inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2018 predictions?

Written By: HeyJealousy on 10/23/17 at 3:02 pm

What do you think will change in 2018, if anything changes at all?
When will the changes set in?
What will the atmosphere be like?

Subject: Re: 2018 predictions?

Written By: Rainbowz on 10/23/17 at 3:18 pm

Idk but I think maybe new artists will start to come in and their songs will reach the billboards. Music will start to sound a bit different by late 2018 and by then we will truly be in late 2010's culture. I'm bad with predictions so I just like to see what happens.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/23/17 at 4:11 pm

I am predicting these things as far as music.

-An electropop resurgence.
-Pop punk elements making its way into mainstream music (though I don't see a full-fledged revival of the early '00s sound).  I think EDM/pop-punk fusion is on its way.
-Trap remains popular but falls from being the dominant hip-hop sound.
-R&B revival continues
-Disco revival dies

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/23/17 at 4:44 pm

2018:

* Early 2018 will still have the same vibe as now, although it may be more politically and socially intense.
* North Korea and the US will be in the midst of a war.
* There will be more elements of rock in new releases (i.e the guitar solo in "Wild Thoughts")
* A pop-punk song may enter into the Top 50 at some point.
* Pop music will be less electronic influenced
* The hipster sub-culture will gradually begin to decline.
* There will be a change in vibe/atmosphere around June or July 2018.
* We may begin to experience the earliest signs of 2020s culture towards the end of the year, although they will be subtle.
* A new boy-band may emerge onto the scene around Late 2018/Early 2019.
* There will be further backlash against smartphone and social media culture.
* If tensions continue to boil between North Korea and the US, we may witness a catastrophic event (e.g nuclear strike) happen towards the middle or end of the year.
* The earliest signs of a backlash against the cynicism of this decade may begin to form.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/23/17 at 5:30 pm

2018:

* Early 2018 will still have the same vibe as now, although it may be more politically and socially intense.
* North Korea and the US will be in the midst of a war.
* There will be more elements of rock in new releases (i.e the guitar solo in "Wild Thoughts")
* A pop-punk song may enter into the Top 50 at some point.
* Pop music will be less electronic influenced
* The hipster sub-culture will gradually begin to decline.
* There will be a change in vibe/atmosphere around June or July 2018.
* We may begin to experience the earliest signs of 2020s culture towards the end of the year, although they will be subtle.
* A new boy-band may emerge onto the scene around Late 2018/Early 2019.
* There will be further backlash against smartphone and social media culture.
* If tensions continue to boil between North Korea and the US, we may witness a catastrophic event (e.g nuclear strike) happen towards the middle or end of the year.
* The earliest signs of a backlash against the cynicism of this decade may begin to form.

I agree, with the exception of the rock revival.  I don't foresee an early 2000s style rock revival and I don't think electronic music is going anywhere.  I think rock elements will continue to make its way back into the mainstream but I don't see a full-fledged revival.  If we were ripe for it, Revolution Radio by Green Day would have been much bigger than it was.

If there is a nuclear strike, it will altar the mood in this country in a way that makes 9/11 look like childsplay.  If the US and North Korea get into a war and nukes are used, we could be in a very different world in 2019 than we are in now.  I would also expect complete economic collapse in the event that happens as well.  It's likely that even the Great Depression/WWII would be looked at fondly compared to what we would be dealing with.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/23/17 at 5:34 pm

More 2018 predictions? ::) Uhh can't we just get through October-end of 2017

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/23/17 at 5:35 pm

Being honest, I'm quite surprised were already at 2018 :o I didn't even think 2008 was that long ago and now we will be going into the 2020s!

Written By: #Infinity on 10/23/17 at 5:37 pm

The pessimism in this thread is downright absurd. Why, in a world with the United Nations do you people think we’ll end up in a global conflict that makes World War II seem insignificant? Even if North Korea did nuke a city (which, granted, would still be downright mortifying), there would be a global insurrection effort against them because of diplomacy no longer being an option.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/23/17 at 5:43 pm

I agree, with the exception of the rock revival.  I don't foresee an early 2000s style rock revival and I don't think electronic music is going anywhere.  I think rock elements will continue to make its way back into the mainstream but I don't see a full-fledged revival.  If we were ripe for it, Revolution Radio by Green Day would have been much bigger than it was.

If there is a nuclear strike, it will altar the mood in this country in a way that makes 9/11 look like childsplay.  If the US and North Korea get into a war and nukes are used, we could be in a very different world in 2019 than we are in now.  I would also expect complete economic collapse in the event that happens as well.  It's likely that even the Great Depression/WWII would be looked at fondly compared to what we would be dealing with.

