inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I'm Just Gonna Be a Pretentious Jerk

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/15/17 at 12:02 am

I try my best to be a tolerant guy. Most mainstream music isn't for me, I get it.

But what do people see in this to be number 1 in the country for so long?

PEGccV-NOm8

It's getting to the point where I'm ready for Rap to move out of the mainstream indefinitely. What is it about rap that allows the absolute lowest common denominator to rise to the top?

I hope the 2020s has the least amount of rap in the mainstream compared to every decade I've lived through. There. I said it.

Subject: Re: I'm Just Gonna Be a Pretentious Jerk

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/15/17 at 12:05 am

I'm one of these pretentious borninlewronggeneration people and I'm proud of it.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/15/17 at 12:07 am

I try my best to be a tolerant guy. Most mainstream music isn't for me, I get it.

PEGccV-NOm8

It's getting to the point where I'm ready for Rap to move out of the mainstream indefinitely. What is it about rap that allows the absolute lowest common denominator to rise to the top?

I hope the 2020s has the least amount of rap in the mainstream compared to every decade I've lived through. There. I said it.

I hate rap as well, however I think rap is just going through what plenty of other genres are experiencing as well. A decline in overall quality. When you compare the state of hip-hop in the '90s to how it is today, it's like chalk and cheese. Mainstream music today is just awful, in general.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/15/17 at 12:10 am

I'm one of these pretentious borninlewronggeneration people and I'm proud of it.

lol. I actually like rap, but man...out of all the genres, rap is the genre where the worst of it rises to the top the most.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/15/17 at 12:18 am

It's popular because in general, female empowerment anthems these days are all about having bratty hissyfits. It's impulsive catharsis. This rapper is maybe somewhat novel because of her ethnicity, but otherwise, her talent is void. Her song here is just as obnoxiously immature as Taylor Swift's "Look What You Made Me Do," it's just more generic because of its cold trap beat.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/15/17 at 12:19 am

Back in 1997, this was the biggest rap song at this point in the year...

T7aBTqnnx74

You might not like this or the Cardi B song, but you have to admit this song is far more intelligent, catchy, and long-lasting than Bodak Yellow.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/15/17 at 12:23 am

You might not like this or the Cardi B song, but you have to admit this song is far more intelligent, catchy, and long-lasting than Bodak Yellow.

Yeah, "Up Jumps da Boogie" is a million times better than "Bodak Yellow." Even Magoo sounds like Rakim compared to Cardi B here.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/15/17 at 12:23 am

It's popular because in general, female empowerment anthems these days are all about having bratty hissyfits. It's impulsive catharsis. This rapper is maybe somewhat novel because of her ethnicity, but otherwise, her talent is void. Her song here is just as obnoxiously immature as Taylor Swift's "Look What You Made Me Do," it's just more generic because of its cold trap beat.

I'm amazed Swift even released Look What You Made Me Do. It's the worst song I've ever heard from her. Some way, somehow, it actually sounds even more ridiculous than the rest of the stuff in the top 100. What was she thinking? That song sounds like it was released 10 years too late.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/15/17 at 12:25 am

I'm amazed Swift even released Look What You Made Me Do. It's the worst song I've ever heard from her. Some way, somehow, it actually sounds even more ridiculous than the rest of the stuff in the top 100. What was she thinking? That song sounds like it was released 10 years too late.

More like 15, as only 12-year-old Taylor Swift could credibly perform something that ridiculous.

Written By: Charmed17 on 10/15/17 at 12:31 am

Yeah I know the 2010s has completely awful mainstream garbage music that no decade has experienced like this in alot of decades if any.Honestly there has never been so much terrible music in the mainstream than the past 5-6 years to me.

Written By: Escondudo on 10/15/17 at 1:06 am

The song is awesome. It's popular because of the catchy lyrics and the high quality production. The grittiness and indirect women's empowerment message are also pretty well aligned with the zeitgeist. Additionally, if we want to get into music theory, the song is a hit because the loop is unusual and never gets resolved.

