inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Sonic the Hedgehog officially out of its "dark age"?

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/06/17 at 5:01 pm

With the success of Sonic Colors, Generations, and now Mania, is it safe to say Sanic recovered from the sh*thole of the mid-late 2000s?

https://img.fireden.net/v/image/1507/25/1507254710784.png

During this time, most of these games had little thought or care put into them.

Subject: Re: Is Sonic the Hedgehog officially out of its "dark age"?

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/06/17 at 5:12 pm

Oh boy a Sonic topic.

Alrighty! When it comes to Sonic I can't say yes or no to when it comes to the dark age. The dark age was mainly "all the latest Sonic games suck". For the current age from 2010-onward it was "Right now Sonic is 'eh' " as some were decent while some were bad.

Colors, Generations, Mania were okay. This is it Lost World and Forces (even though it's not even released yet already has mixed reception) is kinda in a weird spot. And spin off games like Sonic Jump, Runners, Runners 2 Boom, Boom Rise of Lyric, Shattered Crystal, Fire and Ice, Runners Adventures etc didn't help in improving Sonic's reputation sadly.

Nowadays I just can't be optimistic for Sonic anymore. But I don't think Sonic is in the same situation as we was during the mid-late 00s. Sonic Team/Sega just need to be more competent with their games. They apologized a while back talking about how they'll make up for their mistakes, but I don't believe it as for now.

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/06/17 at 5:13 pm

Pretty sure Sonic Colours wasn't part of the dark age. Many consider Sonic Adventure to be the beginning of the dark age.

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/06/17 at 5:14 pm

Colors, Generations, Mania were okay.

Everyone else I know says Mania is mind-blowingly good. But you're just saying it's "okay"? Who do I believe? ;D

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/06/17 at 5:22 pm

Everyone else I know says Mania is mind-blowingly good. But you're just saying it's "okay"? ???

Yep. For a game that is supposedly mind-blowing it certainly doesn't try to be original. 75% of the content is ripped from old Sonic games. The old zones are "remixed", but that isn't new for Sonic as he has been doing that since Sonic 4 and Generations. The game is fine, but I don't like having to pad through old zones just to see the new stuff. Made it feel as if the I've already played the game way before it even came out. Honestly find the game overrated. If people like it then I certainly won't bash them (I'm not THAT petty), but don't see me praise the game for having content that multiple games before it already had.

Pretty sure Sonic Colours wasn't part of the dark age. Many consider Sonic Adventure to be the beginning of the dark age.

Adventures is more silver age (Sonic Adventure, Adventure 2, Heroes, Advance 1-3, Battle, Rush from 1999-2005). When it originally released in 1999 it was met with a ton of good reception. The dark age is said to have started with Sonic 06 as that is the game that is on the list of "Worst games of all time" (wiki it if you don't believe) and is the game that is said to almost kill Sonic if it was for the success of Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Rush. Sonic Adventure certainly didn't put Sonic anywhere near the situation Sonic 06 did.

Who do I believe? ;D

Believe what you want to believe. I'm not trying to win you over to my opinion. Just tried to answer the question.  If you think Mania was great then who am I to ruin your joy?

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/06/17 at 5:35 pm

Adventures is more silver age (Sonic Adventure, Adventure 2, Heroes, Advance 1-3, Battle, Rush from 1999-2005). When it originally released in 1999 it was met with a ton of good reception. The dark age is said to have started with Sonic 06 as that is the game that is on the list of "Worst games of all time" (wiki it if you don't believe) and is the game that is said to almost kill Sonic if it was for the success of Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Rush. Sonic Adventure certainly didn't put Sonic anywhere near the situation Sonic 06 did.

Shadow the Hedgehog began the dark age, in my opinion.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/06/17 at 5:50 pm

Shadow the Hedgehog began the dark age, in my opinion.

I suppose. When I mention Dark age I'm also including the state of the Sonic fan community. Right now it's just one big mess. Been this way since the dark age began and is now just the joke of the internet. In the Golden to Silver age the fanbase was more tolerable from what I hear. Both the franchise and the fanbase as become unbearable at this point. I stopped being a part of it when Rise of Lyric released I just realized that things are becoming too cancerous. Sega isn't helping in the slightest and everyone has resorted to acting like little children when it comes to the mention of sonic.

Now I'm just a casual fan these days. I keep up with Sonic from time to time, but I don't interact with the fanbase anymore.

Written By: John Titor on 10/06/17 at 6:05 pm

SOnic heroes tho

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/06/17 at 6:51 pm

I think Sonic has been out of the Dark age for some time. The first game that was positive since then was Colors, and that was back in 2010. The only ones I heard were awful so far were The Lost World and Boom (and Rise of Lyric).

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/06/17 at 7:24 pm

SOnic heroes tho

Sonic Heroes was alright. More Silver age era than Dark age. When Sonic Heroes was released it's reception was more "decent/average" than "worst game of all time/down right unplayable". And the fanbase at the time certainly weren't up in arms about it during its release. There was more praise for Heroes than Shadow the Hedgehog onward.

I think Sonic has been out of the Dark age for some time. The first game that was positive since then was Colors, and that was back in 2010. The only ones I heard were awful so far were The Lost World and Boom (and Rise of Lyric).

I thought Lost World was kind of decent to be honest. The game's reception was polarizing with people saying it was bad and people saying it was great. I think it was good, but I can see the issues with it. Although I do love the PC mods that were made for it. Only thing I liked about Boom Rise of Lyric was the villian Lyric as I thought his design was cool.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/10/17 at 10:58 pm

I thought Lost World was kind of decent, to be honest. The game's reception was polarizing with people saying it was bad and people saying it was great. I think it was good, but I can see the issues with it. Although I do love the PC mods that were made for it. Only thing I liked about Boom Rise of Lyric was the villain Lyric as I thought his design was cool.
I hope the new installment receives high positive reviews. I actually would like to play it right now, but I, unfortunately, don't have any of the current consoles.

Check for new replies or respond here...