I don't there will be a full-fledged revival either, but I do see rock having more of an influence on new releases. Green Day's "Revolution Radio" was probably released at the wrong time, to be honest. I think it would have probably performed a bit better if it had of come out during Donald Trump's tenure. Also, generally speaking, elements of rock have only made a return to the mainstream this year. 2017 has experienced the likes of songs such as "Sign of the Times" and "Malibu", whereas 2016 was completely EDM, trap and disco-revival. There were only two "rock" songs which charted last year.

I really hope a war between the US and North Korea doesn't eventuate, but I honestly can't see anything not happening. Something will happen.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/23/17 at 5:49 pm

Being honest, I'm quite surprised were already at 2018 :o I didn't even think 2008 was that long ago and now we will be going into the 2020s!

2007-2008 still feel like yesterday for me. I miss them. :(

Written By: #Infinity on 10/23/17 at 5:50 pm

I really hope a war between the US and North Korea doesn't eventuate, but I honestly can't see anything not happening. Something will happen.

So, is it not possible for fighter jets to take out a nuclear missile that has to travel thousands of miles across the Pacific Ocean just to reach America’s borders? This isn’t like the Cuban Missile Crisis, in which the weapons of mass destruction were just next door to Florida and there was no Internet. North Korea had been testing missiles and talking crap for over a decade now, and they still don’t have the political leverage to engage in total war with the First World and expect to win.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/23/17 at 5:54 pm

So, is it not possible for fighter jets to take out a nuclear missile that has to travel thousands of miles across the Pacific Ocean just to reach America’s borders? This isn’t like the Cuban Missile Crisis, in which the weapons of mass destruction were just next door to Florida and there was no Internet. North Korea had been testing missiles and talking crap for over a decade now, and they still don’t have the political leverage to engage in total war with the First World and expect to win.

There are two scenarios that are very scary.

1) Trump pre-emptively strikes NK with a nuclear weapon.  China and/or Russia unleash their arsenal against the US in response.  North Korea doesn't have the capability at the current time to do much damage to the US mainland, but China and Russia do.

2) Trump attacks NK conventionally, but they respond by nuking Seoul and Tokyo (which they have the capability to do).  The US responds by nuking Pyongyang.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/23/17 at 5:56 pm

Yeah, but the US didn't have an incompetent President at the time either. I wouldn't put it past Trump if he simply decided to one day launch a nuclear attack on North Korea. The point is, it has reached a point now where it is more likely than not, that something will happen. In what form it will be, I don't know, but I think it's ludicrous to suggest that nothing will happen at any point.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/23/17 at 6:00 pm

Yeah, but the US didn't have an incompetent President at the time either. I wouldn't put it past Trump if he simply decided to one day launch a nuclear attack on North Korea. The point is, it has reached a point now where it is more likely than not, that something will happen. In what form it will be, I don't know, but I think it's ludicrous to suggest that nothing will happen at any point.

The only way to prevent a nuclear war at this point, I believe, is for Trump to be removed from office, something that is extremely unlikely before at least the 2018 midterm elections.  Problem is that Trump's base still strongly supports him and Congress will never move to impeach such a popular President unless they have a smoking gun.

Pence will have his own issues.  He is likely to unleash an all-out assault on the LGBT community but I think he would keep us out of nuclear war.

Written By: Escondudo on 10/23/17 at 6:23 pm

My 2018 prediction depends on the outcome of Mueller's investigation of Trump and Russia. It's coming to an end soon, so it's difficult to envision the fallout in 2018 and beyond.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/24/17 at 12:37 am

- Democrats will plan to win the midterms which is very important
- Trump will be impeached
- New stars will emerge to change the direction of music
- Nintendo Switch will be more significant
- The DCCU will take off

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/24/17 at 12:40 am

- The DCCU will take off

Don't think it will happen.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/24/17 at 12:42 am

Don't think it will happen.
It will with these investigations and other events.

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/24/17 at 12:48 am

It will with these investigations and other events.

What if it turns out the Democrats were justing chasing a white whale with this Russia thing?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/24/17 at 12:52 am

What if it turns out the Democrats were justing chasing a white whale with this Russia thing?
That will be bad because it push them to losing the midterms next year. So far though, there's some evidence that Russia had something to do with last year's election and the Trump administration.

Written By: Howard on 10/24/17 at 7:20 am

More 2018 predictions? ::) Uhh can't we just get through October-end of 2017

I know I agree.

Written By: Howard on 10/24/17 at 7:21 am

- The DCCU will take off

God I hope so.

