inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Nicki Minaj the most consistent artist this decade?

Written By: bchris02 on 10/20/17 at 1:19 am

Of the big artists that are commonly associated with '10s culture, it seems like Nicki Minaj has been the most consistent.  She has had major hits every year this decade since her breakthrough at the end of 2009.  Other artists such as Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Adele, etc have had their highs and their lows this decade.  Not Nicki Minaj.  She has consistently hit big with both her own stuff and as a guest artists for a variety of rappers.  Do you think she is the most consistent artist this decade?

I think her impact on '10s culture is very underrated.

Subject: Re: Is Nicki Minaj the most consistent artist this decade?

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/20/17 at 1:49 am

Of the big artists that are commonly associated with '10s culture, it seems like Nicki Minaj has been the most consistent.  She has had major hits every year this decade since her breakthrough at the end of 2009.  Other artists such as Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Adele, etc have had their highs and their lows this decade.  Not Nicki Minaj.  She has consistently hit big with both her own stuff and as a guest artists for a variety of rappers.  Do you think she is the most consistent artist this decade?

I think her impact on '10s culture is very underrated.

Yeah she might be the most consistent, but definetly not the biggest

Written By: Fearsword on 10/20/17 at 7:59 am

I would say Katy Perry would be more consistent than Nicki Minaj. She's had a top 5 hit like every year this decade.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/20/17 at 2:13 pm

I would say Katy Perry would be more consistent than Nicki Minaj. She's had a top 5 hit like every year this decade.

I don't think she had one in 2015 though :P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/20/17 at 2:26 pm

Yeah, I have to agree that she is the most consistent artist. Whether she is on the same level as Katy Perry and T-Swift or not, she has thousands of songs on the radio for the past several years.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/20/17 at 4:48 pm

She consistently sux.

Written By: annimal on 10/20/17 at 4:51 pm

it sounds like it's good I don't know

Written By: bchris02 on 10/20/17 at 5:57 pm

Yeah, I have to agree that she is the most consistent artist. Whether she is on the same level as Katy Perry and T-Swift or not, she has thousands of songs on the radio for the past several years.

Yeah I didn't say she was the best, just the most consistent.  Lady Gaga was most relevant in the early '10s.  Katy Perry has had her ups and downs.  Same with Adele and Taylor Swift.  Nicki Minaj has been consistent since late 2009 when "Bed Rock" came out.

Written By: Fearsword on 10/21/17 at 4:29 am

I don't think she had one in 2015 though :P

Yeah you're right, on the ARIA charts she went for 2 years between August 2014-July 2016 without charting. It certainly doesn't feel like she ever went away lol. Nicki Minaj is the only artist that i've seen have a top 50 hit in every year this decade.

Written By: Fearsword on 10/21/17 at 4:51 am

I've looked at the ARIA chart(my country's charts) histories of Nicki Minaj and several other artists this decade. It appears that Nicki Minaj is the only artist to have a Top 50 hit(lead artist or featured) in EVERY single year so far this decade. Other successful artists I searched all seemed to have that one year where they were pretty much non-existent on the music scene.

For example, Nicki Minaj's biggest hit from each year this decade include:
2010-Check It Out! ft. WillIam(#23 ARIA)
2011-Turn Me On ft. David Guetta(#3 ARIA)
2012-Starships(#2 ARIA)
2013-Love More ft. Chris Brown(#29 ARIA)
2014-Bang Bang ft. Jessie J and Ariana Grande(#4 ARIA)
2015-Hey Mama ft. David Guetta(#5 ARIA)
2016-Side to Side ft. Ariana Grande(#3 ARIA)
2017-Swalla(#17 ARIA)

But Justin Bieber didn't have a hit in 2014, Katy Perry 2015 and Taylor Swift 2011. Although, most of Nicki Minaj's success has been as a result of featuring on the other artist's songs so it's still debatable whether she deserves the title as the most consistent

Written By: bchris02 on 10/21/17 at 10:10 am

I've looked at the ARIA chart(my country's charts) histories of Nicki Minaj and several other artists this decade. It appears that Nicki Minaj is the only artist to have a Top 50 hit(lead artist or featured) in EVERY single year so far this decade. Other successful artists I searched all seemed to have that one year where they were pretty much non-existent on the music scene.

