inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: US adult obesity rate hits 40% — and shows no signs of slowing down

Written By: 2001 on 10/15/17 at 10:06 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/13/health/adult-obesity-increase-study/index.html

Obesity among all US adults reaches all-time high

39.6% of adults and 18.5% of children in the US are obese, new report says

The United States will not be escaping the obesity epidemic crisis anytime soon: Nearly 40% of adults and 19% of youth are obese, the highest rate the country has ever seen in all adults, according to research released Friday by the National Center for Health Statistics.

Since 1999, there has been a staggering rise in the prevalence of obesity, particularly in adults, without any "signs of it slowing down," according to the study's lead researcher, Dr. Craig Hales, medical epidemiologist at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Youth obesity rates seem to be more stable in recent years. However, it is "too early to tell" what direction youth obesity prevalence will take. At least four more years of data are required to truly understand the direction, Hales said.

Hispanic adults had an obesity rate of 47% and Non-Hispanic black adults a rate of 46.8% in 2015-16, the new report showed, with non-Hispanic white adults at 37.9% and Asian adults at 12.7%.

Among youths, Hispanics and non-Hispanic blacks also had higher rates of obesity, at 25.8% and 22% respectively, compared with 14% of non-Hispanic whites and 11% of Asians.

-----

This comes on the heels of a WHO report showing that worldwide childhood obesity has increased ten-fold since four decades ago, and that the globale rate of childhood obesity is expected to surpass the rate of childhood undernourishment by 2022. :o

Subject: Re: US adult obesity rate hits 40% — and shows no signs of slowing down

Written By: Rainbowz on 10/18/17 at 2:05 pm

I'm reading this thread while eating a bag of cheez-its

Subject: Re: US adult obesity rate hits 40% — and shows no signs of slowing down

Written By: HeyJealousy on 10/18/17 at 2:08 pm

Strange. I don't see it where I live.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 10/18/17 at 2:09 pm

I should elaborate. The younger-age population, where I live, are not as profoundly obese as the article makes them out to be.
The older population is, though not to that extent.

Written By: Howard on 10/18/17 at 2:38 pm

The problem is were having way too much salted and sugared items almost all the time.

Check for new replies or respond here...