inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Aspects of 2010's culture you liked the most

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/11/17 at 9:09 pm

Now I may complain about the 2010's the most, but there are some aspects that I like. As I mentioned in other threads I think non-mainstream music (Electro Swing, Vaporwave) to be quite good. And video games have been decent with some ground breaking AAA games and a ton of interesting indie games. Nintendo Switch is also looking good so far making the 9th console gen having a decent start. Cartoons have also been pretty nice with shows like Adventure Time and Gravity Falls being amazing (I know I'm in my late 20s watching cartoons, but I don't remember it being against the law the enjoy cartoons). Also liked early 2010s skater fashion as it reminded me of the extreme fashion that I used to have from around '98-'03.

Out of all the things about 2010's pop culture was there anything that you found some enjoyment with? It can be anything from the early, mid, or currently late part of the 2010s. Just want to have a positive thread on the 2010s. If you can't think of anything good then feel free to ignore this thread.

Subject: Re: Aspects of 2010's culture you liked the most

Written By: #Infinity on 10/11/17 at 9:19 pm

1. Acceptance and visibility for the LGBTQ community, albeit still with rigid intercultural norms.
2. YouTube being home to almost any kind of brief video entertainment you can imagine.
3. New videos being in widescreen HD.

Other than that, there’s not really anything that great about the 2010s that didn’t already exist by the mid-2000s, even though the decade is still superior to eras before that in occasional ways.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/11/17 at 9:33 pm

1. Presence of YouTube - The fact that I can so easily escape from the current state of the Top-40 charts and listen to any song that I like in great quality.
2. Variety - I can watch any show I want at any time.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/11/17 at 9:35 pm

1. Acceptance and visibility for the LGBTQ community, albeit still with rigid intercultural norms.
2. YouTube being home to almost any kind of brief video entertainment you can imagine.
3. New videos being in widescreen HD.

Other than that, there’s not really anything that great about the 2010s that didn’t already exist by the mid-2000s, even though the decade is still superior to eras before that in occasional ways.

I agree with all that. Despite the LGBTQ being in a slightly confusing situation it has become a bit more accepted than before. Before the 2010's people were still hiding their preferences. I'm mixed on Youtube as I feel it has mainly became a website for games and vlogs. But in terms of Youtube overall I do agree that it is home to almost all kinds of video entertainment. It is possible to just look past the games and vlogs and some people don't run into these videos at all. And HD is always nice to me. Spoiled me to the point where I almost click off of videos that are sub-720p.
Made me question how I was able to handle 144p and 240p back in the mid-late 00s.

Yeah, these can be traced back the to mid-late '00s now that I think about it.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/11/17 at 9:37 pm

1. Presence of YouTube - The fact that I can so easily escape from the current state of the Top-40 charts and listen to any song that I like in great quality.
2. Variety - I can watch any show I want at any time.

Loving #1 as well. I don't even listen to Top 40 radio music anymore. I just plugin my music player with my own playlist. And I like being able to stream any show at any time whether to Netflix/Hulu or Internet.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/11/17 at 9:44 pm

1. The music (except Trap rap)
2. Instant mode: I can watch/read anything and anywhere I want
3. The cartoons (some are better than some of the 00s ones)

Written By: Howard on 10/12/17 at 5:32 am

Loving #1 as well. I don't even listen to Top 40 radio music anymore. I just plugin my music player with my own playlist. And I like being able to stream any show at any time whether to Netflix/Hulu or Internet.

same here, I listen to internet radio stations and watch Netflix when there's something good to watch.

Written By: Rainbowz on 10/12/17 at 10:34 am

The 2010’s IMO have really good hip-hop/rap music. The technology is really good. I also like the fashion and the movies of this decade. 2012 was probably my most favorite year for movies in this decade.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 10/12/17 at 10:39 am

Some of you may hate me for this.
But I love the dark, gritty, imaginative television this decade has to offer.
"Ray Donovan", "Dexter" (early part of the decade), "Bloodline", "Ozark", etc, etc.
The films, OTOH, sucked for the most part (though Nightcrawler is a modern masterpiece).

