inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 9/11 or Oklahoma Bombing of this Decade?

Written By: Wobo on 10/03/17 at 5:08 pm

Ever since yesterday I have been wondering if the Last Vegas shooting was a big tragedy of this decade. So could this shooting be the Oklahoma Bombing or maybe 9/11 of this Decade?

Subject: Re: 9/11 or Oklahoma Bombing of this Decade?

Written By: d90 on 10/03/17 at 6:09 pm

Ever since yesterday I have been wondering if the Last Vegas shooting was a big tragedy of this decade. So could this shooting be the Oklahoma Bombing or maybe 9/11 of this Decade?

I would say it's more like the Oklahoma City Bombing as far as the amount of deaths that occured.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/03/17 at 6:19 pm

If your only talking about America, then maybe. If not however, there have been far worse tragedies which have occurred this decade smh ::)

Written By: 2001 on 10/03/17 at 6:24 pm

There is no equivalent to 9/11 this decade. People will forget about Las Vegas in a week. Maybe Sandy Hook is the worst this decade but even that's a far, far, faaaaar cry from 9/11.

If your only talking about America, then maybe. If not however, there have been far worse tragedies which have occurred this decade smh ::)

I think he's talking about just the US.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/03/17 at 6:36 pm

There is no equivalent to 9/11 this decade. People will forget about Las Vegas in a week. Maybe Sandy Hook is the worst this decade but even that's a far, far, faaaaar cry from 9/11.

Yep, everything you said is true.

Unless, someone blows up the new 1 WTC or two rogue commercial pilots fly a plane into the Willis Tower (or any other famous skyscraper) then I don't see anything becoming the 9/11 of the 2010s (or any decade).

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/03/17 at 6:38 pm

If just the US than not even 9/11 level. But if we're talking the whole world then even 9/11 is nothing compared what went on in the rest of the world.

I find it funny how people always bring up 9/11. If 9/11 is the worst that we've experienced then we don't have much to fear when compared to what other regions went through. But then again this is just me.

But in short the Vegas event had far less deaths than 9/11. It's more Oklahoma bombing in terms of damage. What I'm more curious about is what drives a man to hurt others and than kill himself. We can't even get answers out of him to get why he's done it.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/03/17 at 6:47 pm

If just the US than not even 9/11 level. But if we're talking the whole world then even 9/11 is nothing compared what went on in the rest of the world.

I find it funny how people always bring up 9/11. If 9/11 is the worst that we've experienced then we don't have much to fear when compared to what other regions went through. But then again this is just me.

But in short the Vegas event had far less deaths than 9/11. It's more Oklahoma bombing in terms of damage. What I'm more curious about is what drives a man to hurt others and than kill himself. We can't even get answers out of him to get why he's done it.

I concur with this statement.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/03/17 at 7:57 pm

I would probably say more like the Port Arthur (even though it took place in Australia) of this decade.

Written By: Wobo on 10/03/17 at 8:39 pm

Yep!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/03/17 at 8:46 pm

I think it's the Oklahoma equivalent. That was the worst attack here this decade since Orlando.

People will forget about Las Vegas in a week.
I don't think so. That terrifying event just opened a lot of doors.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/03/17 at 8:55 pm

I don't think so. That terrifying event just opened a lot of doors.

So did the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando...yet that was forgotten quickly.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/03/17 at 8:57 pm

This whole decade has been full of 9/11s. It seems like a terrorist attack happens every week. I don't know if this is a brand new phenomenon, or we simply didn't hear about them and the media didn't broadcast terrorist attacks as much before. But technically the Las Vegas mass shooting was not a terrorist attack (by definition).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/03/17 at 9:53 pm

This whole decade has been full of 9/11s. It seems like a terrorist attack happens every week. I don't know if this is a brand new phenomenon, or we simply didn't hear about them and the media didn't broadcast terrorist attacks as much before. But technically the Las Vegas mass shooting was not a terrorist attack (by definition).

How was it not a terrorist attack by definition? ???

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 10/03/17 at 9:54 pm

I sincerely doubt that any nasty event in this decade is comparable to 9/11 in terms of a political scale. Literally everything changed after 9/11 regarding American policies.

