inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think this decade will be looked back as an embarrassment?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/29/17 at 10:50 pm

I'm making this topic because I have noticed in the past few years there are many fads out there that are considered cringe-worthy hilarious, and others that have horrendous "What were we thinking?" moments.

Subject: Re: Do you think this decade will be looked back as an embarrassment?

Written By: Slim95 on 09/29/17 at 11:18 pm

Yes it will. Yolo, Swag, and other catch phrases already are embarassing. Selfies and hashtags are also embarassing as well as the general superficial egotistical  smartphone zombie culture. Not to mention Donald Trump being president. This entire decade is an embarassment fest.

Written By: Howard on 09/30/17 at 7:10 am

Yes it will. Yolo, Swag, and other catch phrases already are embarassing. Selfies and hashtags are also embarassing as well as the general superficial egotistical  smartphone zombie culture. Not to mention Donald Trump being president. This entire decade is an embarassment fest.

I definitely agree with this.

Written By: unicornic on 09/30/17 at 9:26 am

Yes definitely. There’s too much to be cringe about  ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/30/17 at 10:52 am

Yeah, I think most people will like to forget the "#2010's".

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/30/17 at 11:46 am

Don't forget the SJW vs. Alt right wars

Written By: Howard on 09/30/17 at 2:54 pm

This is why I hate this dumb generation, dumbass catchphrases! ::)

Written By: Charmed17 on 09/30/17 at 4:05 pm

Most people will for sure forget 2012-2017 I don't know about 2018 or 2019 but most likely most will forget the whole damn decade cause we know 2018 and 2019 will probably be similar since this decade never likes to change. :P

Written By: wixness on 09/30/17 at 4:42 pm

Mostly for the emo parts in the early 2010s, and the Trump/Republican/alt-right/terrorism parts in the mid and late 2010s. People will say that the music and fashion has become classier in some respects, but others will still complain that the pop culture and content has been trashy especially compared to the 20th century.

A lot of styles can be derived from the 20th century, such as with aspects of 80s nostalgia as a meme, the haircuts on guys popular in the 1940s, 1950s and maybe the 60s, the International Typographic Design being a source of inspiration for flat design that dominates user interface design and graphic design of this decade, and rock music being niche again and music being bland or inoffensive enough for even old people to enjoy without the lyrics, or the music just sounding awkward overall (not a trait of 20th century music as far as I am concerned).

Looks like everyone says the 2010s is a mistake, yay, we can bring emo back now!

Written By: Slim95 on 09/30/17 at 6:38 pm

Most people will for sure forget 2012-2017 I don't know about 2018 or 2019 but most likely most will forget the whole damn decade cause we know 2018 and 2019 will probably be similar since this decade never likes to change. :P

2010 - 2012 was the worst part of the decade and it may be forgotted too.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/01/17 at 7:44 am

In 10 years, yes. In 20 years, no.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 10:47 am

Yes, it will. Yolo, Swag, and other catch phrases already are embarrassing. Selfies and hashtags are also embarrassing as well as the general superficial egotistical smartphone zombie culture. Not to mention Donald Trump being president. This entire decade is an embarrassment fest.

Yes definitely. There’s too much to be cringe about  ;D

Yeah, I think most people will like to forget the "#2010's".

Don't forget the SJW vs. Alt right wars

Mostly for the emo parts in the early 2010s, and the Trump/Republican/alt-right/terrorism parts in the mid and late 2010s. People will say that the music and fashion have become classier in some respects, but others will still complain that the pop culture and content has been trashy especially compared to the 20th century.

Looks like everyone says the 2010s is a mistake, yay, we can bring emo back now!

Well, I knew it! So far, the consensus says that this decade will be seen as an embarrassment which I agree with. I actually had aspirations for this era and hoped it would have been better; however, that turned to be terribly incorrect.

In 10 years, yes. In 20 years, no.
I think it will be seen that way even after 20 years. There are too many cringe-worthy things out there.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/01/17 at 1:03 pm

Give it 7 years. People will be singing 2010s praises.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 1:18 pm

Nah. I don't think so. I think there will finally be a time where an era isn't praised.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 1:24 pm

That's true. I'd say the 2010s will suffer huge backlash during the first half of next decade, then around 2025 people will start getting nostalgic for it, especially teens of that time who were kids during this decade. In 20 years the 2010s will be like what the '90s are now and it will have mainstream nostalgia and people will miss it and it will look retro. This happens all the time. The 2000s were said to be the worst decade ever and I clearly remember that and now people are singing 2000s praises.  :P The same will happen with the 2010s, it's just gonna take some time.

Written By: Charmed17 on 10/01/17 at 1:26 pm

Nah. I don't think so. I think there will finally be a time where an era isn't praised.
yeah I believe this decades will not be remembered by many people especially if the 2020s turn out to be awesome.We look back on the 90s,80s,and 70s because they were good and some of the 00s,but I feel this decades won't be remembered but if it is it will be remembered in a bad light or as a joke of a decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 1:30 pm

yeah I believe this decades will not be remembered by many people especially if the 2020s turn out to be awesome.We look back on the 90s,80s,and 70s because they were good and some of the 00s,but I feel this decades won't be remembered but if it is it will be remembered in a bad light or as a joke of a decade.

