inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why do people say it's harder to date now?

Written By: Charmed17 on 10/07/17 at 10:28 pm

New topic on a subject I've been wondering why people say it's harder to date now ::)

Subject: Re: Why do people say it's harder to date now?

Written By: 2001 on 10/07/17 at 10:32 pm

You can't pick up girls at the bar these days. When I go with my friends it completely falters and looks out of place. Everything is expected to be online these days, including courtship. The thing is though, the gender ratio online is completely lopsided. There are way more men than women on dating sites, it's not even close. Women get way more many messages than they can reasonably reply to, so they have to be picky. I guess that's why it feels so difficult for men.

Written By: Charmed17 on 10/07/17 at 10:37 pm

You can't pick up girls at the bar these days. When I go with my friends it completely falters and looks out of place. Everything is expected to be online these days, including courtship. The thing is though, the gender ratio online is completely lopsided. There are way more men than women on dating sites, it's not even close. Women get way more many messages than they can reasonably reply to, so they have to be picky. I guess that's why it feels so difficult for men.
Thanks man!!!yeah cause if find many pretty women that I fail with on dates cause it seems harder to have the same interest.eventhough those girls still say they love me ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 10/08/17 at 12:30 am

Because everybody is too attached to their smartphone they forgot how to socialize and talk to people in person.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/08/17 at 2:20 am

Millennials and plurals these days are way more into casual sex hookups than committed relationships. Some people even stigmatize relationships as a conservative construct.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/08/17 at 2:47 am

Because everybody is too attached to their smartphone they forgot how to socialize and talk to people in person.
Exactly as I was going to say!

Their phone is their friend, and interaction face to face with anyone is not existing anymore, and yes, it is harder to associate.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/08/17 at 2:48 am

Millennials and plurals these days are way more into casual sex hookups than committed relationships. Some people even stigmatize relationships as a conservative construct.

I don't understand the appeal in that. What hope do those people have of ever finding true love?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/08/17 at 3:25 am

Which beckons the future of more children with a single parent (usually the mother) to bring them up?

Written By: Howard on 10/08/17 at 7:23 am

I was thinking the very same thing too Slim, people these days are just too attached to their devices that they forget what it's like to have face to face conversations with someone on the street.

Written By: Howard on 10/08/17 at 7:25 am

Exactly as I was going to say!

Their phone is their friend, and interaction face to face with anyone is not existing anymore, and yes, it is harder to associate.

cause I remember even way before smartphones even existed you could have face to face conversations with someone.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/08/17 at 10:01 am

Yep, you're absolutely correct.

I don't think that way because I want a committed and monogamous relationship with a woman.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/08/17 at 10:06 am

If there are more casual sex hookups, then how come there have been articles stating that Millennials are having less sex than previous generations?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/08/17 at 10:07 am

If there are more casual sex hookups, then how come there have been articles stating that Millennials are having less sex than previous generations?

Those two things don't necessarily negate each other.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/08/17 at 10:09 am

Those two things don't necessarily negate each other.
What do you mean?

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/08/17 at 10:13 am

People really need to realize the "Everyone is attached to their phones these days." has been said to the blink of existence. Its never gonna change.

Communication will never be how it was in previous decades like the 2000s and 90s in the continuum.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/08/17 at 10:30 am

What do you mean?

Sex is not just casual sex. So Millennials can be having more causal sex but overall their rate of sex is lower than previous generations.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/08/17 at 10:39 am

I'm older and married now, but I hear the dating scene is rough out there. I was enjoying it when I first turned 21 in the Y2K era and going out to clubs. Back in those days, rejection was the only thing to fear. Nowadays with the 20-something Millennial, you have to worry about catching a case as they are quick to pull the SH card. The smartphone/social media culture has really impaired their face-to-face in person social skills.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/08/17 at 12:32 pm

Sex is not just casual sex. So Millennials can be having more casual sex but overall their rate of sex is lower than previous generations.
Oh. Now I see what you mean. One of the reasons for that has to do with some still being in their parents' household where it is seen as embarrassing to be making love in front of one's parents.

I'm older and married now, but I hear the dating scene is rough out there. I was enjoying it when I first turned 21 in the Y2K era and going out to clubs. Back in those days, rejection was the only thing to fear. Nowadays with the 20-something Millennial, you have to worry about catching a case as they are quick to pull the SH card. The smartphone/social media culture has really impaired their face-to-face in-person social skills.
This! For the past few years, there has been a surge of accusations where men have either raped or sexually assaulted women they're with, and it turns out not to be true.