Written By: Fearsword on 10/24/17 at 8:45 pm

I feel EDM infused pop punk will become popular

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/24/17 at 8:59 pm

I feel EDM infused pop punk will become popular

Good god, I just want pop punk to die already.

Written By: 2001 on 10/24/17 at 9:02 pm

I can almost hear you singing Shut up, shut up, I don't wanna hear it :D

Written By: Fearsword on 10/24/17 at 9:07 pm

I can almost hear you singing Shut up, shut up, I don't wanna hear it :D

Nothing you say today is gonna bring me down  ;)

Written By: bchris02 on 10/24/17 at 11:33 pm

It has been dead for the most part since 2003.  There have been a few hits scattered across the years since then but pop-punk as a major player in pop music died around the time Bowling for Soup stopped being popular.  Post-grunge died in 2010.  Since 2010, there has been very little rock at all in the mainstream.

I am not necessarily rooting for a pop-punk comeback if the genre is going to be as we remember it.  However, I think a new rock genre that is influenced by pop punk could be just what is needed to really bring rock back.  I think the current landscape is ripe for EDM-infused pop-punk and there is some stuff already coming out.  Whether or not it catches on, we've yet to see.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/24/17 at 11:58 pm

-A major flu epidemic will arise
-Taylor Swift will be making headlines
-A very famous celebrity will die
-Trap music will fall off the face of the earth

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/25/17 at 12:20 am

A huge medical crisis when bugs/viruses become resistant to antibiotics.

Written By: Howard on 10/25/17 at 2:21 pm

I want disco to come back.

Written By: John Titor on 10/25/17 at 7:14 pm

It has been dead for the most part since 2003.  There have been a few hits scattered across the years since then but pop-punk as a major player in pop music died around the time Bowling for Soup stopped being popular.  Post-grunge died in 2010.  Since 2010, there has been very little rock at all in the mainstream.

I am not necessarily rooting for a pop-punk comeback if the genre is going to be as we remember it.  However, I think a new rock genre that is influenced by pop punk could be just what is needed to really bring rock back.  I think the current landscape is ripe for EDM-infused pop-punk and there is some stuff already coming out.  Whether or not it catches on, we've yet to see.

false 2006

Tons of hits on the radio were pop punk

Fall out boy hello?

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/24/18 at 9:30 pm

2018:

Wow this prediction was actually kind of correct  :o

Written By: 2001 on 02/24/18 at 9:35 pm

false 2006

Tons of hits on the radio were pop punk

Fall out boy hello?

Some people consider bands like Fall Out Boy, Taking Back Sunday, and Boys Like Girls to he emo. Even All American Rejects gets included sometime for some reason. The line is a bit blurry since a lot of the pop punk bands from the early 2000s adopted the new "emo" sound themselves.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/24/18 at 9:47 pm

Some people consider bands like Fall Out Boy, Taking Back Sunday, and Boys Like Girls to he emo. Even All American Rejects gets included sometime for some reason. The line is a bit blurry since a lot of the pop punk bands from the early 2000s adopted the new "emo" sound themselves.

I've always considered FOB emo but with a bit of punk influence like MCR. Them being pop punk became news to me in 2017. ???
I don't know, when I think of pop punk they certainly don't come to mind.

Written By: 2001 on 02/24/18 at 11:26 pm

I've always considered FOB emo but with a bit of punk influence like MCR. Them being pop punk became news to me in 2017. ???
I don't know, when I think of pop punk they certainly don't come to mind.

The line is very thin and blurry, for example would you consider "Just A Kid" by Simple Plan (from 2002) emo or pop punk? At the time it was always considered pop punk because MySpace wasn't around yet, but the song isn't any less whiny than Sugar We're Going Down ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/25/18 at 5:36 am

another school shooting may occur
someone else will come out and get accused of rape

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/25/18 at 1:10 pm

The line is very thin and blurry, for example would you consider "Just A Kid" by Simple Plan (from 2002) emo or pop punk? At the time it was always considered pop punk because MySpace wasn't around yet, but the song isn't any less whiny than Sugar We're Going Down ;D

At the time, I did consider Simple Plan to be pop punk. That's because I actually heard them being referred to as a pop punk band when they were popular. Never heard FOB being referred to as pop punk until last year. It may be because I was never a huge fan of them though. I knew their singles but didn't pay them much attention.

Simple Plan may be the whiniest "pop punk" band ever lol. "Welcome to my Life", "Perfect", "I'm Just a Kid." Man I can't believe I used to like this stuff. They are definitely one of the reasons pop punk used to get made fun of by some people. I can't even listen to them anymore.

Check for new replies or respond here...