That's exactly the same thing people said about the 2000s and it's like I remember this comment said about like it was yesterday. People will get nostalgic for the 2010s and it definitely will be remembered, it will just take some time. Give it 10 - 15 years. Even if you don't get nostalgic for it, 2010s kids certainly will and others who have not felt this decade was horrible like me and a few others will get some nostalgia. No doubt is this decade cheesy, but eventually the cheese will be missed by people.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 1:36 pm

That's exactly the same thing people said about the 2000s and it's like I remember this comment said about like it was yesterday. People will get nostalgic for the 2010s and it definitely will be remembered, it will just take some time. Give it 10 - 15 years. Even if you don't get nostalgic for it, 2010s kids certainly will and others who have not felt this decade was horrible like me and a few others will get some nostalgia. No doubt is this decade cheesy, but eventually, the cheese will be missed by people.
Who the hell wants to be nostalgic for emojis, memes, SJWs/Alt-right and cringeworthy catchphrases?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 1:39 pm

yeah, I believe this decade will not be remembered by many people especially if the 2020s turn out to be awesome.We look back on the 90s,80s, and 70s because they were good and some of the 00s, but I feel this decade won't be remembered but if it is it will be remembered in a bad light or as a joke of a decade.
That's how I'm feeling. Yeah, people are going to definitely be personally nostalgic for this decade in future, but generally, I agree it's going to be seen as a hilarious and horrendous joke.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 1:42 pm

Who the hell wants to be nostalgic for emojis, memes, SJWs/Alt-right and cringeworthy catchphrases?

Those weren't the only thing that defined this decade. Besides, some of those things will get nostalgic just like cheesy '80s stuff were nostalgic after a while. Also by the way "cringeworthy" is a 2010s term. It got popular as a meme this decade and you are using it now.  ;D I hate that term by the way lol.

Written By: Charmed17 on 10/01/17 at 1:43 pm

facts who will be nostalgic for day stuff oh wait I know kids like 10yrs or younger no one like 15yrs of age or older will not think this decade is worthy of this cause my little brother is 15 and admits he thinks the past decade had more flavor.if the new 20s culture is cool and better the kids of the 2010s will think the 10s were akward.And I think the 00s were good at least (2000-2006).The only good year in the 10s in my opinion is 2010.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 1:46 pm

facts who will be nostalgic for day stuff oh wait I know kids like 10yrs or younger no one like 15yrs of age or older will not think this decade is worthy of this cause my little brother is 15 and admits he thinks the past decade had more flavor.if the new 20s culture is cool and better the kids of the 2010s will think the 10s were akward.And I think the 00s were good at least (2000-2006).The only good year in the 10s in my opinion is 2010.

People said the exact same thing you said almost word for word about the 2000s. Face it, every decade gets missed in one way or another after some time. It's a natural cycle. Just because you don't like this decade, doesn't mean everyone else doesn't. I like the mid '10s culture personally so I will probably miss that era after a while. Heck as much as I despised the early 2010s, even I will admit I may get nostalgic for some stuff from that era.

Written By: 2001 on 10/01/17 at 1:47 pm

I think this is the kind of thread that Reignman was complaining about. You just assume that everyone hates the 2010s as much as you do. If people can get nostalgic for the creatively bankrupt mid-2000s, then 2010s nostalgia should arrive rather quickly.

Written By: 2001 on 10/01/17 at 1:48 pm

I'm 24. I'm 17-26 this decade, and I love the 2010s and so do many of my friends.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 1:50 pm

That's how I'm feeling. Yeah, people are going to definitely be personally nostalgic for this decade in future, but generally, I agree it's going to be seen as a hilarious and horrendous joke.

The 1980s was seen as a hilarious and horrendous joke in the 1990s, then in the 2000s the 1980s were seen as awesome. Every decade has good and bad culture.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 1:51 pm

I'm 24. I'm 17-26 this decade, and I love the 2010s and so do many of my friends.

Yeah I like this decade too more or less. I have a love/hate relationship with it. It seems like most people on this forum just have a burning hate relationship with it lol

Written By: Rainbowz on 10/01/17 at 1:54 pm

I've got to be honest. I like this decade's pop culture and I will be nostalgic for it, but I'm going to have to answer yes to your question lol. I honestly can't imagine how we'll look back on apps like Musical.ly. I never made one, but I never saw the point in it. People are legit famous all because of it. The only people who will be nostalgic for people like Jacob Sartorius in the future are 10-year-old girls XD

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 1:57 pm

Those weren't the only thing that defined this decade. Besides, some of those things will get nostalgic just like cheesy '80s stuff were nostalgic after a while. Also by the way "cringeworthy" is a 2010s term. It got popular as a meme this decade and you are using it now.  ;D I hate that term by the way lol.
I know there's more that define the era, but most of it will be seen as a hilarious joke and not in a good way.

facts who will be nostalgic for day stuff oh wait I know kids like 10yrs or younger no one like 15yrs of age or older will not think this decade is worthy of this cause my little brother is 15 and admits he thinks the past decade had more flavor.if the new 20s culture is cool and better the kids of the 2010s will think the 10s were awkward.And I think the 00s were good at least (2000-2006).The only good year in the 10s, in my opinion, is 2010.
Pretty much. This decade has been soulless and is lacking many things that even the 00s had.

People said the exact same thing you said almost word for word about the 2000s. Face it, every decade gets missed in one way or another after some time. It's a natural cycle.
The main reason why people said things like that about the 2000s was because of 9/11 which almost overshadowed everything that defined the decade.

I think this is the kind of thread that Reignman was complaining about. You just assume that everyone hates the 2010s as much as you do. If people can get nostalgic for the creatively bankrupt mid-2000s, then 2010s nostalgia should arrive rather quickly.
How? This topic isn't about hating the 2010s. I'm asking if folks in the future will see it as an embarrassment. So far, most have said yes.

