inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Something about 2010s culture

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/09/17 at 11:05 pm

I was watching a stand-up comedy show earlier with my friend, and they were making jokes about certain groups that are stereotypically true, and people were constantly laughing without any issues. Unfortunately today, one would be pressed to know that jokes (even small ones) can't be funny anymore. I have noticed over the last few years, anytime someone makes a joke (and it's not serious), many people start to get offended and fussy to the point where the person who made that joke is forced to apologize and has to promise not to it again.

It sucks so much because laughter is the best medicine, and folks can't laugh at a silly joke without one person getting offended these days. I think it's one of the reasons why today's culture is SO toxic. I really hope soon, we can return to a time where we can all make jokes (as long as they're not serious) about each other and other groups to where we can laugh at ourselves and at others without any problems.

What do you all think?

Subject: Re: Something about 2010s culture

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/10/17 at 12:58 am

Damn 2010's political nonsense. Nowadays people are too sensitive. Comedians would be called "racists" for making a joke that wasn't racist, but COULD be viewed as racist. People would get the smallest thing and blow it up on social media. Next thing you know it's making headlines in articles and tv news. 

We MIGHT return to how it was before, but I'm not sure how it'll happen.

Written By: LooseBolt on 10/10/17 at 7:20 am

I'm of the opposite opinion. As a law student friend of mine once wisely said, what makes it wrong is not simply that it's offensive, because often even the subject of the joke might give it a pass if it's funny. It's wrong if it's not funny but just offensive.

I think that's what ruffles everyone's feathers, after all. It's not offensiveness in itself, but that the joke only has that shock value to it. There's nothing "funny" about it apart from being offensive.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/10/17 at 9:18 pm

Damn 2010's political nonsense. Nowadays people are too sensitive. Comedians would be called "racists" for making a joke that wasn't racist but COULD be viewed as racist. People would get the smallest thing and blow it up on social media. Next thing you know it's making headlines in articles and tv news. 

We MIGHT return to how it was before, but I'm not sure how it'll happen.
Yeah, now even comedians can't make jokes anymore (that's their job) and doing so just for a second they are on the brink of being fired. It's why we haven't any new stand-up comedies from well-known comedians these past few years.

I'm of the opposite opinion. As a law student friend of mine once wisely said, what makes it wrong is not simply that it's offensive, because often even the subject of the joke might give it a pass if it's funny. It's wrong if it's not funny but just offensive.

I think that's what ruffles everyone's feathers, after all. It's not offensiveness in itself, but that the joke only has that shock value to it. There's nothing "funny" about it apart from being offensive.
But it's not like people are being serious about their jokes. They just want to make others laugh.

Written By: 2001 on 10/10/17 at 9:51 pm

I'm on team #MakeItAwkward. Tell them you didn't get the joke and ask them to explain it. Shuts people up without having to call them racist.

Idk what people find so funny about saying nigg*r, Jew or fag all the time. It's not even edgy by 11 year old standards. I don't get offended since it's so common but it does make people look stupid and not very intellectual.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/10/17 at 11:02 pm

I'm on team #MakeItAwkward. Tell them you didn't get the joke and ask them to explain it. Shuts people up without having to call them racist.

Idk what people find so funny about saying nigg*r, Jew or fag all the time. It's not even edgy by 11-year-old standards. I don't get offended since it's so common but it does make people look stupid and not very intellectual.
Well, those jokes have never been funny, so I understand why people would get upset of those things; however, there are a lot of other jokes that are not only true but funny as well. People should laugh at themselves first before they get mad. Not everything has to be serious.

Written By: Mat1991 on 10/10/17 at 11:33 pm

Maybe it's just that what society considers funny is changing. I remember an All That skit from the late '90s featuring Kenan Thompson and Kel Mitchell portraying ghetto black convenience store employees. I don't know if that would be as accepted today. But remember that we live in turbulent socio-political times. The social justice warrior and Black Lives Matter movements didn't just come out of nowhere for no reason.

Also consider that decades ago things like blackface and minstrel shows were very popular and considered quite comical. There's no way that would fly today.

Written By: LooseBolt on 10/11/17 at 2:52 am

Also consider that decades ago things like blackface and minstrel shows were very popular and considered quite comical. There's no way that would fly today.

Precisely. And in the coming years, we'll achieve a greater understanding of where the new comedy zeitgeist is heading.