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/12/17 at 12:58 pm

Despite my many complaints regarding this decade there are a few things that I do like.

- There are still some good films coming out every now and then. Granted, it's not my favorite time for movies overall, but I occasionally find a new film that I really enjoy. Examples of films (in no particular order) that I've liked would be the Planet of the Apes movies (haven't seen the most recent one), Nightcrawler, Django Unchained, The Wind Rises, Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy, Silence, It, etc. There are probably more, but those are the one's I could think of off the top of my head.

-While I haven't been to keen on 2010s gaming as a whole, I do think the 3DS is pretty cool. I've also heard that there are a lot of great indie games coming out but I haven't played them myself. 2017 in general seems a bit better for gaming. I'm looking forward to 2018 because that's when Kingdom Hearts 3 is slated for release.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 10/12/17 at 2:12 pm

1. The widespread and mainstream popularity of electronic music!
2. The TV cartoons

Written By: 2001 on 10/12/17 at 7:59 pm

The list of what I don't like would be shorter ;D

The main thing I like about it is the technology and the progressive atmosphere.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/12/17 at 9:02 pm

I'm loving this positive thread Looney Toon!  :) Here are some aspects of the 2010s that I like:

1. TV - Game of Thrones is my favourite show and the best show of all time imo. TV has been very impressive this decade.
2. Social Media - I love how easy it is to connect to the world. Great for promotion and general fun. Apps like Periscope and Swiflie are awesome in moderation. YouTube has made it easy for me to follow people I like as well.
3. Technology - VR is a lot of fun. Smartphones that came out this decade were very exciting and awesome. I loved the days when I counted down until the next new Android device came to see all the new features. Also technology has made things a lot more convenient. No more getting lost in the middle of the city and it's so easy to get information on the go.
4. Music to an extent - Some great underground rappers and catchy mainstream bangers came out this decade.
5. Fads - Whether you like them or not, there have been notable fads this decade that go mainstream. Catch phrases, memes, vines, viral videos all make for a better cultural identity this decade.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/17/17 at 8:15 am

I'm loving this positive thread Looney Toon!  :) Here are some aspects of the 2010s that I like:

1. TV - Game of Thrones is my favourite show and the best show of all time imo. TV has been very impressive this decade.
2. Social Media - I love how easy it is to connect to the world. Great for promotion and general fun. Apps like Periscope and Swiflie are awesome in moderation. YouTube has made it easy for me to follow people I like as well.
3. Technology - VR is a lot of fun. Smartphones that came out this decade were very exciting and awesome. I loved the days when I counted down until the next new Android device came to see all the new features. Also technology has made things a lot more convenient. No more getting lost in the middle of the city and it's so easy to get information on the go.
4. Music to an extent - Some great underground rappers and catchy mainstream bangers came out this decade.
5. Fads - Whether you like them or not, there have been notable fads this decade that go mainstream. Catch phrases, memes, vines, viral videos all make for a better cultural identity this decade.

I agree. Television this decade has been pretty good with a ton of praised shows. Makes me consider the 2010s as one of the best decades for television. And animated cartoons have also reached a high point with some ground breaking shows. Social Media is a bit meh to me, but only because of how it's being used. But the idea of social media isn't bad at all and being able to connect to friends from a far isn't too different than how it was being used back in the 2000s. Technology has certainly been pretty good. I've seen 2017 cars that I'd describe as a punch of computers of wheels with things like auto driving, sensing surrounding cars and objects, finger sensed locking/unlocking etc.

For music I don't like the 2010s much, but that's just mainstream (which I will admit is mainly my own biased views), however, I do like a lot of indie/DIY music that I find on youtube, bandcamp, and soundcloud. A lot of really nice songs that have been eating away at my computers harddrive as I go on downloading binges. As for fads memes in the 2010s have just been funny nonstop. This decade certainly has an identity when it comes to internet culture.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/17/17 at 10:44 pm

The 2010's is a terrific decade! The decade of Pitbull I like to call it!