The 1980s was seen as a hilarious and horrendous joke in the 1990s, then in the 2000s, the 1980s were seen as awesome. Every decade has good and bad culture.
That depends. The only thing I read that was seen as a hilarious and horrendous joke was the fashion. Everything else, not at all.

I've got to be honest. I like this decade's pop culture and I will be nostalgic for it, but I'm going to have to answer yes to your question lol. I honestly can't imagine how we'll look back on apps like Musical.ly. I never made one, but I never saw the point in it. People are legit famous all because of it. The only people who will be nostalgic for people like Jacob Sartorius in the future are 10-year-old girls XD
Yes! That and all the others. I mean, who's going to be nostalgic about Snapchat and Instagram? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/01/17 at 1:59 pm

Same I'm 10-19 this decade and I really like it. Imo this thread is a little bit stupid, of course people are going to get nostalgic for the 2010s regardless of whether a few people didn't like it or not. Don't try and tell me that in 2030 or whatever you'll look back on 2011 or 2015 for example and think of what a terrible time it was and how you'd never want to go back, I'll tell you now your gonna miss some things about this decade without even knowing it.

Anyways, all decades are viewed as an embarrassment, and cringy stuff and all doesnt mean people don't get nostalgic for it. Just look at the clothes people were wearing back in the early 2000s  8-P 8-P, yet it seems that nearly everyone loves that era.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 2:02 pm

I agree with the thread that the 2010s will be looked back like embarrassment in many ways as I've mentioned before. But I don't think it's a horrible decade though. Just super cheesy and corny lol.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 2:08 pm

Anyways, all decades are viewed as an embarrassment, and cringy stuff and all doesn't mean people don't get nostalgic for it. Just look at the clothes people were wearing back in the early 2000s  8-P 8-P, yet it seems that nearly everyone loves that era.
But the topic is not about if one loves or hates the decade. It's about if it will be seen as an embarrassment due to the cringy fads/culture. Yeah, every decade has somewhat been humiliating, but not on the same level as right now.

As for the early 00s fashion, it may have been that way due to certain trends; however, the women were incredibly sexy :D ;)

Written By: 2001 on 10/01/17 at 2:16 pm

How? This topic isn't about hating the 2010s. I'm asking if folks in the future will see it as an embarrassment. So far, most have said yes.

You did more than just that. Just a few post above mine you said that this decade was an horrendous and horrible joke, and that it was so exceptionally bad that this is the first decade that nostalgia will skip.  ???

I agree with the thread that the 2010s will be looked back like embarrassment in many ways as I've mentioned before. But I don't think it's a horrible decade though. Just super cheesy and corny lol.

I agree with that, it's very a cheesy or corny decade. You'll either find it adorkable or off-putting (that "adorkable" is even a word says a lot about this decade ;D).

But just a few weeks ago,  we had a thread saying this decade is so conformist and terrible that if anything is cheesy it will get looked down on (http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=55571.msg3584554#msg3584554).  Now we have a thread saying that everything is so cheesy that it's a terrible embarrassment that no one will want to remember. The 2010s get hate on from all sides, with no consistent reason. There's no such thing as winning here. ;D

Written By: Charmed17 on 10/01/17 at 2:17 pm

The 80s was a cool kind of cheesy,but the 10s are bad kind of cheesy from what I hear the 80s were always awesome like I said the 2020s  culture will easily make us forget about the 10s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 2:22 pm

You did more than just that. Just a few posts above mine you said that this decade was a horrendous and horrible joke and that it was so exceptionally bad that this is the first decade that nostalgia will skip.  ???
What Charmed said. There's nothing cheesy about this decade. Like I said, who's going to be nostalgic about Pokemon GO, iPhones, emojis, Snapchat and even Trump?

Were the 80s and 90s somewhat humiliating? Yeah, they were in a GOOD way. I don't see that happening with today in the future.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 2:23 pm

The 80s was a cool kind of cheesy,but the 10s are bad kind of cheesy from what I hear the 80s were always awesome like I said the 2020s  culture will easily make us forget about the 10s.

People in the '90s did not think the '80s were cool. Just the opposite actually.

Written By: Howard on 10/01/17 at 2:23 pm

I don't.

Written By: 2001 on 10/01/17 at 2:24 pm

There's no way to quantify bad cheesy or good cheesy. It's purely subjective.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 2:24 pm

What Charmed said. There's nothing cheesy about this decade. Like I said, who's going to be nostalgic about Pokemon GO, iPhones, emojis, Snapchat and even Trump?

Were the 80s and 90s somewhat humiliating? Yeah, they were in a GOOD way. I don't see that happening with today in the future.

How are selfies and stupid catchphrases not cheesy?  ??? And you just agreed with me a few posts back those things were cheesy and yous said they were cringeworthy, and now you are saying they are not? Which one is it? Also Pokemon Go was pretty frickin' awesome.

Written By: Howard on 10/01/17 at 2:26 pm

I know there's more that define the era, but most of it will be seen as a hilarious joke and not in a good way.
Pretty much. This decade has been soulless and is lacking many things that even the 00s had.
The main reason why people said things like that about the 2000s was because of 9/11 which almost overshadowed everything that defined the decade.
That depends. The only thing I read that was seen as a hilarious and horrendous joke was the fashion. Everything else, not at all.
Yes! That and all the others. I mean, who's going to be nostalgic about Snapchat and Instagram? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

and don't forget being nostalgic for Facebook?  ::)

Written By: Howard on 10/01/17 at 2:28 pm

How are selfies and stupid catchphrases not cheesy?  ??? Also Pokemon Go was pretty frickin' awesome.