Written By: Charmed17 on 10/11/17 at 6:21 am

I was watching a stand-up comedy show earlier with my friend, and they were making jokes about certain groups that are stereotypically true, and people were constantly laughing without any issues. Unfortunately today, one would be pressed to know that jokes (even small ones) can't be funny anymore. I have noticed over the last few years, anytime someone makes a joke (and it's not serious), many people start to get offended and fussy to the point where the person who made that joke is forced to apologize and has to promise not to it again.

It sucks so much because laughter is the best medicine, and folks can't laugh at a silly joke without one person getting offended these days. I think it's one of the reasons why today's culture is SO toxic. I really hope soon, we can return to a time where we can all make jokes (as long as they're not serious) about each other and other groups to where we can laugh at ourselves and at others without any problems.

What do you all think?
and now you know one of the major reason I think this decade is foolish for the most part especially 2012-2017. ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/11/17 at 11:08 am

Maybe it's just that what society considers funny is changing. I remember an All That skit from the late '90s featuring Kenan Thompson and Kel Mitchell portraying ghetto black convenience store employees. I don't know if that would be as accepted today. But remember that we live in turbulent socio-political times. The social justice warrior and Black Lives Matter movements didn't just come out of nowhere for no reason.

Also, consider that decades ago things like blackface and minstrel shows were very popular and considered quite comical. There's no way that would fly today.
Yeah, that's a possibility. These days, anytime someone makes a joke, it seems to backfire right back on that person. As for that skit, I wouldn't think so now due to the political culture we're currently in. I hope that changes soon because, without laughter, it gets boring.

Yeah, that stuff has practically been banned for a long time. I'm not asking for that to come back, but more on people making everyday jokes where others can laugh without any issues.

and now you know one of the major reason I think this decade is foolish for the most part especially 2012-2017. ;D
I take you love comedy shows? ;)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/11/17 at 11:42 am

Yeah, that's a possibility. These days, anytime someone makes a joke, it seems to backfire right back on that person. As for that skit, I wouldn't think so now due to the political culture we're currently in. I hope that changes soon because, without laughter, it gets boring.

Yeah, that stuff has practically been banned for a long time. I'm not asking for that to come back, but more on people making everyday jokes where others can laugh without any issues.

I think that you missed his point. Those things such as blackface and minstrels used to be considered normal and funny. If you didn't find them funny then you were considered either a "n*gger" or "n*gger lover". However, as time went on we found that those things were NOT funny and offensive to African Americans. So we as a society has (mostly) done away with blackface and ministrel shows.

So...just because those racial stereotype jokes may seem innocuous to you (and me)....to others it's not and we should not just discredit them as being "whiners", "too sensitive", "uptight", "butthurt", etc.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/11/17 at 12:04 pm

I think that you missed his point. Those things such as blackface and minstrels used to be considered normal and funny. If you didn't find them funny then you were considered either a "n*gger" or "n*gger lover". However, as time went on we found that those things were NOT funny and offensive to African Americans. So we as a society have (mostly) done away with blackface and minstrel shows.

So...just because those racial stereotype jokes may seem innocuous to you (and me)....to others it's not and we should not just discredit them as being "whiners", "too sensitive", "uptight", "butthurt", etc.
Yeah, I know they were.

Oh, and I'm not just talking about racial stereotype jokes, but all the others as well. The stand-up comedy show I was watching when I made this topic also had jokes about rednecks, old people, pimps and even Mexicans. The entire crowd was laughing at them and no one was offended, but I will say the show wasn't a recent one. It was from 2009.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/11/17 at 12:58 pm

Yeah, I know they were.

Oh, and I'm not just talking about racial stereotype jokes, but all the others as well. The stand-up comedy show I was watching when I made this topic also had jokes about rednecks, old people, pimps and even Mexicans. The entire crowd was laughing at them and no one was offended, but I will say the show wasn't a recent one. It was from 2009.

Those are stereotype jokes bruh (mostly racial) ;D.

So my point is proven :-X.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/11/17 at 2:27 pm

Those are stereotype jokes bruh (mostly racial) ;D.

So my point is proven :-X.
I know they were mainly stereotypical jokes, but I'm also talking about in general. You won't find simple jokes these days anymore.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/11/17 at 2:33 pm

I know they were mainly stereotypical jokes, but I'm also talking about in general. You won't find simple jokes these days anymore.
Here in the UK, we have an awarding comedian who is famous for his one liners, nothing racial, etc...

One good example "I've decided to sell my Hoover… well, it was just collecting dust."

Here are 50 of his best: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/television/tim-vine-best-jokes-and-one-liners/

My favourite has always been "I saw my neighbour stealing my socks off my washing line, I was going to confront him but I got cold feet."