Sorry that you don't like contemporary music. At least you have Spotify and SoundCloud to find rock.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/15/17 at 2:02 am

The song is awesome. It's popular because of the catchy lyrics and the high quality production. The grittiness and indirect women's empowerment message are also pretty well aligned with the zeitgeist. Additionally, if we want to get into music theory, the song is a hit because the loop is unusual and never gets resolved.

Sorry that you don't like contemporary music. At least you have Spotify and SoundCloud to find rock.

The lyrics are catchy? Hmm...Can you list some of the catchy lyrics for me? I think I missed most of them.

Indirect women's empowerment message...yep. It's definitely indirect because not that many women become successful following Cardi B's road. Another "urban" song where the rapper raps about how awesome they are, how rich they are, and how everyone else is sh!t. Also, it sounds like it was written in 8 minutes and by someone with an American 6th-grade education. Amazing!!!

Don't get it twisted. I like contemporary music. There are good rappers and good rap songs being produced today. And yeah, I use Spotify and SoundCloud to find good rock music all the time...

But there will be a reckoning. People are gonna get sick of this kind of music eventually so enjoy it while it lasts.

Written By: Howard on 10/15/17 at 5:21 am

lol. I actually like rap, but man...out of all the genres, rap is the genre where the worst of it rises to the top the most.

rap lyrics these days just does not make any sense whatsoever. ::)

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/15/17 at 5:35 am

Psh! Hip Hop has been mostly bad since gangsta rap came around in 1992. I mainly only like 1970s to early 1990s rap.

Written By: LooseBolt on 10/15/17 at 6:58 am

Have you heard mainstream country? And I'm not talking about artists like Taylor Swift (who doesn't even count as country anymore) or Zac Brown Band. Also I think your OP sorta answered your own question: it's a big question with a lot of LCD people, so naturally that's the sort of music that rises to the top. That's what makes it pop culture, not high art.

That being said, although I'm not the biggest fan of Bodak Yellow, I have to disagree with your assessment that rap is at an all-time low. Maybe the best rap isn't topping the charts, but I believe it's had sort of a renaissance in recent years. Tyler, the Creator; Death Grips; the new Wu-Tang albums; the return of quality albums from Eminem. Quite the contrary, I think rap has made something of a comeback since Southern rap receded from its '00s prominence. Southern rap and its offshoots like gangsta rap, cell phone rap, etc., were holding the genre back and I think nerd rap like Tyler was the change the genre needed to get innovative again.

Written By: Charmed17 on 10/15/17 at 9:16 am

I'm just so greatful that there is at least great technology in the 2010s because honestly everything else in this decade doesn't make a lick of sense and we don't have that good mainstream so yeah to those who grew up in this decade good for you and you should like it cause you grew up in it,but for me I'm 22 and think this decade is like 85% trashiness with good technology that's it.What happened to actually pop culture I mean you can tell this is gen z no offense to you gen zers I'm just sayin.This era right now is making the 2000s and early 10s look more better everyday because the 90s and 00s and early 10s were so much fun like it felt like the whole world was lit and upright back in 2010 then shortly after you started to slowly see a huge decline in almost everything one the 2012 areived.Im not saying this decade is awful cause I did like 2010-2011,but other than that the rest of the decade has been terrible so far not saying 2018 or 2019 will but you never know.I think it's probably in a repairing stage now hopefully cause u don't see this style of culture lasting  to 2021 it will probably end probably in 2019 but hopefully coming soon in 2018.i mean i like the Nintendo switch,I think walking dead is cool,but that's it music is horrid right now and so is most everything else that's why I basically still live in the 90s cause well this era is very seldom of greatness.

I hope the 2020s will be better with music,tv,pop culture,economy,but first we as the people need to cut this whack music out,stop all this fake left right swj crap out,destroy political correctness,and make tv funny again with real jokes that makes them classics for decades to come.im a pretty greatful person but whoever started this trap heavy movement I'm my op are not that good in taste cause in the 90s trap would not be around and if it was it would of lasted like 1 or 2 years so yeah.Damn this was long but I had to say it.We can hope late 2018 will change for the better. :)

Written By: LooseBolt on 10/15/17 at 9:23 am

Maybe I'm a rare bird. I'm 27 going on 28 and I love modern music. Electropop and nerd rap was the soundtrack of my college years, and while I didn't exactly love it at the time, it has seriously grown on me.