Pokemon Go was short lived and thank god it didn't last long.

Written By: 2001 on 10/01/17 at 2:31 pm

That's not what you said here.

I think it will be seen that way even after 20 years. There are too many cringe-worthy things out there.

So which is it?

And who's going to be nostalgic for Pokémon GO? Practically everyone who participated? What kind of question is that...  You're arrogantly assuming everyone has the same opinion and experiences as you. And yeah, I will be nostalgic for iPhones and emojis. People are nostalgic for their 2000s phones with terrible software and Yahoo/MSN emoticons, being nostalgic for the superior iPhones and emojis should be logically assumed.

Written By: Charmed17 on 10/01/17 at 2:33 pm

People in the '90s did not think the '80s were cool. Just the opposite actually.
umm the 80s were always cool and so we're the 90s the same won't be said about the 10s in the future like really emojis,Snapchat,Pokemon go,like come on like 2012-2017 has been a waist of pop culture.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 2:36 pm

umm the 80s were always cool and so we're the 90s the same won't be said about the 10s in the future like really emojis,Snapchat,Pokemon go,like come on like 2012-2017 has been a waist of pop culture.

The '80s were not cool in the '90s... That decade suffered severe backlash. The 1980s were not always cool...

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 2:38 pm

And yeah, I will be nostalgic for iPhones and emojis. People are nostalgic for their 2000s phones with terrible software and Yahoo/MSN emoticons, being nostalgic for the superior iPhones and emojis should be logically assumed.

I'm gonna be nostalgic for the times when new smartphones were so exciting and cutting edge. Specifically between 2012 and 2015. This was when there were so many big upgrades in smartphones and exciting tech coming out like smartwatches, VR, AR, etc. Now it's starting to feel very stagnant and there are not as big upgrades as there were before. But the excitement of new phones will be something I will get nostalgic for. Like the old fashioned Samsung Galaxy Note 3 was so futuristic for its time and now it looks very dated haha.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 2:40 pm

How are selfies and stupid catchphrases not cheesy?  ??? Also, Pokemon Go was pretty frickin' awesome.
Umm does, "What are those?", "Damn Daniel!" and "I'm going to out and get wasted. YOLO!" not ring a bell? As for selfies, it shows us how somewhat absorbed we are.

So which is it?

And who's going to be nostalgic for Pokémon GO? Practically everyone who participated? What kind of question is that...  You're arrogantly assuming everyone has the same opinion and experiences as you. And yeah, I will be nostalgic for iPhones and emojis. People are nostalgic for their 2000s phones with terrible software and Yahoo/MSN emoticons, being nostalgic for iPhones and emojis should be logically assumed.
Everything I mentioned in the last post is what is going to be seen as cringe-worthy in the future. Yes, I mentioned that some things will be seen a hilarious joke, but most won't.

I'm not assuming that at all. I just asked a question, and most here honestly have said yes including a few who love this era.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 2:42 pm

Umm does, "What are those?", "Damn Daniel!" and "I'm going to out and get wasted. YOLO!" not ring a bell? As for selfies, it shows us how somewhat absorbed we are.

You didn't answer my question. I said (and you did as well) that those things were cheesy (or cringeworthy, same thing) but you said "there is nothing cheesy about this decade". So why are you contradicting yourself?  ??? Which is it? I asked you how were they "not" cheesy, because you said they weren't.

Written By: Charmed17 on 10/01/17 at 2:43 pm

The '80s were not cool in the '90s... That decade suffered severe backlash. The 1980s were not always cool...
yeah and the 2010s will suffer worse backlash in the 20s than the the 80s did in the 90s the 20s will be bashing the heck out of the 10s.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 2:44 pm

yeah and the 2010s will suffer worse backlash in the 20s than the the 80s did in the 90s the 20s will be bashing the heck out of the 10s.

No doubt they will. But in the 2030s they will be severely missed.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 2:45 pm

You didn't answer my question. I said (and you did as well) that those things were cheesy (or cringeworthy, same thing) but you said "there is nothing cheesy about this decade". So why are you contradicting yourself?  ??? Which is it?
The answer is it's so bad it will make people  8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 2:46 pm

The answer is it's so bad it will make people  8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P.

Yeah they were cheesy... That's what cheesy means. I'm not sure why you contradicted yourself there haha. I just got confused when you said "there was nothing cheesy about this decade", then listed all of the cheesy and corny things. And I didn't understand your answer when I asked "how are those things not cheesy" because you listed even more corny things.

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/01/17 at 2:49 pm

It's gonna be a very long time before people get nostalgia for this decade. I estimate the late 2030s at the earliest because by that time people would've forgotten about the soul crushing SJW mass censorship, the deadly global politics, the sluggish economy, the cringeworthy memes, the horrible pop culture and the gradual shift of video game purchases from ownership to service.

One interesting thing I noticed about the 20 year nostalgia rule is that not everything becomes rosy. Remember in the 00's when people were still lamenting the terrible 80s fashion? Some even said the music was still bad. I came across some cartoon forums from the mid 00s and some posters on there were even saying cartoons were better "now" than during the animation "dark age" which stretched from the late 60s to the late 80s.