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/11/17 at 2:41 pm

I think you may be missing the point. What's happening right now in the 2010s is not some sort of "step forward". It's really just people trying to find offense in just about everything. It's one thing to feel uncomfortable with overtly offensive or demeaning jokes, such as those seen in the blackface and minstrel shows from the early 20th century. Stuff like that really wasn't very funny upon reflection.

However, it's something entirely different to look to be offended by a piece of work, even to the point of taking all the jokes within said movie out of context. An example of this would be the movie Blazing Saddles. Mel Brooks himself has claimed that the movie could not be made today. Heck even Tropic Thunder has been deemed "too offensive" and that came out less than 10 years ago! The All That skit is not what I consider "offensive". You have to realize that all the actors on that show portrayed many different types of characters. They weren't trying to paint all black people as being "ghetto". They were just creating two characters who happened to have a specific personality. You CANNOT seriously compare that to blackface. All this current 2010s "woke" culture has done is forced people to walk on eggshells when it comes to comedy (or even conversations in general). I repeat, this is NOT a "step forward". It's just a bunch of confused and misled people trying to make up all these rules about what is or isn't acceptable, whether or not these rules reflect the desires of the groups they CLAIM to represent.

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/11/17 at 2:45 pm

Precisely. And in the coming years, we'll achieve a greater understanding of where the new comedy zeitgeist is heading.

What makes you so confident that the current culture will dictate the future? For all you know, what's going on now may just be something exclusive to 2010s culture. There is NO proof that this will continue in the 2020s.

Written By: Howard on 10/11/17 at 2:47 pm

Idk what people find so funny about saying nigg*r, Jew or fag all the time. It's not even edgy by 11 year old standards. I don't get offended since it's so common but it does make people look stupid and not very intellectual.

You just don't want to stoop down to their level, it would make you feel even stupider.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/11/17 at 5:18 pm

Here in the UK, we have an awarding comedian who is famous for his one-liners, nothing racial, etc...

One good example "I've decided to sell my Hoover… well, it was just collecting dust."

Here are 50 of his best: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/television/tim-vine-best-jokes-and-one-liners/

My favourite has always been "I saw my neighbour stealing my socks off my washing line, I was going to confront him but I got cold feet."
Those are pretty funny ;D

I think you may be missing the point. What's happening right now in the 2010s is not some sort of "step forward". It's really just people trying to find offense in just about everything. It's one thing to feel uncomfortable with overtly offensive or demeaning jokes, such as those seen in the blackface and minstrel shows from the early 20th century. Stuff like that really wasn't very funny upon reflection.

However, it's something entirely different to look to be offended by a piece of work, even to the point of taking all the jokes within said movie out of context. An example of this would be the movie Blazing Saddles. Mel Brooks himself has claimed that the movie could not be made today. Heck, even Tropic Thunder has been deemed "too offensive" and that came out less than 10 years ago! The All That skit is not what I consider "offensive". You have to realize that all the actors on that show portrayed many different types of characters. They weren't trying to paint all black people as being "ghetto". They were just creating two characters who happened to have a specific personality. You CANNOT seriously compare that to blackface. All this current 2010s "woke" culture has done is forcing people to walk on eggshells when it comes to comedy (or even conversations in general). I repeat this is NOT a "step forward". It's just a bunch of confused and misled people trying to make up all these rules about what is or isn't acceptable, whether or not these rules reflect the desires of the groups they CLAIM to represent.
I'm actually glad you brought this up. I've noticed that as well especially the whole "appropriating culture" BS. It truly seems that almost everything is found offensive whether it's art, comedy, or how people are portrayed. It's exactly why I've had to hold off on my career (I'm planning to be a comedian one day) because what's the point if some folks are going to get offended?

It's really sad today how our culture has become toxic even over some minor things. People have had to apologize publicly whether it's about cultural appropriation, a silly joke or a movement. I can't think of anything that occurred 5 years ago or even a decade ago where most people were outraged over something like this.

Written By: ofkx on 12/22/17 at 6:12 pm

Yeah i miss the good ol days when people could make racist/homophobic/sexist/etc jokes and not be held accountable.

Written By: ofkx on 12/22/17 at 6:16 pm

Feel like this is relevant
https://pics.me.me/a-boop-follow-ahoybailey-this-generation-cant-take-a-joke-3104260.png

Written By: 80sfan on 12/22/17 at 6:37 pm

I don't think anyone's saying it's okay to call a black person a ******, an Asian person, a Chink, or a gay person a ******. Or say hang a kike, or whatever.

