.  That seems to be the general consensus on this board of what people would most like to see.  However, I don't think a revival of early '00s pop punk is going to accomplish it.  A new rock sound will need to emerge that excites people like grunge did in the '90s.

80's revival would mean a new wave revival. Disco is from the 70's.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/27/17 at 6:55 pm

I personally don't want ANY revivals. I want something brand new that wasn't done before.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 09/27/17 at 7:29 pm

What I wonder is where this line of thinking comes from. I don't mean to be critical, but it's an odd question, like asking if 2000s culture would be like a futuristic 60s, or if the 90s would be like a futuristic 50s. Why the need to project the connotations of a previous decade onto a coming one?

Does it come from the idea that Trump is like a new Reagan and will bring a new spirit to the country, one that's more conservative and family oriented, yet also heavily based on ego, and that there will be lots of innovation as a result of this shift?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/27/17 at 10:50 pm

I personally don't want ANY revivals. I want something brand new that wasn't done before.

I think the 2020s will be a decade of many wars and conflicts.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/27/17 at 10:59 pm

I hope you are wrong but I am afraid you might not be.  I myself am worried about making it to 2019.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/27/17 at 11:04 pm

I don't. I'm not sure why everyone thinks this. There is no evidence for it. There is less conflict this decade in the United States than there was in previous decades. It will not be a decade full of wars.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/27/17 at 11:09 pm

I don't. I'm not sure why everyone thinks this. There is no evidence for it. There is less conflict this decade in the United States than there was in previous decades. It will not be a decade full of wars.

There's North Korea, ISIS, and many possible players involved. It could be similar to the 1940s. I feel the tension in the air.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/17 at 11:15 pm

There's North Korea, ISIS, and many possible players involved. It could be similar to the 1940s. I feel the tension in the air.
For me it is the same feeling as of the "Cold War" during the 60s and 70s.

Written By: Howard on 09/28/17 at 7:13 am

Disco is dead and it can't be revived, it's been dead for close to 40 years.

Written By: Charmed17 on 09/28/17 at 12:44 pm

I think the '10s are actually the futuristic '80s, especially the early '10s, this is especially true when it comes to aesthetic. Although this is also partly because '80s nostalgia hasn't died and many trends were brought back. I actually wish the '20s would have a more laid back feel like the '90s. I actually predicted the '10s being laid back but I was wrong. I think a laid back feel is long overdue. It can be any brand new fresh culture, rock doesn't need to come back, but I hope it is new, good, and laid back.
yeah 90s would be awesome too for a style I think the 90s is all time best decade.

Written By: Bab2781 on 09/28/17 at 2:42 pm

The future decades will never be like past decades.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/28/17 at 2:47 pm

The future decades will never be like past decades.

That's a good thing. I meant just the vibe. The '10s from the start all the way to 2017 have felt the opposite of laid back. It felt so busy, rushed, and "stressful" in a way. I think it's due to smartphone culture and the fact you can get information at any second now. Someone needs to start a movement to end smartphone zombies. Technology is fine and I love it but let's not get too caught up in it.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/28/17 at 4:15 pm

All I'd want from the old decades is the campiness that was found within pop culture. In the 60s Camp and Pop were pretty much synonymous. 80s Pop culture still had a lot of camp influences (nearly everything within 80s culture such as the fashion, music, shows, slang etc is described as campy). Just bring the campy feel back into pop culture. It'll certainly be a good replacement over the somewhat serious vibe we currently have.

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/29/17 at 12:08 pm

The most likely scenario is the gritty but laid back 00's will make a return. And I'd wholly welcome that 8).

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/30/17 at 6:53 am

Agreed. I mean, we've highlighted as much in the music thread - guitar music actually has singles again! But yeah, I really hope mainstream rock radio will find a "new" sound rather than rehashing the past.

I also have to agree with the sense of political tension and the feeling that war is coming. Not to mention the climate is getting pretty freaking terrible already, and climate change is barely getting started at that.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/30/17 at 10:44 am

What I wonder is where this line of thinking comes from. I don't mean to be critical, but it's an odd question, like asking if 2000s culture would be like a futuristic 60s, or if the 90s would be like a futuristic 50s. Why the need to project the connotations of a previous decade onto a coming one?

Does it come from the idea that Trump is like a new Reagan and will bring a new spirit to the country, one that's more conservative and family oriented, yet also heavily based on ego, and that there will be lots of innovation as a result of this shift?

I think the 20's will be like a mix of the 80's and 00's, since Trump is a lot like the new Reagan and also GWB. The latter was like the Reagan of the 00's, which brought back the conservative feel good American patriotic conservative Christian spirit, and very commercialized and materialistic.

Come to think of it, even if Trump gets reelected, he'll still be finished in office by the mid 2020's, so unlike Reagan, Clinton, GWB, and Obama whose presidencies were entirely within a decade (even Obama came into office at the very late 00's so the 10's were defined by his presidency), Trump's presidency really won't be able to define either decade since his will be split evenly between the late 10's and early to mid 20's.

Written By: wixness on 09/30/17 at 4:57 pm

All I'd want from the old decades is the campiness that was found within pop culture. In the 60s Camp and Pop were pretty much synonymous. 80s Pop culture still had a lot of camp influences (nearly everything within 80s culture such as the fashion, music, shows, slang etc is described as campy). Just bring the campy feel back into pop culture. It'll certainly be a good replacement over the somewhat serious vibe we currently have.