Written By: Howard on 10/08/17 at 12:50 pm

Yep, you're absolutely correct.

I don't think that way because I want a committed and monogamous relationship with a woman.

What kind of woman you interested in? ???

Written By: Howard on 10/08/17 at 12:52 pm

People really need to realize the "Everyone is attached to their phones these days." has been said to the blink of existence. Its never gonna change.

Communication will never be how it was in previous decades like the 2000s and 90s in the continuum.

and that's why people are hooking up for a date on websites instead of going out and looking for one themselves without the use of technology.

Written By: Howard on 10/08/17 at 12:54 pm

I'm older and married now, but I hear the dating scene is rough out there. I was enjoying it when I first turned 21 in the Y2K era and going out to clubs. Back in those days, rejection was the only thing to fear. Nowadays with the 20-something Millennial, you have to worry about catching a case as they are quick to pull the SH card. The smartphone/social media culture has really impaired their face-to-face in person social skills.

and this why we live in this culture.

Written By: Howard on 10/08/17 at 1:04 pm

Oh. Now I see what you mean. One of the reasons for that has to do with some still being in their parents' household where it is seen as embarrassing to be making love in front of one's parents.
This! For the past few years, there has been a surge of accusations where men have either raped or sexually assaulted women they're with, and it turns out not to be true.

When I was dating at the time, it was in 2006 and I was a bit horny but she wasn't mainly because of her Asperger's Syndrome, her parents went on vacation and Her And I were alone in her house, both of us were on the couch together and made out and a few minutes later she didn't want to go any further cause she maybe had felt a bit uncomfortable and the problem was that both of us were living with our parents at the time, I still am now but I don't know about her but Her And I broke up in February 2008. Sorry if this was a bit too long but I just thought I'd share it with you.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/08/17 at 1:08 pm

What kind of woman you interested in? ???

Woman who are not mean, selfish, disrespectful, mentally ill, not hygienic, rude, lack a sense of humor, loud.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/08/17 at 1:14 pm

When I was dating at the time, it was in 2006 and I was a bit horny but she wasn't mainly because of her Asperger's Syndrome, her parents went on vacation and Her And I were alone in her house, both of us were on the couch together and made out and a few minutes later she didn't want to go any further cause she maybe had felt a bit uncomfortable and the problem was that both of us were living with our parents at the time, I still am now but I don't know about her but Her And I broke up in February 2008. Sorry if this was a bit too long but I just thought I'd share it with you.
No worries man. I'm glad you did because it shows that why sex with Millennials is on the decline. I don't think anyone would want to make love in their parents household becuase they could walk up on them having sex, and not even realize it.

Written By: Howard on 10/08/17 at 1:47 pm

No worries man. I'm glad you did because it shows that why sex with Millennials is on the decline. I don't think anyone would want to make love in their parents household because they could walk up on them having sex, and not even realize it.

She was uncomfortable but I was itching to do it but the problem is when you're living in your parent's house, there's hardly privacy. We would have to wait till her parents went out to dinner or to do something for the night. Her Mother And Father being the Jewish parents they were, were a bit over protective of her. I was like saying to myself trying not to be the 40 year old virgin and here I am almost 44 and nothing.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/08/17 at 3:26 pm

Her Mother And Father being the Jewish parents they were, were a bit over protective of her.

Heck I know some Jewish, Catholic, and Protestant chicks who are absolute freaks in the sheets.  :o

Written By: John Titor on 10/08/17 at 4:59 pm

SCARY

Written By: John Titor on 10/08/17 at 4:59 pm

STD rates have risen since okcupid and tinder came out ironically

Written By: Howard on 10/09/17 at 5:08 am

Heck I know some Jewish, Catholic, and Protestant chicks who are absolute freaks in the sheets.  :o

They were Ashkenazi.