Well that's a new one ;D You must be one of those that think Kendrick and Yachty are high art if you think the era that gave us Kanye West, 50 Cent, Lupe fiasco and Common was "creatively bankrupt".

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 2:50 pm

Yeah, they were cheesy... That's what cheesy means. I'm not sure why you contradicted yourself there haha. I just got confused when you said "there was nothing cheesy about this decade", then listed all of the cheesy things.
Doesn't cheesy mean "So bad, it's so good" though? Everything I listed won't be in that category.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 2:51 pm

It's gonna be a very long time before people get nostalgia for this decade. I estimate the late 2030s at the earliest because by that time people would've forgotten about the soul crushing SJW mass censorship, the deadly global politics, the sluggish economy, the cringeworthy memes, the horrible pop culture and the gradual shift of video game purchases from ownership to service.

But the people who are kids now will get nostalgic for it when they become teens and it will probably be an underground nostalgia (like on this forum) for the 2010s just as there is underground nostalgia for the 2000s now. I do think it will suffer a major backlash at the same time though, even more than the 2000s.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 2:52 pm

Doesn't cheesy mean "So bad, it's so good" though? Everything I listed won't be in that category.

No it doesn't mean that... The definition of cheesy is cheap, unpleasant, or blatantly inauthentic. The synonyms are tacky, cheap, tawdry. This was taken from the dictionary.

So cheesy just means "cringeworthy" and corny. However some people like that stuff. Looking back, I may miss some of that stuff in the future if I miss my early '20s years. Doesn't mean the decade is bad. But I agree, many of those things are cheesy and embarrassing. 

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 2:57 pm

No it doesn't mean that... The definition of cheesy is cheap, unpleasant, or blatantly inauthentic. The synonyms are tacky, cheap, tawdry. This was taken from the dictionary.

So cheesy just means "cringeworthy" and corny. However some people like that stuff. Looking back, I may miss some of that stuff in the future if I miss my early '20s years.
Oh. Well my bad then. When I see the word cheesy, I thought it was seen as it was bad, but good. Again, I don't think most will seen in that group though. Since when were emojis for example seen as "it's bad, but so good"?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 3:00 pm

Oh. Well my bad then. When I see the word cheesy, I thought it was seen as it was bad, but good. Again, I don't think most will seen in that group though. Since when were emojis for example seen as "it's bad, but so good"?

No is not that and the definition isn't that. It just means it is unpleasant, cheap, bad and embarrassing. But everything can be seen as so bad that it's so good no matter what it is. Any things that make you cringe, others can love. So it is all relative. In the future, maybe people will love those things. Nobody can predict the future. As Slowpoke said, not everyone will agree that those things are bad.

Written By: Howard on 10/01/17 at 3:03 pm

So which is it?

And who's going to be nostalgic for Pokémon GO? Practically everyone who participated? What kind of question is that...  You're arrogantly assuming everyone has the same opinion and experiences as you. And yeah, I will be nostalgic for iPhones and emojis. People are nostalgic for their 2000s phones with terrible software and Yahoo/MSN emoticons, being nostalgic for the superior iPhones and emojis should be logically assumed.

Pokemon GO was just a fad.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 3:04 pm

No the definition isn't that. It's jsut bad. But everything can be seen as so bad that it's so good no matter what it is. Any things that make you cringe, others can love.
Alright, I see yours and Slowpoke's point; however, the question still isn't about if one loves or hates this decade. It's about if in general will it be seen as humiliating and most here have said yes despite their opinions.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 3:08 pm

Yes, that's exactly what it means.

No Howard, I already explained the definition of it by typing it into Google.  :P It could mean that if you want it to and many people like to turn it into a positive. But "cheesy" is synonymous with embarrassing, cringe-worthy, bad, cheap, unpleasent, etc. Just google the definition and you will see that is what it is an that's the definition.

Overall I definitely think the '10s are cheesy, especially the early part of the decade. But other decades had their fair share too. I do enjoy many aspects of this decade though, specifically the middle part.

Written By: prodanny288 on 10/01/17 at 3:14 pm

I really dislike this decade. I miss the 2000’s, though I didn’t fully get to experience it. (was born in ‘02) Everybody is so absorbed with their smartphone. Today’s rap is absolute crap. They all sound the FREAKING SAME. The top billboards are non-diverse, absolutely nothing good to listen to. It’s difficult to imagine people having nostalgia for this decade. It’s gotten that bad...  :\'(

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 3:27 pm

I really dislike this decade. I miss the 2000’s, though I didn’t fully get to experience it. (was born in ‘02) Everybody is so absorbed with their smartphone. Today’s rap is absolute crap. They all sound the FREAKING SAME. The top billboards are non-diverse, absolutely nothing good to listen to. It’s difficult to imagine people having nostalgia for this decade. It’s gotten that bad...  :\'(
I know how you feel. The only today's rap I like is the non-trap songs, and while there are some mainstream decent songs on the charts, I agree there's not much variety. I really hope that changes next year. We're in need of an overhaul.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 3:36 pm

I hate all the mainstream songs today both trap and not trap.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 3:40 pm

I hate all the mainstream songs today both trap and not trap.
Are there artists you like?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 3:43 pm

Are there artists you like?

Mainstream artists? No. Underground, yes. Hopsin is my favourite underground rapper.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 3:46 pm

Mainstream artists? No. Underground, yes. Hopsin is my favourite underground rapper.
Do you listen other underground music besides hip hop?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 3:47 pm

Do you listen other underground music besides hip hop?