Written By: Charmed17 on 10/15/17 at 9:28 am

Maybe I'm a rare bird. I'm 27 going on 28 and I love modern music. Electropop and nerd rap was the soundtrack of my college years, and while I didn't exactly love it at the time, it has seriously grown on me.
like I said your not a rare bird cause there are people on hear who like this decade as well but I'm just saying for me I don't like this decade except technology and walking dead and Nintendo.what makes this decade so bad is everything put in place cause I bet you 1 million bucks if left right and sjw and political correctness weren't a thing in this decade and all this phony ass women empowerment and dumb blacklives matter protest and nfl kneeling for stupid reasons and disrespecting our flag this deacde wouldn't feel like this and with it's a potentail cause of it's tech the 2010s could of been another cool unique decade deep down these mainstreamers know this decade isn't nothing to be bragging about. ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/15/17 at 9:42 am

Yeah, I have heard that song multiple times and I agree it's awful. I don't know how it's in the top 10 right now.

Psh! Hip Hop has been mostly bad since gangsta rap came around in 1992. I mainly only like 1970s to early 1990s rap.
Ah please no! ::) Not all songs after that year was gangsta rap.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/15/17 at 9:47 am

Bodak Yellow needs to disperse. Its one of the most generic songs I heard. Like, there's nothing you can gain from it.

Written By: Charmed17 on 10/15/17 at 9:48 am

Yeah, I have heard that song multiple times and I agree it's awful. I don't know how it's in the top 10 right now.
Ah please no! ::) Not all songs after that year was gangsta rap.
yeah in no way in hell has hip hop been dead since 1992 cause the 90s was a golden age for hip hop if you keeping it real hip hops been dead at least mostly since about 2007,but it progressively got worse until hip hop/rap sounds completely corny,cheesy and not about nothing and I'd say 2013-2017 destroyed hip hop and rap cause even snap rap was better no literally but I'd prefer snap rap from the mid 00s any day than the hip hop/rap of 2013-2017 it's been like whoa.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/15/17 at 10:22 am

PEGccV-NOm8

I think you may have a slave owner mentality, not being accepting of the culture represented in the video and the lyrics.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/15/17 at 11:06 am

Have you heard mainstream country? And I'm not talking about artists like Taylor Swift (who doesn't even count as country anymore) or Zac Brown Band. Also I think your OP sorta answered your own question: it's a big question with a lot of LCD people, so naturally that's the sort of music that rises to the top. That's what makes it pop culture, not high art.

That being said, although I'm not the biggest fan of Bodak Yellow, I have to disagree with your assessment that rap is at an all-time low. Maybe the best rap isn't topping the charts, but I believe it's had sort of a renaissance in recent years. Tyler, the Creator; Death Grips; the new Wu-Tang albums; the return of quality albums from Eminem. Quite the contrary, I think rap has made something of a comeback since Southern rap receded from its '00s prominence. Southern rap and its offshoots like gangsta rap, cell phone rap, etc., were holding the genre back and I think nerd rap like Tyler was the change the genre needed to get innovative again.

Hey Loose. I'm not into country so most of it all sounds the same to me. I'm not convinced about the resurgence of good rap as there has always been good rap underneath the surface.
I think southern rap also needs to die in the mainstream. It's so unfortunate because Outkast is so awesome but they were the main reason southern rap took over.  I'm not convinced Tyler The Creator will change things as much as you think but hear hear to that dream. Anyway I just made a thread to declare my official support for decreasing the influence of rap in the 2020s.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/15/17 at 11:08 am

like I said your not a rare bird cause there are people on hear who like this decade as well but I'm just saying for me I don't like this decade except technology and walking dead and Nintendo.what makes this decade so bad is everything put in place cause I bet you 1 million bucks if left right and sjw and political correctness weren't a thing in this decade and all this phony ass women empowerment and dumb blacklives matter protest and nfl kneeling for stupid reasons and disrespecting our flag this deacde wouldn't feel like this and with it's a potentail cause of it's tech the 2010s could of been another cool unique decade deep down these mainstreamers know this decade isn't nothing to be bragging about. ;D

Just to be clear, just because I hate Bodak Yellow and trap rap doesn't mean I should be put in the same category as this poster.  8)

Written By: Charmed17 on 10/15/17 at 11:11 am

Either hip hop changes soon or it will be done and become stale.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/15/17 at 11:11 am

I think you may have a slave owner mentality, not being accepting of the culture represented in the video and the lyrics.