Basically after about two weeks, no one talked about the Pulse Night Club shooting anymore. However, even more than sixteen years after it happened, 9/11 is still ingrained in everyone's heads.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/03/17 at 10:00 pm

How was it not a terrorist attack by definition? ???

Look up the definition... The Vegas shioting was not a terrorist attack.

A terrorist attack is an attack made to get people in fear for political or religious purposes. A mass shooting by an individual with no religious or political motive (they have found no motive of this kind) is just a mass murder by a crazy person, not a terrorist attack.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/03/17 at 10:03 pm

I sincerely doubt that any nasty event in this decade is comparable to 9/11 in terms of a political scale. Literally everything changed after 9/11 regarding American policies.

Basically after about two weeks, no one talked about the Pulse Night Club shooting anymore. However, even more than sixteen years after it happened, 9/11 is still ingrained in everyone's heads.

9/11 was a terrorist attack and so was the Paris, London, Brussels murders and a bunch more that happened.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/03/17 at 10:07 pm

So did the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando...yet that was forgotten quickly.
I don't think it was. It may seem that way to due to the coverage of the election last year and that almost everything is about Trump.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/03/17 at 10:22 pm

I don't think it was. It may seem that way to due to the coverage of the election last year and that almost everything is about Trump.

Well, it definitely was forgotten quickly.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/03/17 at 10:57 pm

Well, it definitely was forgotten quickly.
Not really. There's no way mass shootings can be forgotten quickly. I have seen Charleston, Newtown, Aurora, even Orlando be referenced in articles despite they occurred a year or more ago.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/03/17 at 11:22 pm

Not really. There's no way mass shootings can be forgotten quickly. I have seen Charleston, Newtown, Aurora, even Orlando be referenced in articles despite they occurred a year or more ago.

Yeah, by news organizations and articles....ONLY on occasion. However, the average person has forgotten about them rather quickly. C'mon dude...stop denying the obvious.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/03/17 at 11:53 pm

Yeah, by news organizations and articles....ONLY on occasion. However, the average person has forgotten about them rather quickly. C'mon dude...stop denying the obvious.
How can they forget if there has been too many shootings in the past few years?

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/04/17 at 1:34 pm

The 2015 paris attacks obviously. Over 100 people died and hundreds more were injured. The global political ramifications dwarfed anything from the recent shooting and sent millions people on edge.

Written By: Howard on 10/04/17 at 2:48 pm

I would say it's more like the Oklahoma City Bombing as far as the amount of deaths that occured.

I would definitely say the very same thing too.

Written By: Howard on 10/04/17 at 2:50 pm

Yep, everything you said is true.

Unless, someone blows up the new 1 WTC or two rogue commercial pilots fly a plane into the Willis Tower (or any other famous skyscraper) then I don't see anything becoming the 9/11 of the 2010s (or any decade).

I don't know how you can prevent another one, you need more security or else this is going to keep on happening. ::)

Written By: Howard on 10/04/17 at 2:51 pm

maybe it's the new culture? ???

Written By: Howard on 10/04/17 at 2:53 pm

They're going to be etched in our minds for many years to come.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/04/17 at 2:59 pm

maybe it's the new culture? ???

That would be very sad  :(

Written By: Howard on 10/04/17 at 3:44 pm

That would be very sad  :(

very sad indeed.

Written By: LooseBolt on 10/05/17 at 6:19 am

Honestly, I would say that dubious distinction goes to Sandy Hook. Shooter kills children, half the country shrugs.

Written By: TheKid99 on 10/05/17 at 8:20 am

OK City Bombing.

OK City Bombing was the 9/11 of the 90s and was quite terrible in many ways. Daycare full of innocent kids was their, 23 children were killed. Everyone was outraged....

Nothing will ever compare to the scale of 9/11..... nothing will.

Written By: Rainbowz on 10/05/17 at 10:35 am

This is like comparing apples and oranges

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/05/17 at 10:39 am

FUN FACT: The 1995 Oklahoma City Bombing was the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history for 6 years....until 9/11.

Another fun fact: The 1995 Oklahoma City Bombing is STILL the deadliest domestic terrorist attack in modern U.S. history.