No I mainly listen to rap.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 3:51 pm

Ohhh. Now I see. Do you have other favorites aside from Hopsin?

Written By: prodanny288 on 10/01/17 at 3:54 pm

This decade is the definition of embarrassment. Musical.ly, stupid challenges, music, hipster, TV shows, need I say more?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 3:54 pm

Ohhh. Now I see. Do you have other favorites aside from Hopsin?

I like Lecrae and Tech N9ne too. Among some others.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 4:02 pm

This decade is the definition of embarrassment. Musical.ly, stupid challenges, music, hipster, TV shows, need I say more?
Oh. Thank you for mentioning that. For some reason, I forgot about the challenges that have been done throughout the decade. Do any of you remember planking, the cinnamon challenge etc.?

I like Lecrae and Tech N9ne too. Among some others.
That's good. Are there 10s underground rappers you like besides Hopsin?

Written By: Charmed17 on 10/01/17 at 4:04 pm

spot on why I don't like when people think the 00s were bad they we're frickin awesome compared to the 2010s(the non cool decade).

Written By: Charmed17 on 10/01/17 at 4:09 pm

hell yeah trap rap is straight fake rap/hip hop next decades hip hop will bashing the heck out of today's rap(if you call it that).

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 4:10 pm

Lecrae and Tech 9Ne are 10s underground rappers.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 4:14 pm

spot on why I don't like when people think the 00s were bad they were frickin awesome compared to the 2010s(the non-cool decade).
Agreed! The only thing about the 00s that was terrible was the politics. Everything else was on point! :)

Lecrae and Tech 9Ne are 10s underground rappers.
Tech N9Ne isn't 10s. ???. Yeah, he's definitely underground, but I think he's considered a 90s rapper.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 4:17 pm

Tech N9Ne isn't 10s. ???. Yeah, he's definitely underground, but I think he's considered a 90s rapper.

Because he is popular in the 2010s decade... You don't have to be born an artist in this decade in order to be considered a rapper of this decade lmao. It rarely ever works like that. He has released countless songs this decade and is still popular in the underground scene, he hasn't even reached his peak, he's still releasing hits, so he is a rapper of this decade. Just as much as he was a rapper in prior decades. Same as Hopsin. He got started rapping in the early 2000s, but he is still a rapper of this decade. And as I've mentioned, I also like Lecrae, Zauntee, and NF.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 4:28 pm

Because he is popular in the 2010s decade... You don't have to be born an artist in this decade in order to be considered a rapper of this decade lmao. It rarely ever works like that. He has released countless songs this decade and is still popular in the underground scene, he hasn't even reached his peak, so he is a rapper of this decade. Just as much as he was a rapper in prior decades. Same as Hopsin. He got started rapping in the early 2000s, but he is still a rapper of this decade.
Well, I guess I didn't see it that way. It's amazing how underground artists can stay in the game for THAT long, and not reach their peak. So I wanted to ask you, do you listen to the following today's rappers? Chance, Joey Badass, Torey Lanez, Vic Mensa, Vince Staples, Earl Sweatshirt (and Odd Future except for Frank Ocean), Casey Veggies, Cam Meekins, Russ, and Logic?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 4:30 pm

Well, I guess I didn't see it that way. It's amazing how underground artists can stay in the game for THAT long, and not reach their peak. So I wanted to ask you, do you listen to the following today's rappers? Chance, Joey Badass, Torey Lanez, Vic Mensa, Vince Staples, Earl Sweatshirt (and Odd Future except for Frank Ocean), Casey Veggies, Cam Meekins, Russ, and Logic?

I don't listen to those guys. Too mainstream and not raw enough.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 4:32 pm

I don't listen to those guys. Too mainstream and raw enough.
Mainstream? I never hear these rappers on the radio unless on Pandora and how are they raw?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 4:33 pm

Mainstream? I never hear these rappers on the radio unless on Pandora and how are they raw?

I have all the time. Chance the Rapper is always on the radio. He's a feature in DJ Khaleds song "I'm The One" with Justin Bieber. You never hear I'm the One on the radio? That song constantly gets played and peaked at number 1 on Billboard Hot 100 for weeks in the summer. Not to mention his song "No Problem" charting very high on the charts last year. All of them are very mainstream. And "not raw enough" just means they are too mainstream.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 4:37 pm

I have. Chance the Rapper is always on the radio. He's a feature in DJ Khaleds song "I'm The One" with Justin Bieber. All of them are mainstream.
Nuh uh. Chance isn't that mainstream nor are the others. He's actually still independent.  The mainstream rappers would be Big Sean, Drake, Future, French Montana, Rick Ross, Lil Wayne etc. The ones I mentioned in my last post are nowhere near the same popularity as the ones I said here.

And yes I heard those two, but that's not enough to be mainstream.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 4:38 pm

Nuh uh. Chance isn't that mainstream nor are the others. He's actually still independent.  The mainstream rappers would be Big Sean, Drake, Future, French Montana, Rick Ross, Lil Wayne etc. The ones I mentioned in my last post are nowhere near the same popularity as the ones I said here.

A guy who does a song with Justin Bieber, DJ Khaled, Lil Wayne, and charts high on that song isn't mainsteam? Ok.  ::)

Some artists are more popular than others, doesn't make them underground. All of those artists you mentioned are still mainstream. And there are way more mainstream rappers than that too.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 4:39 pm

A guy who does a song with DJ Khaled, Lil Wayne, and charts high Justin Bieber isn't mainsteam? Ok.  ::)
But that's one song. Besides, he barely became commercial.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 4:40 pm

But that's one song. Besides, he barely became commercial.