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/17/17 at 10:48 pm

Being able to access nearly all the music in the world. If it weren't for YouTube I wouldn't have found out about a lot of great albums.

Written By: Rainbowz on 10/18/17 at 10:26 am

We need more threads that talk positive about the 2010’s. We have way too many hate threads.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/18/17 at 10:40 pm

We need more threads that talk positive about the 2010’s. We have way too many hate threads.

We also need less threads that talk about the supposed "Late 2008" shift or when the "true 2000s" ended.

Written By: Rainbowz on 10/19/17 at 9:34 am

We also need less threads that talk about the supposed "Late 2008" shift or when the "true 2000s" ended.

I’m tired of seeing those threads like it doesn’t even matter.

Written By: Fearsword on 10/19/17 at 3:50 pm

LGBT Rights

Access to music you want to listen to

Written By: Lizardmatum on 10/19/17 at 4:40 pm

Being able to access nearly all the music in the world. If it weren't for YouTube I wouldn't have found out about a lot of great albums.

This is a very good point. I'm the same! I do think that this aspect of the 2010's is somewhat underappreciated and taken for granted.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/20/17 at 9:59 am

Yeah, the way music is easily accessible is great. I have made over 27 different playlists of music genres that I love.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/20/17 at 10:04 am

I tend to complain on 2010's games from time to time, but I have been noticing a TON of near universally games lately. I find this good as the current gaming scene is quite cynical. Despite the pessimistic and cancerous attitudes people still give a ton of praise and enjoyment to games. Only real issue I have with modern gaming is the annoying FPS games and constant push towards multiplayer.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/20/17 at 10:16 am

I tend to complain on 2010's games from time to time, but I have been noticing a TON of near universally games lately. I find this good as the current gaming scene is quite cynical. Despite the pessimistic and cancerous attitudes people still give a ton of praise and enjoyment to games. Only real issue I have with modern gaming is the annoying FPS games and constant push towards multiplayer.

I concur with this.  I've lost all interest in multiplayer FPS games.  CoD ruined them as far as I am concerned.  I used to be quite into them back in the days of Counter Strike Source and Unreal Tournament.

Written By: Howard on 10/20/17 at 5:16 pm

Yeah, the way music is easily accessible is great. I have made over 27 different playlists of music genres that I love.

I definitely agree that internet radio music playlists have changed the way people can now listen to their own variety of music.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/21/17 at 12:45 pm

I concur with this.  I've lost all interest in multiplayer FPS games.  CoD ruined them as far as I am concerned.  I used to be quite into them back in the days of Counter Strike Source and Unreal Tournament.

It's funny to compare the feel of how multiplayer games used to be in the late 90s/early 00s vs now. I liked games such as Quake 3 and Team Fortress. I think CoD changed the image and vibe of online shooters as time moved on.

I definitely agree that internet radio music playlists have changed the way people can now listen to their own variety of music.

Internet Radios/streams give me the good vibes.  8) Listening to some Disco right now. Or I just create my own playlist. We have full freedom on what we hear. Got to the point where I'd not be aware of the latest pop songs since I don't turn on the Top 40 radio when I'm driving.

Written By: Howard on 10/21/17 at 2:18 pm

It's funny to compare the feel of how multiplayer games used to be in the late 90s/early 00s vs now. I liked games such as Quake 3 and Team Fortress. I think CoD changed the image and vibe of online shooters as time moved on.

Internet Radios/streams give me the good vibes.  8) Listening to some Disco right now. Or I just create my own playlist. We have full freedom on what we hear. Got to the point where I'd not be aware of the latest pop songs since I don't turn on the Top 40 radio when I'm driving.

I'm listening to disco right now on tunein.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/21/17 at 10:43 pm

I like the early 2000s sound, HD and music accessibility.

Hope the rest of the decade can add more to it before it finishes.

Check for new replies or respond here...