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/09/17 at 4:19 pm

This is why I hate being a young adult in the 2010s. There just seems to be no girl out there that I can really connect with and pursue a relationship with. This whole conformist culture is really alienating people like me. And being the stubborn person that I am, I refuse to "adapt" to the current culture. Doing so would just mean destroying what makes me who I am. The fact that people are so addicted to their smartphones and social media, makes me bitter towards the people that are responsible (aka the tech companies). I understand that technology advancing is just apart of life, and I'm all for that. But what's happening right now within this decade does not seem natural to me.  The conformist culture of the 2010s is probably at its worst in the Silicon Valley. Here, almost everyone acts the same, thinks the same, talks the same, dresses the same (especially people my age), likes the same kind of music, movies, T.V. shows. And all of them, and I mean ALL OF THEM are totally infatuated with 2010s culture and completely embody it. Maybe it's good that their happy, but the fact is that the current era is isolating people like me. It's come to the point where my sense of belonging and solace is completely disappearing. I wish I could do something about it but I just can't seem to find any answers. I just end up feeling frustrated at the way the world is now. Honestly, I don't care about having the "perfect pop culture" anymore. I just want this homogeny to die out. I want to find at least some sense of belonging. It's not like I can't get along with people who are different. But sometimes you can be so different that you feel like there's no one like you, or at least someone who has similar interests that you can connect with. All I know is that I can't just accept things the way that they are. I'm not asking for the perfect world. I just want to be able to find friends that I can share a true connection with, and of course find a girl who will love me for who I am.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/09/17 at 4:25 pm

This is why I hate being a young adult in the 2010s. There just seems to be no girl out there that I can really connect with and pursue a relationship with. This whole conformist culture is really alienating people like me. And being the stubborn person that I am, I refuse to "adapt" to the current culture. Doing so would just mean destroying what makes me who I am. The fact that people are so addicted to their smartphones and social media, makes me bitter towards the people that are responsible (aka the tech companies). I understand that technology advancing is just apart of life, and I'm all for that. But what's happening right now within this decade does not seem natural to me.  The conformist culture of the 2010s is probably at its worst in the Silicon Valley. Here, almost everyone acts the same, thinks the same, talks the same, dresses the same (especially people my age), likes the same kind of music, movies, T.V. shows. And all of them, and I mean ALL OF THEM are totally infatuated with 2010s culture and completely embody it. Maybe it's good that their happy, but the fact is that the current era is isolating people like me. It's come to the point where my sense of belonging and solace is completely disappearing. I wish I could do something about it but I just can't seem to find any answers. I just end up feeling frustrated at the way the world is now. Honestly, I don't care about having the "perfect pop culture" anymore. I just want this homogeny to die out. I want to find at least some sense of belonging. It's not like I can't get along with people who are different. But sometimes you can be so different that you feel like there's no one like you, or at least someone who has similar interests that you can connect with. All I know is that I can't just accept things the way that they are. I'm not asking for the perfect world. I just want to be able to find friends that I can share a true connection with, and of course find a girl who will love me for who I am.

Yes exactly! I like technology too but I do not like addiction to technology and the whole conformist attitude. I appreciate what technology can do but not take advantage of it. I often deactivate all my social media so I can take a mental break for a bit. I don't know how people can constantly be on social media and stare into their phones while walking, that can't be healthy. I'm one of the only people my age without Instagram too, I just find some apps dumb and I have no use for them. I honestly feel like dating was way easier back then despite all the dating apps we have online now.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/09/17 at 6:39 pm

This is why I hate being a young adult in the 2010s. There just seems to be no girl out there that I can really connect with and pursue a relationship with. This whole conformist culture is really alienating people like me. And being the stubborn person that I am, I refuse to "adapt" to the current culture. Doing so would just mean destroying what makes me who I am. The fact that people are so addicted to their smartphones and social media, makes me bitter towards the people that are responsible (aka the tech companies). I understand that technology advancing is just apart of life, and I'm all for that. But what's happening right now within this decade does not seem natural to me.

You hit the nail on the head and that's primarily one of the reasons why I dislike this decade. I was never a fan of crunk or most of the pop releases from the 2000s, but I still felt like I could connect with the culture. However, this decade has been the complete opposite. I'm 18 and I feel as though pop-culture isn't even targeted towards me anymore. It's horrible.

In regards to the conformity, I absolutely agree. I hate how everyone must keep up with the latest "fad" (e.g fidget spinners) and like the same stupid 5-second video on social media. I'm not bitter towards the tech companies; i'm bitter towards people in general. Honestly, it's like people can't even think for themselves anymore. They need to "google" everything.  ::)

Written By: prodanny288 on 10/09/17 at 6:50 pm

You hit the nail on the head and that's primarily one of the reasons why I dislike this decade. I was never a fan of crunk or most of the pop releases from the 2000s, but I still felt like I could connect with the culture. However, this decade has been the complete opposite. I'm 18 and I feel as though pop-culture isn't even targeted towards me anymore. It's horrible.