I know you enough to know this is a parody.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/15/17 at 11:11 am

False. Gangsta rap was started in the West Coast (Los Angeles area).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/15/17 at 11:12 am

I know you enough to know this is a parody.

What's a parody?

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/15/17 at 12:08 pm

What's a parody?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parody

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/15/17 at 12:14 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parody

No, I know what a parody is. What were you calling a parody?

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/15/17 at 1:05 pm

No, I know what a parody is. What were you calling a parody?

He said "I think you may have a slave owner mentality, not being accepting of the culture represented in the video and the lyrics." I've seen enough of his posts to know he doesn't think like this. He's doing a parody of "woke" people.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/15/17 at 5:14 pm

yeah in no way in hell has hip hop been dead since 1992 cause the 90s was a golden age for hip hop if you keeping it real hip hops been dead at least mostly since about 2007,but it progressively got worse until hip-hop/rap sounds completely corny, cheesy and not about nothing and I'd say 2013-2017 destroyed hip hop and rap cause even snap rap was better no literally but I'd prefer snap rap from the mid 00s any day than the hip hop/rap of 2013-2017 it's been like whoa.
Hell yeah it was! There are lots rap songs from that time that are considered the greatest by a lot of folks. It gets tiring when some people say that 90s rap was full of gangsta tones when that really wasn't the case. Even not all 00s rap was southern, crunk or even snap.

I hope it does. I'm' really tired of hearing Trap rap being played at this point.

Back in 1997, this was the biggest rap song at this point in the year...

T7aBTqnnx74

Yeah, "Up Jumps da Boogie" is a million times better than "Bodak Yellow." Even Magoo sounds like Rakim compared to Cardi B here.
I agree. That song is the bomb! :)

Her song here is just as obnoxiously immature as Taylor Swift's "Look What You Made Me Do," it's just more generic because of its cold trap beat.

I also agree that Look What You Made Me Do is just as awful as Bodak Yellow. In fact, I have listened to T-Swift's second new song Ready For It, and it sounds awful and immature as the other two.

Written By: 2001 on 10/15/17 at 5:17 pm

It's not very good. I think she could have done a lot with her interesting backstory, instead of denigrating her past lifestyle. I'm still cautiously optimistic she might still do that.

Written By: Howard on 10/16/17 at 5:30 am

In what way? ???

Written By: bchris02 on 10/16/17 at 11:01 am

PEGccV-NOm8

I actually really like that song.  It's much better than much of what was coming out in the mid '10s.  I really like that music is becoming more danceable and corny again.

As for hip-hop, I was starting to feel that way ca 2007 near the end of the ringtone rap era.  Then the late '00s/early '10s happened which renewed my enjoyment of hip-hop.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/16/17 at 3:46 pm

I actually really like that song.  It's much better than much of what was coming out in the mid-'10s.  I really like that music is becoming more danceable and corny again.
I agree it's corny, but I wouldn't say it a song to dance to. It screams more of "Look at where I am now. I made it!"

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/16/17 at 3:53 pm

I actually really like that song.  It's much better than much of what was coming out in the mid '10s.  I really like that music is becoming more danceable and corny again.

As for hip-hop, I was starting to feel that way ca 2007 near the end of the ringtone rap era.  Then the late '00s/early '10s happened which renewed my enjoyment of hip-hop.

Different strokes for different folks but most of trap rap has been super corny if you ask me. I don't see this songs dancey appeal. I can see the "I made it, haters!" aspect but I'm so ready for that to die. How long has rap been that?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/18/17 at 1:32 pm

2017 is definitely one of the worst years for mainstream music in this decade.  8-P

Check for new replies or respond here...