It's just sometimes people need to think before they get outraged. I agree that if a person makes an offensive joke at work that they should at least
get one written warning. Then fired after that.

Personally, I think we've lost the art of reading someone's intention. A white guy, who was a firefighter, bought a whole apartment of mostly black people, a water melon, as a gift. And they fired him, without any warning. He did it, not to mock those people in the apartment, that was like 85%+ black, but as a gift. He might not have meant to offend, or even knew that water melon was considered racist, or offensive, to black people in America.

It's stories, like the one above, that we need to think before we gain up on someone, or judge them too harshly. We can make some well intention-ed person into a villain, when they're just ignorant, or uninformed. Honestly, I think that the whole cultural appropriation outrage is unnecessary, unless the person makes fun of the culture, race, or dyes their skin brown and/or black, then I see no reason to get outraged.

Written By: ofkx on 12/22/17 at 6:49 pm

I don't think anyone's saying it's okay to call a black person a ******, an Asian person, a Chink, or a gay person a ******. Or say hang a kike, or whatever.

It's just sometimes people need to think before they get outraged. I agree that if a person makes an offensive joke at work that they should at least
get one written warning. Then fired after that.

Personally, I think we've lost the art of reading someone's intention. A white guy, who was a firefighter, bought a whole apartment of mostly black people, a water melon, as a gift. And they fired him, without any warning. He did it, not to mock those people in the apartment, that was like 85%+ black, but as a gift. He might not have meant to offend, or even knew that water melon was considered racist, or offensive, to black people in America.

It's stories, like the one above, that we need to think before we gain up on someone, or judge them too harshly. Honestly, I think that the whole cultural appropriation outrage is unnecessary, unless the person makes fun of the culture, race, or dyes their skin brown and/or black, then I see no reason to get outraged.

I'm not saying that they were right to fire him, but he should've known better than to bring something that has been attributed to demeaning stereotypes connected with black culture as a gift to black people.
Although I do agree with your last statement.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/22/17 at 7:49 pm

Yeah I agree. I miss the days when people were allowed to make jokes and people didn't get offended or threw accusations. The attitudes of people today are very restrictive and toxic. What happened to freedom of speech? We can't talk about stuff anymore in case someone else finds it touchy. This needs to end! That's one of the things I miss about the 2000s. In music, comedy, movies, shows, you can make jokes without people flipping out.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/22/17 at 7:56 pm

Yeah i miss the good ol days when people could make racist/homophobic/sexist/etc jokes and not be held accountable.

Racist/homophobic/sexist jokes aren't something to be nostalgic about.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/22/17 at 8:02 pm

I would draw the line at stereotypical. It can be silly yet funny at the same time. Jokes about hating certain races wouldn't ever be funny though and they were never around to begin with. I think ofkc was being sarcastic though.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/22/17 at 8:12 pm

I'm not saying that they were right to fire him, but he should've known better than to bring something that has been attributed to demeaning stereotypes connected with black culture as a gift to black people.
Although I do agree with your last statement.

I didn't know that watermelons were considered racist to black people until around somewhere during early college, like around age 18 to 20.
I think it's a bit severe to leave the guy with a bad reputation forever. I don't think anyone's saying that he should do it again, unless he wants his ass beat. But sometimes
a little communication, understanding, knowledge, and even forgiveness, is better than toxic anger all the time between any races.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/22/17 at 8:13 pm

Dude, I think that that was sarcasm.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 12/22/17 at 8:50 pm

He was being sarcastic.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 12/22/17 at 8:53 pm

I can deal with racial jokes as long as there are in jest and you're not doing it to purposefully mock any particular group.

If you're making racial jokes just because you like making racial jokes and you don't care what anyone says or feels about it...then that's when it becomes a problem.

Also, just like any other joke - racial jokes SHOULD be....FUNNY.

Written By: Howard on 12/23/17 at 7:25 am

Yeah I agree. I miss the days when people were allowed to make jokes and people didn't get offended or threw accusations. The attitudes of people today are very restrictive and toxic. What happened to freedom of speech? We can't talk about stuff anymore in case someone else finds it touchy. This needs to end! That's one of the things I miss about the 2000s. In music, comedy, movies, shows, you can make jokes without people flipping out.

or how about back in the early 80's where someone in a film said an offensive word dozens of times and they laughed about it without getting hurt about it.

Check for new replies or respond here...