inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I'm noticing a more macho,right, testosterone culture coming in!

Written By: Charmed17 on 10/24/17 at 8:09 am

I was reading a quote in another topic and I seen mentioned they noticed music was getting slightly better,more macho,right wing, baggy clothing testosterone culture slowly forming and all this is true and am really excited do you think it's getting like this slowly,and it's even showing up in tv and to me the is getting better as well with these cool new shows.What do you guys think.

Subject: Re: I'm noticing a more macho,right, testosterone culture coming in!

Written By: #Infinity on 10/24/17 at 8:27 am

There's no reason you couldn't have just quoted Eric (MistaEazy-EMAN95) and allowed the ongoing thread to go from there, as opposed to starting an entirely new topic.

Personally, I think this "macho, right" culture is kind of exaggerated. I suppose bro-country came back from its slump in popularity with the infamous "Body Like a Back Road," plus a few more hits by Florida Georgia Line, but otherwise, 2017 culture has been far more a pro-diversity backlash against Trump than a conservative infiltration of the progressive culture that prevailed under Obama.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 10/24/17 at 9:05 am

We've had countless threads on this topic man...

I agree with Infinity, theres some right wing/masculine trends appearing in pop culture, bug overall things seem to be largely liberal for the most part. Now how long this may last, is more of a question 'when' rather than 'if', as large societal/pop cultural changes usually occur every 8-10 years. Once could claim that the 2016 election drew the seeds for a cultural change, but with the historically low approval ratings for Trump & the immense backlash we've seen, I doubt that'll be the case. I think for now, your just going to see more conservative undertones in pop culture (more wartime dramas on TV/Film are a good example of this), but until their some massive political shift, the country and pop culture as whole will continue to be liberal.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/24/17 at 11:49 am

I was reading a quote in another topic and I seen mentioned they noticed music was getting slightly better,more macho,right wing, baggy clothing testosterone culture slowly forming and all this is true and am really excited do you think it's getting like this slowly,and it's even showing up in tv and to me the is getting better as well with these cool new shows.What do you guys think.

Yup I was the one that made that quote. After seeing the summer blockbuster films and the newer TV series, It seems like a new wave of testosterone type of culture returning. Not so sure about fully right wing, cause politics is a different story. But yeah, Television and Cinema has brought some badassness back!! :D 8) 

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/24/17 at 11:49 am

There's no reason you couldn't have just quoted Eric (MistaEazy-EMAN95) and allowed the ongoing thread to go from there, as opposed to starting an entirely new topic.

Personally, I think this "macho, right" culture is kind of exaggerated. I suppose bro-country came back from its slump in popularity with the infamous "Body Like a Back Road," plus a few more hits by Florida Georgia Line, but otherwise, 2017 culture has been far more a pro-diversity backlash against Trump than a conservative infiltration of the progressive culture that prevailed under Obama.

Exactly... I think he kinda sorta missed the point I made in the other thread. He added politics in his post. I was strictly talkin about Movies and Television.

We've had countless threads on this topic man...

I agree with Infinity, theres some right wing/masculine trends appearing in pop culture, bug overall things seem to be largely liberal for the most part. Now how long this may last, is more of a question 'when' rather than 'if', as large societal/pop cultural changes usually occur every 8-10 years. Once could claim that the 2016 election drew the seeds for a cultural change, but with the historically low approval ratings for Trump & the immense backlash we've seen, I doubt that'll be the case. I think for now, your just going to see more conservative undertones in pop culture (more wartime dramas on TV/Film are a good example of this), but until their some massive political shift, the country and pop culture as whole will continue to be liberal.

We've had other topics like this before? ???  Guess when I was gone. ;D
Yup. Movies and Television have seen quite a shift regarding the overall tone. Politically and musically, things are a different story.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/24/17 at 1:02 pm

Exactly... I think he kinda sorta missed the point I made in the other thread. He added politics in his post. I was strictly talkin about Movies and Television.

I really don’t see how Stranger Things and It are “macho” or “conservative.” The fact that they’re set when Reagan and Bush ‘41 were President, respectively, has absolutely no impact on their content. The closest equivalent would be Stranger Things’ government conspiracy subplot, but even so, that isn’t really biased towards either side the political spectrum.

One of the most successful movies of 2017 is Wonder Woman, a total antithesis of Trumpism.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/24/17 at 1:20 pm

I really don’t see how Stranger Things and It are “macho” or “conservative.” The fact that they’re set when Reagan and Bush ‘41 were President, respectively, has absolutely no impact on their content. The closest equivalent would be Stranger Things’ government conspiracy subplot, but even so, that isn’t really biased towards either side the political spectrum.

One of the most successful movies of 2017 is Wonder Woman, a total antithesis of Trumpism.