In regards to the conformity, I absolutely agree. I hate how everyone must keep up with the latest "fad" (e.g fidget spinners) and like the same stupid 5-second video on social media. I'm not bitter towards the tech companies; i'm bitter towards people in general. Honestly, it's like people can't even think for themselves anymore. They need to "google" everything.  ::)

I can relate 100%. Atleast in the 2000's you still had people whose biggest worry wasn't losing their f*cking smartphone. There are moments where I try to have a conversation with somebody, but apparently their smartphone is more important than what I'm saying. There are moments where I try to talk to my mom, dad, and even my younger sister and they're busy on their smartphone. It's so sad how times have changed.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/09/17 at 9:14 pm

It really couldn't be helped man. This is why I'm a nostalgia dude. I just wanna keep running, running away and never look back. Its complicated and like, I don't know what to do anymore.

I hope I can run into a female, 21 are over in this university college I plan to return to, uneasily as a guest. No other way I can get in.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/09/17 at 11:35 pm

STD rates have risen since OkCupid and tinder came out ironically
Damn! Really? That sucks!

This is why I hate being a young adult in the 2010s. There just seems to be no girl out there that I can really connect with and pursue a relationship with. This whole conformist culture is really alienating people like me. And being the stubborn person that I am, I refuse to "adapt" to the current culture. Doing so would just mean destroying what makes me who I am. The fact that people are so addicted to their smartphones and social media, makes me bitter towards the people that are responsible (aka the tech companies). I understand that technology advancing is just apart of life, and I'm all for that. But what's happening right now within this decade does not seem natural to me.  The conformist culture of the 2010s is probably at its worst in the Silicon Valley. Here, almost everyone acts the same, thinks the same, talks the same, dresses the same (especially people my age), likes the same kind of music, movies, T.V. shows. And all of them, and I mean ALL OF THEM are totally infatuated with 2010s culture and completely embody it. Maybe it's good that they're happy, but the fact is that the current era is isolating people like me. It's come to the point where my sense of belonging and solace is completely disappearing. I wish I could do something about it but I just can't seem to find any answers. I just end up feeling frustrated at the way the world is now. Honestly, I don't care about having the "perfect pop culture" anymore. I just want this homogeny to die out. I want to find at least some sense of belonging. It's not like I can't get along with people who are different. But sometimes you can be so different that you feel like there's no one like you or at least someone who has similar interests that you can connect with. All I know is that I can't just accept things the way that they are. I'm not asking for the perfect world. I just want to be able to find friends that I can share a true connection with, and of course, find a girl who will love me for who I am.
Yeah, I totally agree with your entire post. It's honestly why the dating scene has declined in the past few years. As for the conformist culture, I don't like it either. That's why I stick true to myself than rather be something that's not apart of me. I really hope a variety of cultures make a huge comeback soon where people can be different, and not be criticized for who they are.

Oh if it's not personal, what types of women do you like? Are there any you like in Silicon Valley who have the same interests as you?

Written By: Howard on 10/10/17 at 7:14 am

Yes exactly! I like technology too but I do not like addiction to technology and the whole conformist attitude. I appreciate what technology can do but not take advantage of it. I often deactivate all my social media so I can take a mental break for a bit. I don't know how people can constantly be on social media and stare into their phones while walking, that can't be healthy. I'm one of the only people my age without Instagram too, I just find some apps dumb and I have no use for them. I honestly feel like dating was way easier back then despite all the dating apps we have online now.

I feel the very same way back when we didn't have social media everywhere and back when dating was a face to face conversations and not staring at your phones all the time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/11/17 at 12:16 pm

Another strong reason why it is harder to date now, women are are wary of strangers and do not not to associate as in the olden day, just a meal, cinema, innocent date. It seems now it is on night stands and the male counterpart disappearing into the night never to be seen again, leaving women with child.

Written By: Howard on 10/11/17 at 2:50 pm

Another strong reason why it is harder to date now, women are are wary of strangers and do not not to associate as in the olden day, just a meal, cinema, innocent date. It seems now it is on night stands and the male counterpart disappearing into the night never to be seen again, leaving women with child.

maybe women want sex before dating, like one night stands.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/11/17 at 2:51 pm

maybe women want sex before dating, like one night stands.
Some do, but on general it is all the after effects.

Check for new replies or respond here...