inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What defines pop culture?

Written By: Charmed17 on 10/05/17 at 4:11 pm

Like I know what pop culture is,but what does it really mean to have great pop culture like what does it need to consist of to be a good pop culture.

Subject: Re: What defines pop culture?

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/05/17 at 5:55 pm

As the good ol' wiki puts it
pop culture is the entirety of attitudes, ideas, images, perspectives, and other phenomena within the mainstream of a given culture. he most common pop culture categories are: entertainment (movies, music, television, games, memes), sports, news (as in people/places in news), politics, fashion/clothes, technology, and slang

So these things
- Movies
- Music
- TV shows
- Video Games
- Toys
- Memes
- Technology
- Slang
- Celebrities
- Sports
- News
- Fashion

All of these things basically sum up pop culture. When people have nostalgia threads and talk about things like commercials or toys they're basically mentioning aspects of old pop culture. Now as for your question.

Like I know what pop culture is,but what does it really mean to have great pop culture like what does it need to consist of to be a good pop culture.

For pop culture to be GOOD is quite subjective. People say that the pop culture from when they were young was great, but then their grand parents say the same thing about the pop culture from when THEY were young etc etc.

In my opinion good pop culture is one that is distinct and fresh. The 2010's pop culture isn't very interesting mainly since it has remained stangant. This is why the 2010's feels consistent. Nothing new was made to break away from the current trends. The 1980s was consistent, but not because of the same way that the 2010s is consistent.

Also the 2010's culture is too busy trying to cash in on old pop culture. If you made a list of all the 80, 90s, or early 00s nostalgia pandering revival we had from just this decade alone your list would be long enough to be its own history book. This is partially why the 2010's doesn't have its own good form of culture. It's stagnant and instead of making new things people are too busy bringing back old things.

The reason the 1980s or 1990s was so good was because they were distinct and really pushed for their own unique era-based feel. Heck even the 2000s did a better job and having its own feel than the 2010s did.

To me to have good pop culture I'd just want new fresh ideas. Although from a more personal biased point I'd basically want something that follows these points
- Unique
- Campy
- Upbeat

These 3 things really sum up decades like the 1980s, 1960s, or even smaller eras like the 6-7 years during the late 1990s-early 2000s (it's why I love 1998 to 2003 so much). But again this is all just from my bias. The 2010s isn't unique as we're too busy making yet ANOTHER revival of old pop culture and adding it into an already stagnant pop culture. Campiness was somewhat around during the early 2010s, but faded out fast. And we're certainly not upbeat since everyone wants to be all serious and emotional with their ideas & views and need to lighten up a little.

Written By: Charmed17 on 10/05/17 at 6:33 pm

As the good ol' wiki puts it
So these things
- Movies
- Music
- TV shows
- Video Games
- Toys
- Memes
- Technology
- Slang
- Celebrities
- Sports
- News
- Fashion

All of these things basically sum up pop culture. When people have nostalgia threads and talk about things like commercials or toys they're basically mentioning aspects of old pop culture. Now as for your question.

For pop culture to be GOOD is quite subjective. People say that the pop culture from when they were young was great, but then their grand parents say the same thing about the pop culture from when THEY were young etc etc.

In my opinion good pop culture is one that is distinct and fresh. The 2010's pop culture isn't very interesting mainly since it has remained stangant. This is why the 2010's feels consistent. Nothing new was made to break away from the current trends. The 1980s was consistent, but not because of the same way that the 2010s is consistent.

Also the 2010's culture is too busy trying to cash in on old pop culture. If you made a list of all the 80, 90s, or early 00s nostalgia pandering revival we had from just this decade alone your list would be long enough to be its own history book. This is partially why the 2010's doesn't have its own good form of culture. It's stagnant and instead of making new things people are too busy bringing back old things.

The reason the 1980s or 1990s was so good was because they were distinct and really pushed for their own unique era-based feel. Heck even the 2000s did a better job and having its own feel than the 2010s did.

To me to have good pop culture I'd just want new fresh ideas. Although from a more personal biased point I'd basically want something that follows these points
- Unique
- Campy
- Upbeat

These 3 things really sum up decades like the 1980s, 1960s, or even smaller eras like the 6-7 years during the late 1990s-early 2000s (it's why I love 1998 to 2003 so much). But again this is all just from my bias. The 2010s isn't unique as we're too busy making yet ANOTHER revival of old pop culture and adding it into an already stagnant pop culture. Campiness was somewhat around during the early 2010s, but faded out fast. And we're certainly not upbeat since everyone wants to be all serious and emotional with their ideas & views and need to lighten up a little.
Thanks Looney toon your right about everything you said.And yes the 2010s culture is very stagnant and stale especially now at this point and are suprised we haven't gotten new different cultural styles yet. :P

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/05/17 at 7:18 pm

- Unique
- Campy
- Upbeat

I question this use of the word "campiness" here and elsewhere in regard to popular culture. I seriously disagree that the 60s were "campy" and I'll throw in that the 70s weren't either. To some looking back, it may LOOK like the 70s, for example, now seem "campy" with the polyester clothing, wide lapels, etc, but I assure you nobody walked around then saying "aren't I so campy?". They were serious about what they were wearing.  "Campiness" implies an intention to be a certain less than serious way. It's a more, well, CAMPY version of irony. In fact the 60s and 70s were dead serious in general, largely due to Vietnam in the 60s and early 70s  and a post-Vietnam malaise later in the 70s. Personally, I can live without both campiness and it's more pretentious cousin irony (the way it is used now by hipsters, i.e. "ironic" glasses, seeing absolutely EVERYTHING as "ironic", etc). Not to say that some emo-based types didn't take things to the opposite extreme, mind you. But I personally would take a healthy seriousness and sincerity over a party it up everything-is-showbiz campiness or a pretentious "ironic" lifestyle anytime. That seriousness and honesty is what the 60s were about. It is what people were searching for.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/05/17 at 7:50 pm

-Great energy
-Innovation
-Not too much stupidity, please?

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/05/17 at 8:05 pm

Thanks Looney toon your right about everything you said.And yes the 2010s culture is very stagnant and stale especially now at this point and are suprised we haven't gotten new different cultural styles yet. :P

Hey I try my best to answer certain things. However, I am clear when I state my own bias. So don't take my answers as the only answer. But for the 2010s I do feel as if we're stagnant in terms of pop culture. But hey I'm sure by the 2030s or so we'll be having them 2010's nostalgia parties or something.

Although it is interesting to imagine what the 2010s would've been like if it had a lot of rapid changes like the 1990s/2000s.

Written By: Charmed17 on 10/06/17 at 7:08 am

Hey I try my best to answer certain things. However, I am clear when I state my own bias. So don't take my answers as the only answer. But for the 2010s I do feel as if we're stagnant in terms of pop culture. But hey I'm sure by the 2030s or so we'll be having them 2010's nostalgia parties or something.

Although it is interesting to imagine what the 2010s would've been like if it had a lot of rapid changes like the 1990s/2000s.
The 2010s would not be so stale and probably would've been an okay decade.i mean some decades fit to be consistent the 80s were but in a better way the 2010s don't fit to be consistent with it's culture that's why things feel stale and like we have been in the same culture for a long time. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...