I NEVER even said they were conservative...good grief. ???  As a matter of fact, those weren't even the type of TV & movies I was talking about originally. Those are different genres. I was mostly referring to what I talked about earlier; Baby Driver, Dunkirk, Spiderman Homecoming, Logan, SWAT, Seal Team, The Brave, Valor those are what I was referring to. Even Zelda and Markese(UltraGamerDog) both agreed.  But to each his or her own I guess. ;D

Written By: #Infinity on 10/24/17 at 3:29 pm

I NEVER even said they were conservative...good grief. ???  As a matter of fact, those weren't even the type of TV & movies I was talking about originally. Those are different genres. I was mostly referring to what I talked about earlier; Baby Driver, Dunkirk, Spiderman Homecoming, Logan, SWAT, Seal Team, The Brave, Valor those are what I was referring to. Even Zelda and Markese(UltraGamerDog) both agreed.  But to each his or her own I guess. ;D

This made it seem like you were lumping Stranger Things and It under the same general category he considered “conservative,” in addition to “macho” and “testosterone:”

And yes, Stranger Things is ANOTHER series I forgot to mention regarding the TV shift. That and the IT reboot movie are both examples of how things have shifted from totally dark and depressing to dark, good Ol testosterone filled gritty fun.

It sounds like you were disagreeing over the political undertones of late 2010s movies and television being conservative, which I of course totally agree with you over. I guess the confusion is just that extreme machoism is usually correlated with conservative traditionalism, and I don’t sense that type of general backwardness in either the examples I listed, not when both male and female characters are active fighters, even if both have to be occasionally rescued.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/24/17 at 6:52 pm

This made it seem like you were lumping Stranger Things and It under the same general category he considered “conservative,” in addition to “macho” and “testosterone:”

It sounds like you were disagreeing over the political undertones of late 2010s movies and television being conservative, which I of course totally agree with you over. I guess the confusion is just that extreme machoism is usually correlated with conservative traditionalism, and I don’t sense that type of general backwardness in either the examples I listed, not when both male and female characters are active fighters, even if both have to be occasionally rescued.

Naw, I wouldn't lump the different genres together to describe the shift,  but Stranger Things and IT seem like they are fun, breathtaking, and cool while being dark at the same type similar to some old types of thrillers. They don't seem like your typical dark depressing tone type shows and films of the past, which is a warm welcome.

Also, It's cool, about the misunderstanding. You are indeed correct, I don't think culture became more conservative. However culture got that escapist, cool, fun, badassery vibe coming back under the summer movies and the newer crop of shows premiering. Hell, even Wonder Woman was testosterone filled fun to a degree. ;D ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/24/17 at 6:59 pm

It don't get more macho and testosterone-laden than Mister Worldwide.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/62/33/60/623360c496fd36642cad67f64690c094--pitbull-images-pitbull-rapper.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 10/24/17 at 7:37 pm

I can't say I've noticed this. I don't watch TV though. I think most people don't. Everyone is on Netflix, HBO, Amazon, Hulu etc. nowadays and those are only going in a more progressive direction. They explore a lot of themes that would have been too controversial for traditional TV.

Baggy clothing started last year with the oversized sweaters.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/24/17 at 8:15 pm

I can't say I've noticed this. I don't watch TV though. I think most people don't. Everyone is on Netflix, HBO, Amazon, Hulu etc. nowadays and those are only going in a more progressive direction. They explore a lot of themes that would have been too controversial for traditional TV.

Baggy clothing started last year with the oversized sweaters.

That is all indeed VERY true. Those bigger market networks are less testosterone filled(WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE MARVEL NETFLIX SERIES ::)) than regular television. But that may change in the future, you just never know.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/24/17 at 8:58 pm

I think you are seeing what you want to see.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/25/17 at 2:52 pm

I think you are seeing what you want to see.

Nope, he noticed what I've been noticing for a while this year. It looks to be pretty fun so far.  8)
I also can't wait to see the new Blade Runner and Thor Ragnarok, both look like they're testosterone filled fun. :D

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/25/17 at 8:12 pm

Nope, he noticed what I've been noticing for a while this year. It looks to be pretty fun so far.  8)
I also can't wait to see the new Blade Runner and Thor Ragnarok, both look like they're testosterone filled fun. :D

I'm not convinced. The new Blade Runner and Thor movie seems about right for the franchise stuffed 2010s.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/26/17 at 5:34 pm

I'm not convinced. The new Blade Runner and Thor movie seems about right for the franchise stuffed 2010s.

Well... that's your opinion. But you're gonna have to admit that Thor trailer had that badass vibe tho. :D

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/27/17 at 6:14 pm

Well... that's your opinion. But you're gonna have to admit that Thor trailer had that badass vibe tho. :D

I'm welcome to having my mind changed but you guys aren't really giving me anything.

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/28/17 at 3:22 pm

I'm seeing more teens skateboarding outside. Skateboarding, in a post-2006 world. :o

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/28/17 at 3:23 pm

I'm seeing more teens skateboarding outside. Skateboarding, in a post-2006 world. :o

That's true I saw it this past summer downtown in St. Louis and Chicago! :o

Written By: 2001 on 10/28/17 at 3:24 pm

My uni campus is basically a game of survival of me dodging hover boards, skateboards and bicycles. Actually I'm the kid on the bike lol.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/28/17 at 3:45 pm

That's true I saw it this past summer downtown in St. Louis and Chicago! :o
So, I take it that skateboarding is a masculine thing?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/28/17 at 3:47 pm

Nope, but it is a cool, testosterone booster tho. ;) ;D

Written By: 2001 on 10/28/17 at 3:47 pm

I saw plenty of skateboarding in the mid-2010s though, with "skater fashion" being popular too. I think there was a thread about it in 2015.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/28/17 at 3:53 pm

I can see why you weren't a fan of the Obama administration. It did seem for most of his presidency, there was a huge explosion of feminity.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/28/17 at 4:16 pm

I can see why you weren't a fan of the Obama administration. It did seem for most of his presidency, there was a huge explosion of feminity.