You're forgetting his other song, No Problem, which reached the Billboard Hot 50 last year. So that's more than one song. That song reached high in the mainstream Billboard chart, so he is definitely commercial.

Any artist who does their shows in arenas is mainstream, no doubt about it. Hopsin for example, does a show with like 100 people in a bar, and hangs out with his fans afterwards.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 4:46 pm

You're forgetting his other song, No Problem, which reached the Billboard Hot 50 last year. So that's more than one song. Any artist does their shows in arenas is mainstream, no doubt about it.

Hopsin, for example, does a show with like 100 people in a bar and hangs out with his fans afterward.
But two songs are still not enough to be mainstream.

Well, what about the underground rappers? They do shows too, and isn't Hopsin considered an underground rapper?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 4:48 pm

But two songs are still not enough to be mainstream.

Well, what about the underground rappers? They do shows too, and isn't Hopsin considered an underground rapper?

It definitely is enough to be mainstream... Reaching the Billboard charts, a mainstream chart, makes you mainstream. Many people knowing who you are makes you mainstream too.

Underground rappers don't do shows in arenas. They do shows in bars and small theatres and many of them hang out with their fans afterwards. Mainstream rappers sell out shows in large arenas, maybe do an autograph session, then hit the road. That's the difference. And yes Hopsin is totally an underground rapper. He is very underground.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 4:54 pm

It definitely is enough to be mainstream... Reaching the Billboard charts, a mainstream chart, makes you mainstream.

Underground rappers don't do shows in arenas. They do shows in bars and small theatres.
No. That makes one a one hit wonder. If there are more songs and including an album on the charts, then that person is mainstream.

I thought arenas were not that huge for shows. Are they in the middle between small theaters and concerts? And since when did the other underground rappers I mentioned have large shows? Like I said, there's no way they're mainstream?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 4:55 pm

No. That makes one a one hit wonder. If there are more songs and including an album on the charts, then that person is mainstream.

I thought arenas were not that huge for shows. Are they in the middle between small theaters and concerts? And since when did the other underground rappers I mentioned have large shows? Like I said, there's no way they're mainstream?

One hit wonders are mainstram... They are not underground. One "HIT" wonder. Hit is the keyword. They are most definitely mainstream in the entire sense of the word....

An arena is a large venue. What do you mean between "concerts"? A concert is a show. Theatres, arenas, stadiums, etc. are venues.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 4:58 pm

One hit wonders are mainstram... They are not underground. One "HIT" wonder. Hit is the keyword. They are most definitely mainstream in the entire sense of the word....
Well, most of the underground rappers I mentioned have never had a hit on the charts. So how are they mainstream in that description?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 4:59 pm

An arena is a large venue. The largest next to stadiums. What do you mean between "concerts"? A concert is a show. Theatres, arenas, stadiums, etc. are venues. Concerts can happen in arenas and other venues. Underground artists perform in smaller venues (like bars and small theatres) and popular artists perform in larger venues (arenas and stadiums) because more people want to see them.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 5:04 pm

An arena is a large venue. The largest next to stadiums. What do you mean between "concerts"? A concert is a show. Theatres, arenas, stadiums, etc. are venues. Concerts can happen in arenas and other venues. Underground artists perform in smaller venues (like bars and small theatres) and popular artists perform in larger venues (arenas and stadiums) because more people want to see them.
But again, when did those underground rappers have venues? If they were mainstream, they would have had a hit in the charts.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 5:07 pm

But again, when did those underground rappers have venues?

Every artist has venue for their shows. A small bar is a venue. If Joe from across the street lets me use his garage for a small music show for the community, that is a venue.  ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 5:13 pm

Every artist has venue for their shows. A small bar is a venue. If Joe from across the street lets me use his garage for a small music show for the community, that is a venue.  ;D
Well, my question meant to say then when did those underground rappers I mentioned have large shows?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 5:17 pm

Well, my question meant to say then when did those underground rappers I mentioned have large shows?

Those artists you mentioned are mainstream because they belong to major record labels such as Columbia Records and they are all familiar as I have heard about all of them. And I mentioned the arena thing because Chance sells out his shows in them.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 5:22 pm

Those artists you mentioned are mainstream because they belong to major record labels such as Columbia Records and they are all familiar as I have heard about all of them.
Then how come the songs aren't on the radio? I haven't heard anything by Joey Badass, Vic Mensa, Torey Lanez, or even Logic (except one song) on the hip hop stations.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/01/17 at 5:26 pm

Then how come the songs aren't on the radio? I haven't heard anything by Joey Badass, Vic Mensa, Torey Lanez, or even Logic (except one song) on the hip hop stations.

Logic is actually getting big. He's number 4 on the billboard 100 right now.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/01/17 at 5:27 pm

Logic and Chance the Rapper were on the radio. One song does count. Both Logic and Chance are very mainstream. As for the rest, I don't know, maybe the songs are too vulgar so the mainstream stations like Virgin Radio don't play them. But I've heard of them all and I bet they get lots of airplay on Spotify. They may not be as mainstream and popular as Chance and Logic, but I wouldn't consider them underground either. Underground artists are people like Hopsin, NF, Lecrae, Zauntee, etc. People who are not found outside of social media like YouTube.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/01/17 at 5:46 pm

Logic is actually getting big. He's number 4 on the billboard 100 right now.
I'm glad he is, but he barely got there. I listened to his songs and they're great.