For example, Nicki Minaj's biggest hit from each year this decade include:
2010-Check It Out! ft. WillIam(#23 ARIA)
2011-Turn Me On ft. David Guetta(#3 ARIA)
2012-Starships(#2 ARIA)
2013-Love More ft. Chris Brown(#29 ARIA)
2014-Bang Bang ft. Jessie J and Ariana Grande(#4 ARIA)
2015-Hey Mama ft. David Guetta(#5 ARIA)
2016-Side to Side ft. Ariana Grande(#3 ARIA)
2017-Swalla(#17 ARIA)

But Justin Bieber didn't have a hit in 2014, Katy Perry 2015 and Taylor Swift 2011. Although, most of Nicki Minaj's success has been as a result of featuring on the other artist's songs so it's still debatable whether she deserves the title as the most consistent

Are you sure her biggest hit from 2011 was "Turn Me On" and not "Super Bass"?  In the US, Super Bass as #8 and was probably her biggest hit that year (and still one of her most well known).  Turn Me On came in at #35.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 10/21/17 at 12:42 pm

I don't like her. Never have, never will.
I remember when she first broke through with "Super Bass". Catchy the first few times, but it got old fast.
Then again, I'm mostly an "alternative rock and classic country" kinda guy

Written By: Fearsword on 10/21/17 at 3:41 pm

Are you sure her biggest hit from 2011 was "Turn Me On" and not "Super Bass"?  In the US, Super Bass as #8 and was probably her biggest hit that year (and still one of her most well known).  Turn Me On came in at #35.

This is just going by the Australian charts. Super Bass peaked at #6 over here. Though you could say Super Bass was probably the bigger hit if Turn Me On wasn't a 'smash' hit over in the US.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/21/17 at 5:22 pm

I don't like her. Never have, never will.
I remember when she first broke through with "Super Bass". Catchy the first few times, but it got old fast.
Then again, I'm mostly an "alternative rock and classic country" kinda guy

I prefer the version of "Super Bass" that Karmin did. I wonder whatever happened to her? She has not had any songs out for a while.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1167791.1348600913!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_750/karmin.jpg

Written By: HeyJealousy on 10/21/17 at 8:21 pm

I prefer the version of "Super Bass" that Karmin did. I wonder whatever happened to her? She has not had any songs out for a while.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1167791.1348600913!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_750/karmin.jpg

Never heard of Karmin. If her music is as fine as her body is, then maybe the music industry overlooked yet another talent.

Written By: 2001 on 10/21/17 at 9:23 pm

Never heard of Karmin. If her music is as fine as her body is, then maybe the music industry overlooked yet another talent.

I wonder how Photoshopped that photo is?  ???

Written By: annimal on 10/21/17 at 9:28 pm

she got legs?

Written By: bchris02 on 10/21/17 at 10:05 pm

This is just going by the Australian charts. Super Bass peaked at #6 over here. Though you could say Super Bass was probably the bigger hit if Turn Me On wasn't a 'smash' hit over in the US.

Turn Me On was big in the US, just not as big as Super Bass.

One thing I've always liked about Nicki Minaj is that half her songs are catchy party songs and club anthems and the other half sound quite urban.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/21/17 at 10:44 pm

she got legs?

She does. Haha See her Anaconda VMA's performance.

Written By: Fearsword on 10/21/17 at 11:08 pm

Karmin have released songs since then(they're actually a brother-sister duo) but they've barely charted or received any airplay. Probably for the better, their 2013 hit "Acapella" was quite irritating.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/22/17 at 6:47 am

Karmin have released songs since then(they're actually a brother-sister duo) but they've barely charted or received any airplay. Probably for the better, their 2013 hit "Acapella" was quite irritating.

I did not know that they were brother and sister. I was aware they are married though.

Written By: Fearsword on 10/22/17 at 5:50 pm

I did not know that they were brother and sister. I was aware they are married though.

Sorry my bad they are only related by marriage. I just saw they had the same surname and just assumed they were brother and sister.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/01/17 at 1:40 am

I don't know if you remember this or not, but "Turn Me On" was also used in Channel Ten's promos for 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePkS7DA5Cys

Check for new replies or respond here...