Yeah and it got progressively worse, ESPECIALLY in the black community.  :\'( >:(  A LOT(not all) of things I liked during my formative years went DOWNHILL during his administration, a lot things also became water down and became either commercialized or started catering to niche audiences.  Now a good portion of those things are returning to their glory.  :)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/28/17 at 4:21 pm

Yeah and it got progressively worse, ESPECIALLY in the black community.  :\'( >:(  A LOT(not all) of things I liked during my formative years went DOWNHILL during his administration, a lot things also became water down and became either commercialized or started catering to niche audiences.  Now a good portion of those things are returning to their glory.  :)
Is there a chance you can list them on what went wrong?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/28/17 at 4:31 pm

Is there a chance you can list them on what went wrong?

Oh I can go on all day about this, but I'll make it short and sweet.

Pro-wrestling, (although it started to go downhill during Bush's 2nd term) became completely watered down product and got EVEN MORE boring;
video gaming became overexposed, commercialized and we got COD clones and open world assassin creed rip offs, gaming stopped being diverse
MARVEL comics sold out in the mid 10s trying to appeal to the SJW crowd and forgot who their fans are.
Movies kinda went downhill in the mid 2010s compared to what they were like in the early 10s.
Television got kinda boring for me in the mid 2010s, it became too dark and depressing
and don't even get me started on the decline of the Social climate. That was by far the worst part.
Music became too pop sounding and woman dominated(hate to sound sexist). The decline of rock and R&B were a VERY VERY rude awakening for me.
The black community became even worse due to the portrayal by the media and the attacks on our people.
The overabundance of female dominating material across mainstream television. Again don't want sound mean, but TV got a little bit too female dominated for me. I just didn't fee like their target viewer anymore.
I guess the 00s backlash kinda hurt and it was pretty obvious during the earlier part of Obama's administration,  but boy I didn't expect his term to end up like that.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/28/17 at 4:56 pm

I'm just glad things are starting to feel more fun, organic, bad-ass & cool again. :)  It felt missing the past few years. :\'(

Written By: John Titor on 10/28/17 at 5:40 pm

Oh I can go on all day about this, but I'll make it short and sweet.

Pro-wrestling, (although it started to go downhill during Bush's 2nd term) became completely watered down product and got EVEN MORE boring;
video gaming became overexposed, commercialized and we got COD clones and open world assassin creed rip offs, gaming stopped being diverse
MARVEL comics sold out in the mid 10s trying to appeal to the SJW crowd and forgot who their fans are.
Movies kinda went downhill in the mid 2010s compared to what they were like in the early 10s.
Television got kinda boring for me in the mid 2010s, it became too dark and depressing
and don't even get me started on the decline of the Social climate. That was by far the worst part.
Music became too pop sounding and woman dominated(hate to sound sexist). The decline of rock and R&B were a VERY VERY rude awakening for me.
The black community became even worse due to the portrayal by the media and the attacks on our people.
The overabundance of female dominating material across mainstream television. Again don't want sound mean, but TV got a little bit too female dominated for me. I just didn't fee like their target viewer anymore.
I guess the 00s backlash kinda hurt and it was pretty obvious during the earlier part of Obama's administration,  but boy I didn't expect his term to end up like that.

Society also took a dark turn for apps, have you noticed Sugar Daddy/sugar baby sites getting more popular? As well as Escort sites?
My friend was using one, and I typed in my Zip Code, and a bunch of people from my area I know popped up looking for  "intimate encounter for cash"

It is actually scarier when I saw it, have you noticed this as well?  It seems that is something that really began to rise in the dark 2010s culture, somewhere around 2015/2016, there is even a video on it

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/07/19/sites-say-expose-insta-models-who-are-really-prostitutes.html

Nik Richie, founder of The Dirty.com, told FOX411 he began to see call girls using the social media app around three years ago.
“I started getting swarms of submissions to TheDirty.com from guys debunking female modeling careers because these women would constantly be flashing cash, private jet flights and exotic trips, but they had no jobs,” Richie told FOX411. “Their IG photos flaunted the ultimate lifestyle only afforded by rich men.”

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/28/17 at 5:48 pm

Jesus. The last thing the black community needs is testosterone. Maybe with more estrogen, the guys will be less likely to shoot each other over the pettiest bullcrap.

I'm a black man btw. I'm pulling that card.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/28/17 at 6:07 pm

I don't think it boosted this dude's testosterone. (Warning, possibly NSFW)

dHTvv8C2_aE

Check for new replies or respond here...