Logic and Chance the Rapper were on the radio. One song does count. Both Logic and Chance are very mainstream. As for the rest, I don't know, maybe the songs are too vulgar so the mainstream stations like Virgin Radio don't play them. But I've heard of them all and I bet they get lots of airplay on Spotify. They may not be as mainstream and popular as Chance and Logic, but I wouldn't consider them underground either. Underground artists are people like Hopsin, NF, Lecrae, Zauntee, etc. People who are not found outside of social media like YouTube.
Well, they're arguably better than those trappers. As for Chance and Logic, I would say they're in between. They're not on the same level as Drake and Future yet.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/01/17 at 11:37 pm

I'm making this topic because I have noticed in the past few years there are many fads out there that are considered cringe-worthy hilarious, and others that have horrendous "What were we thinking?" moments.

I just turned 31.  I'm a 90s kid and an early 00s teenagers. There's plenty of cringe in those eras. If you don't look back in enbarrasement...you haven't lived.  You are very unlucky if you don't look back in embarrassment. If you don't, that means nothing has changed.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/02/17 at 1:44 am

I just turned 31.  I'm a 90s kid and an early 00s teenagers. There's plenty of cringe in those eras. If you don't look back in embarrassment...you haven't lived.  You are very unlucky if you don't look back in embarrassment. If you don't, that means nothing has changed.
I'm aware there are cringe-worthy trends from those eras, but the thing is that they were good cheesy, unlike today where it's bad cheesy. Now, I'm not obviously talking about music, films or even the video games as folks will always be nostalgic for those, but rather the unnecessary fads such as the emojis, horrendous catchphrases, and memes.

Written By: Howard on 10/02/17 at 5:22 am

I don't blame you, I hate today's rap too. ::)

Written By: Howard on 10/02/17 at 5:24 am

How about the old school rap? ???

Written By: Howard on 10/02/17 at 5:25 am

Oh. Thank you for mentioning that. For some reason, I forgot about the challenges that have been done throughout the decade. Do any of you remember planking, the cinnamon challenge etc.?

Those are challenges for kids who have no life but to do these dumb challenges just to prove to their friends that their cool. ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/02/17 at 5:31 am

How about the old school rap? ???

Old skool rap is still the best. Guys like the Sugar Hill Gang.

Written By: Howard on 10/02/17 at 6:11 am

Old skool rap is still the best. Guys like the Sugar Hill Gang.

and Grandmaster Flash.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/02/17 at 8:09 am

No, I don't think it'll be looked back at as an embarrassment.

I think that it's gonna be looked in history books as a very interesting time.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/02/17 at 3:54 pm

I'm aware there are cringe-worthy trends from those eras, but the thing is that they were good cheesy, unlike today where it's bad cheesy. Now, I'm not obviously talking about music, films or even the video games as folks will always be nostalgic for those, but rather the unnecessary fads such as the emojis, horrendous catchphrases, and memes.
[/quote

I think the more cringe-worthy, they better. That means you lived in a truly distinctive time even if you think it was terrible. I'm okay with cheesy bad.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/02/17 at 4:11 pm

I think the more cringe-worthy, they better. That means you lived in a truly distinctive time even if you think it was terrible. I'm okay with cheesy bad.

Yeah I'm okay with the bad too. I personally don't use the dumb catch phrases but at least they will be memorable in the future.

Written By: Charmed17 on 10/03/17 at 7:50 pm

This decade is wack no surgar coating.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/03/17 at 8:11 pm

This decade is wack no surgar coating.

Not to me it isn't.

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/04/17 at 1:38 pm

Same.  :\'(

Same here. Outside of collabs with mainstream artists like Khalid, I've never heard those guys on the radio ever.

On the flip side. Lyrical rappers like Lupe Fiasco and Common were mainstream in the late 00s because you did hear them on the radio or in music reels on BET. Lyricism just doesn't make it to the radio anymore.

Written By: Howard on 10/04/17 at 2:46 pm

This decade is wack no sugar coating.

What exactly do you mean by that? ???

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/06/17 at 9:22 pm

Same here. Outside of collabs with mainstream artists like Khalid, I've never heard those guys on the radio ever.

On the flip side. Lyrical rappers like Lupe Fiasco and Common were mainstream in the late 00s because you did hear them on the radio or in music reels on BET. Lyricism just doesn't make it to the radio anymore.
I rather have them been on the radio than ANY of the trappers. I have listened to those artists, and their songs are much better than anything in trap rap.

Yeah, and it sucks. Hopefully, as the decade is on its way out, lyricism will make a comeback.

What exactly do you mean by that? ???
What he means is this decade is unbearably awful and too stagnant.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/06/17 at 9:33 pm

The more people hate on this decade that more I'm convinced it's not that bad.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/06/17 at 9:39 pm

I think the main reason why a lot of people hate this decade is not really anything for them personally, but rather there's NO variety in almost anything in pop culture, and there are way too many horrific events causing a dystopian view.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/06/17 at 10:28 pm

Haha same actually. I hated this decade before too but when I saw how many people complained on here I started liking it more and more because I realized it wasn't that bad.

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/07/17 at 12:12 am

Haha same actually. I hated this decade before too but when I saw how many people complained on here I started liking it more and more because I realized it wasn't that bad.

Once you adapt to crap-factor, it doesn't seem so bad. /s

For real though, I love the video games now. I'd say they're on par with the 90s and 00s and in some ways surpasses them.

Check for new replies or respond here...