Absolutely, like the 2000s with emo.

My contribution is that I can see flat design going out of fashion, so it might bring back a sort of retro aesthetic, but not 80s, probably 2000s (Windows Vista default wallpaper anyone?), so it will have a sleeker aesthetic. I personally think that the tone will be a bit grimmer though, like 2000s grim, although it might go the other way considering that there is a tone of pro-establishment conformism going on, sort of heroism for some rather authoritarian leader that people are memeing about that could be mainstream or something as well assuming that anti-establishment voices can get drowned out.

Written By: wixness on 09/30/17 at 4:59 pm

I actually want someone to do something about these totalitarian scumbags.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/30/17 at 6:41 pm

My contribution is that I can see flat design going out of fashion, so it might bring back a sort of retro aesthetic, but not 80s, probably 2000s (Windows Vista default wallpaper anyone?), so it will have a sleeker aesthetic. I personally think that the tone will be a bit grimmer though, like 2000s grim, although it might go the other way considering that there is a tone of pro-establishment conformism going on, sort of heroism for some rather authoritarian leader that people are memeing about that could be mainstream or something as well assuming that anti-establishment voices can get drowned out.

I would love to see the 3D aesthetic come back. Sort of like the 2000s but different because I don't like reviving things. Sort of how like the flat design of today resembles the '80s yet it is different in its own way.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 09/30/17 at 7:49 pm

Well you're cheerful...

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/30/17 at 7:54 pm

I actually want someone to do something about these totalitarian scumbags.

We need to bomb those mofos back into the Stone Age.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/30/17 at 8:16 pm

Well you're cheerful...

He ain't wrong.

No, this would definitely not help.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/30/17 at 8:25 pm

Yeah just go kill 25 million innocent people who have no control over what they're government does. You sound like Trump.  ::)

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/01/17 at 3:09 pm

Well you're cheerful...

Well ISIS and Kim don't look to be backing down anytime soon.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 3:15 pm

There was an ISIS terror attack today in Edmonton, only 3 hours away from me.

Written By: LooseBolt on 10/01/17 at 4:38 pm

Kim? Honestly, Trump's reaction to Kim has been worse than Kim himself.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/14/17 at 7:44 pm

I disagree. I actually predict that the 2020s will follow the same trajectory as the 90s-2000s. History tends to repeat itself, and the 1950s, 1980s and 2010s were all based on conformist and materialistic pop cultures. The 2020s are likely to be a backlash against this decade, so it wouldn't surprise me if alternative music (in the form of electronica, not rock) becomes popular and influential to the pop culture scene. I don't think it will be a "futuristic" 80s at all. If anything, the 2010s have been a "futuristic" 80s.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/14/17 at 8:25 pm

New Wave was from the '70s, also. Both of them are 70s and 80s things, not purely 70s or 80s.

Written By: LooseBolt on 10/15/17 at 6:52 am

I disagree. I actually predict that the 2020s will follow the same trajectory as the 90s-2000s. History tends to repeat itself, and the 1950s, 1980s and 2010s were all based on conformist and materialistic pop cultures. The 2020s are likely to be a backlash against this decade, so it wouldn't surprise me if alternative music (in the form of electronica, not rock) becomes popular and influential to the pop culture scene. I don't think it will be a "futuristic" 80s at all. If anything, the 2010s have been a "futuristic" 80s.

That sounds interesting. I'd love to hear what "college radio" electronica would sound like. Hopefully it would be nothing like vaporwave or future funk.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/16/17 at 6:40 am

That sounds interesting. I'd love to hear what "college radio" electronica would sound like. Hopefully it would be nothing like vaporwave or future funk.

Nah! Everything needs to sound like Vaporwave and Future Funk.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/18/17 at 1:28 pm

I predict the 2020s will have a futuristic vibe to it in terms of design. The 2010s definitely have an old school 80s vibe in terms of design and aesthetics. It's all about simplicity these days and bright poppy colours in order to fit with the mobile HD age. The early 2000s had a space age/futuristic vibe to it and I think this will come back in the '20s only a lot more advanced. So in some ways I think the 2020s will be the opposite of the 1980s and more like the 1990s and 2000s yet still unique. Things will look like this I think:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/37/74/9b/37749b4285f557af3ac1e69ebb18d68a--space-architecture-futuristic-architecture.jpg
Remember only talking about design here, not suggesting we will be in a literal space age in in 3 years  ;D This is what I would want things to look like.

Written By: Howard on 10/18/17 at 2:42 pm

I predict the 2020s will have a futuristic vibe to it in terms of design. The 2010s definitely have an old school 80s vibe in terms of design and aesthetics. It's all about simplicity these days and bright poppy colours in order to fit with the mobile HD age. The early 2000s had a space age/futuristic vibe to it and I think this will come back in the '20s only a lot more advanced. So in some ways I think the 2020s will be the opposite of the 1980s and more like the 1990s and 2000s yet still unique. Things will look like this I think:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/37/74/9b/37749b4285f557af3ac1e69ebb18d68a--space-architecture-futuristic-architecture.jpg
Remember only talking about design here, not suggesting we will be in a literal space age in in 3 years  ;D This is what I would want things to look like.

Is that supposed to be a spaceship? ???

Written By: Slim95 on 10/18/17 at 3:17 pm

Is that supposed to be a spaceship? ???

I think so, something like that.

Check for new replies or respond here...