Another one: Timothy McVeigh, who was the perpetrator of the OKC Bombing, was a U.S. Army veteran and was executed on June 11, 2001...exactly 3 months BEFORE 9/11.

Written By: TheKid99 on 10/05/17 at 11:38 am

FUN FACT: The 1995 Oklahoma City Bombing was the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history for 6 years....until 9/11.

Another fun fact: The 1995 Oklahoma City Bombing is STILL the deadliest domestic terrorist attack in modern U.S. history.

Another one: Timothy McVeigh, who was the perpetrator of the OKC Bombing, was a U.S. Army veteran and was executed on June 11, 2001...exactly 3 months BEFORE 9/11.

Another fun fact, the original suspect thought was middle eastern terrorists. Look at CBS Evening News on 4/19/1995. Connie Chung: "According to one US Official, this has Middle Eastern Terrorism written all over." And they only accidentally found McViegh due to a simple traffic stop as one of his tailights was out.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/05/17 at 12:03 pm

Another fun fact, the original suspect thought was middle eastern terrorists. Look at CBS Evening News on 4/19/1995. Connie Chung: "According to one US Official, this has Middle Eastern Terrorism written all over." And they only accidentally found McViegh due to a simple traffic stop as one of his tailights was out.

Yep. Imagine if that traffic stop didn't happen...McVeigh most likely wouldn't have been caught.

Written By: TheKid99 on 10/05/17 at 1:22 pm

Yep. Imagine if that traffic stop didn't happen...McVeigh most likely wouldn't have been caught.

Just looked it up, he was caught 90 minute after the bombing by an OK State Trooper due to not having a licence plate on his car. Simple traffic stop turns into much more...

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 10/05/17 at 2:09 pm

They'd have caught him even without the traffic stop. They had footage of the Ryder truck he rented and ended up getting descriptions of who rented it. I think he rented it under an alias, but I recall something about him still being traceable despite the alias. So they'd have gotten him. It wasn't just serendipity.

As to one of the broader issues of this thread about whether this is like an OKC bombing of this decade, it's not. The death toll is much smaller, but that's not the main difference. The main thing is this event was a mass shooting, not the bombing and total destruction of a federal building as a warning to the government.

I think it's easier for a society, perhaps U.S. society especially, to deal with mass shootings every few months than it would be to go on as usual if every few months a government building was blown up. The OKC bombing was a political attack in a way that many mass shootings aren't, and even the mass shootings that have a political dimension usually aren't direct military-style attacks against the federal government conducted by someone with a very specific grudge. It's usually some vague hatred that drives spree killers moreso than a goal like forcing the government to back down on a perceived agenda, like its use of force against U.S. citizens.

If there was a McVeight-type bombing as frequently as we see shooting sprees, U.S. society would be transformed and perhaps thrown into a low-level civil war like The Troubles in Northern Ireland and Britain (but worse than The Troubles due to scale).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/05/17 at 2:23 pm

They'd have caught him even without the traffic stop. They had footage of the Ryder truck he rented and ended up getting descriptions of who rented it. I think he rented it under an alias, but I recall something about him still being traceable despite the alias. So they'd have gotten him. It wasn't just serendipity.

As to one of the broader issues of this thread about whether this is like an OKC bombing of this decade, it's not. The death toll is much smaller, but that's not the main difference. The main thing is this event was a mass shooting, not the bombing and total destruction of a federal building as a warning to the government.

I think it's easier for a society, perhaps U.S. society especially, to deal with mass shootings every few months than it would be to go on as usual if every few months a government building was blown up. The OKC bombing was a political attack in a way that many mass shootings aren't, and even the mass shootings that have a political dimension usually aren't direct military-style attacks against the federal government conducted by someone with a very specific grudge. It's usually some vague hatred that drives spree killers moreso than a goal like forcing the government to back down on a perceived agenda, like its use of force against U.S. citizens.

If there was a McVeight-type bombing as frequently as we see shooting sprees, U.S. society would be transformed and perhaps thrown into a low-level civil war like The Troubles in Northern Ireland and Britain (but worse than The Troubles due to scale).

I actually agree with you 100%.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/05/17 at 2:36 pm

This is more like the Luby's Cafeteria Massacre of the decade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby%27s_shooting

Check for new replies or respond here...